PDA

View Full Version : builders NOT attending NAHBS

mvrider
03-05-2012, 04:58 PM
I couldn't help noticing that a few prominent builders often mentioned on Paceline did not have booths in Sacramento. Who else am I missing:

Bedford
Bilenky
Firefly
Hampsten
Kish
Llewellyn
Parlee
Pegoretti (no Gita, either)
Serotta
Seven
Spectrum
Strong (announced his cancellation previously)
Vanilla
Waterford
Weigle

Not that I really had any more time on my one day, anyway!

oldpotatoe
03-05-2012, 05:00 PM
I couldn't help noticing that a few prominent builders often mentioned on Paceline did not have booths in Sacramento. Who else am I missing:

Bedford (though a member mentioned talking to him)
Firefly
Parlee
Pegoretti (no Gita, either)
Serotta
Seven
Spectrum (same member mentioned talking to Tom Kellogg)
Strong (announced his cancellation previously)
Vanilla
Weigle

Not that I really had any more time on my one day, anyway!

Waterford.
Really means little. Waterford has a good presence at Interbike and is consumer oriented only really thru dealers.

Pete Mckeon
03-05-2012, 05:19 PM
I will bet = = Time, cost, and travel cross country were major decision points for many, (Just as it was for west coasters going to RICHMOND. :bike:

It was even too much for me for I am going to Santa Rosa area in APRIL for riding and the extra time and expense were not in ability.

just my opinion. :o Pete

phcollard
03-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Hampsten?

saab2000
03-05-2012, 05:26 PM
A lot of them are very small operations and while well known, going to the show takes a lot of time from the business. And money. I wouldn't read too much into it. Not all of them can make it every year even if they wanted to. Too much time and $$$ to do it for all of them.

No conspiracy.

guyintense
03-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Bilenky Cycle Works was a no show as well.

slowgoing
03-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I remember a few years ago at the show in San Jose that Pegoretti, Vanilla and Strong had great set ups. Spectrum was not there though.

yakstone
03-05-2012, 05:49 PM
One of the things that really makes sense about holding this in Denver is the fact that it is pretty much in the middle of the country with easy access from most anywhere.
Can't wait unitl 2013.

ergott
03-05-2012, 05:52 PM
One of the things that really makes sense about holding this in Denver is the fact that it is pretty much in the middle of the country with easy access from most anywhere.
Can't wait unitl 2013.

No, now it's a plane-ride away from both coasts :D

MattTuck
03-05-2012, 05:55 PM
It would be a tough sell, as a sole proprietor with a waitlist, to attend the show.

It takes a tremendous amount of time, energy and cost to prepare and attend the show. If you have a waitlist (especially a long one), that time and energy could go into revenue generating activities for their families and livelihood.

On top of that, the actual number of people you reach is probably not worth it, and unless you're bishop, you're not winning very many awards. I'm not sure how many people make the buying decision at the show, but I bet you'd have to get 5 or 6 orders at the show in order to break even.

I personally think (based on the website thread) that your money would be better spent on some high production value web development, with videos and multimedia, etc.

That's my story and a I'm sticking to it.

saab2000
03-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Yeah, but only one leg for most folks. DEN is a huge airport and there are lots of flights from pretty much everywhere. The joy will be that this is also about the time of year that they can get some crushing blizzards, with about a yard of snow one day and 65º two days later.

Still, DEN is close to COS (Colorado Springs) and BDU (Boulder, which of course enjoys no actual schedule air service) and is therefore close to cycling heaven.

Not a bad choice all things considered.

I am planning on it as I missed this year.

tiretrax
03-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Yeah, but only one leg for most folks. DEN is a huge airport and there are lots of flights from pretty much everywhere. The joy will be that this is also about the time of year that they can get some crushing blizzards, with about a yard of snow one day and 65º two days later.

Still, DEN is close to COS (Colorado Springs) and BDU (Boulder, which of course enjoys no actual schedule air service) and is therefore close to cycling heaven.

Not a bad choice all things considered.

I am planning on it as I missed this year.
It's not a bad drive for a lot of folks, too, and I can possibly fit in a day or two of skiing.

