PDA

View Full Version : Mt Washington Ride Report: Ouch

Climb01742
08-21-2005, 05:58 PM
My plan was: 1:15 or bust.

It was bust.

In the valley at 4 AM it was clear and warm. Ate a bowl of brown rice, my “power” food. Three cups of tea to caffeinate the body.

Drove from small town of Jackson, NH (a great little town, BTW) to mountain at 5:15. Arrived at start area at 5:30, with loads of cars already there. As the sun came up near 6 o’clock, sky looked promising. Warm and no wind.

Started my warm-up on the trainer at 6:30 on a separate bike with normal gearing so I could get the legs good and warm. Had a great warm-up. Felt ready. Some nerves but ok. Saw Tyler warming up under a tent reserved, it seemed, for the top guys.

We went off in waves. They seemed to combine the 35-45 and 45+ waves because what seemed like 200 riders went off at once. I was in the middle of the pack. You roll across a parking lot for about 100-150 yards, then boom. Up. Really up.

Here are the gradients by Km:
0-1k: 12.5%
1-2k: 11.4%
2-3k: 12.5%
3-4k: 14.9%
4-5k: 13.0%
5-6k: 12.4%
6-7k: 15.0%
7-8k: 12.2%
8-9k: 12.5%
9-10k: 13.1%
10-11k: 10.5%
11-11.3k: 13.0%
Final section: 22%

For the first mile, imagine riding a bike on a NYC subway train at rush hour. The road is barely two cars wide. People of all speeds are crammed into a small area. The road is a 12% grade. If you put your foot down, you won’t ever get started again. People are weaving, chains are snapping. It surprised me. The only mass start events I’ve done are road running and triathlons, where you can – figuratively – tread water at the start to find some clear water or road. At 12%, you can’t. As you’ll see, my race is a virtual catalog of dumb, rookie mistakes born out of inexperience. I guess I should have just chilled. I didn’t. Up ahead I saw pockets of clear road. I climbed for them. And I kept climbing for them. On your right, on your left. My plan was to never let my speed dip below 6 mph. I felt great. It was hard but effortless at the same time, if you can understand that. When I saw a gap, a bit of clear road, I accelerated. Glancing down, there were times when I hit 9 mph, other times 7 mph. My heart rate was 172-175. There were no mile markers, at least none that I could see. The first half or so of the race is in the trees. A saving grace as it turns out. A woman from the side of the road shouted out, halfway, keep going. I looked down at my watch. 36 minutes. I had wanted to attack the course, to race it. Not play it safe. I was passing people, quite a few people, which should have set off alarm bells I now realize, but at the time, it stoked me. As long as we were in the trees, it was good. Then we came out of the trees. It became a different race. I learned a weather fact on MW: any wind above 39 mph is considered gale force. My speed dropped. 5 mph. No, I said to myself, not below 6. I got out of the saddle and pushed. A guy’s wheel that I had vowed to follow for awhile slowed down. He was being smart. I saw my speed dip below 6 again. I pushed harder. The wind seemed to come from all directions. The road on MW never relents. There were two stretches I remember that were sorta flat. Even when you found 10 yards of less steep road, you rejoiced. It became… just to the next corner, then to the next, hoping to see another flat stretch. The clouds and mist started to close in. The wind had some wicked gusts. More chains were snapping. People were stopping. But on this road, how do you start again at 14%? Then the dirt and gravel road came. I looked down at my speed: 5, then 4, then I tried to push it back to 5. My body was going. My willpower was going. Then a gust of wind smacked me and I was over, on the ground, on my left side. It took me a while to figure out what happened. The wind had knocked me over. I don’t know how long after the dirt started I got knocked over. I was in a daze on the bike by then. I was just turning the cranks over the best I could. Two roadside spectators helped me back on the bike, held me up as I clipped in, and pushed me to get me going again. Other folks were getting blown over too. People were stopped on the road. Trying to figure out how to get started again. If there wasn’t a spectator near you, you were out of luck. I rode for awhile. How long I’m not sure. The misty clouds were socking us in pretty good. While watching the Tour, I’ve often heard Phil and Paul talk about how, when a rider cracks in the mountains, they crack big time. Before yesterday I understood that only intellectually. The wind was breaking my will. The mountain was breaking my body. I can’t tell you exactly how much farther I rode. Every turn of the cranks seemed to take all the energy I had. Once I realized that 1:15 was long gone, the gas went out of me. When you set a goal like 1:15 or bust, you never prepare yourself for the “bust”. When it hits you, it hits you hard. I knew one of two things would happen soon: the wind would blow me over again or I’d just fall over. Up ahead, a woman was passing a rider on his outside, right shoulder. He was weaving, tired, he didn’t seem to know she was there. He swerved right. She inched right. A foot to her right was the edge of the road and a sheer drop. She yelled. Thankfully he heard and turned sharply left. The wind, the mist, the cold, the mountain were doing tough things to people. Then I blew. Shattered. Tank empty. I unclipped my right cleat and barely got my foot down. I guy passing me asked, you ok? You’re bleeding. I looked at my left elbow and forearm. From where the wind had blown me over, there was a cut. I had no clue. I don’t know where on the mountain I was. I waited a while (maybe a few minutes? I don’t know) trying to get myself together for one more try at riding. A spectator helped me. I went a bit farther. But there just wasn’t anything left. I stopped. I started walking. Up. After a while, I took my shoes off. My bike computer said 2.9 mph. About what I’d been pedaling toward the end. I walked a long while. A photographer took a picture of me walking my bike. I wish he hadn’t. I actually thought about what I’d tell you guys. My most constant thought though was, ok, I failed, but I’m not going to quit. One way or another, I’m getting to the top. I was dripping wet now. It was raining pretty hard. The wind was blowing hard too. Riders where huffing and puffing as they passed me. The road simply went up into a thick cloud. Visibility was 10 feet. As I passed spectators, I asked them how far to the top. About 4, at different times, said 100 yards, trying to encourage me. A tip: please don’t lie to someone at that moment. It’s hard to go 100 yards and then see only more road and more clouds. Finally I heard the top. I couldn’t see it. I still have no idea what the top of MW looks like. I heard lots of people clapping, cheering. I heard music. I heard a PA announcer. The last section is 22%. I could barely walk it. How people rode it is amazing to me. It was nearly zero visibility up there. A very very nice volunteer handed me a blanket, took my bike, and S.O. Climb hugged me.

