PDA

View Full Version : Columbus tube question

stephenmarklay
03-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Picked up a new frame and I the kind of expected the Columbus sticker to indicate SL which is what I believe the frame to be. However, it does not.

Any ideas or experience with this?

zmudshark
03-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Most likely SL.

Early decals did not designate a tube type. Size dictated the tubing (SL or SP).

Peter P.
03-02-2012, 08:23 PM
zmudshark is right.

Your frame is either SL or SP. I believe an SP frame (or at least the seat tube) would require a 27.0 seatpost due to the thicker tubing walls. That's one way to tell the difference, assuming the builder used a complete SP tube set.

stephenmarklay
03-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys. I tried a 27.0 I had and it had a bit of wiggle. I have to get a 27.2

No biggie, I just figured it would say SL but I really have little experience in that regard.

I bought it as a Colnago Super and I am sure it is but hey I have no clue how one actually knows if it is a super or whatever.

Pretty neat anyway.

zmudshark
03-02-2012, 10:11 PM
I have a Colnago Super timeline put together by the CR list. It's too big to post here, but if you really want to know, PM me your email, and I'll send it to you. It ends in the early 80's, so it may/may not be of use to you.

stien
03-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Does SP have rifling in the tubes? I know my full SL bike has no rifling in any tubes except for the steerer tube. Might as well check.

stephenmarklay
03-03-2012, 07:37 AM
I did a little checking around and found that sticker on the classic rendezvous site. It said it was common in the 80's.

I guess not knowing if the sticker was what it should be made me wonder if the bike was what it should be or at least what the seller thought it was.

This bike is painted team Buckler which dates it to around the 1990-1992 time frame. It as internal top tube cable routing but a 126 rear spacing. That mix seems to mesh with dates too. The end of the head tube is rifled and the fork is stamped with the columbus dove. The BB has the cut out clover too.

I guess had seen so many Columbus SL stickers on the web I thought it would have it. However, everything seems to be correct best I can tell.

I am just not that schooled in such things.

Thanks guys.

oliver1850
03-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Does SP have rifling in the tubes? I know my full SL bike has no rifling in any tubes except for the steerer tube. Might as well check.

No, SP has thicker walls but no rifling.

..........ST..............DT..............TT...... ...Fork......CS........SS

SL...(.6/.9).....(.9/.6/.9)...(.9/.6/.9).....(.9)......(.8)......(.7)

SP...(.7/1)......(1/.7/1)......(1/.7/1)....(1.05)....(1).......(1)

Louis
03-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Stephen, I hope this doesn't sound flippant, but if you like the ride, then it really doesn't matter what the sticker says. And if you don't like the ride... I think you can tell where I'm going with this.

Enjoy the new bike. :bike:

Louis

stephenmarklay
03-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Stephen, I hope this doesn't sound flippant, but if you like the ride, then it really doesn't matter what the sticker says. And if you don't like the ride... I think you can tell where I'm going with this.

Enjoy the new bike. :bike:

Louis

I totally agree. SL is not state of the art! The biggest reason to know is that if I resell the bike at some point, I don't want to pass on misinformation.

I just polished the snot out of it and its purty :)

Edit: That is really great advice. I think your can build up a bike that rides like a million bucks but costs $500. I think I will try that next.