PDA

View Full Version : Tommasini Super Prestige

msl819
03-03-2012, 06:40 PM
This thing was hiding in storage of a house that was being cleared out and was saved from being trashed. My best guess is it is an 1987-88 but not sure and not sure how to tell. All the equipment is Dura Ace 7401 7 speed and with the exception of a little rash on the rear mech and brake lever it is all in really, really good shape. The frame looks to be Columbus SLX from what I have seen online. The tubing sticker is no longer. I love all the "T" cutouts on the lugs, seatstays, and bottom of the BB. There is the normal amount of paint chips missing but it looks as thought the entire bike is chromed beneath the paint. The chrome that is exposed is as close to perfect as I can imagine for a bike of this age. The only negative I was able to find was a very small dent on the top of the lug/top tube junction. For a bike that has been sitting unused for this long it rides and shifts great. I have never used downtube shifters, but the little riding on this I was able to do it was as I would imagine it should be. Unfortunately for me it measures ~ 56.5cm squared and I ride a 59-60 cm top tube. I will probably look to let this go but wanted to post up some pics. I have no idea what a value on these would be. All I can find on Ebay are "Buy It Now" auctions that seem crazy expensive to me. If any of you care to fill in the gaps for me about these vintage Italian beauties I would greatly appreciate it... and a value would be nice too. If a forumite is interested I would be more than willing to pass a good fair deal inside the community.

msl819
03-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Here are a few more

bargainguy
03-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Sweet. Thanks for saving. Gonna make somebody happy.

Don

vav
03-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Nice find. And my size too. Do I need another bike? NO. Do I want another bike? You bet. Hopefully you'll find a good owner that will ride it. :)

http://www.2011.handmadebicycleshow.com/2011/02/27/tommasini-bicycles-first-time-at-nahbs/

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15746

Fixed
03-03-2012, 07:15 PM
i had it's twin in red ,same size
i loved mine
sold it when my son was born in 92
the paint looks better in person
cheers

vav
03-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Man, my 5th visit to this thread in less than 10 min. I'd better stop or I'll end up with an offer you can't refuse

Fishbike
03-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Bike Karma will reward you for saving that beauty.

msl819
03-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Anyone care to suggest what a fair "forum" price would be? These all seem crazy to me.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=tommasini+bike

gomango
03-03-2012, 10:39 PM
If this helps you at all, I sold an identical frameset to a friend two years ago for $875.

That was a friend price, as it had never been built.

It was absolutely spotless btw, with a Chris King headset.

To be sure though, your DA gruppo won't improve your position as much as you might think.

I have a Sintesi that is all DA that I picked up for a song. The frame looks a little rougher than yours, but rides like a dream.

Nice find and good luck finding a home for that beauty.

tsarpepe
03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
It is hard to determine from the pics what the condition of the frameset is. With this kind of bikes, the nuances between "very good" and "mint" translate into a lot of bucks. This being said, Tommasini is the absolute top of Italian craftsmanship; it may have equals, but it has no superiors. $800 for the frameset would be fair, but if you ask $1,200 no one will think you are greedy. Tommasinis are so special and so rare around here, that there's just no basis for deciding when exactly one has stepped over the line. I agree that the DA doesn't add much. This is "wrong" of course, as the 7400 stuff is wonderful, but for some reason people like to believe that classic Italian bikes should come with Campy. (I love that, since it allows me to pick up great bikes with DA, leave the hype to others, and ride the better stuff :banana: :banana: :banana: )

Joachim
03-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Tommasini is one of my favorite italian frames (especially since you can still get them custom), especially the Tecno. That being said, the price for this frame also depends on the dent in the top tube you described. This definitely takes some $$'s off the price.

thinpin
03-04-2012, 02:18 PM
What a wonderful find. i suspect you may make more (if that is important) by splitting and selling the group and frame separately.
BTW those enema jugs in the bottle cages look shocking!

tsarpepe
03-04-2012, 02:25 PM
What a wonderful find. i suspect you may make more (if that is important) by splitting and selling the group and frame separately.

True that. A DA group won't add much to the value of the frameset, but you have a beauty there, complete with wheels and seatpost. I can easily see someone dropping $500 on a complete and minty DA 7400. With the index shifters, you could have gone much higher. Again, condition decides everything here.

dpmackey
03-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Looks like it is in great shape.
To give my opinion I think that a reasonable forum price that you would be able to sell it for without a problem for the complete bike would be about 1000 to 1100 USD. You could ask for a couple hundred more and you would probably get it from the right buyer.

All of this is dependant on the dent and based on the photos.

