PDA

View Full Version : Litespeed Catalyst what to do

UKBROOKLYN
03-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Just found a Litespeed catalyst for 750 full Shim 600 looks brand new...

Do I buy this or do I buy the 900 dollar Merlin XL and spend another 2 Gs building it up ??

Hey wait is the Catalyst that horrible...

Quickly fellas ..discuss..

Aaron O
03-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I debated buying it and flipping actually. GREAT PRICE and I think I posted it to Bikeforums. I'm SHOCKED it's lasted this long.

My feeling is buy it! If it doesn't work out you can sell it and have more cash in pocket for a Merlin. FYI - if he's in Philly, i might be able to facilitate for you.

UKBROOKLYN
03-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I have a car so if the measurements come back good I may be doing a road trip tomorrow.

I have been doing some research on the web and found a geo chart that lists the Catalyst as having tapered butted tubes.. about 3.25 lbs.. quite a bit more than an XL but about the same as a Merlin Road.

lemondvictoire
03-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Just found a Litespeed catalyst for 750 full Shim 600 looks brand new...

Do I buy this or do I buy the 900 dollar Merlin XL and spend another 2 Gs building it up ??

Quickly fellas ..discuss..

Go buy both of them if they are your size, ride the Litespeed couple of times, then swap the 600 parts onto the Merlin and sell the Catalyst. I believe the Litespeed has tapered tubes and is straight gauge titanium. I would just get the Merlin if your budget is tight and spend the $$ building it, Merlins are that much nicer and harder to find. :D

Aaron O
03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
I have a car so if the measurements come back good I may be doing a road trip tomorrow.

I have been doing some research on the web and found a geo chart that lists the Catalyst as having tapered butted tubes.. about 3.25 lbs.. quite a bit more than an XL but about the same as a Merlin Road.

If you want me to act on your behalf, or get a head start for you, let me know. If he's center city area I can head over with a tape measure pretty easily or pick it up on your behalf.

zap
03-01-2012, 11:24 AM

The Catalyst frame is worth nothing.

Geo is ok but the ride is meh and the stiffness is just not there when hammering or swooping fast and hard around corners. Worst are the bullet cap stay ends, don't expect them to last much longer.

Early Catalyst frames are straight gauge, straight everything and a 58 frame weighed around 4lbs.

UKBROOKLYN
03-01-2012, 11:38 AM
The heaviest frame was 3.49 and that was a 61..
The tubes are tapered and butted.

AngryScientist
03-01-2012, 11:49 AM
my opinion is go for the Merlin. You've been talking about it for months. Only settle for the litespeed if you are convinced you are ready to let your lust affair with the Merlin go, otherwise you're always going to be pining for the Merlin anyway.

zap
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
The heaviest frame was 3.49 and that was a 61..
The tubes are tapered and butted.

Certainly not the early Catalyst frames.

I purchased one and rode it for 6-7 years until it broke. Then it was cut into pieces by a buddy.

gasman
03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I have a '96 Catalyst that has been my rainbike for 8 years now. Works well for this but the ride is average at best. Too flexy to race and had a problem with speed wobble until I got rid of the original Look fork and replaced it with an Ouzo Pro. The Merlin is a better bike.

BigPoppa
03-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I had an early Catalyst-bought back in I think 94' I gotta tell ya, never liked it. Sorry, the ride wasn't impressive compared to what I rode prior, and what I've ridden since. Seriously, not worth it.

UKBROOKLYN
03-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Just had confirmation on size and it aint right for me... Looks like I am gong to be starting Merlin project..

Louis
03-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Just had confirmation on size and it aint right for me... Looks like I am gong to be starting Merlin project..

That's what you were secretly hoping for anyway, right? ;)

Marcusaurelius
03-01-2012, 08:43 PM
I would get the merlin or look for a classic or vortex litespeed.

UKBROOKLYN
03-01-2012, 08:48 PM
oh dear oh dear..

I am a little worried about how short the merlin head tubes are.. but sex is sex right ??

Louis
03-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Don't buy it if it won't fit.

Sex with the wrong person isn't worth it.

Edit: There are lots of bikes in the sea.

UKBROOKLYN
03-02-2012, 07:39 AM
I have done all the measurements and even been to a store and fixed up a fit cycle to the size.. The head tube comes in shorter than I am used to but the top tube also comes in shorter which is what I was looking for. I am 5'9 and a 55 or above top tube has me too far out for adjustment. Also I have been cruising around on a 1950 raleigh Clubman so the bike fit I am used to is totally different and way old school.
I am going to look at the XL frame tomorrow.. it is totally pristine.. late Cambridge model with an ouzo pro fork, Thomson seat post and CK headset..
Heres a pic Merlin XL (http://nells.com/mxl.jpg)

and the geo is here Merlin XL geo (http://nells.com/MerlinExtralite.jpg)

He has asking 1G..

Any thoughts gang..

Hank Scorpio
03-02-2012, 07:49 AM
First comment is where is the bike located or claiming to be located? The picture you just posted was taken in my friends shop. So if the seller isn't local to nj it may be a scam unless you just posted a random picture of a Merlin extralight you found on the web.

Hank Scorpio
03-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Disregard my original post. I just talked with my friend the sale is legit and he is selling for a mutual friend.

UKBROOKLYN
03-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Yep its in NJ its not a scam. Its not at the shop any longer though. I did not particularly want to share the location as I said "I am going to look at the XL frame tomorrow"..