PDA

View Full Version : What piece of equipment made you SO much faster OR better?

giverdada
02-29-2012, 06:44 PM
once upon a time it was the 90s and i was a teenager and heart rate monitors were the big deal. my dad told me that if i was serious about getting faster on a bike, i would need to use numbers to train, and i would need to ride my road bike more than my mountain bike.

he was usually right.

so i got out there and did hill repeats and one-legged drills and everything else that the heart rate monitor book said i should. i did it all on my dead-metal cannondale that was red and perfect to me and the first bike i ever helped build up from scratch.

one day, without the heart rate monitor, i came back from an easy mountain bike ride and surprised myself with how fast i flew up the hill on my parents' driveway. it was like lance said after he lost a bunch of weight and got into the mountains and attacked gotti - effortless. flew right up the thing, barely breathing heavy, wondering what had just happened. somehow, i had gotten fast!

evidence one: heart rate monitor = faster.

the next year, i was racing in the high school mountain bike series and had just gotten a dream bike and was putting it through its paces in tight singletrack and hairpins and off camber uphill switchbacks. the tires bit into every single surface, and i didn't spin out once. every surface, from uphill to off camber to roots to dirt-leaf-dry-mixture, was conquered. i could get up hills i'd never do before, and i could rail turns i would have braked way more for.

evidence two: S-Works tires at 127 tpi = better.

so: is there stuff that you've used/had/acquired that made you feel like you were going from a tractor to a porsche (on pavement) for speed, or from novice to pro ability in one equipment change? just curious. (and i know: it's not about the bike...)

Fixed
02-29-2012, 06:51 PM
1st .my px10 it was a race bike
as opposed to the ross i had before

2nd . cycling coach
cheers :beer:

dancinkozmo
02-29-2012, 06:55 PM
I found this simple system highly effective:

Step 1: go to fridge and get beer. If its a weekday ; lager, a weekend use IPA only.

Step 2: go to sofa, turn on tv , open beer...pour beer into a suitable glass container.

Step 3: take glass of beer to kitchen sink, dump down drain.

Step 4: get out and ride bike.

giverdada
02-29-2012, 06:58 PM
ha ha ha! awesome!

ergott
02-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Step 1: go to fridge and get beer. If its a weekday ; lager, a weekend use IPA only.

Step 2: go to sofa, turn on tv , open beer...pour beer into a suitable glass container.

Dude if you do steps 1-3 you need to be banned. How dare you.

Drink beer and ride even more. Beer doesn't slow me down, it makes me ride more.

:beer:

climbgdh
02-29-2012, 07:01 PM

Drink beer and ride even more. Beer doesn't slow me down, it makes me ride more.

+1000 ..... without beer I'd die of thirst..... plus probably ride a hell of alot less!!

christian
02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
I have to admit, for fast/hard riding, road shoes are a significant step up from mtb shoes. I rode on the road in Dominators for a long time, but I get way fewer hotspots or "tired feet" in Geniuses. I was surprised it made much of a difference, actually.

markie
02-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Back when I was 21 I took a 3 week trip from the UK to Calgary. I drove to Vail to watch the MTB world championships. I rode my bike a bunch during those three weeks. All that time at high altitude and riding bikes meant I got back to the U.K. as a different rider. I wonder if that was just because the UK climbs did not look very big compared to the Rockies?

More recently riding single speed and then fixed and having a 29er have all made me stronger.

(nice thread BTW)

AgilisMerlin
02-29-2012, 07:41 PM
taking off the small ring, front der. and cable/housing.

50t 9spd bicycle

fuzzalow
02-29-2012, 07:42 PM
SRM

dancinkozmo
02-29-2012, 07:46 PM

If you dont like that program youd REALLY hate my 4 step plan to avoid unwanted pregnancies.

Lovetoclimb
02-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Campagnolo drivetrain!