I made every mistake in the book. It was all new to me. Which may have been one of my two biggest mistakes. I didn’t know what to expect on MW. But I’m not sure you can know until you see it. That is one f*cking relentless mountain. But I should have ridden it before, or Ascutney, or something, to get an idea of what pace I could realistically hold. I took a calculated risk that spending weekends with my daughter was ultimately more important than riding mountains. It is more important, but riding big mountains would have helped, and helped a lot. My biggest mistake, though, was trying to ride the mountain on my terms, instead of on its terms. My ego wanted a fast time. Ego is such a double-edged sword. Without, you don’t dare. But sometimes with it, you do stupid things. The mountain, the weather, my own inexperience should have told me to back off some. But I’m stubborn. I wanted to attack the mountain. I didn’t want to play it safe. Crashing and burning was preferable. Yes, it was stupid. And I feel pretty sh*tty right now. I tell my daughter that trying is what counts. That living like an athlete is what makes an athlete, risking makes an athlete, getting in the game makes an athlete. For myself, that’s a lesson I only talk about. I don’t take it to heart. I wish I did, but I don’t. I really dug the 6 month journey to that mountain. Lord knows, I could be smarter the next time, ‘cause I can’t be any dumber. For about 4 or 5 miles, I felt great. Thing is, it isn’t a 4 or 5 mile race. Thank you, S.O. Climb. Without you, I’d never have gotten near that mountain, and never would have gotten down off it.

Will I do it again? Ask in a while. Not today. And finally, thank you all for your encouragement and community we have here. You helped get me there, too. Thanks.

e-RICHIE
08-21-2005, 06:08 PM
you did it - that's what seperates you from
all of us reading the results and your overview.
no matter how you faired, you did it.
kudos to you for fulfilling your quest.

Chief
08-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Great report. For what's worth, you have my respect. It is better to have tried and ..... Remember there is always tomorrow. Great job!!!

93legendti
08-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself. Many would not have even tried riding the mountain...

That being said, the key will be taking your experience and making a postitive out of it. You can learn more from a bad ride, than you can from a good ride. You were a optimist. Next time you'll be a realist, which is an optimist with experience. :)

Congratulations for trying. You have nothing to be ashamed about.

BTW, What was your gearing? How did it work out for you? Would you go lower next time?

Tom Byrnes
08-21-2005, 06:20 PM
What e-richie said.

Kevan
08-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Climb, you are remarkable, and then sharing in this excellent narrative, your personal struggles in this competition, actually put us all on that mountainside watching and cheering for you. We all were there in spirit helping you back on your bike and giving you a hearty push for the top. Thank you sir, for racing this race and taking the time and interest to share your exploits with us.

Not to worry... your pride will soon take over.

Roy E. Munson
08-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Well, you'll never be accused of not having any fight in you. For your first mass start bike race, you picked a doozie and made it! Good job.

Now what are we going to follow on this forum?

Climb01742
08-21-2005, 06:23 PM
BTW, What was your gearing? How did it work out for you? Would you go lower next time?

i used a compact crank with a 33 and a 12-34 cassette. i was on the 33-30 95% of the climb. wanted to save the 34 for when things got grim. the last 5% was grim, so on the 34. yes, next time i'd use somethign smaller, a single MTB chainring up front, like a 24 or something that begins with a "2". but in all honesty, for all the equipment obsessing i do, on that mountain, it's the engine. the engine blew, not the gears or the bike, which was, BTW, great. the cckmp felt wonderful.

