PDA

View Full Version : Moots Compact & Parlee Z4

veloduffer
03-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I just got this Moots frameset from steveo, which is a 2005 56cm Compact and looked brand new (thanks Steve!). It's built up with parts that I had in bins - Campy 10 speed mix of Chorus shifters, Record crankset, Centaur derailleurs and cassette. I'm nursing a pulled calf and hamstring, so I really can't put it through the paces yet. Without pedals and cages, the bike is 16.1 lbs. I might replace the wheelset with a lighter handbuilt set (thinking A23s laced to Alchemy hubs).

Earlier this year, I bought a new Parlee Z4, which is one of two stock models that Parlee carries. This bike is Large (57.5cm TT) and has a mix of Campy 11 parts - Athena shifters and derailleurs and Super Record Crankset. It's sporting a set of Stan's Alpha rims laced to Alchemy hubs by Sapim CX-ray spokes; they weigh 1310 grams and built by our esteemed forumite, Eric Ergott. This bike with pedals and cages weighs 15.1 lbs. It's a very smooth bike and with the short chainstays, it really feels responsive when I accelerate in the climbs.

My conceit to being over 50 are the compact cranks and spacers that I need despite a 6cm drop from saddle to bar. I like fast (race geo) bikes, but I can't get that low anymore (sigh!). I do enjoy riding them, though.

http://johnz.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v21/p593226745-5.jpg

http://johnz.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v17/p1053691457-5.jpg

Fixed
03-03-2012, 05:35 PM
2 all star headliners

a man of refined cycling taste
a gentleman racer
with : two stunning bikes
cheers :beer:

54ny77
03-03-2012, 05:48 PM
If I had to have only 2 frames for the rest of my grumpy days, you sir have exactly what I'd pick. :beer:

pitcrew
03-03-2012, 08:53 PM
I like your garage door

BCS
03-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Nice pair! You have good taste--I also have a Z4 and a Moots Compact. They have distinct personalities but I really enjoy them both.

Ti-Boy
03-04-2012, 06:42 AM
Two great bikes. I ride a 2002 Moots Vamoots and a 2004 Parlee Z1x. Love them both. I see you are in Morris County. I ride with the Morris Area Freewheelers.

Lorenz
03-04-2012, 07:32 AM
@veloduffer

what are those "collars" on top of the seat binders for?

cheers, lorenz

veloduffer
03-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Two great bikes. I ride a 2002 Moots Vamoots and a 2004 Parlee Z1x. Love them both. I see you are in Morris County. I ride with the Morris Area Freewheelers.

I'd be interested in your thoughts about the bikes. My Z4 and the Moots have similar geometries, but your Z1 would be custom. I only discovered Parlee about a year ago and was torn between that or a Crumpton.

I ride occasionally with the MAFW if the ride starts in Denville or Morristown (Loantaka). If you're near the Denville-Boonton area, you may want to join our small group of guys. We generally ride about 30 miles or so - about all the time we have between family stuff on weekends. :beer:

54ny77
03-04-2012, 07:47 AM
those are the giant rubber bands that come with the fizik seatpost. they're a pretty handy way of marking seat height, and de facto helps keeps gunk out of seat tube.

@veloduffer

cheers, lorenz

veloduffer
03-04-2012, 07:47 AM
@veloduffer

cheers, lorenz

The Fizik posts come with a little leather collar, which is handy to mark your seatpost height when you re-lube (or put new anti-seize) and keeps water out as well. It's a nice touch.

veloduffer
03-04-2012, 07:50 AM
I like your garage door

I actually have a white wood garage door but the bottom is always dirty from rain splash. So the fence looks "better". :beer:

veloduffer
03-04-2012, 07:51 AM
I might go to a zero/90 degree stem (Easton EA90) to eliminate 10mm of spacers. Do you think the (slightly) more upright stem would look silly?

nilbog
03-04-2012, 12:54 PM
lovely ageing on the fence! :banana:

Ti-Boy
03-04-2012, 02:45 PM
I'd be interested in your thoughts about the bikes. My Z4 and the Moots have similar geometries, but your Z1 would be custom. I only discovered Parlee about a year ago and was torn between that or a Crumpton.