Smiley
03-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Was not at the show but VERY busy building bikes back home, We had an event here called Bike Wrap where I added to Kelly's back log with 2 more orders for bikes, I also just placed an order for a frame for myself so Yeah dude is busy and NHABS out west is NOT where his targeted client base is located.

Louis
03-05-2012, 06:08 PM
It's not a bad drive for a lot of folks, too

13 hours according to Google Maps for me, and I'm probably closer than most.

One issue with driving, as S2K pointed out, is weather. You could get hammered by snow.

If I go I'll probably fly.

Bruce K
03-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I might just make that one.

I would have to include a quick jaunt to Boulder to vist the Davis Phinney Foundation and also stop by Vecchio's (but they might all be at the show :rolleyes: )

BK

BumbleBeeDave
03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
. . . almost all those builders listed by the OP are on the east coast. Long plane ride, long shipping for bikes, more time taken out of actually building bikes. Lots of money--Dave Kirk made a comment in one of these threads that because of union labor at the convention center it cost him $400 to have his shipping container moved from the loading dock to the show floor. Just doesn't seem worth it for small builders on the far coast.

Especially Kelly . . . I hear he's only 4-foot-10-inches. :D

BBD

Was not at the show but VERY busy building bikes back home, We had an event here called Bike Wrap where I added to Kelly's back log with 2 more orders for bikes, I also just placed an order for a frame for myself so Yeah dude is busy and NHABS out west is NOT where his targeted client base is located.

David Kirk
03-05-2012, 06:59 PM
I battle with this every year and only recently have come to the conclusion that there is no one right answer and that I'll need to just do what feels right after considering all the factors..

I have a queue (a bit over a year) and spending money in an effort to make that queue longer makes little sense. In fact I don't even want it this long and bust my ass trying to keep is reasonably short. So there is that.

The flip side is that it's impossible to tell if some portion (either large or small) of my current queue is due to my continued support of NAHBS and would would happen in the long run if I were to skip the show. Maybe things would slow down, maybe they wouldn't - the only way to tell is to skip it for a year or two and see what happens.

But then, OTOH, if you skip it and aren't on the short list of potential buyers and the public awareness of the brand suffers it could take a lot of time and money to bring it back to where is used to be - maybe even more time and money that it costs to do the show each year. Hard to tell.

And then there is the X factor............it can be really fun at times. I see old friends (ran into Chris Chance of all people this year!), make new friends, see everyones bikes and note the trends, visit with suppliers, eat good food, see another part of the country that I've never seen in most cases, and meet many customers who bought bikes years ago and have never met. What is the value of that? I have no clue. It's worth something that's for sure and but I doubt anyone could put a solid actual number on it.

I'm not shy about sharing the numbers in this and it makes a few folks less comfortable but it's my money and I can tell you how I spent it if I like - so - the show costs me about $10,000 to do each year. This is a combined cost of out of pocket stuff (hotel, booth cost, airfare, shipping...etc) as well as lost income (from spending WAY more time getting ready for the show that most non-attendees would ever imagine and keeping me away from the bench). Certainly the show can be done for less and part of this cost is due to my not wanting to show my bikes on a folding table - that's just me and I know that I pay more because I want a certain look. More money could be saved if the show was ever really within driving distance of my home. I choose to live in the middle of nowhere and it adds to the cost. One side thing to note - the booth cost me only $1000 - or 10% of the total cost to play. The show isn't expensive because DW charges too much for the booth. I'd be willing to pay much more for that part of it. It's all the little (and not so little $400 to move my crate from the loading dock to my booth and another $400 to move it back to the loading dock........or about $800 for a 400 foot round trip............or about $2/foot - NICE!!!) all this stuff really adds up and pretty soon you are talking real money.

