PDA

View Full Version : AC Injury question

lemondsteel
03-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Hey everyone, been some time since I posted. I was out riding Thursday and turned around to see what was behind me (I wear a hearing aid) and the next thing I knew I was picking myself up out of a ditch with a screaming pain in my shoulder. First thought was a broken collar bone. I remember going over the bars and hearing a terrible sound in my shoulder and neck and then all went black. Got up moved the arm and felt the collarbone. No breaks. The ride home was he*# to say the least. Immediate ice to the shoulder and Ibuprofen. Friday I had to install two 32' drapery tracks and it was difficult but I managed with help. Saturday morning the pain had really intensified. Again, ice and Ibuprofen. I have a tender place on top at the AC location. Mobility up an down is OK and across chest is Ok but tender. I can lift objects just not heavy ones. Today, Sunday is better. Anyone had this type of injury that can tell me estimated down time and exercises that may help??

Earl Gray
03-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Damn! I was hoping you were talking about Contador :crap: :crap:

Sorry to hear you are hurting. If you haven't already, seek real medical help.

AngryScientist
03-04-2012, 09:46 PM
i'll second the above -

doctor - you need to see a doctor...

Louis
03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
I think you also need to figure out what caused the original incident. Sounds weird to me.

cmg
03-04-2012, 09:51 PM
GO TO THE DOCTOR. You may have damaged something. GO TO THE DOCTOR.

kaze
03-04-2012, 10:17 PM
There are different severities of AC separations. If you can still move your arm I would guess that you have a Type I, but you should definitely get a x-ray.

I have a Type III separation from a mountain bike crash. I couldn't move my arm at all and my clavicle was almost poking through my skin. The recovery was long and slow but, surprisingly, they didn't recommend surgery (which involves removing the end of the clavicle and strapping it down). My arm was in a sling, then physical therapy, then continued weight training on my my own. It still gets sore sometimes but I've got about 95% of my range of motion back. I've included a couple links below, one which shows the different types of AC separations and one for the pendulum exercise. Of everything I did during the recovery and physical therapy, I'd say that the simple pendulum exercise was the most effective. But, as everyone mentioned, you should see an orthopedic doctor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separated_shoulder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn4LDOkWRHk

lemondsteel
03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Today is Tuesday and the shoulder is much better. Sunday night I put a towel rolled up in my armpit put the elbow down and squeezed it in with my other hand. "POP" and most of the pain is gone now. A little tenderness on top but what a relief from pain. I know, I know, I had no business trying that but when your deductable is $3,000. I tend not to go to the doctor unless it is an emergemncy. A friend who is a orthopedic doctor said I probably had a partial dislocation. Called it some name I wasn't familiar with. So, Sorry to all those that say self diagnoses it not good and thanks to all who responded. Going back out tomorrow and take it easy.
As for accident cause.......... Pilot error I assume.

Fixed
03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
old school man made of lemondsteel
imho glad you are ok
cheers :beer:

uber
03-06-2012, 07:17 PM
See a doctor. If there is no significant injury, the basic rule of orthopedic injury is 6 weeks. If there is an injury that needs to be treated (corrected), waiting could make the treatment and recovery more complicated. Hope you get better soon.

noonan1970
03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
your not going to see a doctor, I sould definitely see a physical Therapist that specializes in shoulders at least once! If anything they can give you some good exercises to get back on track. You could regret it later if you don't. Shoulders are a finicky thing

lemondsteel
03-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I am retired and I restor and repair furniture and do odd jobs. Today I had 4 16x10 wood panels on a wall to retore and It was a lot of arm movemnt up and down. Made sure to use the bad arm/shoulder as much as possible. Made a big difference in increase mobility. Feels good tonight but will continue ibruprofen and aspirin. Thanks guys. By the way retired the Lemond steel and have ridden a mint Serotta Colorado for 5 or 6 years. Love it.

hockeybike
03-06-2012, 07:49 PM
See a doctor. If you did separate your shoulder, you'll be doing yourself a disservice by not doing some rehab for it and strengthening it back up.

bennybasics
03-06-2012, 08:03 PM
I, just like Kaze, had the pleasure of a Type III separation. My doctor gave me the same non-surgical recommendation and moved me to a sling along with a rigorous physio regimen. I'd like to think I'm about at 99% but whenever I reach that critical 1% (which has only happened once) it reminds me of the incident and I tread lightly.

Get checked out at least by a Physical Therapist and hopefully you get the same prognosis that Kaze and I got and you can just nurse yourself back into shape. Crossing my fingers!

lemondsteel
03-07-2012, 06:55 PM
You know the crazy thing about this injury........ I'm committed to doing a Tough Mudder in Tennessee next year. I deemed this my first training ride for this event. I'm 60 yrs old and still backpack. climb, ride mtn. bike and road. My son does these things with me and also has done multiple Tough Mudder events. I wonder if this was suppose to be a preminiton of whats in store for me. Anyone on the forum tried on of these at my age???
Link below:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 DnvXlsrSXq7A%26sns%3Dem&h=7AQHQUHtSAQHWmIO9lopRLXZ8vCy9lxxE-3dHrBPSw7Of9Q

Fixed
03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
man of steel
trains for jail break ?

you and your son = cool
imho cheers :beer:

lemondsteel
03-07-2012, 07:37 PM
thanks Fixed! David, my son is with out a doubt the best son anyone could hope for. 27, yrs. old, smart, great job, cares about what's going on in the world and is physically a monster. I use to kick his as* on the bike but that stopped about 3 years ago, I am very fortunate to be blessed with a best friend and son.