PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ridden a Colnago?

steel515
03-04-2012, 06:51 AM
I have never ridden a Colnago. Can anyone compare handling to Serottas? I was wondering if I am missing out on anything.

happycampyer
03-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Pretty hard to generalize. As race bikes go, my experience is that Colnago's geometry is on the less aggressive side (vs. say, Pinarello), with slacker headtube angles (e.g., < 73° in a 56 vs. 73.5°, with a 43mm rake fork), so slightly more trail, etc. I think Serotta's general design philosophy (and Kelly Bedford's, who influenced Serotta's designs for many, many years) is similar, but since Serottas are custom, that doesn't mean that a customer doesn't come along and say, "I want more aggressive handling, like my Dogma," and the bike is built along those lines. So I would say that it really depends on the bike. Fwiw, the geometry of my MeiVici turns out to be very similar to a C50, but with a little more bottom bracket drop. The handling of both is very neutral and stable, especially at high speed.

steampunk
03-04-2012, 07:37 AM
I have an HSG IT and a Master B-stay. Taken individually, both handle well and are great rides. I do find myself riding the HSG more and I like it better.

The caveat is that this is a very specific example and as happycamper said it is difficult to generalize. That being said, a Colnago is a bike. And while it is a well made one with a storied and respected brand, there's nothing "magic" about the ride or handling itself that I can attribute purely to "being a Colnago."

stephenmarklay
03-04-2012, 07:48 AM
Timely thread as I put together my first Colnago. Mine is an early 1990's super. If it feels 90% of my old Serotta CR I will be very pleased.

texbike
03-04-2012, 07:59 AM
I've had several Colnagos over the years in Ti, steel, and carbon. Outside of the crappy 80s era Mexico that I had, they've all been fantastic riding bikes that were stable, smooth (some smoother than others), great handling, and responsive to pedal input.

Basically, they've been bikes that do what they should.

It comes down to personal preference of course, but I've had a couple of Serottas come and go, but I still have a Colnago. In fact, I'm heading out on it now. :)

Texbike

oldpotatoe
03-04-2012, 08:27 AM
I have never ridden a Colnago. Can anyone compare handling to Serottas? I was wondering if I am missing out on anything.

Put 3 people in a room and ask about a frame's ride qualities and get 4 answers. Too many variables, too subjective. I have worked on a lot of Colnagos(and serottas) and some are great riding when I test ride them and some aren't, to me. A lot of it comes from my preconceived notion about the frame. Steel or ti? I think I'm gonna like it. Carbon or 'blends', probably won't.

But it doesn't matter, really, I'm just trying to make them work well.

djg
03-04-2012, 09:57 AM
So, my experience is limited. For about 6 years, a Colnago CT1 was my main bike. That frame had a 6/4 Ti main triangle, the same carbon rear triangle as the C40, and a carbon fork. Nowadays, I have both a Serotta HSG Ti and a Look 585. There was a bit of overlap between the Colnago and the Serotta.

The Serotta and the Colnago seemed different, maybe mostly at the front end, but they really seemed the most different when switching back and forth. The Colnago was notably stable in high speed cornering or descents, but I'd say that both bikes had (and have) solid and predictable handling. Either could be a surprise in the first 5 minutes, but If I were to ride either one for a few days in a row, it would tend to disappear, and seem natural in its handling to me. In truth, I didn't love switching back and forth, but could have been happy on either bike on its own.

jimcav
03-04-2012, 10:58 AM
amongst my bikes. the c40 pre-B stay was my first carbon bike. Had every other generation up to c50 HP, each time I found myself riding something else more, so sold it, only to then miss not having a colnago. They were good bikes, I often loved the paint schemes. My preference for bikes leans toward quicker handling. The colnago were in contrast more stable--great for long days riding and hands free, neither of which was what i really enjoyed as far as rides.
So, they are good bikes, and i think ideal if you do a lot of long riding (4-5 hrs+). Just my opinion

Charles M
03-04-2012, 11:59 AM
One is lighter and heavier than the other.

One is more and less flexy than the other.

One is painted, one is partially painted and one is unpainted.

one is a lot quicker handling than the other but more and less stable in mid corner.

One comes with a comb over and the other never would.

