Nooch
03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
it's like a rapha/hipster wet dream!

or:

so jeremy powers will be racing track?

delicious.

maximus
03-01-2012, 09:22 AM
That is certainly the perfect blend of form and function.

Fixed
03-01-2012, 09:38 AM
it's like a rapha/hipster wet dream!

or:

so jeremy powers will be racing track?

delicious.
i thought it had a rapha vib too
nice bike
i was reading the other day about hooded dropouts being a problem on race bikes
cheers

Ahneida Ride
03-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Note the facsimile of the HB triple corded wrap. :banana:

Climb01742
03-01-2012, 09:58 AM
that is stunning.

DY123
03-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Those stitches on the saddle will do wonders for your $300 pair of bibs.

DRZRM
03-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Hey Ray,

Just in the interests of chronology, the guy who made that tape and seat Busyman (http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.com/) has been posting about his leathergoods since 2008. Don't get me wrong, I love HB, but the suggestion that his is a "facsimilie" of yours seems... disingenuous.

He posted these:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GVcbtcWO8-E/TPNWVmSFBmI/AAAAAAAABJc/-GGspWYc_gI/s1600/IMG_3112.JPG

in 2010.

Note the facsimile of the HB triple corded wrap. :banana:

cfox
03-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Baums are gorgeous, but I could never ride a piece of 'art' like that. I'm sure it rides beautifully, but try as I might, I'd always be in a panic that I'd screw up the paint. I feel the same way about Speedvagens and other bikes with elaborate paint jobs. Bare Ti is more my speed.

feta99
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Baums are beautiful. They certainly have style, like this one:

http://www.baumcycles.com/images/017.1-440x292.jpg

tannhauser
03-01-2012, 11:21 AM
The ideal rider for that would have a 4.6 watt/kg or a 2k sprint.

Nice, in other words, but you'd better have the legs.

flickwet
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Whoever foots the bill, whatever their capability, it keeps Baum busy; and didn't take the bike away from you.

Personally I believe that one should get what ya want, if you can afford it, so be it, still cheaper then a Harley, better for ya too!

No one should feel that they aren't entitled to buy what they want. I have been seeing this attitude becoming more prevalent on this forum. Now disrespecting a fine bike is another thing all together. I suck, I ride a Serotta Colorado and a Fondriest TF-1, they resonate with me and I enjoy the hell out of them. On the other hand my son Weston now gets his bikes for free, he earns them. And he learned to love to ride from his slow old man on the beautiful bikes

flickwet
03-01-2012, 12:17 PM
The ideal rider for that would have a 4.6 watt/kg or a 2k sprint.

Nice, in other words, but you'd better have the legs.

And this is what I'm talking about. I don't have the legs but I bet Baum would be happy to build me one.

tannhauser
03-01-2012, 12:50 PM
And this is what I'm talking about. I don't have the legs but I bet Baum would be happy to build me one.

Well it is just kind of sad when a 250 lb. guy with a 40" waist stuffs himself into lycra to ride a Baum. He can do it if he wants, but it is more than slightly weird.

And I'm into BDSM.

Joachim
03-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I am slower now than when I was 20 and my bike costs 3x as much. I guess I just look weird.

and yes, I am at 4.5w/kg and that shouldn't determine what I can or cannot ride. Baum, please take my 8k, my beerbelly thanks you.

jpw
03-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Bars look a bit sharp edged.

reggiebaseball
03-01-2012, 01:57 PM

tannhauser
03-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I resemble that remark.

I better not see your ass on my 6 mile bike trail loop or I am going to throw assos sh1t at you while you fly by me.

Cool. Make sure it's my size.

ultraman6970
03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
:x

charliedid
03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Feel free to flame me but I don't care for those bikes at all...I'm sure they are a great tool for the right job but that fixie you posted looks more like a birthday cake than a bike to me.

nighthawk
03-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Love the frame, hate the bars.

yakstone
03-01-2012, 06:14 PM
I would like to see the price tag on that rig.

Fixed
03-01-2012, 06:18 PM
the colored bars make me dizzy
cheers

soulspinner
03-02-2012, 04:27 AM
I am slower now than when I was 20 and my bike costs 3x as much. I guess I just look weird.

and yes, I am at 4.5w/kg and that shouldn't determine what I can or cannot ride. Baum, please take my 8k, my beerbelly thanks you.

:beer:

Rueda Tropical
03-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Well it is just kind of sad when a 250 lb. guy with a 40" waist stuffs himself into lycra to ride a Baum. He can do it if he wants, but it is more than slightly weird.

