PDA

View Full Version : Cycling and a vasectomy

hooverone
08-20-2005, 11:59 PM
I am thinking about getting a vasectomy but I have heard that some people afterwords if they move "wierd" they get a sensation or a pain in and I am not sure if anyone has had a vasectomy and if it has caused any sideaffects that affected cycling.

dsimon
08-21-2005, 12:08 AM
I am thinking about getting a vasectomy but I have heard that some people afterwords if they move "wierd" they get a sensation or a pain in and I am not sure if anyone has had a vasectomy and if it has caused any sideaffects that affected cycling.

wow im laughing my a@@ off. Well only if you ride right after you have the operation :crap: i got snipped 3 years ago no pain :bike: just blanks

Serpico
08-21-2005, 12:15 AM

Doc Austin
08-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Well, for one thing, I wouldn't ride home from the procedure if I were you.

Personal experience leads me to believe you have nothing to worry about as long as you give it enough time to heal up before you start riding again.

Your results may vary.

Ray
08-21-2005, 05:39 AM
I wasn't riding when I had mine done in the early '90s, but I was otherwise active. I had some minor complications (infection in one of the incisions) and I'd still say I was only out of action for a couple of weeks. For one that goes smoothly, probably more like a week. I think the procedures are even lower impact now than they were then. No long term issues at all.

-Ray

Michael Maddox
08-21-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm looking forward to an answer to this, since I've finally reached that point, too.

The closest I've come to knowing, I snapped a chain during a match sprint 15 years ago and had one of those crotch-meet-headset-then-flip-over crashes to the track. Cracked a helmet, ripped open my shoulder, and the pain assailing "the boys" was quite formidable. Sorta like a vasectomy-on-the-fly. Couldn't be worse than that, could it?

mls
08-21-2005, 08:47 AM
i dont know mike ask lance

JohnS
08-21-2005, 09:04 AM
I had it done two years ago, but it was December so I wasn't on the bike. From the way I was feeling, I would have been off for 1-2 weeks. It depends how long it takes the stitches to dissolve.

chrisroph
08-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Like Doc said; you have to be willing to give it a couple of weeks to heal up. Don't push it or you will get that wierd feeling. Don't ask me how I know.

Dr. Doofus
08-21-2005, 10:10 AM
its a great way to lose some weight for the climbs

Fixed
08-21-2005, 12:13 PM
it didn't stop me Bro.I am fixed and I ride a fixed.No worries be happy.

Kevin
08-21-2005, 12:54 PM
it didn't stop me Bro.I am fixed and I ride a fixed.No worries be happy.

I now understand why your forum name is "Fixed". My forum name should probably be "Broken" or "Warped". :beer:

Kevin

ric426
08-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Got snipped a long time ago and it's never affected my cycling. The best tip I got, for minimal discomfort in the first 24 hours after the procedure, was to buy a 1 lb. bag of frozen peas on the way home, split them into a couple of gallon size zip lock bags and use them like an ice bag on the tender zone. Put one in the freezer, lay on the couch with one you know where, and as that one looses it's cool, swap them. If you take it easy that first 24 hours, the rest of the recovery is much easier. HTH

BTW, you may lose your taste for frozen peas for a while after that. :rolleyes:

Smiley
08-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Cycling was the least of my concerns , I was scared to pee the first time and then try out the new sterile equipment , if you know what I mean . Give it 2 weeks to heal and don't be stupid about it cycling will work out no problem . Keep it iced really good for best results .

JohnS
08-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Am I the only one whose "dissolving stitches" never do?

Bill Bove
08-21-2005, 02:15 PM
[QUOTE=Smiley Keep it iced really good for best results .[/QUOTE]
BRRRRRRRRRRR
I thought just the very act of riding a bicycle was supposed to cause streility? There was some junk science for ya, 'splain to me a billion Chinise pedelling around Bejing.

ric426
08-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Am I the only one whose "dissolving stitches" never do?

