PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Rode a Parlee Z3sl to Victory !!

bike_it
08-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Check out the photo of Tyler with Bob Parlee picking up his new Parlee Z3sl that he rode winning the Mt. Washington Hill Climb last weekend. Enjoy!

FunkyPorcini
08-22-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't know...Tyler just doesn't seem to be a black-on-black kinda guy.

wasfast
08-22-2005, 03:36 PM
It seemed odd to me that you'd have a front derailleur and outside chainring on a hill climb bike. In the case of Mt Washington, you're on the inside ring exclusively it would seem. Same logic of having only a large ring for TT's.

Tyler was obviously wanting the bike as light as possible based on the other posts I've seen so taking off parts seems reasonable.

coylifut
08-22-2005, 03:39 PM
maybe he didn't want to repeat David Millar's tour prologue debacle of a couple years ago.

my2cents
08-22-2005, 03:40 PM
i find the fact that he has so many spacers under his stem interesting. i wonder how custom the sizing was for him? and this wasn't just because he was just picking up the bike and hadn't adjusted it for himself - pictures from the race show he rode the same set-up.

Ken Lehner
08-22-2005, 03:46 PM
i find the fact that he has so many spacers under his stem interesting. i wonder how custom the sizing was for him? and this wasn't just because he was just picking up the bike and hadn't adjusted it for himself - pictures from the race show he rode the same set-up.

He would never use the drops in this race, and aerodynamics wasn't an issue.

Bill Bove
08-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Are those track marks on his arms?

Fixed
08-22-2005, 03:53 PM
No B.B.Bro. I think he's a road only rider oh yeah does do Mt. bike too but I don't think goes to the track.Cheers

weisan
08-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Did he say..."Believe Me"??? :rolleyes:

slowgoing
08-22-2005, 04:07 PM
They almost look like twins, standing there like that, don't they?

lnomalley
08-22-2005, 05:28 PM

i often climb out of the saddle and in the drops. a lot of climbers do.

JohnS
08-22-2005, 06:05 PM
i often climb out of the saddle and in the drops. a lot of climbers do.
I don't think on Mt. Washington.

Dr. Doofus
08-22-2005, 06:38 PM
afore ye piss and moan

a tha bars o tyler

mateys

spy the drops o 'is fo-nack bikes

if 'is drops 'r 'igh on tha parrrrghleey

tis some strange beast to port

if n 'is drops 'r same as same

yerrallfullofit mayteys

arrghhhhh oofd needs a wench

he does

arrrrrghhhhh

Dekonick
08-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Ive seen alot of track marks in my time...

Nope.

They aren't track marks.

Are they tire marks left by climb? More likely.

Climb - we are proud of you! :D

Kevin
08-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Who needs Tyler, we have Climb. :beer:

Kevin

Elefantino
08-22-2005, 07:42 PM
maybe he didn't want to repeat David Millar's tour prologue debacle of a couple years ago.

Millar HAD a front derailleur during the Tour prologue a couple of years ago.

inthegutter
08-22-2005, 08:50 PM
No he didn't. That's why he had to try and put it back on by hand. It was a chainring problem anyways, nothing to do with the front derailler not being on.

Anybody else getting a little sick of the Climb love fest and the Tyler bashing? Both are getting a little old...

jerk
08-22-2005, 09:00 PM
no and no.

climb's a no good doper who shouldn't have been alowed to enter the stupid race and tyler is a good guy who trained hard and should have listened to the jerk about using a mountain bike crank but still he's the jerk's pal and he's allowed a big thumbs under the armpit poses next time he sees the jerk.

oh, wait. strike that and reverse it.

jerk

lnomalley
08-22-2005, 11:50 PM
here's tyler on mount washington... and gasp he's in his drops. maybe after you teach him how to climb the right way you can come teach me? that's not to say you dont spend a lot of time on your hoods but it is to say you don't know what youre talking about.

slowgoing
08-23-2005, 12:09 AM
I'm a little surprised Tyler used the high profile rims on such a windy race.

The Spider
08-23-2005, 02:51 AM
Schmolke handle bar- Out of Germany, very light 160 grams +/-, what was most impressive was how stiff they were for an extremely lightweight carbon bar.

Syntace F99 stem- 97 grams, machined AL stem. Also stiff.