AngryScientist
03-04-2012, 12:06 PM
the C50 remains one of the favorite bikes i've ever ridden.

never owned one, but "rented" for a week while in San Diego. Puts lots of long days in the saddle on it, and loved every minute. The C50 is a great bike, no question.

that said, as the others have mentioned - your question is very very vague, if you could narrow down your concerns a bit you'll get much more useful answers.

katematt
03-04-2012, 12:08 PM
a bit sacrilegious around here but I owned a CLX 2.0 for a couple of years. This was my first foray into carbon fiber. Great bike, handled well stiff as could be and pretty light. Opened my eyes to what is posible.

None the less, no personality other than the attributes listed above and I sold her. Currently on a Calfee Tetra Pro and there is comparison.

slowgoing
03-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Yes, you need to ride one. They have a distinct ride based up their slack head tube angles and resulting high trail. This makes them more stable than most production bikes, you really have to try one to appreciate the feeling. I found that this makes them very fun for carving turns while descending. They hold a line very well, meaning they take more input to steer and are not as twitchy as most crit bikes. They are more of a long stage race type of geometry, stable but comfortable. They also climb well. I have ridden a C-40, C-50, CT-1, master x light and monotitan.

ergott
03-04-2012, 02:02 PM
I liked my C40 so much, I had my Ottrott geo made to match. After trying out the Spooky for over a year, I just got back on the Serotta. I think the handling is awesome. I ride with more confidence and can work my line while cornering better. Mines a 53cm (71.5HA and 43mm fork). I was told that the trail was too much. I don't care, I love it. I also outhandle my riding buddies.

TAW
03-04-2012, 04:47 PM
I've had a C-40 and a CT-1. I like the handling, because the geometry makes them less "quick". I hope to get another Colnago soon.

stephenmarklay
03-04-2012, 05:07 PM
I can't wait to get my super built up. Sounds like a nice ride for some Gran Fondo rides that are nearby.

binxnyrwarrsoul
03-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Have a Master X Light. It's a ride all day kind of bike.

alexstar
03-04-2012, 11:44 PM
I had a '93 Colnago Super Piu that was a very nice ride - it was very comfortable, relaxed enough to ride all day but still railed the descents.

stephenmarklay
03-05-2012, 06:50 AM
I had a '93 Colnago Super Piu that was a very nice ride - it was very comfortable, relaxed enough to ride all day but still railed the descents.

Mine appears to be a '92 Super Piu and that is the characteristic I am looking for. How did you like it climbing?

Do you happen to know what the geometry of the Super Piu?

Climb01742
03-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Yes, you need to ride one. They have a distinct ride based up their slack head tube angles and resulting high trail. This makes them more stable than most production bikes, you really have to try one to appreciate the feeling. I found that this makes them very fun for carving turns while descending. They hold a line very well, meaning they take more input to steer and are not as twitchy as most crit bikes. They are more of a long stage race type of geometry, stable but comfortable. They also climb well. I have ridden a C-40, C-50, CT-1, master x light and monotitan.

this sums up my experience. have owned a c-40, c-50, c-50 extreme and master x light. my fav was the c-50. i really dug the stability. i like longer hard rides, usually solo, so the character of the c-50 was a great match.

nightfend
03-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I own a C50 Extreme Power, and I will also re-iterate what others have said. The bike is stiff, but has a very plush ride. Ideal for long rides. It's also very stable on the descents, and best of all can accept 700x25's with plenty of room to spare. It is by far my favorite riding bike and prefer it over my race bike which is a Cannondale.

deechee
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
The only thing I really noticed were the really amazing Colnago branded tires on my friend's Ferarri C50. They were smoothest tires I have ever felt. The rest of the bike just felt like a giant piece of plastic ;)

I ride a steel Serotta :D

alexstar
03-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Mine appears to be a '92 Super Piu and that is the characteristic I am looking for. How did you like it climbing?

Do you happen to know what the geometry of the Super Piu?

Climbing was OK - it was SL tubing, if I recall correctly, so the BB was a little "springy" and I got some FD rub when out of the saddle. Also not the lightest bike by today's standards (21 lbs or so, with Chorus and 32-spoke wheels) but it didn't hold me back. I have a Cinelli Supercorsa and the ride is very similar. I never could find a geometry chart, sorry, but mine was a little different from "typical" colnago geometry - the head tube wasn't as slack and it was a 56cm square, instead of having a shorter top tube. Hope this helps.

hookookadoo
03-05-2012, 06:42 PM
I did a good bit of research on the C50 and found nothing but rave reviews for the earlier models especially. I don't know the other Colnago frames as well but I've always sensed the C50 represented their crown jewel in terms of popularity. The C40 probably falls in the same camp but tough to find these days.