I didn't even have stitches. It was the sutureless procedure, all through one tiny slit. I wound up with 4 little titanium clips inside (At least that's what the Doc said), but they haven't helped my cycling any. Probably could have used the CrMo ones and gotten the same performance... :p

mls
08-21-2005, 05:13 PM
then kevin just call me lefty cause cancer got the rt one
the surgery didnt hurt my saddle comfort but i do not
recover or dont seem to be able do as many miles as
i use to then again i am getting older

Samster
08-21-2005, 07:50 PM
This discussion thread _NEEDS_TO_BE_BANNED_.

I mean, like, come on?! :no:

--sam...

H.Frank Beshear
08-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Come on? Wasn't that what the whole discussion was about? Ahh, wait that didn't come out right :D :rolleyes: Mine was done the hard way no oblique reference chemo many times and full body radiation. I'm still here and as the scotts say when asked whats worn under a kilt.. Why nothings worn its all in fine working order :D As my good friend and oncologost told me its a sterility test not a virility test. Besides nobody was talking about the size of grapefruit :no: I think it is a very valid question on a forum that is predominatly male and for most of these other guys approaching middle age. Besides after everything is healed he'll get more saddle time than he's seen in a while. :beer: :banana: My 2 cents anyway Frank

txrider
08-21-2005, 09:33 PM
I had one a few years ago and do fairly heavy mileage. I have never had a problem. I even did PBP with it and had no issues. Best to consult with your Dr., however.

TXrider

ric426
08-21-2005, 09:42 PM
I agree with Frank. No one is required to read this thread, but the topic is of interest, and probably importance, to those who do. Some of us may discuss it in terms than seem light hearted or with outright jokes, but that's how some people cope with sensitive and/or scary topics. I have no qualms about sharing my experiences if it may help someone about to go through the same thing, and there were two things that helped me survive my own fight with prostate cancer and the after effects. The ability to joke about it, and the helpful first hand information that I found in forums very much like this, that technically were for unrelated subjects, from people who had been down that road and were willing to talk (and joke) about it.

BumbleBeeDave
08-21-2005, 09:57 PM
. . . that this is a very valid subject for this forum, whether it’s about male or female issues in that area. I can’t think of any area to have injured or operated on that would have more effect on your cycling. Oscar Freire has had numerous problems with saddle sores, with the latest operation knocking him out of the Vuelta and world championships. If you don’t like this thread, there are many others to read.

Hoover . . . I have not had a vasectomy, but I did have a hernia operation 8 years ago and the scar tissue sorting itself out proved to be far more worrisome than the actual operation. They implanted a piece of polyester(?) mesh to strengthen the abdominal wall--which brings the repeat injury rate downbelow 1%. It would heal up--then some of the scar tissue would rip and re-orient itself. The doc told me that would happen, but it still was alarming to have the twinges until it had all sorted itself out according to all the ways I could move. You should ask your doctor if the same thing may happen to you with a vasectomy, depending on what procedure they use.

BBDave

RABikes2
08-21-2005, 10:57 PM
FWIW from a forum "female" voice, your question is valid. No offense taken here. If you have questions, need support, and you have the opportunity to get first-hand feedback and ask, how can that not be a good thing?

Hope you get the answers you're looking for.

RA

Louis
08-21-2005, 11:30 PM
In Sam's defense (not that he needs me to do this, but because I just met him this afternoon when he, Dirtdigger88 and I went for a ride, and because he's a nice guy), I think he's joking folks. Lighten up.

Louis

hooverone
08-22-2005, 12:26 AM
Thanks everyone for all of the information, cycling is very important and I wanted to see if a vasectomy would cause any problems while riding . I will ask my doctor but I wanted to ask some people who are cyclist if they have had any side affect that affted cycling.

I have asked the usual questions to friends but I wanted to do a little more checking.

Thank-You everyone for your help.