M2 Racer headset- 37 grams (vs. Chris King 120+ grams) the weight is very impressive but the set up was a major pain in the but, and the durability of such a thin bearing??

M2 Racer Seat and seat post-

Zipp 202 wheels- 1000+ grams, a nice tubular carbon wheel (he also had a set of lightweight wheels.)

Zipp crank with American classic BB- about 170 grams lighter than the Dura Ace ten speed set up.

Easton SLX 43 rake fork

Wipperman Hollow pin chain-

jeffg
08-23-2005, 03:04 AM
didn't win on a Schwinn Varsity it would have been a debacle. He was still roughly two minutes off Danielson's mark with an 11 pound superbike. Maybe Tyler should enter some gran fondo events and race Rumsas when the latter's not in custody ...

As for sick of climb love and tyler bashing, I affirm the jerk's negations. Tyler's doing a Rumsas and can't reclaim the record on a non-UCI legal bike with no doping controls and Climb gave his heart and soul on one mother of a challenge given the weather.

Climb01742
08-23-2005, 03:56 AM
should have listened to the jerk about using a mountain bike crank

senor, i tried. finally found a 172.5 MTB crank but it was a triple. rode it for three days but the wider Q factor started tweaking my ever-funky right leg. had to switch to a compact FSA and a 33. agree 100% MTB chainring is the way to go. in my litany of bonehead moves was not getting the gearing straight sooner. but hey, i have about 360 days to get it right for 06.

inthegutter, i'm not bashing tyler. he was incredibly nice to everyone at the top of the mountain saturday. he stood, said hello to everyone who wanted to, took pictures with people, hung out down at the bottom during lunch for a long time, was just a nice guy all day. to have come as close to the record as he did on that day, in that weather, is no small feat. ned overend was also very friendly and open with everyone too. sorry you're having to endure all this.

Andreu
08-23-2005, 04:06 AM
curious.....I have done alot of races with stretches of climb as steep if not steeper than Mt Washington and have seen riders on the drops. Are you referring to something else?
A

CarbonSports
08-23-2005, 04:12 AM
Zipp 202 wheels- 1000+ grams, a nice tubular carbon wheel (he also had a set of lightweight wheels.)

Both pics clearly show that heīs using Lightweights.

202īs donīt have a high flange carbon hub and fiber spokes and they are a shallow-rim wheelset.

Climb01742
08-23-2005, 04:53 AM
also, look at the picture above closely. it's hard to tell for sure, but look at tyler's chain. could he, in this picture, be on his 53? given how freaky light everything else is on his bike, would he have had a 53 just as a chain guard? it's almost unimagineable to mere mortals but there were stretches on the road where you heard strong riders downshifting (just on their rear cassettes for 99.9999% of riders.) but if tyler were going for the record, and he felt fit, and given his experience on the mountain, maybe he knew a few places where he wanted a 53 option? just pure guessing...

one other thing about this photo...folks at the top said that the weather came in just as tyler was crossing the finish. later, above the tree line looked far different.

jeffg
08-23-2005, 05:04 AM

did/do!

The Spider
08-23-2005, 05:18 AM
He obviously decided on the Lightweights....the spec says (he also had a pair of lightweights).

Would you decide to go lightweight vs. Zipp 202 because of cross-winds (or lack there-of)? I wonder why you would choose one over the other?

CarbonSports
08-23-2005, 05:36 AM
I wonder why you would choose one over the other?

I didnīt talk to Tyler before, but I highly assume itīs about stiffness and therefore power transfer.

We have no measured stiffness data on 202īs, but on 303īs which should be stiffer than the low-profile 202.

http://www.carbonsports.com/Produkte/Lightweight/Test/TOUR2002/Steifigkeit.gif

See complete mag test here if you like (http://www.carbonsports.com/LW_Test_Tour2002.lasso)

If not that - maybe just for the look of the bike? :rolleyes:

jeffg
08-23-2005, 05:51 AM
senor, i tried. finally found a 172.5 MTB crank but it was a triple. rode it for three days but the wider Q factor started tweaking my ever-funky right leg. had to switch to a compact FSA and a 33. agree 100% MTB chainring is the way to go. in my litany of bonehead moves was not getting the gearing straight sooner. but hey, i have about 360 days to get it right for 06.

inthegutter, i'm not bashing tyler. he was incredibly nice to everyone at the top of the mountain saturday. he stood, said hello to everyone who wanted to, took pictures with people, hung out down at the bottom during lunch for a long time, was just a nice guy all day. to have come as close to the record as he did on that day, in that weather, is no small feat. ned overend was also very friendly and open with everyone too. sorry you're having to endure all this.

