PDA

View Full Version : star sightings?

d_douglas
08-21-2005, 03:57 PM
OK, this is fairly irrelevent, but I got a kick out of it. I live in Vancouver Canada and am walking on the beach with my wife last week when my eagle eye spots a Merlin Cielo approaching. To my surprise, Robin Williams pedalling away with his 'quirky' pedalstroke. I found out from a friend that he is here often for work as my buddy has ridden with him for a few minutes very close to where I spotted him. Apparently, he is a very nice, modest guy.

Any star sighting by others? John Kerry on his Serotta? Mr. Bush 'dropping in' on a freeride trail?

Oh yeah - I saw Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell buying a bike for their son in a local shop. He plays junior hockey here in Vancouver, chasing the NHL dream. Two, uhhhhh, 'actors' can really stir up excitement in a bike shop!

(my apologies to Goldie and Kurt if you subscribe to this forum!)

Blastinbob
08-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Oh yeah - I saw Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell buying a bike for their son in a local shop. He plays junior hockey here in Vancouver, chasing the NHL dream. Two, uhhhhh, 'actors' can really stir up excitement in a bike shop!

(my apologies to Goldie and Kurt if you subscribe to this forum!)[/QUOTE]
Wyatt is dreaming if he'll ever make the pro's, he is where he is because of his parents. I've watched him grow-up here in So.Cal youth hockey.

former hockey coach, uncle Bob

Peter
08-21-2005, 09:57 PM
What's so funky about Robin's pedal stroke?

inGobwetrust
08-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Wow, Bob! Do you give the same encouragement to all the kids? Even if that's the way you feel it might be better to keep that opinion to yourself. Did this kid do something to you?

Tom Byrnes
08-21-2005, 10:58 PM
InGobwetrust,

Anyone who knows Bob would know that Bob would NOT talk that way to any kid. I bet he was very encouraging to all of the kids he coached and the kids on the opposing teams.

However, I think Bob should certainly be able to state his opinion about a young hockey player on this cycling forum without worrying that voicing his opinion will offend the youngster or his parents.

Just my unsolicited $.02.

Cheers,

Tom

BumbleBeeDave
08-22-2005, 06:40 AM
One of the attributes of a GOOD coach (and I admit, I have no coaching experience--personal opinion only) is that they should be able to let the kid know gently that they need to moderate their dreams of pro stardom. I’m sure Bob would be diplomatic, yet honest with the kid and his parents.

BTW, I wonder if The Jerk has ever coached kids hockey? Now THAT would be fun to watch! . . . Hey, KID! Your stick is too short!! :crap: :rolleyes: ;)

BBDave

csb
08-22-2005, 08:25 AM
What's so funky about Robin's pedal stroke?

i venture that his bottom bracket hair gets in the way of his
ability to ankle

d_douglas
08-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Well, he seems to have an inordinate amount of snap in his knee when he pulls back on the pedal, plus his knees aren't aligned with his hips (ie., they bow out) He was pushing pretty hard, so I give him credit for that, though!

And yes, he is a hairy SOB. That guy needs a shave!

As for Goldie and Kurt, they may be bad actors and their son may be a mediocre hockey player (I grew up on the Canadian prairies going to school with several NHL'ers, yet I can't even skate, so who am I to judge that he is a bad hockey player??) I give them credit for placing their kid as a priority to their careers. When I saw them, they were just like any other family in a bike shop, despite the sales staff racing around nervously. They didn't seem particularly demanding to me.

PS Kurt was wearing some SKETCHY old cycling shorts that almost made me throw up - he needs to drop $50 on some new shorts!

Blastinbob
08-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Wow, Bob! Do you give the same encouragement to all the kids? Even if that's the way you feel it might be better to keep that opinion to yourself. Did this kid do something to you?
Not anymore ! Most of my players liked me anyways. Some i even coached for 4 or 5 years, they just kept coming back for the punishment. It was parents like his and politics that got me out of coaching youth hockey, it was no longer for the love of the game, it was all about pipe dreams !
Wyatt did nothing to me, he's actually a nice quiet kid with no drive.

Bob, opinion given.