PDA

View Full Version : Shoe fit?

FastforaSlowGuy
03-06-2012, 06:02 PM
For the last many years I've been wearing Sidi Genius Mega in size 44, which work well for my wide toed/narrow heeled foot. I'm ready for new shoes and would like to try some with a SP specific sole if possible. My choices here aren't great. I picked up a pair of DMT Prisma, which are supposed to be wider than Sidi, but the right is too snug through the toe box. (They will be making an appearance in the Classifieds section soon.). Any suggestions on other brands to try? It looks like the SP specific Sidis - in addition to being crazy expensive - are not available in a wide version.

dave thompson
03-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Both Shimano and Specialized make shoes in wide widths that have relatively narrow heels.

ultraman6970
03-06-2012, 10:43 PM
yes, shimano and specialized are super nice and wide. Northwave from what I have read runs wide as specialized.

giverdada
03-07-2012, 04:33 AM
i have a super wide foot, and relatively narrow heel. sold my sidis 'cause i wasn't even standing the the whole footboard - my last toe and a half would slip off under effort. i picked up a pair of dmt carbon soled things used for $30 at a local swap, and used them for a season. nowhere near the sidi upper's quality, but wide enough on the bottom so whatever.

here on the forum, i picked up a pair of pretty much brand new bont A-3's, and they're unbelievable. wide enough. heat mouldable so i can cinch the heel down where i like it. accept a comfy super feet footbed. and the whole sole wraps up around the side of the shoe and foot, so there's no falling off of the footbed. i plan to get another pair some day, and i've recommended them to everyone i know with wide feet. the things are awesome. i'd recommend trying them on though, with your preferred insole, as the foot volume of the upper may not be for everyone.

all that to say: bont. great way to go for the wide footed. good luck!

jr59
03-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Well D2 does advertise with the forum.

Ti Designs
03-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Shoe advice over the internet isn't worth what you pay for it...

That said, the licensing hold up on making SpeedPlay specific shoes is mostly on the SpeedPlay end of things. I've seen the Sidi version, I'm honestly not sold on the idea of that being any better than using their adaptor. 4 M4x.75 screws with 2.2mm of threading depth isn't what I want holding my feet to the bike.

jmoore
03-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Northwaves are wide and have a solid heel. They may have narrowed down the toe box a bit in their last round of updates. I have Aerators from about 4 years ago and they are fantastic.

I have some Diadoras that have a roomy toe box as well.