Climb:

What about an FRM CU-2 MTB double? You get a 44/29 setup, better Q, 9 speed easy?

The Spider
08-23-2005, 05:58 AM
Carbonsports, I was only looking at those stats the other night!

I love that TOUR magazine, makes me wish I could read German!

So many brilliant small workshops in Germany producing great stuff that so many of us don't know about (THM, Schmolke, Tune, Lightweight, Storck) becasue they have small marketing budgets.

With the 202 vs. lightweight (and I was trying to think why you wouldn't go lightweight) with a huge wind could low profile be safer up Mt Washington?

CarbonSports
08-23-2005, 06:08 AM
With the 202 vs. lightweight (and I was trying to think why you wouldn't go lightweight) with a huge wind could low profile be safer up Mt Washington?

Crosswind is not really critical while climbing steep mountains, it can become critical on decents, though.
Steffen Wesemann (T-Mobile) kept bugging us to make low-profile wheels to be save in any decent even with high-crosswinds. We listened to him and developed them.

Tyler had none of the new Lightweight "Ventoux", Iīm 100% sure. Only Wese and this guy (http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/aug05/germany05/index.php?id=stage4/cycling-tourofgermany--20) have tried them in races yet.

http://photoalbum.powershot.de/fotos/55/17//be51686b2a3a8999f20de62123391b84.jpg

Elefantino
08-23-2005, 06:22 AM
No he didn't. That's why he had to try and put it back on by hand. It was a chainring problem anyways, nothing to do with the front derailler not being on.

Anybody else getting a little sick of the Climb love fest and the Tyler bashing? Both are getting a little old...

Yes he did. This was his bike. :)

Carboner
08-23-2005, 06:35 AM

202īs donīt have a high flange carbon hub and fiber spokes and they are a shallow-rim wheelset.

I think that's a photo from another year. Here's one from the mt-washington.com website dated Saturday the 20th. note what he's wearing and the wheels.

TimD
08-23-2005, 07:13 AM
White seat stays and USPS kit.

TimD

JohnS
08-23-2005, 07:32 AM
here's tyler on mount washington... and gasp he's in his drops. maybe after you teach him how to climb the right way you can come teach me? that's not to say you dont spend a lot of time on your hoods but it is to say you don't know what youre talking about.
I may have been wrong, but do you have any pics from THIS year?

Climb01742
08-23-2005, 08:30 AM
tyler definitely wore his foundation kit saturday.

Roy E. Munson
08-23-2005, 08:36 AM
http://www.jsmcelvery.com/2005mw.html

csb
08-23-2005, 08:42 AM
thanks roy

Jeff N.
08-23-2005, 08:47 AM

202īs donīt have a high flange carbon hub and fiber spokes and they are a shallow-rim wheelset.Right. Those are Lightweights. Jeff N.

lnomalley
08-23-2005, 10:54 AM
I may have been wrong, but do you have any pics from THIS year?
you are makng me crabby.
yeah that's a pic from postal days from a 20 second google search just to prove a point. i'm sure as more pics make their way onto to the net you'll find a few on your own. it was said matter of fact that no one would ever climb that climb in the drops .. i dont think the year matters. so i posted a picture of tyler climbing in the drops on that climb where you said people dont do that *scratches head* and then you got on me for being right (you may have been wrong? nope, you're just plain wrong, its no big deal, i still love you). i enjoy this forum and everybody is entitled to an opinion and to make a mistake. i'm snappy because i am tired of guys stating 'facts' about stuff as if they know what they are talking about when clearly they don't know what they are talking about. why not be honest and say you don't know? and why get all defensive about it?

riding in your drops on a steep climb is done all the time (in fact in italy it's almost the norm. seriously, watch he italians style of climbing, there is a national style. its funny) and saying as a blanket statement that there is no need for a big chainring during a steep uphill race is just ignorance (watch some pantani footage). just be ok with not knowing stuff. people believe what they read and even if this is a forum, there has to be some responsibility for the writer to have knowledge of his facts. just because people reading this don't know that you are clueless and then they read what you write and believe it and it becomes some sort of fat guy know it all dogma. ok, i'm being mean but i said i was crabby. i'm sure you are a chill dude.