But at its core one can make the argument that as long as you have at least one bike in the queue at all times then spending any money to make it longer makes little financial sense. And if you have lots of bikes in the queue it makes less and less financial sense. That said Denver is about an 11 hour drive so I could save a good bit of money by not shipping my stuff and flying to meet it there. So we'll see how it feels in a few weeks or months. Right now I just want to get back to the bench and make stuff.

dave

harryblack
03-05-2012, 07:06 PM
As a consumer, I'm tired of NAHBS hype and chest-puffing and, pace David and others, am MUCH more likely to buy a bike from someone who doesn't attend. That might put me in minority of a niche product area but so be it. The "ideal," I feel, is for builders to not need to waste $$$ on the dog and pony show.

bironi
03-05-2012, 07:25 PM
David,
I'd stay at home at the bench next year. I think your presence on the forums, your nice pics, and your reputation would make up for the risk. It sounds like Mr. Sachs is contemplating whether or not the show is doing what it was originally intended to do.
Byron

Ahneida Ride
03-05-2012, 07:32 PM

Bingo !

I'd love to attend. It's a great show.

but just too many frns for a small fry like myself.
and piggy backing with a prominent builder to defray mutual costs is not allowed. :crap:

Louis
03-05-2012, 07:44 PM
If I were a customer thinking about a purchase and I decided to go to the show to check things out, I might be somewhat disappointed if one of the guys I was considering didn't show up. It might not rule him out, but I think it would help the guys who did show.

MattTuck
03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
As a consumer, I'm tired of NAHBS hype and chest-puffing and, pace David and others, am MUCH more likely to buy a bike from someone who doesn't attend. That might put me in minority of a niche product area but so be it. The "ideal," I feel, is for builders to not need to waste $$$ on the dog and pony show.

I hear what you're saying, I just find it funny how it comes across.... now the guys at the show have sold out, and are like the Treks and Specializeds of the world.

I have this image that pretty soon, the ideal builder will be a hermit living in a cave with no electricity or internet access forging bikes out of iron he mines himself. You have to hike through the wilderness and hopefully stumble upon his cave/workshop.

BumbleBeeDave
. . . who is going to this show to actually buy a bike--and is only considering builders who did attend--is incredibly naive.

It's a spectacle. Or it has become a spectacle. That gets attention for custom builders but the "arms race" type mentality that seems to have taken hold doesn't impress.

Dave K, I think you get more out of being a good communicator in general online than you would going to this show. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that most of your buyers are people who already now a lot about cycling. Is that correct? They will do their research, come to a place like this, and get dozens of positive recommendations for your work. That's something you are never going to get from exhibiting at a show.

BBD

Viper
We are all, each of us, builders, makers and do'ers. We are verbs.

harryblack, I am sure you aren't alone in your thoughts. Trade Shows aren't for everyone. Neither is liverwurst on pumpernickel bread. I'd enjoy going once, some cool sights and crowd. I will set-up a kissing booth, maybe.

saab2000
03-05-2012, 07:58 PM
And then there is the X factor............it can be really fun at times. I see old friends (ran into Chris Chance of all people this year!), make new friends, see everyones bikes and note the trends, visit with suppliers, eat good food, see another part of the country that I've never seen in most cases, and meet many customers who bought bikes years ago and have never met. What is the value of that? I have no clue. It's worth something that's for sure and but I doubt anyone could put a solid actual number on it.

This. I'm not a bike builder. But I've worked in shops and keep the end of my big toe attached to the business vicariously through others. I have wrenched a lot and my thing is wheels, which I'm not bad at. And I love bikes.

Sometimes life is worth living and this show and the collection of eclectic bike freaks makes this 1% of life as much fun as the mundane other 99% combined.

So there.

I understand why some folks can't go every year but those who can make the trip worthwhile. I'm going to Denver if at all possible and I'm bringing either a bike or skies. Or both.

pitcrew
03-05-2012, 08:15 PM
It's all the little (and not so little $400 to move my crate from the loading dock to my booth and another $400 to move it back to the loading dock........or about $800 for a 400 foot round trip............or about $2/foot - NICE!!!) all this stuff really adds up and pretty soon you are talking real money.

I went to the CABDA (Chicago Area Bicycle Dealers Association) show a number of years back with a frame builder and you had to hire union labor all the way around.....You were supposed to even hire union labor for your booth electrical (i.e. plug in) your electric/neon booth signage. The guy I ws with was a licensed electrician by trade but you still had to hire it out. Not the show's fault/doing but still........

