PDA

View Full Version : More pictures of the Meivici

Spinsistah
08-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Sorry they aren't that clear, you'll get much better pictures on Monday from Bruce. The weekend has been a lot of fun, it's been a great event!

Tom
08-20-2005, 06:47 PM
It's a CSi made out of carbon. I'm not kidding, other than the seatstay lug don't they look a little familiar?

Bill Bove
08-20-2005, 06:58 PM
I like the cable stops on the downtube, it'll make routing Campy nicer. The "made in the USA" decal looks like it's facing backwards. I think I want one.

ergott
08-20-2005, 08:51 PM
I like the cable stops on the downtube, it'll make routing Campy nicer.

How so? I have no problem with my routing. Cross the cables before the stops and after and the look is real clean. The cables never touch the downtube.

eddief
08-20-2005, 10:04 PM
and how one ride is distinguished from another. Another hype vs reality conundrum. I have zero experience, but, I swear for looks, finish, semi-lugged, gorgeous; this is a wonder to behold in person. Not custom, but so damn nice.

http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2005/html/bikes/bike_specs/specs_stelvio.html

columbusslx
08-20-2005, 10:48 PM
8000.00 and no cable adjusters in the stops on the DT....c'mon? Those inline adjusters look (and work) terrible. I hope this is a pre-production thing.

Jeff N.
08-20-2005, 11:09 PM
8000.00 and no cable adjusters in the stops on the DT....c'mon? Those inline adjusters look (and work) terrible. I hope this is a pre-production thing.I was thinking the same thing! HA! Wouldn't that be something? POS in-line adjusters? In my mind's eye for detail, this would be absolutely, positively UNACCEPTABLE! And enough to make me look the other way if I loved everything else about the frame. They should be on the headtube anyway! Jeff N.

The Spider
08-21-2005, 02:43 AM
How is that cable stop attached anyway, looks like it is metal...glued or riveted?

nicrump
08-21-2005, 08:12 AM
There is a really good reason why some carbon builders like myself use split stops for der rather than threaded. When threaded adjusters go un-maintained (as they often do) the typical techniques for freeing them can have devastating affects on the stop mount to the carbon. I have repaired many Colgano’s and the like with damaged threaded stops. I always replace them with split stops and I never hear about it again.

I choose inline on carbon any day.

Jeff N.
08-21-2005, 08:22 AM
There is a really good reason why some carbon builders like myself use split stops for der rather than threaded. When threaded adjusters go un-maintained (as they often do) the typical techniques for freeing them can have devastating affects on the stop mount to the carbon. I have repaired many Colgano’s and the like with damaged threaded stops. I always replace them with split stops and I never hear about it again.

I choose inline on carbon any day.Unmaintained? You mean periodically cleaned and lubed? Never heard of a threaded cable stop seizing up from being "unmaintained". Not saying it's not possible, but.........Jeff N.

Argos
08-21-2005, 08:35 AM
I used to work in a place that was practically on the Ocean. A little neglect and basic disregard for mother nature, proper maintenance, and hygiene will corrode anything.

Customers used to laugh and laugh at the foolishness of this shop rat when I would politely explain cleaning preocedures as they picked up their new bike. "It's titanium, I don't have to clean it! Ha ha ha!"

Then they'd come back in 3 months or a year, it would not matter. D/A cranks would be oxidized, crumbling with white powder. Seat clamps destroyed and salty and barrell adjusters locked and unusable.

All they needed to do was not act like an arrogant bum and wipe their new toy off with some windex, etc...

Jeff N.
08-21-2005, 08:41 AM
I used to work in a place that was practically on the Ocean. A little neglect and basic disregard for mother nature, proper maintenance, and hygiene will corrode anything.

Customers used to laugh and laugh at the foolishness of this shop rat when I would politely explain cleaning preocedures as they picked up their new bike. "It's titanium, I don't have to clean it! Ha ha ha!"

Then they'd come back in 3 months or a year, it would not matter. D/A cranks would be oxidized, crumbling with white powder. Seat clamps destroyed and salty and barrell adjusters locked and unusable.

All they needed to do was not act like an arrogant bum and wipe their new toy off with some windex, etc...Then they got what they DESERVED, I'd say. Anyone who buys a high-end toy like that and neglects simple up-keep to the point things get like you describe..... :no: Jeff N.

Argos
08-21-2005, 08:47 AM
I agree completely. It was one of the best/worst parts of my job.

Best: "It's gonna be expensive to fix, and we don't warranty that, because it is neglect."

Worst: The poor bikes. Ottrott's, CSI's, Dogma's, Prince's, Merlin's, etc....

One guy was smart. He gave the mechanic and myself $20/week of his own volition. He got a hook in the back, to always keep his bike and we would prep it and clean it before every ride. It was always like new.

Dr. Doofus
08-21-2005, 08:47 AM
looks nice

not odfo's thing

(said for 22nd time)

is probably a great great bike

if that's what you want

(and you can rationalize eight grand for a frame and fork)

John H.
08-21-2005, 09:02 AM
If the shifter cable stops need to be on the downtube, Serotta should go with downtube shifter bosses.

ergott
08-21-2005, 09:15 AM
If the shifter cable stops need to be on the downtube, Serotta should go with downtube shifter bosses.

AbSOULutely!! What about downtube shifters man!!!! Lance USED to do it :D
Much better adjusters available this way.

John H.
08-21-2005, 10:05 AM
If they did that I would want to send my Ottrott back to get the headtube cable guides cut off and dt bosses put on!

Air Jer
08-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Dear Dr Doofus, I can't rationalize 8 grand for a frame and fork. Seems as if Ben should change his name to PT. Something about a fool and his $$....

Oh well, I still like lugged steel and how archaic is that? I think I am hanging out with the wrong crowd and I need to disappear as one Big Mac did once upon a time. I just don't get it.

gdw
08-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Nouveau riche?

Air Jer,
I agree with you. $8,000 for a frameset, especially a plastic one, is ridiculous.

Serotta PETE
08-21-2005, 02:37 PM
I am not going to get into what something is worth (for my opinion is of what something is worth to me and that vaires by how much red wine I was able to get from Flydhest.

- - but "value is always in the eye of the beholder".

Think about the 250K boats, 120K cars, $250 Bottles of wine, $10k watches, $20K crusies....etc...

Most folks think we are all nuts for spending $2K+ on a bicycle...

Have a good week and go out to ride.

And please lets feel good that we have all these choices AND also respect the choices others make.

I had a great ride today and now am going to have a great glass of wine from the bottle that Flydhest recommended my daughter get me for my birthday.

PETE

Bill Bove
08-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Thank you, Pete. Well said.

Cadence230
08-21-2005, 03:12 PM
One guy was smart. He gave the mechanic and myself $20/week of his own volition. He got a hook in the back, to always keep his bike and we would prep it and clean it before every ride. It was always like new.
Wow! That's cool!

Air Jer
08-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Pete,

Most likely I could agree with you if you would just share your red wine with me. :) :)

AJ

Serotta PETE
08-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Pete,

Most likely I could agree with you if you would just share your red wine with me. :) :)

AJ

Come on down there is plenty to go around....Spokes does not drink wine.