any bozo that's got enough miles, has raced a bunch, or has even watched enough racing on tv knows that people climb in the big ring and in the drops. go try and hit the steepest part of your local climb out of the saddle but in the drops, feel it engage those muscles, nice, huh?

i'm just asking for a little twinge of a pause before you speak out. it makes this a better forum. and while i am at it.. i had a chance to ride a dragonfly up a major climb in la, alternating between the dragonfly and a ti bike and.. the dragonfly felt like a piece of dead wood climbing. i was looking at getting one till i rode it... man that bike sucked FOR ME climbing wise (i think the stays were too soft and too long for my liking). so, saying that the dragonfly is as good as the carbon serotta is dumb until you ride one side by side, no? no dig at calfee, they are good people working hard to make the best product possible. you can see their blood and sweat in the effort and i love that they exist an an option. and that's just my opinion. you might like yours but when i think of them i feel like i have hair in my mouth. they look cool though. just not for me. they guy that owned it was pretty bummed too. he offered to buy my bike on the spot. i really almost got one...and i'm sure it was the wrong rig for me (and just me). i know guys that love theirs more than life.

how about this, no more blanket postulations? talk from direct experience, or be honest that you are making stuff up as you go along or call it out as an opinion. me, i'm just a skinny, crappy, old cat 3, masters bozo. most poeple have forgotten more than i know.... but yes, out of the saddle and in the drops is a great way to climb. and i'm only mad because i'm getting attitude from you for being correct.

just like this whole comment makes me look lame. but at least i don't feel crabby anymore. as for millar, he was qouted as saying it wasn't the new AERODYNAMIC chain rings, it was his ds's fault for using them, while his ds said it was because millar 'REMOVED his front gear changer to save weight'.
that's a qoute from sports illustrated of all places, and its searchable as well.

what about this is causing debate? i love informed opinions and i love facts. let's not confuse the two because i think it makes this really entertaining forum a drag.
i may be a hater but at least i fact check or speak from direct experience...
have fun out there and let's all go out and work on riding a little everyday. you can never be too smooth.

great now i feel like a jerk.
;)

JohnS
08-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Actually, I was surprised that he climbed part of it in his drops. I know people climb in their drops, I do it sometimes, myself. I was just surprised on a hill that steep and long, with really no respite, that he would do it.

Ken Lehner
08-23-2005, 11:02 AM
curious.....I have done alot of races with stretches of climb as steep if not steeper than Mt Washington and have seen riders on the drops. Are you referring to something else?
A

I certainly misspoke. He would likely use the drops, but not very much. Having the bar tops higher (for more sustained climbing) would be more important than having low drops.

But what do I know?

Ken Lehner
08-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Yes he did. This was his bike. :)

No, he didn't. Here's him on his bike during the race without a front derailleur.

Hopefully, that will end this speculation.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour.php?id=photos/2003/tour03/prologue/003millar_monique

inthegutter
08-23-2005, 11:44 AM
shazam! :p

Keith A
08-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I don't know when, in relation to the race, the picture of Tyler was taken where he is just standing there -- but it interesting to note that he is in the big chainring. This maybe just for show, but it may have been that he was getting ready to start the race in the big ring.

FunkyPorcini
08-23-2005, 01:47 PM
She must be a velodromist or a bike messenger.

Keith A
08-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Another big ringer from the 2nd place finisher Anthony Colby...

http://www.jsmcelvery.com/photos/2005/road/mw/mw05colby1.jpg

Dr. Doofus
08-23-2005, 02:31 PM
arghhh matey

thar's na thing amiss with 'is bars

nar 'is spacers

nar 'is wheels

arghhhhhh

I'm just an old Sea-Doof

arrrrrrrghhhhh

the wench sartainly puts a wind in th'sails

Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh

JohnS
08-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Another big ringer from the 2nd place finisher Anthony Colby...

http://www.jsmcelvery.com/photos/2005/road/mw/mw05colby1.jpg
When is a "big" ring not a BIG ring?