Steve in SLO
03-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Having been a first time attendee this year, but with long years in the saddle, I thought the show was a kick. Sure, there were some over-the-top creations and a plethora of track and snow bikes, but the chance to see what the builders are capable of and to meet them was amazing. I came away feeling that the spirit of craftsmanship is alive and well in guys half my age, and has me inspired to pull out my old 70s racing frame, respray it and build it up with customized parts just to see what I can do with it.
Meeting Dave and Karin, along with Dave Wages and legends like Dave Moulton (see a Dave pattern here?) eRitchie, Roland Della Santa, Joe Breeze and Tom Ritchey isn't something I will forget. I appreciate all that every builder did to get there, and I think the chance to personally connect with them sells bikes.
It was just very, very cool.

dekindy
03-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I went to the CABDA (Chicago Area Bicycle Dealers Association) show a number of years back with a frame builder and you had to hire union labor all the way around.....You were supposed to even hire union labor for your booth electrical (i.e. plug in) your electric/neon booth signage. The guy I ws with was a licensed electrician by trade but you still had to hire it out. Not the show's fault/doing but still........

I did not realize how much money I saved NAHBS in Indianapolis when the electrical "went out" at the ticket booth. Volunteers had gone behind the booth to get their stuff when their shift ended and I correctly guessed that someone had stepped on the electrical cord. The were going to call the electrical guys " to fix the electrical". I told them to give me a second and walked behind the booth and although it still appeared to be plugged in, it was loose; problem fixed.

Doug Fattic
03-05-2012, 08:40 PM
I don't think attending NAHBS makes economic sense for the majority of one man framebuilding shops. My inside information suggests many of them make at most about 1 frame a month and probably less. This is supplemented by doing repairs and perhaps other bicycle or non-bicycle related jobs. Most of their market is going to be local or at the most within driving distance. It is extremely unlikely they are going to recoup those costs by getting enough orders from the show some distance away. Now it can be argued that somehow they have to get their name out there but look what it takes to do this at NAHBs.

For starters many of the other exhibitors are going to put up quite a display with specially made frames with professionally made stands, etc. Just putting some standard frame (however nice) on a table isn't going to make you seem nearly as professional or good as someone who realizes how their image is portrayed by their presentation.

gomango
03-05-2012, 08:47 PM
David,
I'd stay at home at the bench next year. I think your presence on the forums, your nice pics, and your reputation would make up for the risk. It sounds like Mr. Sachs is contemplating whether or not the show is doing what it was originally intended to do.
Byron

This would be good timing for me, as it will coincide with saving my "allowance" for a Terraplane. :)

Cinci Jim
03-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Bilenky Cycle Works was a no show as well.

I spoke with them last week - said they were crazy busy and could not get away to go to the west coast. I think they are busy as they have had my wifes frame to put in couplers for 2 months now and have not even started work on it.

I'm wondering if we are seeing some pent up demand in the industry working itself out. A nice custom bike might be a very safe & reasonable way to treat oneself after the past 3 years.

:banana:

Earl Gray
03-05-2012, 09:22 PM
....- the show costs me about $10,000 to do each year. ......

That is Fn Crazy! You could use that time and money to go on one hell of a vacation instead.

I suspect NAHBS does not really generate many new customers at all. I suspect it just shifts them around.

I enjoyed the one I went too and now that I know you guys are doing it as a public service, I appreciate it even more.

However, I'm still not very likely to pay the premium for a custom frame.

Earl Gray
03-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Does anyone know if John Slawta (LandShark) was there? I have not seen a single picture of his stuff.

e-RICHIE
03-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know if John Slawta (LandShark) was there? I have not seen a single picture of his stuff.
Yes, he exhibited and gave a seminar.

Earl Gray
03-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes, he exhibited and gave a seminar.

He is getting the short end of the media stick. Any idea where I can find some pics?

e-RICHIE
03-05-2012, 09:45 PM
He is getting the short end of the media stick. Any idea where I can find some pics?
www.folkswhoknowthedifference.com

weaponsgrade
03-05-2012, 09:56 PM

Here was displaying his personal bike (http://alleycat.hk/) which was setup w/ Di2, a carbon tandem, another carbon bike painted with a dark cherry tinted clear w/ asian inspired doodles, and I think another bike as well.

