PDA

View Full Version : Hub Recommendation

scottaharper
03-02-2012, 09:33 AM
I am building a set of Campagnolo-compatible wheels for my 120lb wife. I am pretty sure that I am going with Stan's 340 rims, CX-Ray/Aerolite spokes, and 20/24 spoke count. My problem is that I am having a hard time deciding on a light but still reliable hubset to build the wheels around. I initially thought of going all out for light weight and getting the Extralite brand hubs, but am hearing that they need a lot of adjustment to keep running optimally. So, what would you recommend?

Thanks,
Scott Harper

ergott
03-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Tune or Alchemy are great choices.

A note on the Alpha rims. The brake track has less material so they wear out sooner than typical rims. Other than that, that should be a nice set of wheels.

I prefer to use a heavier gauge spoke for the right, rear side. With a low spoke count it's even wiser.

oldpotatoe
03-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I am building a set of Campagnolo-compatible wheels for my 120lb wife. I am pretty sure that I am going with Stan's 340 rims, CX-Ray/Aerolite spokes, and 20/24 spoke count. My problem is that I am having a hard time deciding on a light but still reliable hubset to build the wheels around. I initially thought of going all out for light weight and getting the Extralite brand hubs, but am hearing that they need a lot of adjustment to keep running optimally. So, what would you recommend?

Thanks,
Scott Harper

DT 240 hubs and unless ya gotta do tubeless, I wouldn't use those rims.

Velocity Aerohead OC rear, Aerohead front would be my rec. AND 2 cross thruout, brass nipps.

Then, you can use CX-Ray or Aerolight thruout.

BdaGhisallo
03-02-2012, 10:14 AM
If you can afford the cost of the Alchemy hubs, you won't regret it. They are fantastic hubs.

scottaharper
03-04-2012, 05:04 PM
You all have me thinking that I probably should build in a little more margin for error on these wheels. I am not sure I want to go all the way to Old Potato's recommendation, but I would like to move that direction. My question is what do you think will give me the greatest wheel strength/durability benefit for the least weight increase:

1) increase the spoke count (if so, rear only or front & rear)
2) change the rear rim to the Aerohead OC
3) move to beefier spokes
4) move to 16/8 spoke pattern in the rear
5) use the alchemy hubs that have the most optimal flange setup

Thanks for your advice,
Scott

ergott
03-04-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks for your advice,
Scott

Axle design and the bearings used also are big contributors to what you are looking for.

echelon_john
03-04-2012, 05:59 PM
1) increase the spoke count (if so, rear only or front & rear)
Not necessarily if you follow the other recommendations-120 is pretty light!

2) change the rear rim to the Aerohead OC
This is a no-brainer; great rim as recommended by oldpotato

3) move to beefier spokes
On DS rear, as Ergott suggested.

4) move to 16/8 spoke pattern in the rear
No

Not necessary if you use the OC rim there.

JC

Thanks for your advice,
Scott[/QUOTE]

Cat3roadracer
03-04-2012, 07:06 PM
King r45 hubs, Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 hole. 14 Gage spoke. Done . For a long time.

scottaharper
03-04-2012, 08:01 PM
While I greatly admire the craftsmanship and design of the King hubs, I have been specifically forbidden from considering them because of the freewheeling noise that they make.

Liv2RideHard
03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
While I greatly admire the craftsmanship and design of the King hubs, I have been specifically forbidden from considering them because of the freewheeling noise that they make.

As long as she keeps pedaling she won't hear the angry bees swarming!

scottaharper
03-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I tried that argument, and it was met with a silent, deadly stare. :no:

Cat3roadracer
03-04-2012, 08:23 PM
The bees in the r45 are much more calm than in the classic hub. I personally think the sound is relaxing, I welcome a long downhill.

Marcusaurelius
03-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm sure chris king designs good hubs but the noise is not to my liking. I've only used campagnolo hubs and never had a problem but the choices are very small.

I use a set of aerohead o/c, aerohead rims now and they have performed very well.

oldpotatoe
03-05-2012, 07:31 AM

They are also a very complicated answer to a pretty simple question. In other words, altho really 'interesting' design, way more complicated than they need to be for a bicycle hub. Besides, is the Campag type even in existence yet?