NicaDog
08-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Climb

What e-richie said in spades! Hey, you have a personal best on MW - not many of us can say that. Given what you put into this, and your goals, my bet is you go back and do much better next time.

Congratulations for just showing up. :banana:

David

csb
08-21-2005, 06:29 PM
respect.

http://www.bumpernuts.com/flesh.jpg

slowgoing
08-21-2005, 06:40 PM
My hat goes off to you, Climb. Great report too!

And you really did leave a piece of yourself on that mountain, blood and all. Who else can say that?

As an aside, what's the solution to the inability to clip back in if you get blown off the bike? Platform pedals (ugh!)?

Climb01742
08-21-2005, 06:47 PM
As an aside, what's the solution to the inability to clip back in if you get blown off the bike? Platform pedals (ugh!)?

i honestly don't know. the woman who won got blown off too and it took her 5 minutes to get restarted. it's the grade that's the challenge. without help, i don't see how to do it.

rePhil
08-21-2005, 06:49 PM
I admire not only your personal victory but also your honesty. Thats one tough mountain!

Spinsistah
08-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Great job, Climb. You finished, you didn't quit - in my book, you WON. Big hug!

e-RICHIE
08-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Climb-issimo
enuf with the heroics.
cross season starts in 3 weeks. all that fitness
will carry you over. c'mon out and join roy and me.

Roy E. Munson
08-21-2005, 07:05 PM
I'll second that invite!!

Len J
08-21-2005, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=Climb01742]It became… just to the next corner, then to the next, hoping to see another flat stretch.

While watching the Tour, I’ve often heard Phil and Paul talk about how, when a rider cracks in the mountains, they crack big time. Before yesterday I understood that only intellectually.

I made every mistake in the book. It was all new to me. Which may have been one of my two biggest mistakes. I didn’t know what to expect on MW. But I’m not sure you can know until you see it. That is one f*cking relentless mountain. But I should have ridden it before, or Ascutney, or something, to get an idea of what pace I could realistically hold.

I took a calculated risk that spending weekends with my daughter was ultimately more important than riding mountains. It is more important,

My ego wanted a fast time. Ego is such a double-edged sword. Without, you don’t dare. But sometimes with it, you do stupid things.

I didn’t want to play it safe.

I tell my daughter that trying is what counts. That living like an athlete is what makes an athlete, risking makes an athlete, getting in the game makes an athlete. For myself, that’s a lesson I only talk about. I don’t take it to heart.

[QUOTE]

I'm sitting here on my butt, proud of you....even if you aren't (yet). You never know your limits without exceeding them.

I know you're disappointed now, but give yourself a break....you said you didn't want to leave anything on the mountain, and you didn't.

Good for you.

Len

William
08-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Climb, I applaud your effort. Bravo!!

A well know quote comes to mind here:

“It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
~ Teddy Roosevelt

Not meant to infer that there was failure, but that you dared greatly, and that is high achievement.

William

Redturbo
08-21-2005, 07:37 PM
WOW great job climb.
Did you notice how a great bike just disappears beneath you during an event like that?

turbo

Bradford
08-21-2005, 07:37 PM
You have my respect and admiration.

Quiting would have been sitting down, you kept going. It doesn't matter if you rode, walked, or crawled, you kept going.

Next year at open house, the first beer is on me. :banana:

Kevin
08-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Climb,

You are the man. You finished. At next year's Open House, the first round is on me in recognition of your outstanding accomplishment. Great job.

Kevin

davep
08-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Great job, Climb! Absolutely awesome.

What other race could you say you finished with an average time only 5mph less than Tyler Hamilton?

:beer:

tch
08-21-2005, 07:56 PM
You are a stand-up guy -- for committing yourself as thoroughly as you did to this one goal, for sharing all your motivations and inner demons before you did it, for being so open and humble in this post --- AND, for doing it. Whether it was exactly as you had hoped for or not, you set yourself a difficult goal and carried through. Whatever happened on MW, I am convinced you gave your best at the moment. If you learned some things that might be helpful should you go back, that's extra.

You have my respect. Nice work.

soulspinner
08-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Ride it till you make 1:15. You got time. Never ever ever give up. Winston Churchill, I think....and many other successful people. You did great.

ric426
08-21-2005, 08:01 PM
All I can say is WOW!!!

Be proud, you deserve it.

Ray
08-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Having barely made it up similarly steep climbs that were 1/3 to 1/2 the length of that one, I can only imagine what Mt. Washington would do to you. If it helps you feel any better, I read an account from a guy who's done the ride 11 times and finished just a few minutes ahead of you. He indicated that the wind this year made it the most difficult of any of the times he's ridden it. He also got blown over a couple of times. Between his account and yours, it sounds absolutely brutal.

Congratulations on a great effort!

