PDA

View Full Version : Is there really a market for handbuilt utility bikes?

Fishbike
03-03-2012, 08:55 AM
I have been devouring the early photos from NAHBS. It seems so many of the exemplars this year are utility, cruiser, multi-purpose bikes, etc. There are not that many traditional (whatever that is) road bikes and MTBs. I understand that one purpose of NAHBS is to test the limits of design, function and a builder's craft and creativity. But what is the market for these high-end practical bikes? Aside from a rando bike, do people really spend thousands of dollars for an upright bike to haul stuff around? Are the bikes show at NAHBS one-offs or do the builders expect to build many more of them?

rugbysecondrow
03-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Sure, why not. If I had a need for one, why not go custom.

Why commute/work/haul on a crappy uncomfortable bike when you can spend your time on a custom frame? Its only money. :)

lilcphoto
03-03-2012, 10:40 AM
my own two cents: If someone wants a more traditional bike they are just going to buy one off the shelf. More people are getting interested in a bike as a means of transportation outside of a car. I know I never thought of having a commuter, but I love having racks and fenders and panniers to haul groceries. If I could afford a cargo bike (as well as the space it takes up) I'd have one in a heartbeat.

It is the intriguing idea's that builders are coming up with to supplement the use of a car more so than a good looking road bike. It's hard to reinvent the wheel, but when your dealing with utility, anythings possible!

EricEstlund
03-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Many of the bikes I sell have at least some nod to daily utility (some more so then others).

Walking around the show I would say that traditional bike categories are also really well represented. There should be something for everyone there.

Fixed
03-03-2012, 11:02 AM
for a builder a cargo bike may offer some creative options not found in in everyday builds .
cheers :beer:

jr59
03-03-2012, 11:10 AM
It's a little different when you really use a bike, instead of a car. All of the time, because I am 95% car free!

For me, I'm thinking about getting one made.

I love road and cross bikes. Even some touring types, but getting a bike built to do excatly what you need it to do. Yea it has it's place.

I think the question is; Is there a market for utility bikes?

palincss
03-03-2012, 11:46 AM
I think the question is; Is there a market for utility bikes?

Sure. Surly has one in the line up (the Big Dummy) so you can be sure there's more to the market than a handful of folks who live in Portland OR.

tannhauser
03-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I'd say there is a small market within the already small market of handbuilt bikes for these.

bikemoore
03-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I think the market for hand-built city bikes is the same as for any other handbuilt bike...bike fans with money. Problem today is that many of us folks who like hand-built bikes already have a hand-built road bike and aren't really in the market for another. So....these same builders try to get us to pry open our wallet for something we don't have. Once we have hand-built city bikes AND hand-built crossers AND hand-built commuters AND hand-built MTB....they'll have to find something else to build. I was joking with a colleague as he was eyeing one of those balloon-tire sand bikes that the real purpose of the bike is to invent a new niche. Our lust will get to the point where we just have to have one because we don't already have and our garage is already full of at least one of every other niche already.

jr59
03-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Sure. Surly has one in the line up (the Big Dummy) so you can be sure there's more to the market than a handful of folks who live in Portland OR.

A lot of people have a cargo bike in their line up.
Surly
Trek
Kona
Cetma
Madsen
Sun
Yuba

That does not make a market.

I think as gas prices rise and people look for different way to cut that cost, I hope cargo bikes become more main stream.

Although, I do agree with the poster, in so far as, these guys need to find a different market. Something else to sell us.

Me, I have a use for it, as I do live car free.

You can check the Oregon manifest for a lot of these;
http://oregonmanifest.com/constructors/

palincss
03-03-2012, 12:28 PM
A lot of people have a cargo bike in their line up.
Surly
Trek
Kona
Cetma
Madsen
Sun
Yuba

That does not make a market.

Doesn't it? I'm pretty sure that those bikes -- along with the long-tails I've occasionally seen on the road -- actually exist, are not just photos in the catalog, and some people actually have bought them. If that's happening in large enough numbers to have Surly, Trek etc. in the game, I'd call that "a market."

Now that's not to say they're selling in the same numbers as Madones, or that you can find them at your local bike shop. But then, there are lots of nice bikes featured here that you won't find at your local bike shop.

G-Reg
03-03-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm happy to see more diversity. How many level top tube, drop handle bar bikes do you need to look at before you feel you have seen them all.

Seems to be more monster crosses than ever and I'm digging it.