PDA

View Full Version : Cracked cr1

AgilisMerlin
03-03-2012, 07:54 AM
I picked up a good friends Scott last night. It would be a good project to do a tune - cables/housing, grease, true project to get me through this crap weather.

Whole bike covered in grease and grit. Frozen cables, dura ace 7800, puffy white oxidation, rusty frozen bolts, frozen external cups

Going to return it today. Not going to have to string any new hardware. I probably will just turn my hands black, score some tools, and cut myself a few odd times stripping it complete.

Probable delamination crack bottom of chainstay, and 1/3 up non drive side seat stay creak crack on inside, half tube. And about inch down 1/4 crack starting to crack outside. Delamination dots everywhere and surrounding all guides pinhole delam, oxidation everywhere.

He has two backups. An ancient rusted to the trainer d ace 8 pink to orange serotta and a Ti dura ace 9 serrotta bike. Both bikes hammered, neglected, weather worn.

Gotta make the phone call this morning

Not a fan of carbon, just a thought

Black Dog
03-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Sounds like serious neglect. Not a fan of neglect.

firerescuefin
03-03-2012, 10:16 AM
^^^^ :) :beer:

bobswire
03-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Yep, I would seriously give him a piece of my mind if he was a friend on mine.
My son is the same way and I'm always getting on him to upkeep his bike so he drops it off and I do it. :crap:

AgilisMerlin
03-03-2012, 11:25 AM
I am not calling into question the upkeep, I am ok with it. It is depressing thinking about the material and its longevity.

just bums me out.

GregL
03-03-2012, 11:31 AM
There's nothing wrong with carbon as a material. It's all in the design and execution. Any frame material, used without a robust design and thoughful execution, will fail prematurely.

- Greg

ultraman6970
03-03-2012, 11:47 AM
There is a problem with the owner IMO.

Some guys after 6 months have their bikes all f..ed up, other ones after 20 years the bikes are still the same.

Carbon is not a bad material but if the guy tossed the bike like if it was a wrench and did not care about it, obviously something was going to happen to it.

Good luck talking to him hehehe :D

Bob Loblaw
03-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Write it out in detail and tell him straight. And write out how to prevent it from happening. Sounds like he rides the shizzle out of his equipment. That is a good thing. He just needs to get better at the TLC part.

BL

AgilisMerlin
03-03-2012, 09:07 PM
The truth shall set him free

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Stripes3.gif

cfox
03-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Scotts are super light weight frames, right? To me, most monocoque carbon with paper thin tubes are one crash away from the garbage pile. I had a carbon pinarello for a while and it was scary to tap on the tubes.