Earl Gray
03-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Here was displaying his personal bike (http://alleycat.hk/) which was setup w/ Di2, a carbon tandem, another carbon bike painted with a dark cherry tinted clear w/ asian inspired doodles, and I think another bike as well.

Thanks. I love that he had the balls to transition from steel to Carbon!

http://alleycatfixedgear.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/ep042537.jpg

AgilisMerlin
03-05-2012, 10:10 PM
YOUR GOLD TEETH II

Who are these children
Who scheme and run wild
Who speak with their wings
And the way that they smile
What are the secrets
They trace in the sky
And why do you tremble
Each time they ride by
CHORUS:
Throw out your gold teeth
And see how they roll
The answer they reveal
Life is unreal

Who are these strangers
Who pass through the door
Who cover your action
And go you one more
If you're feeling lucky
You best not refuse
It's your game the rules
Are your own win or lose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOtXrrDCnN4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

AgilisMerlin
03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
And the original

YOUR GOLD TEETH

Got a feeling I've been here before
Watching as you cross the killing floor
You know you'll have to pay it all
You'll pay today or pay tomorrow
You fasten up your beaded gown
Then you try to tie me down
Do you work it out one by one
Or played in combination
You throw out your gold teeth
Do you see how they roll
I have seen your iron and your brass
Can't you see it shine behind the glass
Your fortune is your roving eye
Your mouth and legs
Your gift for the runaround
Torture is the main attraction
I don't need that kind of action
You don't have to dance for me
I've seen your dance before
Do you throw out your gold teeth
Do you see how they roll

Got a feeling I've been here before
Won't you let me help you find the door
All you got to do is use
Your silver shoes
A gift for the runaround
Use your knack darlin'
Take one step back darlin'
There ain't nothing in Chicago
For a monkey woman to do
Do you throw out your gold teeth
Do you see how they roll

Peter B
03-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Snapped these Sunday afternoon.

Bradford
03-05-2012, 10:53 PM
It's not a bad drive for a lot of folks, too, and I can possibly fit in a day or two of skiing.
The gang is coming to Denver in the winter? Sounds like a ski trip to me!

We are renting a place in Frisco this winter and will likely do it again next winter. I'll put a Paceline weekend on the calendar when I find out the dates. I have Doug and Bruce signed up. Now we just need to fill the rest of the beds...and some spots on the floor if we have to.

:banana:

fogrider
03-06-2012, 03:01 AM
say what you will, it was a lot of fun chatting with some builders. its interesting getting their take on things. even on the west coast there were others that i hoped would display but I certainly understand the cost and time issues. the thing with custom builders is that often you can't find one of these in your lbs so there is no chance to "kick the tires" before buying. and clearly if you can test ride one, you are much more likely to buy.

the internet is great to see pictures, but you really can't appreciate many of the bikes at the show.

I sure hope Dave and all the builders going to NAHBS is at least deducting your expenses for the show. I'm sure sac town appreciates everyone spending a few bucks there and helping the economy there.

nighthawk
03-06-2012, 05:52 AM
I'm sure sac town appreciates everyone spending a few bucks there and helping the economy there.

I think the Chamber of Commerce voted against that as city nick-name.

roguedog
03-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Having been a first time attendee this year, but with long years in the saddle, I thought the show was a kick. Sure, there were some over-the-top creations and a plethora of track and snow bikes, but the chance to see what the builders are capable of and to meet them was amazing. I came away feeling that the spirit of craftsmanship is alive and well in guys half my age, and has me inspired to pull out my old 70s racing frame, respray it and build it up with customized parts just to see what I can do with it.
Meeting Dave and Karin, along with Dave Wages and legends like Dave Moulton (see a Dave pattern here?) eRitchie, Roland Della Santa, Joe Breeze and Tom Ritchey isn't something I will forget. I appreciate all that every builder did to get there, and I think the chance to personally connect with them sells bikes.
It was just very, very cool.

+1 steve

I think the show accomplishes many goals for both consumer and framebuilders.

Personal face time
FrameBuilder
Many of you say that building that relationship is one of the key factors of going custom. I have to say it was awesome (and intimidating) to meet some of the most well respected craftsman of our time. There is nothing like talking to and getting that feel for a person and who they are. Yes, you can get this by making bunches of phone calls but it's not quite the same.