-Ray

Smiley
08-21-2005, 08:06 PM
As a sailor I can tell you that sometimes mother nature and the elements get the better of you . I can't tell you how many times I have respected the elements and reefed and found safe harbor . You never quit , you'll be better prepared next time to take on mother nature . Great job Mr Climb . We have lived the fantasy through you , your our hero today :banana:

Big Dan
08-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Great job Climb....

I told you....MXL.....the anchor.........laugh at the wind........... :D

sc53
08-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Climb, you made a fantastic effort and you should be proud. I cannot imagine a wind so strong that it blows me over on my bike! I"ve never encountered something like that. And then to think of getting back up and getting back on the bike and starting that mightly UPHILL again. . . . Wow. Great ride report, and very humble, as others have said. Your effort, and all the months of training for it, are also very humbling. I don't have the courage to push myself as you have. Congratulations!

Dr. Doofus
08-21-2005, 08:47 PM
you are a stud, J.O.-Climb-O!

doof would rather do three crits a week for the rest of his stupid life than even look at that mountain

you dreamed it

you trained for it

you did it

you rock

csb
08-21-2005, 08:56 PM
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/archdata/Gershwin_Collins/gonads_external.JPG

Ginger
08-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the report James and Congratulations on your ride!

Sandy
Your narrative of the climb was really exceptionally well done. It really did project vividly the difficulty of the ride and the emotional aspect. Wonderful reading.

Very few of us would even consider trying to do the climb. Less of us would have had the dedication and focus to prepare for it. Even less of us would try it. An exceeding small number of us would get to the top. You did and that is really a wonderful accomplishment. A job extremely well done. You undoubtedly have the respect and admiration of all of us for this accompishment.

Sandy

ergott
WELCOME TO THE CLUB :banana: :banana: Now, you can call it the "rockpile". If I didn't have the weather I did, I can't say that I would have finished like you did.

A word to anyone else who wants to sign up. Copy Climb's post and read it every night. You DO NOT FUC|< with the rockpile. She will win EVERY time.

Climb, you are in a special elite club. We might not be the fastest, but we are stupid enough say "hmm, that looks like a good idea. Maybe I should sign up!"

I promise you, here, in writing, you WILL do it again. It's like giving birth. Ask a woman, "When are you having your next kid?" right after childbirth and you'll get punched. Ask them when they see someone else's newborn and they get that glow in their eyes! I know I can't wait till I do it again. I just gotta get more miles in.

I'll see you at the top!

BumbleBeeDave
08-21-2005, 09:47 PM
. . . Not in my book. You were there. You tried. You gave it your very best. You made mistakes. You have learned from them. You are part of the elite for even entering and starting. You are in an even more exclusive elite for getting as far as you did. You have dared to do a great thing. It may not rank with solo skiing across Antarctica of climbing Everest without bottled oxygen, but for the 99.99% of the world who never dare great things, you are as far above them--and us--as the summit of Mt. Washington is above Great Glen.

He who dares, wins. Take stock of your achievement and be proud. Then analyse your mistakes, and keep daring until you win by charging across the finish line with the cheers of SO Climb ringing in your ears.

In the meantime, don’t be too disappointed. Those “This bike climbed Mt. Washington” bumper stickers are the same size as the automobile ones (They got a sweet deal from the printer) and they look real cheesy flapping from your seat stay. ;)

BBDave

Peter
08-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Epic! Truly epic.

Loved reading your report; thanks for sharing, warts and all.

P.S. You didn't fail, 'cause the only time you fail is the last time you try.

coylifut
08-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Climb, that was the best ride report I've read. I checked in a few times over the weekend, just because I wanted to see how it went. we were all rooting for you.

Take e-Ritchie and Munson up on his offer to show you the cross ropes. it's the one cycling discipline where your family can chear you on from the sidelines and then you can all enjoy a picinic while cheering on everyone else. Cycling was something "I" always did, until my wife and girls started going to the cross races. Now we all enjoy it

1centaur
08-21-2005, 10:18 PM
As I read your report Climb, I imagined all the people in Serotta land staring at the screen, shaking their heads and thinking Wow!

How many of us do something like that?

You created a memory for a lifetime, a story for your children and grandchildren. Well done, well ridden and well written.

Jeff N.
08-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Gimme five, Climb! Jeff N.

Dekonick
08-21-2005, 10:29 PM
Got a new nickname for ya

Lazarus -

Because it sounded like you were dead, but somehow came back to life to finish.

An awesome, sinister mountain. You beat it!

Grats.

BTW - next year, at open house, :banana: :beer: the first round of beer is on Kevin!

RABikes2
08-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Your narrative of the climb was really exceptionally well done. It really did project vividly the difficulty of the ride and the emotional aspect. Wonderful reading.

Very few of us would even consider trying to do the climb. Less of us would have had the dedication and focus to prepare for it. Even less of us would try it. An exceeding small number of us would get to the top. You did and that is really a wonderful accomplishment. A job extremely well done. You undoubtedly have the respect and admiration of all of us for this accompishment.

Sandy
I second what Sandy says!

