PDA

View Full Version : Serotta good at Touring?

wagaces
08-22-2005, 06:38 AM
I am looking at getting a Serotta for generalroad riding and touring. I have heard questions on if they hold up for touring. Has anyone had one designed for touring.

Thanks

vandeda
08-22-2005, 10:34 AM
A guy at work has a Rapid Tour Ti which was designed for touring. If you want a touring bike, they can buid you a touring bike designed for the loads you are planning to carry. Should be no problems whatsoever with a Serotta.

Dan

Bradford
08-22-2005, 11:13 AM
I think it depends on what you mean by touring.

If you mean anything short of riding with panniers, then Serotta would be a great choice. I've ridden up to 140 miles in one day on my Legend ST and it road like a dream. I also think something in a rapid tour geometry would be great for most riding, including supported tours or credit card tours.

If you mean loading up the panniers and heading out on the open road for a couple of weeks, I think there are better options. I would go with the Independence for Independent Fabrications or the Americo from Co-Motion, or even the Nor'Wester from Co-Motion, which is a little lighter weight. If you have the cash, you might also consider Bruce Gordon, who makes a sweet touring bike.

I have both a touring bike (IF) and a Legend, and I could not combine the two into one bike for what I do with them. I use the IF for loaded touring, commuting, winter riding, and errands; I use the Legend for daily rides, group rides, and anytime I want to go fast. The legend gets about 95% of my ride time.

A touring bike is much more stable, has a bigger rear wheel (135 spacing), and a triple. It is a great ride, but since it is beefier and has a larger wheel (not to mention the rack), it is heavier. My IF rides really well, but it just isn’t as fast or agile as my Legend.

I know many people don’t want to invest that much money in bikes, but for me, it is necessary. If you are doing loaded touring, a road bike can’t handle the load; if you like to ride fast or ride in groups, a touring bike is to slow. If money is an issue, I’d rather go used on both bikes than new on one that is a compromise. You can get a used Cannondale touring bike for less than many people pay for wheels around here.

Kirk Pacenti
08-22-2005, 11:17 AM
you might also consider Bruce Gorden, who makes a sweet touring bike.

Bruce's "Rock n' Road" is the best touring bike out there, bar none! (IMHO)

mfb1001
08-22-2005, 11:22 AM
I currently have a Legend used for club rides, but another bike that would be good for loaded touring is the Rivendell Atlantis. I use mine for daily commutes and touring (limited at the moment).

Serotta PETE
08-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Bike/Frame works very well for light tour.

If you are doing camping touring, I am sure they can build you one, but there are others out there.

A "full on" touring bike in my opinion would be very boring riding for non touring activity. (just my past experience)

The Serotta CRT either in steel (CIII) or Ti is a very nice all around bike, unless you are doing camping and cooking by carrying the equipment on bike.

Too Tall
08-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Wagaces, I rode my Ti Legend across the USA twice howzat? Like the boys said it depends. Stock models may need custom details to make them ready for you. In general good road racing bikes make good fast light touring bikes. What do you plan to carry for touring? For instance, look at the Giles Berthoud Saddlebag + Rack combo and a Baggins Boxy bag ,up front, is not too much to put on a good road racing bike. Pack light and smart, you'll be OTAY ;)

Carrying the weight from the seat post is good thinking and works well. What I described is the upper end of what I'd feel comfortable recommending you with a stock Serotta.

Beyond that you need to talk to your rep. and design your dream bike.

Hope that helps.

Eric E
08-22-2005, 01:24 PM
I've had two Ti Rapid tour frames for light loaded (<50 lb loads) and credit card (<25 lb loads) touring. Personally, Ti is an ideal material for tour bikes - comfortable yet strong and tough. The first bike was too flexible (would speed wobble at >35 mph and was scary when loaded going down hills), but Serotta replaced that frame with one with a stiffer tube set. It is a great ride...