Bikes
I got to see these folks' craftsmanship upfront. Man pix don't do the frames justice.

Overall it's a chance to get a glimmer of who these folks are, upfront and personal. It's a chance to begin a relationship.

Awareness of the Handbuilt Bike
The show hopefully brings awareness of the handbuilt, custom bike to a larger audience. Most the population isn't even aware that they can get a custom bike; that they don't need to be "fit" with spacers, risers, short stems and all other doodads to make a bike work *and* pay hella $ for that pleasure.

Education Amongst Framebuilding Community
I think the seminars are a great idea to help share the knowledge and experience of the f/f who have been around the block. If I were a relatively new framebuilder or perhaps even a seasoned framebuilder, I think the guidance and perspective of folks who have been in the industry and survived would be invaluable. Or it's even a chance to explore new developments in tooling that might be more cost effective or heck, even book keeping, etc

Framebuilder Community Beers
And lastly, maybe this is the most important reason, this is probably the one time a year, all these craftspeople can get together to pick each other's brains, have a beer and shoot the ****.

I think Dave is right. It's hard to know and measure the true output of this show. It's the same problem businesses have with measuring attribution of lead generation from these or other marketing activities. Really, in the end its likely that leads result from the overall campaign (shows, interviews, forum presence, press, reputation (trust), etc) and can't be attributed to any single activity. It's why we see the same commercial for days on end. You gotta build awareness, build your message and then build trust.

I dunno.. I agree it is a shame it's not cost effective for smaller builders to get out there but I think there is much value of this show of getting the word out about handbuilt, bespoke bikes in general. I think it's great it moves around so perhaps the show can catch some of the smaller builder local to wherever the show happens to occur.

My 2 cents.. sorry for the long post..

EnginCycle
03-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Finally feel a need to chime in. I have attended NAHBS every year since '07 San Jose. This year my wife and I bought a new house that is a complete renovation and it has consumed me both for time and money. I struggled with the idea of walking away from such a long standing effort. Going to these shows really only pays dividends when you are consistent and keep going. It is like advertising. One ad is useless but always being in the minds eye will pay off. Ask Anheuser-Busch if they felt going cold turkey off advertising would work out??

From a business standpoint I have spent the last year developing my titanium bikes and was fully invested in spending whatever it took on materials and testing to get the bikes where I wanted them. This probably had the biggest effect on the money I would spend on NAHBS. Was this money well spent? Impossible to say. I now have a new product but if it is not selling what was the point? The traffic flow to my website is slower than normal since I was not on the links page of NAHBS. I have also been working like a dog and have lacked the updates that keep the blog fresh and flickr page new. I am working but just have zero extra time.

NAHBS has a purpose. One can think what they want but I regret not going but also could not have done it. I would rather have the house that I own and will enjoy for the next 30 years and go to Denver next year. Seems like a good compromise.

If I skip next year I think it would become impossible to get up the energy to attend ever again. It is hard work but my $.02 is it is worth it.

Thanks for reading.

-Drew

Charles M
03-06-2012, 11:43 AM
I was a no show...

Not for any other reason than I didnt have the time this year.

For a lot of builders the reasons to both attend and skip are a lot like the list of the deadly sins ? capitol vices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins

jr59
03-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Finally feel a need to chime in. I have attended NAHBS every year since '07 San Jose. This year my wife and I bought a new house that is a complete renovation and it has consumed me both for time and money. I struggled with the idea of walking away from such a long standing effort. Going to these shows really only pays dividends when you are consistent and keep going. It is like advertising. One ad is useless but always being in the minds eye will pay off. Ask Anheuser-Busch if they felt going cold turkey off advertising would work out??

From a business standpoint I have spent the last year developing my titanium bikes and was fully invested in spending whatever it took on materials and testing to get the bikes where I wanted them. This probably had the biggest effect on the money I would spend on NAHBS. Was this money well spent? Impossible to say. I now have a new product but if it is not selling what was the point? The traffic flow to my website is slower than normal since I was not on the links page of NAHBS. I have also been working like a dog and have lacked the updates that keep the blog fresh and flickr page new. I am working but just have zero extra time.

