PDA

View Full Version : OT: Peyton Manning (released by Colts)

Louis
03-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I don't think that should surprise anyone.

1) Will he ever play again?

2) Where?

tuxbailey
03-06-2012, 09:41 PM
I hope not in Washington. The last thing Daniel Snyder needs is to pay big bucks to acquire a big time QB in the twilight of his career.

Of course, history tends to repeat itself and he will certainly do this to milk more money from the fans.

MattTuck
03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
1.) Depends if the guy he's backing up gets hurt.
2.) No idea...

soupless
03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Will he be a Jet?

It will not be pleasant for Isray if he goes somewhere else and kicks ass.

They should've given him the $28M and begged him to retire.

firerescuefin
03-06-2012, 09:46 PM
1.) Depends if the guy he's backing up gets hurt.
2.) No idea...

I can tell you he won't be "backing up" anyone. His nerves have regenerated quite a bit over the last 4-6 weeks and he has had great workouts at Duke, monitored by David Cutcliffe...his OC at Tennessee. I wouldn't bet against him.

roydyates
03-06-2012, 09:52 PM
I am sure he wants to play. After all, can he retire when Eli is +1 on super Bowl victories.

To me, the Jets and the Bears are the obvious teams to pursue him. Maybe Seattle or Minnesota too? I'd rule out Washington because he will want to avoid playing for a loser. The Bears are the geographic choice since he could continue to live near Indy and limo-commute to chicago? However, maybe Cutler is healthy?

Of course, this sort of speculation is based on him being healthy.

soupless
03-06-2012, 09:53 PM
No, you should never bet against him.

I bet the possibility of being eclipsed by his younger brother will add some fuel to the fire.

azrider
03-06-2012, 09:56 PM
If i were a betting man i'd put $500 on him coming to Arizona

vqdriver
03-06-2012, 10:01 PM
I can't imagine being in a spot to shell out 28mil out of loyalty but man do I feel for Peyton. No winners here.

akelman
03-06-2012, 10:01 PM
I am sure he wants to play. After all, can he retire when Eli is +1 on super Bowl victories.

To me, the Jets and the Bears are the obvious teams to pursue him. Maybe Seattle or Minnesota too? I'd rule out Washington because he will want to avoid playing for a loser. The Bears are the geographic choice since he could continue to live near Indy and limo-commute to chicago? However, maybe Cutler is healthy?

Of course, this sort of speculation is based on him being healthy.

He doesn't live in Indy, does he?

firerescuefin
03-06-2012, 10:04 PM

Has a house in Miami...which supposedly one of the favorites.

roydyates
03-06-2012, 10:05 PM
I just assumed it since he played there for so long but actually I have no idea.

rounder
03-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Who knows what is going through Peyton's mind. If it were me, I would vote for hanging them up.

I remember watching Johnny Unitas at the end of his career (used to go to the games). He was hobbling around with cracked ribs at the end of his career and teams still aimed for him. I think he ended up playing for San Diego. I have his autograph...penmenship was beautiful. In the end, he could not even hold a pen.

fourflys
03-06-2012, 10:07 PM
been a Colts fan since Jim Harbaugh was the QB... I see #18 going to Miami or Washington...

I'll still wear my #18 Colts Jersey with pride for one of the best QB's the NFL will ever see...

akelman
03-06-2012, 10:17 PM
I'll still wear my #18 Colts Jersey with pride for one of the best QB's the NFL will ever see...

I'm not a huge fan, but I can't see how anyone can credibly argue otherwise. He was, even in high school (I watched him play twice when he was at Newman), absolutely great.

akelman
03-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Wow, I'm old. (Though apparently not as old as Rounder.)

pdmtong
03-06-2012, 10:45 PM
My wife inverted while mountain biking a few years ago. She had her neck fused. Turns out Peyton had the exact same procedure on the same vertebrae as my wife.

All I can say is if he gets pancaked by a 300# lineman, the outcome will not be good. My wife is in excellent physical shape, 6-pack abs, low body fat etc. But there is not much you can do to exercise your neck fusion. To this day she does better mtb on our dirt tandem than on her single, and downhill or body surfing still results in much advil after the fact.