I ride occasionally with the MAFW if the ride starts in Denville or Morristown (Loantaka). If you're near the Denville-Boonton area, you may want to join our small group of guys. We generally ride about 30 miles or so - about all the time we have between family stuff on weekends. :beer:

My Vamoots is a 56. I had a professional fit with Craig Upton on the Moots prior to the Parlee order. Craig and I worked with Parlee for the custom geometry. The Z1x has a 54 c-c down tube and a 56.5 c-c top tube. Other than that we altered the down tube angle slightly and added some to the head tube. On paper and with a tape measure all my contact points are identical. Side by side the bikes look very different. Love my Moots (also have a Moots Smoothie mountain bike), but the Parlee is my go to bike.

I rarely ride out of Denville, but I will often do the rides out of Loantaka. I usually do the MAFW B+ rides. One of our weekend regulars is a Denville guy. I'm in northern Hunterdon County near Clinton.

Keith A
03-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I might go to a zero/90 degree stem (Easton EA90) to eliminate 10mm of spacers. Do you think the (slightly) more upright stem would look silly?I personally would leave the current stems that you have as I like how they line up (parallel) with the angle of the top tubes...just my 2 cents.

zachary
03-05-2012, 03:47 PM
^Disagree. I would always go with rise in the stem over stack height. Maybe it's the trackie in me. It'll be siffer and losing spacers always feels good :beer:

veloduffer
03-05-2012, 09:04 PM
I personally would leave the current stems that you have as I like how they line up (parallel) with the angle of the top tubes...just my 2 cents.

I am going to check out how it would look before cutting the steerer. I think that the slight change in stem angle (from -6 to zero) won't make much difference in the aesthetics, particularly with the fairly steep sloping top tubes.

Maybe I post some side by side pictures and take a poll. :D

WillT.
03-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Wow, that Parlee looks very classy! Just the right amount of red highlighting with the spoke nipples and 3T stem.

yeaitsdave
04-26-2012, 08:52 AM
great looking bikes, parlee holds a soft spot in my heart and moots is always killer.

leave the stems the way they are, a negative stem in a higher position looks cleaner, i hate a positive rise on any bike, just looks sloppy.

christian
04-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Wow, the Moots is absolutely gorgeous! Love it!

wgp
05-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Love your rides - we think alike, as my two rides are Parlee Z3 and Moots Vamoots.

KALEL41
05-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Two of my favorite bikes. Although I own a Vamoots myself, I must say that the all black Parlee looks great...

nismosr
05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
The Moots looks great .. what's the ST measurement ?

jonjones13
05-22-2012, 06:28 AM
Not far off what I would have as a due (if funds permitted!)

good skills

veloduffer
05-22-2012, 10:45 AM
The Moots looks great .. what's the ST measurement ?

It's supposed to be stock 56cm, so the ST is 52cm and effective TT is 56.3.

dpmackey
05-28-2012, 03:14 PM
nice bikes - both are on my list ...

bluesea
05-28-2012, 04:55 PM
I personally would leave the current stems that you have as I like how they line up (parallel) with the angle of the top tubes...just my 2 cents.

Looks like 0 will be closer to parallel, although I'm not sure the angle will mesh well with roadie fashion sense. The bikes will look killer either way.

soulspinner
05-29-2012, 04:31 AM

I agree. I always hated spacers but now have 30mm under plastic bikes stem. It feels fine and looks ok, even though my Strong only has 5mm. Your bikes look great. Ride em with pride.

veloduffer
05-29-2012, 07:19 AM
I agree. I always hated spacers but now have 30mm under plastic bikes stem. It feels fine and looks ok, even though my Strong only has 5mm. Your bikes look great. Ride em with pride.

Thanks. I've become accustomed to the spacer look as I see even many the rides of many top riders sporting that look. It took me a while to get used to sloping top tubes too, but now I like the look.

nismosr
09-04-2012, 01:16 PM
both great bikes .. which one do you prefer on long hilly rides ?

don'TreadOnMe
09-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Most of the new Colnagos @ shows have 0/90 degree stems.
Also, the FSA one piece bar/stem combos have essentially 0 degree stems.

See if you could borrow one...

@ the end of the day though, riding bikes is still more fun than looking @ them, and you'll get faster as a side benefit.
:-)

Great bikes man, seriously...you lucky dawg. Thanks for sharing!

veloduffer
09-04-2012, 10:29 PM
both great bikes .. which one do you prefer on long hilly rides ?