Jim

Doc Austin
08-22-2005, 01:01 AM
OK, I didn't want to say too much because I was afraid someone would get offended, but since some people already are offended..........

I'll try to be as inoffensive as possible.

I had my procedure about 25 years ago, mostly because we knew I was too freaked out to have kids. For those of you who are considering it, after two days I never had a single moment of discomfort, but then again, I was careful to take the time to rest and heal. The first evening was rather unplesant, but nowdays everyone I know has a spare has Zanex , so drop a quarter tablet, smile, and sleep it off............or get drunk and pass out.

After two weeks it was like nothing had ever happened. Nothing changed... Nothing. If you don't want kids, or have had enough of them, this is a really good choice.

Samster
08-22-2005, 05:23 AM
Yeah... I was just kidding around. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Sorry if I did.

--sam

Samster
08-22-2005, 05:31 AM
You can technically reverse the procedure, but your body builds up antibodies to your own sperm cells (since they no longer have an outlet and need to be somehow eliminated). As such, though you can reconnect the plumbing, you might experience a sperm count reduction severe enough to render fertilization odds to near zero. Finally, there is some evidence to suggest that vasectomy recipients have a slightly higher statistical rate of prostate cancer. But there's no official clinical evidence that establishes causal relation. A number of oncologists have suggested that almost every male will get prostate cancer if he lives long enough... You gotta die of something, I suppose. But that last bit was something I picked up living in a family full of physicians, and not research-based observation.

remorsefully,
--sam

BumbleBeeDave
08-22-2005, 06:22 AM
The Forum Fashion Yoda forgives you! ;)

BBDave

Ken Lehner
08-22-2005, 07:46 AM

I guess I'm one of the more recent "victims", having mine in January of 2005. I actually went swimming about 4-5 days later, and rode the trainer very gingerly about a week later (both quite contrary to doctor's instructions). I recall that within about two weeks I was okay to work out hard, although I stayed off the aero bars for another couple of weeks, and running was a bit dicey without a lot of support down there. At this point, it has long since ceased being an issue.

ric426
08-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Hey Sam,
Sorry if I took your post wrong and and got my hackles up, but it's sometimes hard to detect subtle sarcasm in text, and I obviously favor discussions of such topic on forums. My apologies. If I hadn't been in a music forum where someone encouraged others to get early PSA tests, I might not be here to pass on that encouragement. Do it guys, it's a simple blood test that can detect something before it gets out of hand. It certainly saved me.

Ok, I'm off the soapbox.

Ric

BumbleBeeDave
08-22-2005, 11:01 AM
. . . any incidence of prostate problems in your family you should definitely make it a point to specifically request a PSA test when you are having regular blood work done for your physical. Easy to do and could literally save your (sex) life.

BBDave ("I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the forum! ;) )

cpg
08-22-2005, 11:13 AM
I got my vasectomy in 2002. It took a month before I could ride extended periods without discomfort. It worried me because I was hearing all of these stories of one to two weeks for full recovery. I consultanted my physician and was reassured one month was not unusal. With that said, I've had no problems or more children since. :)

Curt

ric426
08-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Amen Dave.
In my case, the family history was an unknown, but I have a very practical Urologist who suggested that I have a PSA test in my late 30's, to establish a baseline for comparison later on. About 10 years later he spotted a slow increase in my PSA reading from yearly tests, kept an eye on it, and caught the cancer with a biopsy early enough that surgery was able to prevent any spread. I'm still on the bubble for another couple of years before they're willing to proclaim it cured, so September is always a tense time for me, but so far, so good. My brush with cancer was relatively minor compared to a lot of others, but it could have turned really ugly if we weren't paying attention.

Moral of the story:
Men, it's a simple test, so if you're 40 or older (or even younger if there's a family history), get a baseine reading and get a PSA test every year or two.
Women, encourage your SO to do it. Don't let him chicken out.