He has the money and the ring and the HOF. IMHO he should quit while he is ahead. Or plan on being debilitated later in life.

So what if little brother has two. Let it go.

rwsaunders
03-06-2012, 10:49 PM
He has the money and the ring and the HOF. IMHO he should quit while he is ahead. Or plan on being debilitated later in life. So what if little brother has two. Let it go.
+1

Louis
03-06-2012, 10:50 PM
I assume the docs are telling him that it's relatively low risk (compared to "regular football risk," which of course is not trivial).

If it isn't, then he's a fool to continue.

leooooo
03-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Let it go.

The creme de la creme don't let it go, that's what makes them elite.

rugbysecondrow
03-07-2012, 07:48 AM
I am not sure releasing him outright is the right move. Certianly they could have gotten something of value for him via trade or picks. I am not an expert on the salary cap, so obviously that was a consideration, but it seems an outright release was not best for the Colts.

PQJ
03-07-2012, 07:52 AM
He's done. Put a fork in him. Next. (None of this will prevent some team spending oodles of $$ on him, however.)

firerescuefin
03-07-2012, 07:56 AM
He's done. Put a fork in him. Next. (None of this will prevent some team spending oodles of $$ on him, however.)

Based on what? I'd take that bet.care to wager.

Dave B
03-07-2012, 08:02 AM
He made $27mil this year for doing squat...I think the Colts have paid enough.

Who cares where he plays, it is going to be for a team who isn't going to give up the control of the offense to him as the Colts did.

Say what you want about how great he is, but he has choked in some pretty big games...a lot!

Granted I am a Pats fan and will miss the rivalry, but he will end up doing well for a team that is lacking what he needs to win another SB.

tele
03-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Miami has to be the frontrunner at this point: Fins owner has some serious $$ and wants a big time qb. AZ would be second, maybe J-E-T-S but then what happens to Dirty Sanchez?

Dave B
03-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Miami has to be the frontrunner at this point: Fins owner has some serious $$ and wants a big time qb. AZ would be second, maybe J-E-T-S but then what happens to Dirty Sanchez?

They will finally have a decent excuse to cut him.

Rexy will talk more smack and still lose to the Pats.

firerescuefin
03-07-2012, 08:23 AM
I am not sure releasing him outright is the right move. Certianly they could have gotten something of value for him via trade or picks. I am not an expert on the salary cap, so obviously that was a consideration, but it seems an outright release was not best for the Colts.

My understanding is this is pretty much all the Colts could do. They were up against the date where they were going to have to pay is 2012 salary. No one was willing to make the trade and take that contract on. As a free agent, he has already stated that he is more than happy to sign a performance/incentive laden contract. Would love to see him in SF, but Harbaugh seems pretty committed to Smith.

tele
03-07-2012, 08:25 AM
They will finally have a decent excuse to cut him.

Rexy will talk more smack and still lose to the Pats.
Amen brother

rwsaunders
03-07-2012, 08:47 AM
My understanding is this is pretty much all the Colts could do. They were up against the date where they were going to have to pay is 2012 salary. No one was willing to make the trade and take that contract on. As a free agent, he has already stated that he is more than happy to sign a performance/incentive laden contract. Would love to see him in SF, but Harbaugh seems pretty committed to Smith.

You are correct....they would have to have paid him $28MM whether he ever took another snap or not.

dekindy
03-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Yes, Indianapolis.

Dave B
03-07-2012, 09:07 AM

Yep, pick up the $28mil and a 4 year contract.

I hear you on Harbaugh on Smith, but really, if Manning was interested you have got to think they would ditch Smith to back up duties.

What about baltimore? That would be an awesome twist of irony. Good defense, guys who can catch...Look at how far they have gone with their QB.

I still think the Jets make sense. I don't want that, but it makes a lot of football sense.

bikerboy337
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
I heard he's gonig to go to New England and back up Tom Brady... ;)

Seriously... i hope either the Jets or Miami... would be so much fun to have him in the AFC East and play him 2x a year...

PQJ
03-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Based on what? I'd take that bet.care to wager.