This is based on watching basically every eBay auction for a tommasini in the last couple of years as well as Craig's list prices (all over the place) and sales on other cycling forums.

If it was a little bigger, I would give you an offer :)

msl819
03-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Here is a much better shot of the dent on the top tube. Any of you with knowledge about this I would love to know your thoughts. I would suspect it is merely cosmetic but I am by no means the right person to ask. I would certainly expect this to affect the value but not sure how much. Without being able to put your hands on it and see it in person is this cosmetic or will it need to be fixed?

AgilisMerlin
03-04-2012, 05:11 PM
that just adds a little character.

minor, i am thinking. sign of use.

gomango
03-05-2012, 05:02 AM
Here is a much better shot of the dent on the top tube. Any of you with knowledge about this I would love to know your thoughts. I would suspect it is merely cosmetic but I am by no means the right person to ask. I would certainly expect this to affect the value but not sure how much. Without being able to put your hands on it and see it in person is this cosmetic or will it need to be fixed?

Check to see if there is a ripple underneath the down tube where it meets the head lug.

My guess is there could be one there as well.

That would be evidence of a front collision of some sort.

Do you live near a framebuilder of any renown?

It would be nice to get a clean bill of health or a prognosis of costs.

Fwiw The fork doesn't look bent from the pics, so that's a good sign.

We all agree, that's a beautiful bicycle, and it would be great to keep her on the road.

Here's a pic of my Sintesi. I had loaned it to my brother for a ride and he loved it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7036/6858587047_663ef36d0f_z.jpg

msl819
03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
I am not seeing any other ripples or cracks in the paint. I will check again when I can get it out and in better light. I will also look back through Williams thread about framebuilders by state to see who is close to me I have worked with David as Southwest Framework before and was please with his work. Last I heard he was in ailing health so I am not sure what his status is these days.

allenwhy
03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
When I bought my Tommasini of the samevintage it came with the same DA group. I bought it for about $600. It has campy now, I wish I didn't sell the DA stuff! That's a very pretty bike, here is mine, a little less loud but still very Italian.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/allenwhy/tommasini/3564b2ed.jpg

stephenmarklay
03-11-2012, 10:36 PM
When I bought my Tommasini of the samevintage it came with the same DA group. I bought it for about $600. It has campy now, I wish I didn't sell the DA stuff! That's a very pretty bike, here is mine, a little less loud but still very Italian.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/allenwhy/tommasini/3564b2ed.jpg

Nice looking bike!

bobj
03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Have you sold it yet?

msl819
03-18-2012, 07:29 PM
technically i have not... as of right now i passed it along to a buddy of mine to ride and enjoy as if it were his own. currently, i am not looking to sell it. if/when he passes it back to me i will then look to sell it. i just decided the hassle of packing and shipping were something i didn't want to deal with. he is an aspiring framebuilder so i figured i would pay it forward to him. plus he needs a bike with gears.

gomango
03-18-2012, 07:33 PM
technically i have not... as of right now i passed it along to a buddy of mine to ride and enjoy as if it were his own. currently, i am not looking to sell it. if/when he passes it back to me i will then look to sell it. i just decided the hassle of packing and shipping were something i didn't want to deal with. he is an aspiring framebuilder so i figured i would pay it forward to him. plus he needs a bike with gears.

That is fantastic.

A major way to go.

msl819
03-18-2012, 07:48 PM
That is fantastic.

A major way to go.

Thanks... he is a good dude and his excitement was worth more to me than any money i would have made off it. plus i told him one day when there is a 7 year wait list for his frames i will come knocking on his door!!!

stephenmarklay
03-18-2012, 08:06 PM

Awesome! A bike is nothing without a rider to love it.

msl819
03-18-2012, 11:04 PM
i appreciate all of the input and answers to questions from you guys... the collective knowledge of this site is always impressive.

LouDeeter
03-19-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm thinking that the bike was on top of a car that collided mildly with the garage at the handlebars, causing the top lug point to dig into the toptube, but since there was no real force on the fork, no damage evident elsewhere. Probably not a problem for riding, but it is a problem when you decide to sell, probably halves the value of the frame in my opinion. Perfect for a newbee to ride though. I think your choice of using it as a loaner is the best way to go. There are some people who like that group. I'm guessing with wheels, the parts package is probably worth $300-350.

cnighbor1
03-19-2012, 10:12 AM
""Here is a much better shot of the dent on the top tube. '' That dent looks like fork was hit in such a way that it rotated up wards and pushed lug into top of top tube. Now we need photos of underside of top tube at head tube plus down tube at head tube top and bottom has they shoud be affected also
charles Nighbor