When I had troubles with the first frame, I realized that there are companies with more experience building tour bikes. Still, I did not regret going to Serotta because I really needed the Serotta fitting to allow me to be comfortable on a bike. For me, with heavy shoulders and short legs, standard seat tube angles caused misery to my body.

The second frame is wonderful, and is my do-everything frame. I can switch out to racks and steel fork for touring and still have a light weight bike with a carbon fiber fork for local rides. If I had longer feet (and thus needed longer chain stays than the 42.5 cm Rapid Tour design) and carried a lot more stuff on tour, I might be interested in a something like a Bruce Gordon bike. Then again, I do not race.

Interestingly enough, several manufacturers (e.g., Moots, Hampsten) are using rapid tour-like dimensions (42.5 chainstays, lower head tube angles, 8 cm BB drop) for some of their new bikes. But I stay loyal to Serotta - their empahsis on fit contrasts with responses from other local manufacturers who would force me on to a bike with steep seat tube angles. I'd just make sure that your Serotta is made from stiffer than normal tubing for your size. Personally, I love the new frame's stiffness - unloaded, it really jumps up the hills, and loaded, it provides a stable ride...

Best, Eric

sg8357
08-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Bruce's "Rock n' Road" is the best touring bike out there, bar none! (IMHO)

Bruce Gordon's BLT is a screaming good deal, you can buy the frameset
for $1k. Also available with 559 wheels. The Atlantis can be used
as a touring bike, but lacks front braze ons. The handling of the
Atlantis is very very good in 700c, I haven't ridden a 559 Atlantis.
My idea would be a Bruce Gordon Rock n' Road for 650b wheels
with some nifty Gordon racks and the new Paul Centre Pulls.

As for the best, that would be a Rene Herse Camping, but
you'd have to loot a small country to afford one. ;-)

Scott G.

Dekonick
08-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Kirk told me last year he could make me a nice toruing bike.

Kirkframeworks.com

nice bikes!

Thanks Dave!

Bradford
08-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Kirk told me last year he could make me a nice toruing bike.

The last time I was out for a tour, I spent a lot of the time in the saddle thinking about what a Kirk touring bike would be like. If he could figure out a way to anchor the rear rack so that the Terraplane could give, I think it could be the perfect touring bike.

LOOK 381 Jaja
08-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Another choice would be a Tournesol frame from the Hampsten/Brooks consortium. They have 3 models for touring and believe have commited to this style of cycling. I would also look at the Rivendell web site as they are also commited to touring. To build a Serotta for touring would be like asking Ferrari to build a station wagon for the family. They could do it.... but... I would question the how much of there time and passion is in touring bikes... with fenders and maybe wider tires and racks. This is not meant to be mean just an observation due the newest racing products from Serotta (all carbon) and the dropping of the dinasour CSi of which I own 2. I predict that there will be a resurgence in the Audax style frame with fenders due to the aging of the baby boomers and they/I will pay $2,000 for the frame and a bunch for the rest and be able to ride it until I retire and then some. I should get my Tournesol within the next month and can't wait to pimp it out. good luck

palincss
08-22-2005, 05:10 PM
As for the best, that would be a Rene Herse Camping, but
you'd have to loot a small country to afford one. ;-)

Scott G.

You could, of course, get the same from Alex Singer... and, surprisingly enough, the complete bike would be about two thousand dollars cheaper than one of the new carbon Serotta frames. Now there is a bike you'd need to loot a small country to afford...

Dr. Doofus
08-22-2005, 05:16 PM
serottas are great for touring

ben has done a few tours

don't know about spouses or siblings

but yeah

ben's a great tourist

Smiley
08-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Loaded Touring , Bradford has it right , check out the offerings from Co-Motion . what makes Co-Mo unique for loaded and I mean loaded touring is they build their touring bikes as if they are tandems , long chain stays and 145 mm rear spacing and they will supply a drum brake if you want it . Were talking hauling loads now . Sure you can find a custom builder but these guys have worked out the kinks . Want a burger go to Mickey D's , want Fried Chicken don't go there , see KFC instead .