PDA

View Full Version : Ergon PC2 pedals

esldude
03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/pc2

Decided to try some Ergon pedals. They are an attempt at an ergonomic platform pedal. Shaped so your foot finds its place naturally on the non slip surface. Different take on the plain ole pedal.

I removed some Crank Bros Candy pedals from my Gunnar Crosshairs to try them as I had been riding mostly the Crosshairs the last couple weeks. Some complain the Ergons are clunky and huge. They do have that appearance though actually are only a fraction of an inch wider than my size 11 1/2 (46) feet. They aren't very heavy however. Riding them your foot covers them up.

The non-slip surface provides excellent traction at least with my New Balance Crosstrainer shoes. My feet stayed put whether spinning hard or climbing a hill. I did find the feet got light on the upstroke during spirited climbing. I also backed off just a bit as I felt that. No slipping though. I don't think it hampered the climbing too much though I am not a super climber by any means.

I did find if you made a rough shift climbing or spinning hard your foot or feet might bounce a bit. Didn't really come off the pedal, just got light and might slip a fraction of an inch. No big deal, you feet would reposition themselves in place like magic the next stroke around. I find the same thing happens with touring pedals if you aren't using clips and straps. With these pedals though the design does seem to help your foot go naturally back to the proper place better.

My left foot just fell perfectly in place on the doubly curved pedal almost as if custom made for it. My right foot however would end up almost a half inch forward on the pedal. I could move it back and in a few strokes it would be just a touch forward again. Felt fine, and in place anyway. Maybe there are fit asymmetries I haven't been aware of before now.

I do think versus other platforms like the MKS Touring or the BMX style pedals these are a bit more comfortable. The bottom of my feet had the entire pedal to spread the load. I haven't put big mileage on them, but my impression is you will just forget about them altogether. Your feet feel as secure as a pedal with the pins like the BMX pedals yet your shins won't get banged up nor will footware with cleats or ridges catch on them limiting your foot position.

So for casual use on a second bike or such they would be good. Probably good also on a touring bike for those that don't like clipless.

Hope this little report is of use to someone looking for a good platform and who had wondered about them.

I will be going back to SPD on my Crosshairs (never got on with the Candy pedals). The Ergons will go on my old 1980 road bike I keep for casual use. Though I really wouldn't be against using the Ergons permanently on the Crosshairs.

pdmtong
03-01-2012, 04:56 PM
I was wondering about these and planned to check them out at sea otter this year. with your comments, I am now much more informed. They'd be perfect for my wife's commuter and my around town SS belt. $80? ouch! need to save up for that. thanks for posting. :beer:

esldude
03-01-2012, 05:05 PM
They aren't cheap. But Universal Cycles has them for $65.

http://www.universalcycles.com/search.php?q=ergon+pc2

Also, if one were considering some of the lighter BMX pedals, they can be this much or more.

The MKS touring pedals are about half this much. I also have read good things about the Wellgo MG1 which is a BMX type pedal with good sealed bearings and a magnesium body. They go for something like $40.

rkalams
03-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm considering giving platforms a shot for my next tour. I've been riding clipless for 10+ years but on a touring bike I'm not totally sold on the performance improvement for clipless over the long haul. I had knee problems on my last 2 week trip and have heard anecdotally that flat pedals have completely rid people of their knee problems for long distance riding.

Plus my Sidi Dominators with cleats and insole weight a little over 2 lbs. I wouldn't mind that weight savings .

Thanks for the review! I'll keep them in mind.

pdmtong
03-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Sidi dom's are terrible mtb shoes IMHO. If you want to lighten up your shoes check out the s-works mtb shoe. I have a pair and they feel like slippers. Extremely light It'd be a perfect touring shoe. I don't tour butifidid I'd ride in sworks andcarry a pair of Nike free running shoes if I need to walk more