NAHBS has a purpose. One can think what they want but I regret not going but also could not have done it. I would rather have the house that I own and will enjoy for the next 30 years and go to Denver next year. Seems like a good compromise.

If I skip next year I think it would become impossible to get up the energy to attend ever again. It is hard work but my $.02 is it is worth it.

Thanks for reading.

-Drew

Thank you for posting here.

PLEASE post more. We aren't bad guys!

Good luck with the new home. lol...It's a labor of love!

MattTuck
03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Thank you for posting here.

PLEASE post more. We aren't bad guys!

Good luck with the new home. lol...It's a labor of love!

yeah, before and after pictures of the house! After Bikes, medical advice and cars, house repair/problems are probably the next most popular subject here ;)

bambam
03-06-2012, 01:13 PM
I went to the show in 09 because it was driving distance.
I went with the intention of ordering an bike that I needed for 2011.
I did not know how many builders there were and this event let me expand that. I went through all the booths and had a list of 3 to go back to.
After going back and talking to the 3 that afternoon, I decided on my first custom, A "Kirk". Could not have been happier with my choice. I knew what I needed and got much more. I saw a lot of beautiful bikes and parts and the senses were overwelmed. But seing everthing first hand was invaluable. I learned a lot and learned the possibilites of many things bike related.

dekindy
03-06-2012, 01:21 PM
I was at the show working all three days in Indianapolis so I got to spend considerable time at the show. A lot of my time was spent at the more well known builders' booths. It was not until the end of the last day that I went to some of the lesser known/experienced builders. Wish it had been the other way around as I was very impressed. John Caletti in particular stood out and if I was considering ordering a custom frame he would have made the final list whereas he would not have been considered before.

krhea
03-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Here's an interesting blog post from our local "cycling voice" bikeportland.org about what he experienced at the show..

http://bikeportland.org/2012/03/05/builders-boost-business-at-nahbs-68403#more-68403

Johny
03-06-2012, 08:30 PM
ATMO,
life is all about showing up,
getting engaged,
and doing things you love with the people you are fond of.

Bikes are only cool if both builders and riders put their mind and heart into them.
And the show is only cool if both builders and riders are engaged.

I have the time of my life at the show.
Seeing old friends and making new friends are priceless.

Thank you Don Walker and all the people at the show for making this magic happen!

John

Uncle Jam's Army
03-06-2012, 10:39 PM

Thanks for reading.

-Drew

Thanks for posting this, Drew. I always enjoy visiting your website, though it has been a few months since I have done so. Your post is a nice reminder to do so again. I think it is important to keep your name out there by whatever means you choose, be it NAHBS and/or other media. You do great, beautiful work. Keep it up.

Congratulations on the purchase of your house. My wife and I just bought our own a few months ago. I wish you many happy years in your home.

Ginger
03-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Llewellyn Customs Bicycles wasn't at NAHBS. Few probably noticed (except for people who were expecting us to be there.) as Dazza doesn't show every year... but as other builders have said here, Life happens...We were both looking forward to seeing friends at the show! A nice two week vacation to somewhere somewhat cool (weather wise) in the middle of our Australian summer. However, Dazza had his appendix out in November (no harm no foul, he bounced right back), and I had some issues in December (not so lucky, but recovering well) so our down time was spent and we stayed home for the show.

That said, it sounds like there will be an inaugural Australian-made bicycle show in Melbourne in November (that's the spring here). It should be nice We'll have a glass of red and think of you all!

BumbleBeeDave
03-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Llewellyn Customs Bicycles wasn't at NAHBS. Few probably noticed (except for people who were expecting us to be there.) as Dazza doesn't show every year... but as other builders have said here, Life happens...We were both looking forward to seeing friends at the show! A nice two week vacation to somewhere somewhat cool (weather wise) in the middle of our Australian summer. However, Dazza had his appendix out in November (no harm no foul, he bounced right back), and I had some issues in December (not so lucky, but recovering well) so our down time was spent and we stayed home for the show.

That said, it sounds like there will be an inaugural Australian-made bicycle show in Melbourne in November (that's the spring here). It should be nice We'll have a glass of red and think of you all!