I, like Deechee, prefer steel over carbon though.

Fixed
03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
I've had several Colnagos over the years in Ti, steel, and carbon. Outside of the crappy 80s era Mexico that I had, they've all been fantastic riding bikes that were stable, smooth (some smoother than others), great handling, and responsive to pedal input.

Texbike
ouch that mex was one of my favs.
cheers :beer:

Elefantino
03-05-2012, 08:43 PM
I had a C96.

Fantastic-looking. Meh-riding.

Sold it to Dave T., who in turn sold it to someone else.

laupsi
03-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Have a Master X Light. It's a ride all day kind of bike.

I "had" a Master Light. It had a very low bottom bracket making it pretty unsuitable for fast cornering. Was sitting 3rd in the opening road race coming into the final corner one year at the Tour de Toona; scraped the pedal and down I went for the entire tour. Suffice it to say I never raced it again, sold the bike at the end of that season. We all nick named it the "Master Heavy" too. Mine was steel and weighed in at about 20 lbs.

"Different strokes for different folks", glad you like yours! :)

stephenmarklay
03-06-2012, 08:23 AM
I "had" a Master Light. It had a very low bottom bracket making it pretty unsuitable for fast cornering. Was sitting 3rd in the opening road race coming into the final corner one year at the Tour de Toona; scraped the pedal and down I went for the entire tour. Suffice it to say I never raced it again, sold the bike at the end of that season. We all nick named it the "Master Heavy" too. Mine was steel and weighed in at about 20 lbs.

"Different strokes for different folks", glad you like yours! :)

Now days it is not a comparison for weight... But then again neither is a SACHS etc.

Fixed
03-07-2012, 10:53 AM
c59
cheers

Fixed
03-07-2012, 05:48 PM
i don't want to start a thread but this is selling as a 86 . i think they are off a few years
cheers

bluesea
05-10-2012, 02:54 PM
I should submit my post before this thread goes complete flatline, but then again Colnago itself hasn't gone full-on Cinelli...yet.

I've been thinking off and on for the past 2 yr of getting another Mxl, so a few days ago I surfed over to shiny bike with CC in hand. To my surprise no more deals, as their price has jumped up about 700 clams since last visit. Must be fate, so I didn't bother to check anywhere else. The good news is a good member of this forum has provided the essential numbers (in my size) for a custom build. :thumbsup:

The bad news is the whim (not the dream) has temporarily passed, so I'll continue on with my Roubaix for now. It would have been my third Colnago. Log me in as one who loves the Colnago way, when it comes to fast curvy descents. KB and IF are on the wish list, in that order for an Mxl reborn. I must admit the interest in IF is mainly their palette of colors, and parenthetically the lack thereof at KB.

jerome
05-10-2012, 03:39 PM
You are missing nothing Colnagos ride as a dead piece of wood, as others mass production bikes, dull, it is part of the legend back in the 1990's it was great bikes the Master Olympic the C40 not anymore.

FlashUNC
05-10-2012, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't kick a C40 or C59 out of bed.

Not the most durable paint in the world though.

A buddy in the mid 90's got a Master X-Light with Campy Chorus. Still one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen.

jumpjube
05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Out of the current stable of about a dozen steel and ti bikes, my older MasterXLight is still one of my favorites.

Could be the Campy Hyperon rims but the MXL works for me. I ride it a bit more often than either of my Serottas.

Stable, as others have posted; great for long rides.

My C50 was replaced by an older CSi. Seems I just don't "get" carbon bikes. For reasons that escaped me, it didn't do what the MXL does for me. Still have the C50, though, so I may build it up again some day.

Vientomas
05-10-2012, 04:35 PM
I had a Master Piu and I am currently riding a C40. Both ride well and the handling characteristics suit me. The C40 feels a lot like the Master Piu, but is lighter in weight. Some describe the handling of Colnago's as slow. I like to think of it as predictable, especially at speed. Coming from a mountain bike background, I am used to, and enjoy, slack head tube angles. Different strokes for different folks.

