PDA

View Full Version : Are CrN/Ti rails titanium...?

DRZRM
03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
or is this some marketing BS. Looking for a newer version of a seat I like (WTB Silverado for my MTB) and I found it with what is described as a CrN/Ti railed seat at a good price for the ti rails, not such a good deal for the chromo, and the guy does not have the weight posted. Is this ti or cromoly or neither. Alternately, if anyone has a WTB Silverado Team laying around, PM me.

Thanks

Chance
03-06-2012, 02:25 PM
To me the designation suggests chromium nitride coating on titanium alloy. The coating is typically very thin but alters surface characteristics. Read more below.

http://brycoat.com/pvd-crn.html

As to potential BS anything is possible. Pure guess on my part that the hard coating is added to prevent scratching the rails which could cause stress concentration and future failure. Just a guess on my part though.

dan682
03-06-2012, 02:36 PM
PM sent.

Kontact
03-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Those rails are used in a variety saddles made by Velo, and I believe it is a Velo proprietary alloy. We use them on our saddles.

Maybe it's the language barrier, but I was never able to get a perfect answer, but I think it is safe to say that it is some sort of steel alloy that contains Ti. It is clearly either stronger or less dense than steel because they are tubular and lighter than cromoly. We have never had the rails break, and I haven't heard of the problems with any other CrN/Ti rail problems. I don't know if CP Ti rails would actually be as light or strong.

Honestly, I don't think it is important what it is exactly, but the alloy really works well for building light, strong saddles.

DRZRM
03-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Thanks everyone. I picked up the saddle and thanks for the offer Dan, wish I'd seen it earlier.