. . . $10k to attend, I shudder to think what it would cost you to get over here! :eek:

BBD

EnginCycle
03-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanks for posting this, Drew. I always enjoy visiting your website, though it has been a few months since I have done so. Your post is a nice reminder to do so again. I think it is important to keep your name out there by whatever means you choose, be it NAHBS and/or other media. You do great, beautiful work. Keep it up.

Congratulations on the purchase of your house. My wife and I just bought our own a few months ago. I wish you many happy years in your home.

Thanks all for the kind words. It is not the first house but it sure is the first time I have attempted to renovate from basement to 3rd floor and get it done in one winter! I am defining "Jack of all trades". Even with contractors it is an insane job. It does help however when the contractors like bicycles!

Not to get this off topic I can say that on average I spend $8,000 -$10,000 every year to attend NAHBS. This includes the following. Hotels for myself, my wife and my one employee Ed. Ed often shares his room with Jeff Buchholz or some other industry person to help cut some costs. I pay for all the food for upwards of 5-6 days for all three people. We have driven to 3 shows and flew to 2 shows. The freight costs are the same as the driving costs but the difference if you have a storage container at the event when you drive. This can save you thousands of dollars. I always bring customers bikes but the downside is I often sit on a complete bike that is assembled and paid for on my end but have only received a $300 deposit on it. I would have it no other way but this obviously can hurt in the winter. Next up is travel costs which are often done with mileage from the year but it does not always cover all the costs. The down time IMO is the hard one to swallow. You tend to have about 3 weeks of non productivity and I also close the bike shop for about 4 days. This is hard to add to the equation but it is a real thing. One of the other expenses is I can not do the non professional display. I always get the 20ft. booth and have a back drop that is fresh and hopefully appealing to the attendees. My main goal is to have a very simple black and white display that emphasizes the bicycles as the main thing. Rarely if ever any extra junk or random things that clutter the booth. These booths have cost me upwards of a few thousand and I have only used them once each time.

Either way I do not regret the money I have spent on the show over the years and if the stars align I will be in Denver for 2013.

Cheers,
Drew

Fixed
03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
i would go for the cool people and cool ideas
and art imho
cheers

BumbleBeeDave
03-07-2012, 12:05 PM
i would go for the cool people and cool ideas
and art imho
cheers

. . . and have a flat, this woman would change my tire? :D

BBD

MattTuck
03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
. . . and have a flat, this woman would change my tire? :D

BBD

She better hurry up, looks like storm clouds coming in... maybe she'll let you relax at her place until the storm passes. giggity.

Ginger
03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
. . . $10k to attend, I shudder to think what it would cost you to get over here! :eek:

BBD

Well yes, fares were down to about 1800 AUD round trip, which is really good because they were trending at 2400 AUD rt to Sacramento. So, two of us? Nevermind the bikes and stands! Excess luggage?

MarleyMon
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
... Italy ...
Looks like Hagia Sophia in Istanbul (not Constantinople), a masterpiece of Byzantine architecture. A tour of it is on my bucket list.

back on topic, I wanted to meet and talk to Carl Strong at Indy '09, but he was so busy giving seminars, meeting actual customers or catching up with his peers that I could barely get near him. I did see his wonderful bikes. I imagine his backlog will survive missing this show.

I think a lot of buyers really want to see the bikes in person (photos don't come close to conveying their qualities) and NAHBS is a place to do that.

cuda2k
03-08-2012, 08:20 AM
I went to Austin last year with more or less a short-list of builders in hand, at the show that list grew, then shrunk as I got to speak with builders face to face over the 3 days. Being that this was going to be my first custom, seeing the frames in person and getting to speak to the builders in person was a plus in my view. I wouldn't have excluded a builder for not being at NAHBS if I'd had them on the list to begin with, but there were certainly some names I hadn't heard of before Austin that I now regularly look up their latest work and keep them in mind if I ever were to order another bike.

I certainly understand where at lot of you, both builders and riders alike, are coming from saying that the outlay of cash to go to the show is difficult to justify, or even see how much of an effect going or not going has in orders afterwards. I'll just say that I hope to make the Denver show next year, and I don't plan to discontinue stashing cash in my bike fund after my Kirk gets delivered. ;)