Keith A
05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
...Some describe the handling of Colnago's as slow. I like to think of it as predictable, especially at speed. Coming from a mountain bike background, I am used to, and enjoy, slack head tube angles. Different stokes for different folks.This is what took me a while to get used to...the slack HTA. Now that I have ridden one for a while (C-50), it feels fine...but different than my other bikes. However, this wouldn't be my pick for racing in a crit.

wai2fast
05-10-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm still riding my mid-90s Masterlight and love it. Weirdly enough though I find the front end to be too stiff and not as smooth as the other carbon frame/forks I've ridden in the past.

I also raced my Masterlight at the Tour de Toona back in the 90s and found it handled as a race bike should. It's heavy (~20lbs) when compared to the super lightweights that are on the road today.

monkeybanana86
05-10-2012, 04:58 PM
My heavy Master before it got slammed by a stupid car had a non-mitered tube protruding in the BB. Tacking nails were visible. And I wonder if the tubes were even butted. Still, loved it very much like one would an old classic car. This was three bikes ago so I can't really say much on handling.

ultraman6970
05-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Used a colnago master long time ago, actually my 18th b/day gift from my dad... Story short... the bike did not work, im talking back in 87 so who knows if they changed them later but at least the 1st generations rode weird to me. I did not find it aggressive and i did not liked the handling. Gave it a chance for a month and then returned it to the store, continued using a custom made a year before... frame i still have.

Colnago made and make great bikes but it depends on the model and what are u looking for also. Had a tesch that for some reason sucked everything i was put in the pedals, was frustrating. A friend had 2 pinarellos that were pretty poor in performance.

In general, not a single manufacturer has not screwed at least one time in a bike, colnago and pinarello have a bunch of stuff that shouldn't have made it out of the factory ever but they sold them anyways. At the other side you have riders that you can give them a clearly fast bike and a slow one and they won't feel the difference either. Happy I can notice slight differences.

arcadian
05-10-2012, 05:39 PM
This is my thought on the handling of my Tecnos. Love this bike and want everything else to ride as it does.

bluesea
05-10-2012, 05:58 PM
You are missing nothing Colnagos ride as a dead piece of wood, as others mass production bikes, dull, it is part of the legend back in the 1990's it was great bikes the Master Olympic the C40 not anymore.

Deadish, actually. The year 2K+ Columbus tubed Mxl/w carbon fork is not dead enough to dissatisfy completely, in fact I obviously liked it. I don't want to relive my '76 Cinelli SC, 80's Master, or even the mid 90's Ritchey Road Logic, but I'm thinking a KBC Ti Comp or even (and more likely) the TIG Comp will do the Mxl proud.

Now I'm thinking its better to move ahead, rather than living with the idea of a non-Columbus Mxl.

Elefantino
05-10-2012, 06:52 PM
One is lighter and heavier than the other.

One is more and less flexy than the other.

One is painted, one is partially painted and one is unpainted.

one is a lot quicker handling than the other but more and less stable in mid corner.

One comes with a comb over and the other never would.
Just because you test bikes for a living is no reason to show off.

AngryScientist
05-10-2012, 06:55 PM

totally disagree. i think the C50 is simply a great bike.

laupsi
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
most least desirable bike I have ever owned was a Colnago, "Master Heavy". Sold it in less than a year!

dd74
05-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Some days it's a real struggle to decide whether to ride my '85 Colnago Master or my 2011 Serotta CdA. The Colnago is just that good an all around performer, regardless of the 4 or 5 pound penalty.

OperaLover
05-11-2012, 07:48 PM
This is my thought on the handling of my Tecnos. Love this bike and want everything else to ride as it does.

Me, too!

mtechnica
05-12-2012, 12:46 AM
I have an SL colnago frame with modern components and wheels. Back to back with my aluminum racing bike the colnago feels like a magic carpet. The handling is extremely stable at any speed and it's satisfyingly responsive. Response and stability at high speeds are like nothing else I've ridden. You can dart back and forth at high speeds and it feels perfect. It's definitely flexy but if I'm climbing in the saddle it feels quick anyway. I would say it's the best overall handling bike I've ridden. I am very interested in C40's at the moment and I want to ride one.