PDA

View Full Version : Diva skirt geometry

tsarpepe
03-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Can someone explain to me this:

http://www.passione-bici.de/fileadmin/media/kollektionen2008/diva_small_08.jpg

I mean, it's a race bike. It's clear that women won't be riding it with skirts. So why the curved TT? Nothing makes sense:
1. If 99.9% of road bikes for women are made with straight TT, why not this?
2. It's not a structural innovation, or else other bikes will have it as well.
3. It doesn't make sense as a marketing trick either, as it suggests a beach cruiser, not a road bike.

echelon_john
03-06-2012, 05:51 PM
they should put a bird on it

Louis
03-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Lots of standover is the only thing I can think of. Whether wearing a skirt, kilt, or regular shorts.

Fishbike
03-06-2012, 05:54 PM
A lot of riders -- including a lot of women -- like a comfortable standover, even though fit is mostly dependent on TT length. On smallish frames, like the ones I ride, standover is often cozy. I don't really care as long as I can straddle the frame. But a lot of women do. I suppose the curved tube provides that measure of comfort for short-legged riders. That may be a road bike, but I don't see it as a race bike.

54ny77
03-06-2012, 06:31 PM
http://www.uvm.edu/landscape/dating/clothing_and_hair/1900s_clothing_women_files/image014.jpg

mvrider
03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
No one is going to complain about the adjustable stem?

I couldn't find that model on the DeRosa site, but did find plenty of pics on Google. I think the design is from 2006-8.

tsarpepe
03-07-2012, 03:29 AM
Lots of standover is the only thing I can think of. Whether wearing a skirt, kilt, or regular shorts.

Yeah, but you can get standover with a sloping straight tube, no?

d_douglas
03-07-2012, 05:04 AM
No one is going to complain about the adjustable stem?

I couldn't find that model on the DeRosa site, but did find plenty of pics on Google. I think the design is from 2006-8.

Adjustable stems scare me. I fear they would slip under force. I am surprised that even quality manufacturers like Ritchey make them stems.

PS that Derosa is one ugly bike.

Ti Designs
03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
So what you're saying is that Specialized is right in making a few sweeping generalizations about women's bikes, and building them all around those generalizations? That leaves a lot of riders with ill-fitting bikes - thanks! For the right customer that bike solves a few problems that others don't.

There have been lots of threads and arguments about which designs are silly or stupid (mostly people not being able to see past what fits them). I invite anyone here to spend a few days in the fitting department with me. What you probably think never happens, it damn common.

Fixed
03-07-2012, 10:22 AM
the t.t. straightens out once the lady is on it ?
imho
cheers :beer:

tsarpepe
03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
the t.t. straightens out once the lady is on it ?
imho

Made me laugh! :) :) :)

pavel
03-07-2012, 11:46 AM
looks cheap.

Louis
03-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah, but you can get standover with a sloping straight tube, no?

Women have more curves than men. Aesthetics.

Ken Robb
03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Adjustable stems scare me. I fear they would slip under force. I am surprised that even quality manufacturers like Ritchey make them stems.

PS that Derosa is one ugly bike.

I have one Ritchey adjustable stem. There is no more chance of it slipping than an Octalink crank slipping on the bottom bracket because they both have plenty of interlocking teeth. I have to the two pieces to disengage the interlocked teeth to change the angle of the stem.