They do come in colors tho..

ergott
03-05-2012, 07:58 AM
They are also a very complicated answer to a pretty simple question. In other words, altho really 'interesting' design, way more complicated than they need to be for a bicycle hub. Besides, is the Campag type even in existence yet?

They do come in colors tho..

Where have you been?

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/Wheels/i-FbngBn7/0/O/R45-Campagnolo-Pink.jpg

The R45 is a bit less complex than the Classic hub design. It has fewer engagement points so there is less buzz. It still has over 40 points so it's quick.

oldpotatoe
03-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Where have you been?

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Sports/Wheels/i-FbngBn7/0/O/R45-Campagnolo-Pink.jpg

The R45 is a bit less complex than the Classic hub design. It has fewer engagement points so there is less buzz. It still has over 40 points so it's quick.

I know there are pictures but I thought somebody wanted to do a conversion and the FH/axle wasn't available yet. I sell lotsa headsets, but very few of their hubs. Think DT 240/350, shimano, Campagnolo are better choices...REALLY like Alchemy but BIG $(local company).

but they do come in colors.

ergott
03-05-2012, 08:53 AM
I haven't check them for parts, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are concentrating on getting whole hubs out the door first.

That pic is mine and I have a few others built/to be built.

Cost for DT and Chris King is the same. The King hubs have better flange spacing and build laterally stiffer wheels. King is involved in charities and have commuter incentives for their employees http://chrisking.com/company/commuter_challenge. They are 100% US manufactured/assembled and they do what they can for the environment http://chrisking.com/company/sustainable_manufacturing. They are an excellent company to work with.

I don't put DT in the same league as Chris King. They do nothing better except allow you to swap freehub bodies which I never do. It's not worth designing a hub around considering that most people never do this.

guyintense
03-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Eric gets it. I might add, Kings are a little more complicated but they are built like a Swiss watch and damn near bullet proof.

aoe
03-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Timely thread for me. Building up a set of 32h HED Belgiums. Have a set of the new campy King R45's laced to Nemesis and liking them a lot. Not sure the Alchemy flange spacing is going to make a big enough difference over the CK's on a 32h front and rear. Close call or Alchemy hands down?

Btw, completely new to building my own wheels. This would be my 3rd set and know for a fact they're not as dialed as an Ergott, Luxe, or Chainheart build. Enjoying the building/learning process though.

StanleySteamer
03-21-2012, 12:22 AM
I like the silver white industry hubs. You need the h3 rear hub for campy 11 speed.

yakstone
03-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Alchemy Hubs are awesome and the Kings are really nice; but for the money and quality that you get the White Industries are a tough act to beat. All 3 of these companies are US and build top notch products.

aoe
03-21-2012, 11:09 AM
I agree that WI hubs are good. Mostly interested in the difference between flange spacing of CK and Alchemy and if, on a 32h wheel, the strength/stiffness of the wheel is significantly better with the Alchemy or negligible. Can any of the wheelbuilders here chime in?

ergott
03-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Depends on the spokes used and how heavy the rider is. For what it's worth, I'm lacing up a set of alloy tubulars for myself to Alchemy hubs. I'm 160 or less in season and I'm still going to use Sapim Race spokes for the right side and Lasers on left. I get the magic carpet ride of low profile rims combined with great lateral stiffness. The hubs happen to be very durable to boot.

The R45s are in between the WIs and Alchemy for resulting lateral stiffness. All three end up making great wheels. It depends on your priorities.

aoe
03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Depends on the spokes used and how heavy the rider is. For what it's worth, I'm lacing up a set of alloy tubulars for myself to Alchemy hubs. I'm 160 or less in season and I'm still going to use Sapim Race spokes for the right side and Lasers on left. I get the magic carpet ride of low profile rims combined with great lateral stiffness. The hubs happen to be very durable to boot.

The R45s are in between the WIs and Alchemy for resulting lateral stiffness. All three end up making great wheels. It depends on your priorities.

Thanks, Ergott...exactly the intel I was looking for. I've got a set of Alchemy hubs, realized the front was actually a 28h but they were nice enough to let me exchange them and was considering CK's to save $50 and more colors to choose from. But I'd like to try out the most laterally stiff build possible so I'll stick with the 32h Alchemy's. Cheers, and if I completely screw it up I'll just have to ask you to build me up a set.

Joachim
03-21-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm interested in the ride of Alchemy hubs (28f, 32r) with some Velocity Escape rims. "everyday special" wheels?