BRAVO! :banana: BRAVO! :banana: BRAVO! :banana:

Thank you for the fabulous ride report, Climb, it made me feel like I was on the mountain living the MW experience with you. James, you didn't quit...you continued and finished. You gave it your best...you learned. And the months of training, focusing, and the sharing of your personal thoughts was amazing. You did something that many of us could only dream of doing. Thanks for taking us along on your epic ride!

CONGRATULATIONS!

RA

Louis
08-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Climb,

Thanks for sharing. That was a tremendous accomplishment, however you look at it.

Congrats.

Louis

Serpico
08-21-2005, 11:31 PM
badass

:beer:

congrats

jel
08-22-2005, 12:32 AM
I'll come out of lurker mode to say congratulations! Awesome!

flyingscot
08-22-2005, 01:16 AM
Climb - I found myself on Saturday on my normal ride around London, thinking of you on that cruel mountain
Given the time difference I did not know when you started
I then came home to see if anyone had posted your time yet

Quite strange behavious given we have never met !

That says a number of things
1) I am very sad
2) Your challenge captured the imagination of us all

So Climb, I offer you my most sincere congratulations

WELL DONE !

Andreu
08-22-2005, 02:34 AM
You are stronger after this. Believe me, you will do (have done) a lot of soul searching and analysis......most of it will be navel gazing but you will have learnt 3 or 4 really important things and you will be stronger - mentally and physically. Now get on your bike again!
Congratulations.
A :beer: :beer:

shinomaster
08-22-2005, 02:45 AM
Climb-issimo
enuf with the heroics.
cross season starts in 3 weeks. all that fitness
will carry you over. c'mon out and join roy and me.

three weeks???!! Oh ****......

The Spider
08-22-2005, 02:48 AM
I think I tore a hamstring just reading that report! I actually uttered "arrag" when the wind blew you down.

Well done, it's always the rides in which we bite off more than we can chew that seem to etch themselves into our memories. You got a good one there.

cs124
08-22-2005, 03:20 AM
great story, one to tell the grandkids, bravo.

i'll just echo the thoughts of some of the more eloquent people here...i think lots of good came from this endeavour...

...for you, doing 12 rounds with that demon of yours...you think you feel beat up right now?...imagine how sorry his @ss is!

...for us, the inspiration to get out there give something a shot and the sheer enjoyment of reading about your journey has been wonderful.

thankyou sir. :beer:

keno
08-22-2005, 03:20 AM
YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES!

I couldn't be more proud of you for what you have done. Dare we think what you will be trying next? And a superlative report, to boot.

My best,

keno

cycleman_21
08-22-2005, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the awesome report, I have heard a few such stories about that mountain now, gives me something to look forward to when I try it :p, someday , and I will. Like a moth to the flame....

Ron C

Joel
08-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Dang! What a ride. Congratulations!!!!!!

Joel

Too Tall
08-22-2005, 06:33 AM
MY man!
Accomplishments are a wonderful thing reserved for brave folks who will stand up and be counted. You arrived to race and race you did. THAT'S HUGE. You'll never be the same.

Next go around can I help with some of the testing / race coaching? I'd be my honor.

Last....GO HANG WITH Roy and E.R. Dang :cool:

Spinner
08-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Climbmaster,

Thanks for your amazing narrative. MW is indeed formidable. You have my deepest respect.

Cheers!

DreaminJohn
08-22-2005, 08:22 AM
I am always curious about what motivates people to keep going in a situation like that. Was it rage or just sheer determination?

A good friend of my just completed his first triathalon. He walked the last 9 miles (out of 13) because he couldn't tell his sons (ages 16 and 14) that he quit.

Congratulations on your accomplishment.

Sandy
08-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Sheer detemination. They made up their mind that they were going to finish, one way or the other.

Sandy

Jeff Weir
08-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Climb,

Congratulations. You took on a monumental task. Job well done!

scooter01
08-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Climb,

you did it thats what counts, here in the Carolina's we have the Jimmy V Foundation his motto : "We must never ever give up" and you didn't.

Climbing is my dream too, but I am no where near what you have done I have been up MW several times, in a car neveron a bike.

I have been working on one ride in VA a 8.5 mile 8% grade climb all summer. Every time I do this ride its gets harder it seams, but I can now finish. My hats off to you. Great ride.

DfCas
08-22-2005, 08:38 AM
For doin' one of the hardest mountains in the world.

dan

L84dinr
08-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Climb, Great report and thanks for sharing your ride with us.
Congratulations on FINISHING!
You know the cool thing about children is they don't care about whether we, as parents necessarliy win; They just dig knowing, and seeing, their Daddy (or Mommy) Participate! You are KOM in your Daughters eyes! Fantastic.

rtp

BillyBear
08-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Best thing I've seen on this board...well done. You certainly have my respect, as a competitor and a journalist. :)

BillyBear

Climb01742
08-22-2005, 09:11 AM
I am always curious about what motivates people to keep going in a situation like that. Was it rage or just sheer determination?

john, i wasn't mad, except at myself. i just couldn't quit. i needed to get to the top. just one foot in front of the other. i couldn't have faced myself if i hadn't gotten to the top.