I had not really thought about it until your question. I prefer the Parlee - it feels feather light, like you don't have a bike underneath you, and very responsive to accelerations/attacks. Both handle well and feel confident on 40+ mph twisting descents.

reggiebaseball
09-06-2012, 10:17 AM
So when do you prefer the Moots?

veloduffer
09-07-2012, 08:58 AM
So when do you prefer the Moots?

We have routes that have lots of long hills (1.5 mile - 3 miles) to which I prefer the Parlee, and also lots of rollers. I ride like a rouleur/classics type rider - can set tempo for long stretches and can use power to ride through rollers and rough roads (gravel, hardpack). I struggle on those long climbs and just keep my own tempo; attacking puts me in the red zone too early. A couple of the guys I ride with are my height (5'11") but weigh 25 lbs less than me (them 150, me 175 or so) and they float up those long hills.

Quite honestly, I just rotate my riding through my 3 primary bikes - Parlee, Ottrott and Moots - no matter what the terrain. I ride with some local guys on fast group rides but we're not racing so performance doesn't really matter (we wait up on the hills).

I also use the Moots if rain is a possibility on the ride. I use the Ottrott and Moots if I participate in any big group rides - don't want to crash the carbon fiber Parlee. :rolleyes:

reggiebaseball
09-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I have a Moots compact and debate a Parlee.

FYI- the Moots is designed (I am pretty sure) for a fork with axle to crown of 371 (like Alpha q or reynold Ouzo). When you use an enve fork (367) it makes the effective head angle steeper, which makes steering quicker.

Personally I find my Moots a bit twitchy, so I had installed a 5mm lower crown race, which brings the bike more in line with the geometry the designers intended.

gioscinelli
09-13-2012, 12:53 PM
That Moots is one gorgeous road bike, like the TIG welding nice and smooth. Good choice in components(when campy breaks in, others break down;)). Now the big question, how do they compare!

nismosr
09-13-2012, 01:38 PM
I had not really thought about it until your question. I prefer the Parlee - it feels feather light, like you don't have a bike underneath you, and very responsive to accelerations/attacks. Both handle well and feel confident on 40+ mph twisting descents.

guess thats the main advantage of lightweight carbon frame, I just noticed you are from Morris County, I'm from Middlesex County and I sometimes ride with a group of guys from Union, pass thru millburn to bernadsville, stirling and back to union.

veloduffer
09-17-2012, 10:56 AM
guess thats the main advantage of lightweight carbon frame, I just noticed you are from Morris County, I'm from Middlesex County and I sometimes ride with a group of guys from Union, pass thru millburn to bernadsville, stirling and back to union.

We ride through those areas as well, including Peapack, Far Hills and Liberty Corner. Most of the time we ride north in Kinnelon, Boonton Township, West Milford and Piccatinny.

Occasionally I will ride with the Bicycle Touring Club of NJ and their rides through Millburn.

Drop me a PM if you ever want to get together.

veloduffer
09-17-2012, 11:11 AM
That Moots is one gorgeous road bike, like the TIG welding nice and smooth. Good choice in components(when campy breaks in, others break down;)). Now the big question, how do they compare!

Hmmm...the Parlee is so light and stiff that it feels like you accelerate instantly without any lag - just step on it and go. It's subjective but it was the main characteristic that I wanted from the Parlee when I was shopping for a carbon bike. I test rode it and a Z5 in Hastings on the Hudson, which has short steep hills that lend themselves to out-of-saddle climbing. The bike handles well on descents and rough roads feel muted beneath you. I bought the Z4 because I couldn't tell the difference between it and the Z5, and the Z4 was less expensive.

The Moots feels solid. It is 2lbs heavier than the Parlee (17 lbs vs 15 lbs even though the Parlee is a larger frame). IMHO, I liken it to a Classics type bike (Paris Roubaix, Tour of Flanders) that can handle winds, rain, cobble, and gravel. It's a bike that I like to ride on rolling terrain where you ride tempo all day. The bike is stable and can handle twisting descents with ease.

Of course, this is all subjective. But I do try to set up my bikes to be the same fit and similar in components. The Parlee has a light wheelset (Stans Alpha 340 with Alchemy hubs at 1325 grams) while the Moots is currently sporting Campy Shamals (1410 grams). Both have the same bars (Zipp), seatposts, saddles and Campy drivetrains - even bar tape!

It's nice to have a bit of variety and a lot cheaper than collecting cars. :banana:

tms101
10-05-2012, 11:41 PM
That is a sweet Moots!