And I'm into BDSM.

A custom Baum would have a tube set selected for the weight and fit of the rider. I'm sure a bike designed and built for a guy 250lbs would ride like crap under a 140lb racer. So why exactly would it be a bad choice?

Now a guy 250lbs riding off the rack racers designed for a 140lb racer... thats not weird, it's just a bad fit. Wrong tool for the job.

cfox
03-02-2012, 09:41 AM
A custom Baum would have a tube set selected for the weight and fit of the rider. I'm sure a bike designed and built for a guy 250lbs would ride like crap under a 140lb racer. So why exactly would it be a bad choice?

Now a guy 250lbs riding off the rack racers designed for a 140lb racer... thats not weird, it's just a bad fit. Wrong tool for the job.
I think he means 'weird' in the sense of "fat guy on a fancy bike"

Rueda Tropical
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I think he means 'weird' in the sense of "fat guy on a fancy bike"

What's the weight and wattage cut off for a "fancy" bike?

Bikes are not just about winning races or going faster. Fitness, recreation, touring, endurance events, because I like riding a bike, there are as many applications as cyclists. "Fancy" bikes purpose built for your physique, riding style and application work better for out of shape fat guys as well as for fit skinny ones.

Fancy bikes like fancy cars, boats, houses and clothes have really only one requirement: cash. If you are a good enough cyclist you get your bikes for free. If no one is giving you a bike for free you are pretty much in the same class as the guys you are making fun of. You are just a little less slow.

cfox
03-02-2012, 10:09 AM
What's the weight and wattage cut off for a "fancy" bike?

Bikes are not just about winning races or going faster. Fitness, recreation, touring, endurance events, because I like riding a bike, there are as many applications as cyclists. "Fancy" bikes purpose built for your physique, riding style and application work better for out of shape fat guys as well as for fit skinny ones.

Fancy bikes like fancy cars, boats, houses and clothes have really only one requirement: cash. If you are a good enough cyclist you get your bikes for free. If no one is giving you a bike for free you are pretty much in the same class as the guys you are making fun of. You are just a little less slow.
whoa there, I agree with you. I was just interpreting what the other guy wrote. I don't care what anyones rides; 99.9% of us barely require an Allez with 105, so anything beyond that is just for fun. I don't know of any arbitrary cut-off in regards to price/rider-fatness, but Baums are like $9k frames, so if such a cut-off exists in some folks' minds, a Baum is probably well beyond it!

Joachim
03-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Baums are like $9k frames, so if such a cut-off exists in some folks' minds, a Baum is probably well beyond it!

Yes, 8k for the Ti frame. Interestingly, there seems to be this story on the net about a ProTour rider who has a Baum (I think 2) as his "own" bike. So there is a cut-off :)

thenewguy11
03-02-2012, 10:27 AM
I think the Baum looks amazing and its suddenly got me thinking about adding a track bike to the stable. Even though I don't have a convenient velodrome nor do I put out 4.5w/kg or whatever.

tannhauser
03-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Maybe it's just me, but when I'm fat I will ride my not fast bikes until I can respectably fit in my kit. It's embarassing for me to do otherwise.

If you're fat and want to ride a Baum, go right ahead.

Ahneida Ride
03-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Hey Ray,

Just in the interests of chronology, the guy who made that tape and seat Busyman (http://busymanbicycles.blogspot.com/) has been posting about his leathergoods since 2008. Don't get me wrong, I love HB, but the suggestion that his is a "facsimilie" of yours seems... disingenuous.

Ah ... but who was the first to do a Triple Cord ? :banana:

Ahneida Ride
03-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Busy Man's work is fantastic ....

If I knew about him, I might not have started HB ..... :p

reggiebaseball
03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Incidentally,
How much does one think it would cost to get a GT style paint job done to a bike here by Joe Bell or some other painting luminary?

Joachim
03-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Incidentally,
How much does one think it would cost to get a GT style paint job done to a bike here by Joe Bell or some other painting luminary?

Around 1100.

laupsi
03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
beautifuly built bike; seemless, flawless, smooth, but she sure has that look of a time from long ago... :cool:

davidj
02-04-2013, 04:54 AM
This Baum Corretto (ti) was built in 2008 and has been out most week ends. The paint is still perfect and the ride sublime. I recently upgraded to Enve 3.4 tubs. Now it's perfect.

Most of the guys in my bunch have changed bike if not once then twice over that time. If ridden, Baums are a great value for money option.