I'll have you a gentlemanly bet, fwiw. Peyton had crested the proverbial hill before his injury. In light of his injury, his age, the fact that he's been out an entire season, I think he's done as a force to be reckoned with. However, the Peyton brand is still strong and that's what another team will pay $$ for.

mistermo
03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
I'll have you a gentlemanly bet, fwiw. Peyton had crested the proverbial hill before his injury. In light of his injury, his age, the fact that he's been out an entire season, I think he's done as a force to be reckoned with. However, the Peyton brand is still strong and that's what another team will pay $$ for.

I agree, but want to remind everyone that a "crested" Brett Favre resuscitated life into a dismal Vikings team. It took an OT field goal to keep him out of another Super Bowl. Peyton, IF healthy, isn't done.

But the Colts had no other choice, and Peyton left them with no other option.

firerescuefin
03-07-2012, 10:23 AM
There are lineman, DBs, and LBs playing in the NFL with cervical fusions.

His arm strength/nerve regeneration issue is no longer an issue.

Tell me who you would rather have...right now...over a healthy Peyton Manning.

It's a short list.

firerescuefin
03-07-2012, 10:25 AM

We'll have to figure out the parameters...but how about a pound of locally sourced/roasted espresso beans to the winner?

mistermo
03-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Besides a secretly sourced video, how do we conclusively KNOW this?

I was in a car accident more than a decade ago that damaged nerves in my shoulder. My nerves have regenerated, but now my left arm is only 80% as strong as my right. I did LOTS of therapy, but nerves don't regenerate perfectly, and nerve regeneration is a tricky thing. When I scratch my left wrist, I feel tingling in my left cheek.

firerescuefin
03-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Besides a secretly sourced video, how do we conclusively KNOW this?

I was in a car accident more than a decade ago that damaged nerves in my shoulder. My nerves have regenerated, but now my left arm is only 80% as strong as my right. I did LOTS of therapy, but nerves don't regenerate perfectly, and nerve regeneration is a tricky thing. When I scratch my left wrist, I feel tingling in my left cheek.

You're right...I wasn't there, but scouts and his former OC at Tennessee say he is throwing the ball as good as ever...velocity is where it needs to be. You can be sure that whoever sign him will have put that question to rest.

I too have had nerve issues (in my legs), but can develop a 1500 watt sprint and have no neuropathy. Nerves are funny things.

firerescuefin
03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Peyton's press conference on ESPN in 5 minutes (12 EST)

Fixed
03-07-2012, 11:00 AM
1500 watts how long ?
cheers :beer:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=444916

firerescuefin
03-07-2012, 11:10 AM
1500 watts how long ?
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=444916

Not very long Fixed...that's next season :cool:

But considering I had 2 numb feet and couldn't wash my wife's car, take a bike ride, or hold my kids...it's a miracle.

Fixed
03-07-2012, 11:35 AM
good work any day
best wishes

Dave B
03-07-2012, 11:41 AM
There are lineman, DBs, and LBs playing in the NFL with cervical fusions.

Tell me who you would rather have...right now...over a healthy Peyton Manning.
It's a short list.

Tom Brady! :beer:

jbrainin
03-07-2012, 11:55 AM

Dude's one hit from being the next Darryl Stingley. Why risk it?

firerescuefin
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM

Stingley was a freak deal...as have been numerous players paralyzed afterwards. Those levels are fused. Docs (multiple docs) have said he is no MORE at risk now than he was before he was injured. Like I said, much more physical positions have players playing with cervical fusions. I may not make the same decision, but don't think it's as cut and dry as many do.

Spin71
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM
What about baltimore? That would be an awesome twist of irony. Good defense, guys who can catch...Look at how far they have gone with their QB.

LOL. If they could catch the guy would have caught the ball that hit him in the chest an they would have been in the SB.

wc1934
03-07-2012, 05:41 PM

Second that Miami thought - Plus he brings along Reggie Wayne!

MarleyMon
03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Don't you ride your bike in the street with cars? Why risk it?

Peyton will sell several truckloads of jerseys for somebody. He will play and win somewhere, I think.

snah
03-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Tom Brady! :beer:

I can think of someone else, from 2 recent Super Bowls, that I'd take over Brady, Eli Manning. Colts and Manning fan here.