Sandy
08-22-2005, 09:15 AM
This thread shows how many people really like and care about you.

Sandy

jeffg
08-22-2005, 09:21 AM
john, i wasn't mad, except at myself. i just couldn't quit. i needed to get to the top. just one foot in front of the other. i couldn't have faced myself if i hadn't gotten to the top.

Yeah, baby! Sometimes finishing is all that counts. Thinking you just can't go on and then hauling yourself to your feet and crossing the finish line is what it is all about.

That being said, I cannot imagine the weather conditions on Mt. Washington. I have been frozen, wet, bonked, but never blown off my bike on an uphill !!! I had real luck on Ventoux in this regard for the race, but that is just epic!

If you want a chuckle in terms of how weather can make a tough ride tougher, see these links:

Cold (my first DC)
http://www.ultracyclist.com/2002dmd.htm

Heat! (my third)

http://www.caltriplecrown.com/RoadEngTT.htm

victoryfactory
08-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Climb;

Mt W is not only a mountain, It's famous for some of the worst weather
on earth, Great report.
As someone who has climbed Mt W by foot and by car,
and has felt that environment first hand, your eloquent report was riveting!

And that last pitch is so bad that there are some models of car that are not allowed!

Thanks

VF

Johny
08-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Climb,

You suck. Now go back to the drill. No more excuses not to beat Tyler on the line next time. :p

Keith A
08-22-2005, 09:34 AM
James,

I first want to add my congratulations to all of the others that have been posted here and I echo many of the sentiments which have been stated. You indeed did NOT fail, but you made it to the top of the mountain -- you DID it!!! Certainly you would have liked a different outcome, but you did not let the challenges of the mountain overcome your desire to make it to the top.

I too have been looking forward to reading your report all weekend and my thoughts were with you as you were riding MW. I even checked in a couple of times over the weekend (which I never do) to see if you had posted anything yet. I really appreciate all the great posts you have made leading up to the climb and especially the well written account of Climb vs Mt Washington.

You are indeed an inspiration to us all -- great job my friend!

jdoiv
08-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Hey Climb-O,
Terrific job. Great report. I too checked in several times over the weekend to see how you faired and your ride report was an awesome read. Just finishing is amazing. I've been blown around on a bike (I'm tall and skinny so a small gust feels like a hurricane) but I've never been blown off my bike. I don't think I could have gotten up and continued on. You have my respect.

J :D

weisan
08-22-2005, 10:13 AM
My plan was: 1:15 or bust. It was bust.

So, everything went according to plan. No regrets there. :D

You did everything RIGHT:

1) Ate a bowl of brown rice, my “power” food. Three cups of tea to caffeinate the body - YOU ARE PROPERLY FUELED

2) Arrived at start area at 5:30...Started my warm-up on the trainer at 6:30...Had a great warm-up....Felt ready - YOU ARE ON TIME!

3) I was in the middle of the pack - YOU ARE IN GOOD POSITION

As you’ll see, my race is a virtual catalog of dumb, rookie mistakes born out of inexperience. - Huh? Total Rubbish! You did everything right up to this point, what's your problem!!?

Up ahead I saw pockets of clear road. I climbed for them. And I kept climbing for them. - What's wrong with that...you are either going forward...or going backward...which option do you want, make up your mind!!!! Besides....you are feeling GREAT!!! - It was hard but effortless at the same time

A woman from the side of the road shouted out, halfway, keep going. I looked down at my watch. 36 minutes. - YOU ARE SMOKIN' THE FIELD!!!?? DO YOU EVEN REALIZE THAT????!!!!

I had wanted to attack the course, to race it. Not play it safe. - RESPECT THE MOUNTAIN, YES...BUT TO SUBMIT TO IT, ABSOLUTELY NO!

I was passing people, quite a few people, which should have set off alarm bells I now realize - WHAT's WRONG WITH GETTIN' AHEAD OF A COUPLE OF FAT A$$ss???

Then we came out of the trees. It became a different race. - NO, THAT'S NO RACE ANYMORE. IT BECOMES PURE SURVIVAL FROM THIS POINT FORWARD.

Then a gust of wind smacked me and I was over, on the ground - SEE WHAT I MEAN?!

I rode for awhile. How long I’m not sure. - YOU ARE IN SURVIVAL MODE.

He was weaving, tired, he didn’t seem to know she was there. He swerved right. She inched right. A foot to her right was the edge of the road and a sheer drop. She yelled. Thankfully he heard and turned sharply left. - THE MOUNTAIN NEARLY LAY CLAIM TO ANOTHER VICTIM.

A spectator helped me. I went a bit farther. But there just wasn’t anything left. I stopped. I started walking. - YOU ARE A DEAD MAN WALKIN'.....