Climb01742
08-23-2005, 02:55 PM
many riders had just one chainring. might this be a 34?

wasfast
08-23-2005, 03:25 PM
you are makng me crabby.
and saying as a blanket statement that there is no need for a big chainring during a steep uphill race is just ignorance (watch some pantani footage). just be ok with not knowing stuff. people believe what they read and even if this is a forum, there has to be some responsibility for the writer to have knowledge of his facts.

any bozo that's got enough miles, has raced a bunch, or has even watched enough racing on tv knows that people climb in the big ring and in the drops. go try and hit the steepest part of your local climb out of the saddle but in the drops, feel it engage those muscles, nice, huh?

Crabby hardly addresses it. I'll say this. I commented that the use of a large chain ring (which I'm saying is the standard 53t) on a long hillclimb like Mt Washington seems unnecessary, especially when the goal on the bike itself was ultralightweight.

The pictures listed above clearly show Tyler (THIS YEAR!) using the inside chainring with the largest rear cog. Since the gradients of MW are not much below 12% ANYWHERE, I'm not sure where he was going to unleash his large chainring.

Yes, some folks use the large chainring on climbs, usually for attacks and short bursts of speed. This would seem outside the ride discussed here.

Just for the record, I was a former national level rider so I'm not just an armchair fingerpointer. Now you've made me crabby and I'm not sure it's at all worth it.

weisan
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
I was a former national level rider so I'm not just an armchair fingerpointer

Thus the name: WAS---FAST :D

ino-pal and fast-pal, you guys need to contact William at this number (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=118245&postcount=36): 36 24 36 hey.

lnomalley
08-23-2005, 03:47 PM
somebody wrote as fact that there is no need for drops .. that they are never used. i just chimed in that i use them in steep climbs and that it isnt uncommon. and then i was refuted (which is rude cuz i'm right), so i posted an image that took all of three seconds to find.
just like the one of hamilton's rig in the 52 or 53 or whatever it is.

its not a big deal. its just this forum is getting weird with guys getting agro about info that they really haven't wrapped their heads around and that is a drag. my wordy response is all self mockery. take it as you like.

my mom can beat your mom up and she raced in europe. grrrrrrrrr. i'm just suggesting that it's cool to admit you don't know when you don't know. i am willing to let mr. hamilton choose his own gearing before i comment that it's wrong.

internet posts do this.. people deindividuate and are relatively anonymous and they throw credibility aside in order to participate. then they say stuff and get agro and weird for no reason. i'm just making fun of that.

as for me, i usually accelerate in a smaller gear and maintain tempo in a bigger one just to get the load off the lungs and into the legs every now and then. i find trying to jump in a bigger gear doesnt work, cuz it takes a little longer to get it rolling. i'm encouraging you all to reach down for the drops every now and again while out of the saddle, engage your core and see what happens especially in a steep bit.

bike_it
08-23-2005, 04:48 PM
How did we get from "Hey Tyler won on a Parlee" to ???????? all of this. As a Parlee owner I was excited to see him ride to victory! Thats it.

Politics, or tech its gotten over the top. Take three breadths, and breath out. Always great to hear about technique, to each his own that makes it interesting. Or have we become Judge, Jurror and Hangman here? Thanks for reading, and maybe considering?

The Spider
08-24-2005, 03:26 AM
Boy, do I like the look of those shallow Lightweights....damn nice.

I've also started to notice (which probably means its been going on for 35 years) that folks are using a shallow front and deep rear...

Reasoning being...

deep = stiff, for power transfer

shallow = steering, less wind interference.

Some of the companies, Mavic (ES K) and Campagnolo (Euros 06) are starting to do wheelsets with the shallow/deep thing...

Anyone set up like this?

The Spider
08-24-2005, 03:27 AM
oops

The Spider
08-24-2005, 03:30 AM
oops

BumbleBeeDave
08-24-2005, 07:01 AM
Ino and Was, MY mom was an East German shotputter and could beat up BOTH your moms at the SAME TIME!

So LIGHTEN UP! That’s an ORDER! Go from THIS . . . :argue: . . . to THIS . . . :beer: :beer: :beer: . . . and let’s talk about, uh, cycling?

HA!

BBD

Keith A
08-24-2005, 07:28 AM
many riders had just one chainring. might this be a 34?On AC's bike, it looks like a double compact drive with both rings on -- but then I could be wrong as it isn't obvious from this low res image.