PDA

View Full Version : The pricing debate...

Ti Designs
08-21-2005, 04:33 PM
No, not the new $8000 frame & fork - that's been beaten to death. But if that new Serotta is worth an extra 2mph, what's coaching worth if it does the same thing? What if teaching them skills keeps them upright so they don't crash that bike? Is teaching them how to draft and stay in a paceline worth $10K???

I've started taking on individuals to coach (I've coached members of the Harvard team for years). I've stated up front that my fee is based on results, but I've never said what that fee was. The going rate seems to be around $50, if you can find a going rate for a coach who will go out on rides and teach skills. My riders see results, so do the people they ride with. The question of "how much does a coach cost" comes up. So, what do y'all think?

I should add that I don't think of cyber coaching as coaching for newer riders - it doesn't work. Newer riders need individual time, all the practice in the world doesn't help if they do everything wrong. Cyber coaching doesn't address the need for skills, which is where I find most of the gains are. It also doesn't allow for any real evaluation of the rider, so I have no clue how they set up their programs. Besides, how would they charge by the hour to e-mail the same program to 20 people?

soulspinner
08-21-2005, 04:41 PM
I remember seeing some coach watching a pros pedal stroke hanging out of a car in a mag years ago. Whats it worth if that guys input is the difference between winning and second in the Giro? How close was this years race?

Smiley
08-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Ti Man , I'd sign up just to learn to corner and decend like a mad man , think about taking your act on the road .

Fixed
08-21-2005, 07:38 PM
My son's coach former pro from Europe charges $30.00 a hour he rides with him and does drills the whole time. but we live in a smaller city than Boston we feel it's money well spent.Cheers

e-RICHIE
08-21-2005, 07:58 PM
My son's coach former pro from Europe...

who is he?

wanderingwheel
08-21-2005, 10:18 PM
The coaches I've talked to in Southern California tend to charge by the month, $100 to $150. Most communication is done by email and they want to see power or heart rate files from every ride, as soon as it is downloaded. Most will organize group rides with their riders and will also coach their riders on public group rides. Hope that helps.

Sean

Too Tall
08-22-2005, 07:23 AM
My coaching group works however is best for the clients. Mostly we coach by e-mail and phone which is mostly a practical matter. Our coaches show up to races and group rides wherever possible and that's practical since most clients try to pick coaches who are in their region. It is really really fun to see clients racing :) :) :) And even better to be there to slap them on the back when they finish. I'm a new coach so no riders to slap yet but I do have therapy clients in local races and that feels great too :)

Using powermeters that record everything and having clients send data lets me see just what's going on and fine tune workouts on the fly. Coaching done otherwise does require alot more hands on in terms of talk, direct observation and testing. Different strokes :) How cool is it to have a coach who can see that your threshold power has increased enough that your workouts can be harder without having to test? Or see signs that your training stress and overall work load may cause you to over reach in 2 weeks? Cool stuff. F.W.I.I.W. With enough historical data I can predict how to reach peak performance by modeling past peaks performances and use that to design future programs.

I'd never hire a coach for a yr. long program unless they were in the area for that reason. I need to meet, be seen and talk somethimes. However, I've have paid an out of state coach to fine tune my own program and give suggestions...he is the best at that and no need for hands on.

TiD - I absolutely agree that new(er) rides make vast improvments if you are there to work hands on. In the absence of that I'd try to get these newer riders hooked up with established teams where they can observe and be mentored (hopefully) by fellow athletes.

The $$s is not the issue. If your coach doing their job you are probably not paying enough!!! The work is time consuming and difficult to make right for each person.

SManning
08-22-2005, 07:48 AM
My coach charges me $50 a month; but I get a discount since we're also teammates. I think he charges non-teammates $65-75 a month or so... We usually have coached rides 2-3 times a year. He'll take me out on the trail and we'll work on handling skills, etc. We usually do one road ride a year together as well. He charges a start up fee, I think it's usually $100 or so...

At the beginning of the year we meet and decide what my season is going to look like, what are my goals, which races will be my A races, etc. Then he checks my bike fit and we decide when I will start training; based obviously upon my race schedule. He also tests at the end of every 4 week training period. I do my tests myself now that I have a powertap; last year he used to come to my house and test me using his powertap. I also receive workouts once a week. They are obviously tailored to me, my goals, and areas that need improvement.

I have much more contact with him than my friends that use an online service. When my husband had surgery last spring; he was great about altering my workouts and keeping me on track while life was a little difficult.

The money I pay Terry every month is well worth it; in fact I don't pay him enough sometimes. The improvement I've seen in my cycling and fitness have been tremendous.

Fixed
08-22-2005, 08:17 AM
who is he?
Simon Kessler my son really likes him a good role model.I get help from him also ,the 3 of us ride together it's a lot of fun and he makes my son work hard but keeps it fun at the same time.Cheers

Fixed
08-22-2005, 10:02 AM
A coach can do wonders and save alot of time for a hard working rider i.m.h.o. a better investment than the new wonder gadgit I.d say.Cheers