My most constant thought though was, ok, I failed, but I’m not going to quit. One way or another, I’m getting to the top. - YOU ARE STILL A DEAD MAN WALKIN'.....

The last section is 22%. I could barely walk it. - YOU DON'T WALK....YOU CLIMB THAT SUCKER!!!

I made every mistake in the book. - HARDLY.

I took a calculated risk that spending weekends with my daughter was ultimately more important than riding mountains. - I'M SURE YOU EXPECT ME TO SAY THIS...IT'S NOT A CALCULATED RISK...YOU DID THE RIGHT THING AS A FATHER, WHAT ELSE YOU WANT?!

Ego is such a double-edged sword. Without, you don’t dare. But sometimes with it, you do stupid things. - WRONG! EGO IS A DOUBLE-POINTED FORK, BOTH ENDS EXPOSE WEAKNESS.

I tell my daughter that trying is what counts. - YOU GOT THAT ONE RIGHT, BUDDY.

Lord knows, I could be smarter the next time, ‘cause I can’t be any dumber. - I DON'T THINK SO, YOU'LL FACE A DIFFERENT KINDA CHALLENGE NEXT TIME.

Thank you, S.O. Climb. Without you, I’d never have gotten near that mountain, and never would have gotten down off it. - NOW, THAT'S A WINNING ATTITUDE!

Empire Scoring Sheet
Personal Courage: 10/10
Pre-Race Preparation: 8/10
Attitude: 8/10
Marketing/Promotional Campaign Effectiveness: 9/10 :D

Any Pictures??! ;)

flyingscot
08-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Climb - on a seperate point to my first post I hear Hamilton climbed with a 53/39 12/27 :crap:

Climb01742
08-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Climb - on a seperate point to my first post I hear Hamilton climbed with a 53/39 12/27 :crap:

i was talking to someone knowledgeable about this subject, who knew how some of the top local guys were setting up there bikes. he said some of the top riders were debating going to a 39. whoever was first able to win on a 39 would force the other top guys, in subsequent years, to go to a 39, too, because of the higher speeds a 39 could give someone over a rider with a 34.

BumbleBeeDave
08-22-2005, 11:48 AM
52/39 and 12/27 . . . That's he exact same gearing I have. so does this mean I could ride up MW as fast as Tyler? Or would I have to get my (chimeric) twin to push me? :rolleyes:

BBDave

slowgoing
08-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Chimeric sextuplets wouldn't be enough to help me.

FunkyPorcini
08-22-2005, 12:21 PM
You have my respect, sir.

(there are lots of other things that pop into my mind but this is the only one that was really relevant)

hypnos
08-22-2005, 12:26 PM
You're my hero!!!!

RichMc
08-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Atta boy Climb!! Sorry to be so late in chiming in but out here in the far west it's almost tomorrow morning. Good job! Doubtless you learned far more than you expected. You may find sometimes that the journey to the race is more important than the race itself. In your case it sounds like the before, during and after will be a dear lifelong experience. :beer:

Bruce H.
08-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Climb, Let me add my congratulatioins to those already offered. I was in tears when I finished my first triathlon. I actually finished. What you did was so much more difficult that I cannot even imagine it. Several years ago I drove up MW in late August. 78 degrees at the gate. When we got to the top we passed loads of rime ice, sleet, snow and gusty winds. The temp at the top was 33 degrees. You never know what the mtn will throw at you.
With MW it is far more than the climb, it is the fierce elements. I thoroughly enjoyed your narrative. Next year you will do better!
Bruce H.

Cadence230
08-22-2005, 08:14 PM
:banana: :hello: Absolutely great! :)

csb
08-22-2005, 08:26 PM
http://www004.upp.so-net.ne.jp/tanuki/pict/kininaru/mashiko_no_tanuki.jpg

djg
08-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Misery and all, you and your effort rock. For doing what you did. For doing what you did and feeling like a failure, which is ludicrous and understandable all at the same time.

Take it easy on yourself. That's no ordinary hill. I've been up on foot a couple of different ways. Ouch? Ouch happens up there. Folks get blown off bikes. Folks get blown off their feet. Tents have gone over the side, inhabited. I've seen clouds roll in at a freakish pace--it looks like a giant time-lapse movie. The temperature can drop like someone took the lid off the atmosphere. And then, sometimes, you just cannot see.

It can all be pretty hard to grasp for those who haven't been up there and then for some who have. East coast altitude. A nice little road. Sunshine, often enough. I can remember lugging a pack up once under a hot sun on a labor day weekend. We didn't see anybody until we got pretty close to the top. And the top was well populated, with all sorts of folks, some of them scampering down a few feet or so for the experience of climbing back up, which was highly annoying even though I was just another species of tourist. Lots of dumb stares at the fool hikers. I sat down, had some water, and started off again just as it began to snow.