Someone asked earlier, not sure if I saw an answer, but yes, Peyton does have a house here in Indy.

jghall
03-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Yes Peyton has a house in Indy. Northside of Indianapolis.

Really, if Polian had a better strategic plan the past year+, or they didn't blow a 17 point second half lead to the Chiefs, we would not even be talking about this.

mistermo
03-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Really, if Polian had a better strategic plan the past year+,

Polian organized the team around a run at an Indy Super Bowl. ie, he put all his eggs in this season's basket. All the good players (Wayne, Mathis, Freeney, Manning) were under contract until the end of this season. They have salary cap issues and when Manning went down, the whole plan went with it. Most everyone knew the team couldn't stay together after 2012, but no one predicted it would end this way.

It's a sad day for Indy, but necessary for both Manning and the franchise. Polian got his due for creating a bust of a plan.

Louis
03-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Polian organized the team around a run at an Indy Super Bowl. ie, he put all his eggs in this season's basket. All the good players (Wayne, Mathis, Freeney, Manning) were under contract until the end of this season.

Without Manning this year they were 2-14, tying the Rams for the worst in the league. I have a really hard time believing that one guy would have been worth that many wins. I may be wrong, and he is (was) a great QB, but just the same, could one guy have turned it into a 12-4 season? Wow.

Dave B
03-08-2012, 07:36 AM
I can think of someone else, from 2 recent Super Bowls, that I'd take over Brady, Eli Manning. Colts and Manning fan here.

Someone asked earlier, not sure if I saw an answer, but yes, Peyton does have a house here in Indy.

Noted, but Brady still has as many SB rings as both Mannings. ;)

Manning might have a house there, but won't for long. Just like Reggie Miller, he is gone. The Conrad will make a fortune selling his parent's condo to some one and if Manning really wanted to stay he would have played for less money.

Now, let us be honest. This is the best thing for mannig, as he would have been on a team that still would have sucked. He would have won maybe 10 games next year. The D as well as most other positions are notvery good.

The colts sucked when they drafted Manning, why is this situation any different. Luck or RG3 will have an opportunity to build from ground up as Manning did.

Fixed
03-08-2012, 07:58 AM
fold the cards and count your blessings
payton enjoy life
cheers :beer: imho

Spin71
03-08-2012, 08:51 AM
fold the cards and count your blessings
payton enjoy life
cheers :beer: imho

Playing football is what he enjoys and and many of his blessing are due to football. I guess by your thinking, people should stop riding for good after a crash.

Earl Gray
03-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Tim Tebow has asked for Denver to make a play for Peyton!

He is willing to take a revised role and learn what he can.

Go Broncos!

Dave B
03-08-2012, 09:06 AM

Go Broncos!

Probably one of the smartest things he can do or say in public.

William
03-08-2012, 09:24 AM

Go Broncos!

Learn from the masters.

William

Fixed
03-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Playing football is what he enjoys and and many of his blessing are due to football. I guess by your thinking, people should stop riding for good after a crash.
depends on the crash
always ride for good
imho

mistermo
03-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Without Manning this year they were 2-14, tying the Rams for the worst in the league. I have a really hard time believing that one guy would have been worth that many wins. I may be wrong, and he is (was) a great QB, but just the same, could one guy have turned it into a 12-4 season? Wow.

Before their 2010 season, I would have agreed with you: that in the NFL, one player can't carry a team. However, two years ago, the entire receiving corps went down to injuries. Manning was passing to undrafted rookies and making them look Pro Bowl caliber. Guys we'd never heard of were appearing in SportsCenter highlights each week. Manning single handedly carried the Colts to the playoffs. I was awestruck at how he could make any receiver look so good.

We'll never know what they would have done with him in the lineup this year, but after Manning's display in 2010, I have no problem believing that with him this year, they'd have a winning record rather than the worst record. One can successfully argue that the "team" was better this year than the year before. But it lacked Manning.

Dekonick
03-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I can't imagine being in a spot to shell out 28mil out of loyalty but man do I feel for Peyton. No winners here.

Remember the Colts are not exactly known for loyalty... Just ask anyone who lives in Baltimore...