PDA

View Full Version : Hub Freewheeling Sound Comparison?

MattTuck
03-02-2012, 09:29 AM
[standing up] Hi, my name is Matt... and I have a problem. I admit it, I free wheel. I've been free wheeling for years. And I love it!

I found this video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKbKfxu5_oQ) that demonstrates some of the different sounds from hub manufacturers.

The Chris King sounds like a moped and the Ligero at the end sounds very quiet.

Anyone know of a comparison like this that includes more hubs? Is shimano considered the quietest of the hubs?

67-59
03-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Interesting. I typically only freewheel on steep downhills, and have tried only two hubs on my Record setup -- Record, and DT Swiss (240?). Definitely like the sound of the Record better.

The sound of the Chris King would lead me to get larger front rings, so I'd be sure never to have to freewheel....

AngryScientist
03-02-2012, 09:44 AM
i like the chris king buzz. so much so, that it's my iPhone ringer!

Jaq
03-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Shimano might be quiet, but my mid-'90s Campy is as silent as the grave. I'm always surprised by how loud hubs have become; I guess it's what all the cool kids are doing. There are some descents through wooded coastal mountains around here though that, for me, the excess noise would just ruin.

At the bottom of one, for instance, is stream filled with croaking frogs that go quiet when folks whizz and whir by. And aside from the sopping Frenchmen, the amphibians don't like it much, either (rimshot). But when I glide by, nature's chamber music is just wonderful.

The other thing I've noticed - and I know there's probably more to it than noisy hubs - is that my bike tends to roll a little faster than the noisy ones. If I'm on a descent behind someone on a whirlygig, I constantly find myself drifting toward their back wheel. They could be on their brakes, lower tire pressure maybe, etc.

wooly
03-02-2012, 09:55 AM
The King r45 hub is much quieter than the classic. Still bees but just not an angry swarm.

MattTuck
03-02-2012, 10:40 AM
i like the chris king buzz. so much so, that it's my iPhone ringer!

I can't tell if you're joking or not. Do people with bee allergies run away from you when you get a call?

67-59
03-02-2012, 10:48 AM
I can't tell if you're joking or not. Do people with bee allergies run away from you when you get a call?

I thought it was a joke...but I guess you never know....

dancinkozmo
03-02-2012, 11:07 AM
...my ultegra hub goes like
"click - click - click - click "

...but my chorus hub goes
" ticky- ticky - ticky - tick "

....so the superior design and quality of campy, much like audi, porsche and rolex, is blatantly obvious.

AngryScientist
03-02-2012, 11:50 AM
I thought it was a joke...but I guess you never know....

definitely not a joke. i like it:)

http://chrisking.com/ringtone

edl
03-02-2012, 11:58 AM
...my ultegra hub goes like
"click - click - click - click "

...but my chorus hub goes
" ticky- ticky - ticky - tick "

....so the superior design and quality of campy, much like audi, porsche and rolex, is blatantly obvious.

Yep, Audi really got it right with the plastic impeller on their water pumps :D

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l66/groovysean/236.jpg

temeyone
03-02-2012, 12:44 PM
The other thing I've noticed - and I know there's probably more to it than noisy hubs - is that my bike tends to roll a little faster than the noisy ones. If I'm on a descent behind someone on a whirlygig, I constantly find myself drifting toward their back wheel. They could be on their brakes, lower tire pressure maybe, etc.

Sounds like you're drafting. I do agree that noisy freehub pawls can ruin some of the serenity if nature, but it also signals to me that I'm going to have instant engagement when I decide to pedal again.

My 2¢ and I'm out!

Jaq
03-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Sounds like you're drafting. I do agree that noisy freehub pawls can ruin some of the serenity if nature, but it also signals to me that I'm going to have instant engagement when I decide to pedal again.

My 2¢ and I'm out!

I never draft riders I don't know; too many things/reactions that I can't predict.

tsarpepe
03-02-2012, 05:11 PM
My DT Hugi is the loudest rear hub ever. It's like I have twenty crickets back in there.

biker72
03-02-2012, 05:12 PM
My old 9 speed Campy Record hub was a bit noisy.
I've got a new Campy Record hubset that is very quiet.

Liv2RideHard
03-02-2012, 07:25 PM
If you guys can hear your hubs then y'all aren't pedaling enough.

Seriously, I love my angry bees. Nothing beats a King. My Zipps sound angry too. My Record hubs have a very nice soothing tone to them.

eddief
03-02-2012, 07:39 PM
yesterday i squished some grease into the pawl area. much much quieter now.

swPArider
03-02-2012, 10:38 PM
My DT Hugi is the loudest rear hub ever. It's like I have twenty crickets back in there.

i don't know, have you ever heard Hope hubs? sound like a swarm of angry bees. great for getting walkers out of your way when you ride up behind em!