I've never been up there on a bike, and I don't imagine that I could have made it half way this past weekend had I tried. I'm rambling a bit, and I don't know you, but what the he_ll--good work. And thanks for your post.

wwtsui
08-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Let me join in saying: Congratulations!! Your determination, dedication and honesty are truly inspiring. Can't wait to see what you decide to tackle next...

Bruce K
08-22-2005, 10:10 PM
James;

I just got back and want to say...you did NOT fail. You did more than most of us would even think of doing.

You set a goal, you pursued that goal to the breaking point, and you did not quit! EVER!

Just because you didn't make your goal time does not make you a failure in any way.

You have set an example many of us could use to imrpove our cycling and ourselves.

You are still the man!!

BK

davids
08-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Climb,

I don't know what I'm more impressed with - Your ride or your report. I not only felt like I was riding it with you, your words took me right into your head!

I understand your frustration - You set a big, big goal, and it didn't play out the way you'd aimed. If you hadn't had that intense motiviation, you wouldn't have signed up in the first place. So of course you're disappointed.

But with a little time, I hope you'll appreciate what you did achieve. All of us who have been up Mt. Washington know it's a monster! And you made it to the finish line, which a lot of us could not have done. You kept slogging when you were nearly delirious with fatigue and cold. Good job - You're truly inspirational! :beer:

I felt this photo went well with your narrative:

http://www.jsmcelvery.com/photos/2005/road/mw/05mw1.jpg

weisan
08-23-2005, 10:10 AM
http://www.jsmcelvery.com/photos/2005/road/mw/05mw2.jpg

wisdom-doc
08-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Hi Climb, Just a few thoughts on your report and assesment. I too rode MW Saturday (looked for the MW mut but didn't see it), and wanted to say Hi. This was my second trip up and I think I've figured something out that may help you put the experience into perspective. I trained as hard as my lifestyle and family priorities would allow and felt prepared to give this my best effort. I'm a fairly fit 51 year old who loves to ride and has always loved a challenge. I too hit the 5 mile mark in good shape (47 mins.) and feeling good. Then mother nature smacked me in the face. I was knocked off my bike by crosswinds and fell a second time trying to clip in going uphill on gravel against a 30 MPH headwind. I too watched my chances for a top notch finish slip away and limped across the finish at 1:30.52. Did I reach my time goal? Perhaps not, but when planning we never seem to figure in just how bad things can get up there. I think that in the future I'll probably never be any better prepared but the day will come when there's no wind or rain and nothing but clear skies. On that day I will be prepared to take advantage of the opportunity for a top notch finish. Until that day I'll settle for the satisfaction of knowing I trained well,shared a great experience with friends, and will have endless stories to exagerate for years to come. I've always appreciated your posts on this board and look foward to one day meeting you. Chris Auty

Needs Help
08-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Congratulations, wisdom-doc. Way to persevere, and I respect your attitude. You should be very proud.

Climb01742
08-24-2005, 05:23 AM
Hi Climb, Just a few thoughts on your report and assesment. I too rode MW Saturday (looked for the MW mut but didn't see it), and wanted to say Hi. This was my second trip up and I think I've figured something out that may help you put the experience into perspective. I trained as hard as my lifestyle and family priorities would allow and felt prepared to give this my best effort. I'm a fairly fit 51 year old who loves to ride and has always loved a challenge. I too hit the 5 mile mark in good shape (47 mins.) and feeling good. Then mother nature smacked me in the face. I was knocked off my bike by crosswinds and fell a second time trying to clip in going uphill on gravel against a 30 MPH headwind. I too watched my chances for a top notch finish slip away and limped across the finish at 1:30.52. Did I reach my time goal? Perhaps not, but when planning we never seem to figure in just how bad things can get up there. I think that in the future I'll probably never be any better prepared but the day will come when there's no wind or rain and nothing but clear skies. On that day I will be prepared to take advantage of the opportunity for a top notch finish. Until that day I'll settle for the satisfaction of knowing I trained well,shared a great experience with friends, and will have endless stories to exagerate for years to come. I've always appreciated your posts on this board and look foward to one day meeting you. Chris Auty

chris, it seems we share a lot. we're both 51. we both trained as hard as we could within our family and business lives. we both love a challenge. you're ahead of me, though, on perspective. but this post helps me a lot. thank you VERY MUCH. there's an interesting balance between willpower and acceptance. our wills can push us a long way. but they can't overcome everything. wisdom (or so i've been told ;) ) is figuring out when to accept a situation, put your will in your back pocket, and go with the flow. i very much like your thought about someday being on the mountain when the conditions are right and seeing what's possible...otherwise, take what the mountain gives us. sounds like a life lesson in there somewhere, eh? again, thank you, chris. this really helps.

Michael Maddox
08-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Highest props to you guys for taking on one of the most difficult climbs in the world. I hope to get out there one day and give it a shot, myself.

A question: do they ever cancel the ride due to inclement weather? After all, this mountain has some crazy-high winds.

CarbonCycles
09-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Hey check out Parlee's site..they have new pics and an article on this..

www.parleecycles.com