PDA

View Full Version : WTB tires vs Schwalbe

sevencyclist
03-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Looking to get some MTB tires for mostly dry singletrack trails with occasional moisture. Size 2.1-2.3.

MTBR seems to have great reviews for WTB Wolverines and Bronsons, but they are a little heavier than the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, Rocket Rons, or Nobby Nics.

Anyone with experience with these tires? Thanks in advance.

ultraman6970
03-06-2012, 08:21 PM
No experience with the tires you mention but the road schwalbes i have used rock big time.

vqdriver
03-06-2012, 08:38 PM
i'm on rocket rons now f/r and really like em. i don't know the surface you're on, but they do well in hardpack, shallow powder, loose over hardpack, and shed well as long as the mud isn't too snotty. does ok on slick roots but not great. deep silt and sandy creekbeds are their kryptonite. i haven't tried the nobby nics, but they're on my list. i didn't care for the racing ralphs, i just had bad karma with those.

schwalbe run a bit small so feel free to size up in front.

Jack Brunk
03-06-2012, 09:03 PM
i'm on rocket rons now f/r and really like em. i don't know the surface you're on, but they do well in hardpack, shallow powder, loose over hardpack, and shed well as long as the mud isn't too snotty. does ok on slick roots but not great. deep silt and sandy creekbeds are their kryptonite. i haven't tried the nobby nics, but they're on my list. i didn't care for the racing ralphs, i just had bad karma with those.

schwalbe run a bit small so feel free to size up in front.
Agree with VQ. I only use either ralphs or rons and my one fav is rons. Great tires.

jonnyBgood
03-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Well...everything here in Colorado is pretty much hard pack with loose gravel over top.

I have been using the Racing Ralph 29x2.4 up front and the Specialized Fast Track Control 29x2.1 on the rear all season and LOVE them both. Running tubeless as well.

If you haven't tried Specialized tires give them a shot as they have a 90 day guarantee that if you don't like the tire for whatever reason bring it back and trade for another Specialized tire...can't go wrong with that as no one else in the industry does this.

Wilkinson4
03-06-2012, 11:48 PM
In Colorado, I find the Kenda small block in the back and Kenda nev up front work great. Don't know about these other tires.

mIKE

sevencyclist
03-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Sounds like the Rocket Rons might be worth a try for trails here in Northern California.

I have used the older WTB Weirwolf up front and it is grabby, but I do feels a lot of rolling resistance and heavy. The new ones are even more heavy, so that got me to look at their lighter Wolverines and Bronsons. My favorite rear so far had been Panaracer Fire, but they are getting a little dated. Schwalbe has great commuting and touring reputation, but I was not sure of their off road stuff. Good to hear the Rons are good; especially they are superlight.

The Specialized tires are slightly heavier. Good for Stan's application, but I run tubes anyways, so for me they are heavier without benefit for me with their 2Bliss technology.

Would love to hear more stories and recommendations.

beungood
03-08-2012, 06:54 AM
+1 on the Rocket Ron's. I'm running them on my 29er and they seem to do quite well on everything I have ridden through,on top of and in. I have done some hardpack where they excel,did some rocky hillclimbs and had a few long wet muddy stretches I thought id be swimming through and they powered right on through. I have had the rear flatted out but it might be from me..