PDA

View Full Version : Dakine Pickup Pad and the like - tandem hauling input please?

henrypretz
03-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else on Earth has this issue, but I know that folks here are all knowing (I mean that in a good way!), so please hear me out. My situation is this - I have fork mounts in my Toyota Tacoma (too) short bed pickup and those are what I usually use to haul my tandem. The tailgate has to be down to fit. This is a problem when I pull our tent trailer because the tailgate must be closed to have clearance for the trailer. In the past I have made do in various ways but when I saw this item the lightbulb lit up.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18082-255_DAKPP8-2-Accessories-650-Adventure-Essentials/Dakine-Pick-Up-Pad-offerIN212GLB.htm?utm_source=Googlebase&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=FTP&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=30&zmap=255%20DAKPP8

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thestraightdirt/files/2011/09/GateMate-3-1024x797.jpg

I checked and the Burley will fit when loaded corner to corner. My question is, am I going to damage the frame/fork/headset if I carry the bike this way? It seems like a nice tidy fit with the bottom tube resting against the pad on the tailgate and the fork blade flat against the pad on the outside of the tailgate.
Let me add that we only run into this predicament once in a blue moon so I'd rather not drop big coin on a sweet "transport system".
Anyway, as usual, any input that you all might have would be appreciated.

Henry

AngryScientist
03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
i wouldnt carry my bike that way for a number of reasons. unless it is secured very well, it'll be bouncing around a lot. hit a good pothole and allow your downtube to bump into the tailgate in the position pictured, you bet you can dent it.

the best option is something that secures the bike very well, with as little relative motion as possible, especially if the going gets rough on the road, relative motion, and the bike bouncing up and down a bunch is a recipe for disaster.

also, a ton of grit and dirt is going to get trapped between that pad and the rear of the tailgate, the abrasive stuff and the pad moving a bit is going to do wonders for the truck paint. ever see someone who drives around with one of those "bumper badgers" - they ruin their bumper paint.

find another solution, IMO

Chance
03-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Other choices to consider:

If tent trailer is small, light, and tows easily, a receiver extension may allow tailgate to remain down while towing.

Remove tailgate and build custom wheel carrier for tandem.

Or build custom wheel carrier that supports bike above tailgate and trailer tongue.

Much depends if you need use of bed to haul more than bike.

pdmtong
03-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I see these in Tahoe all the time on beater pickups and DH rigs. IMHO not a good solution for a tandem and a shortbed.