PDA

View Full Version : S&S retrofit of Merlin

thenewguy11
03-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I've decided to get my Merilin Agilis retrofit with the S&S couplers. The almost unanimous choice seems to be Bilenky from what I could find, but I was curious if anyone had experience with builders doing this closer to the Denver area?

fiamme red
03-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Zinn does S & S retrofits.

97CSI
03-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Interesting. I assume your Merlin is a Ti frame? I spoke to Spectrum today and they will not retrofit S&S couplers in Ti frames. I was told that the problem is trying to match the various types of Ti used and chance that residual stresses in Ti framesets can cause a real problem.

Just looked up Zinn to see what he says about Ti, but he doesn't list a phone number. Guess he doesn't want to answer questions. Did call Bilenky just now and he quoted $800 for Ti S&S couplers installed and $550 for steel.

AngryScientist
03-02-2012, 04:19 PM
my frame is at Bilinkey now getting retrofitted. these guys wrote the book on it, and I would trust them with any job of this nature. add to that - whenever i call there, the phone is anwered on the first ring, and someone is always happy/enthusiastic to talk to me about technical questions. send it down that way.

thenewguy11
03-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Interesting. I assume your Merlin is a Ti frame? I spoke to Spectrum today and they will not retrofit S&S couplers in Ti frames. I was told that they problem is trying to match the various types of Ti used and chance that residual stresses in Ti framesets can cause a real problem.

It is a Ti frame. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure a retrofit is do-able.

97CSI
03-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Bilenky says 'no problem' and, like AS, think he knows his stuff. He is looking at my TT now to see if it is too ovalized to make the mod. Hope it works.

gpl916
03-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I have been trying to get a hold of Davidson in Seattle to check on a retro of my Legend Ti or maybe the Merlin. Phone tag.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Zinn does S & S retrofits.

Pretty sure that would Mark Nobilette actually doin' the job.

yakstone
03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Take it to the guy known for quality, pay his price and be comfortable that the job will be done right.

572cv
03-02-2012, 09:56 PM
...a Serotta Fierte, with beautiful welds, considerable thought, and a remarkably successful result. No worries, no qualms.