Bob Loblaw
02-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Bridgestone RB-1. Suddenly going around corners at ludicrous speed wasn't scary anymore.

BL

FlashUNC
02-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Clipless pedals and proper shoes, now that I think about it, have probably made the biggest difference in my speed/comfort on the bike.

Delpo
02-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Proper fitting did it for me.

Peter B
02-29-2012, 09:05 PM
The one that motivates you to spend quality time on your bike.

Orrery
02-29-2012, 09:11 PM
I guess the squat rack in my school's gym. When I was doing that regularly I felt strong like bull.

54ny77
02-29-2012, 09:25 PM
The worm drive motor in my seat tube/bottom bracket. Bought it off some Swiss guy on craigslist last year. He said it worked good, is very quiet.

nm87710
02-29-2012, 09:26 PM
the one that motivates you to spend quality time on your bike.

+1

texbike
02-29-2012, 09:35 PM
I've found that having a chain on my bike has made an incredible difference in my power transfer.

Texbike

Viper
02-29-2012, 09:37 PM
The human mind controls the human body.
Discipline and focus control the mind.
We get faster or better if we mind.
Faster and better are chosen decisions, not choices.
Or just look at Jack Brunk's bikes and you'll feel better and faster.

thwart
02-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Rollers. One leg drills.

Is that really Viper... ?

maximus
02-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Other than clipless pedals - fixed gear.

Just riding the fixie day in and day out on my commute made a huge difference. I have a much more consistent cadence on my road bike - coast much less - and appreciate the ability to shift that much more.

texbike
02-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Is that really Viper... ?

It can't be! There isn't a single Star Wars reference in that entire post. :)

Speaking of which, I miss Viper. Can he come back now?

Texbike

pdmtong
02-29-2012, 09:59 PM
The human mind controls the human body.
Discipline and focus control the mind.
We get faster or better if we mind.
Faster and better are chosen decisions, not choices.
Or just look at Jack Brunk's bikes and you'll feel better and faster.

Viper...really? If it's YOU then welcome back

Viper
02-29-2012, 10:06 PM
It can't be! There isn't a single reference to Star Wars in that entire post. :)

Speaking of which, I miss Viper. Can he come back now?

Texbike

If you get a Ouija Board, comb your hair with a proper comb and fyi I touched the aluminum skin of an Atlas V Rocket today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9bJSEjrvhg

rounder
02-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Clipless pedals...

For me, once i crossed that line, i was commited.

texbike
02-29-2012, 10:14 PM
If you get a Ouija Board, comb your hair with a proper comb and fyi I touched the aluminum skin of an Atlas V Rocket today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9bJSEjrvhg

Hmmm, a Morrissey link here, a Spock reference in another, and a Jaws reference in yet another...

I do believe that it's alive!!!!

Texbike

beeatnik
02-29-2012, 11:57 PM
super stiff carbon sole shoes. the difference between the really expensive ones and the expensive ones translates to 2mph. strava told me.

TimmyB
03-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Shaved legs :fight:

fogrider
03-01-2012, 02:44 AM
this is like having a motor on the bike...
ultra light wheels...I'm talking wheels that are under 1,200 grams! and pretty much the only way to get that light is carbon tubulars.

the other thing is to eat right, whole wheat, no sugars, no chips, no bbq, lots of green veggies and lean protein.

HomardBreton
03-01-2012, 04:11 AM
first: to have ( med. ) knowledge about your body to train individually.
second: have a strong mind - winning is a mind game.

( both are no equipment at all, but essential )

third: Lightweight tubulars, appr. ~1000grms. of weight.

Itīs a combination of all of them.

Gat64
03-01-2012, 05:54 AM
For me it was getting a well fitted commuter single speed. I found the difference from putting in daily rides compared to just week-end outing was incredible. As the riding season progresses, I increase my commuter rides by throwing in a couple extended commuter rides of 75km. I rode hard too - seems easier when you are leaving work - kinda felt like I wanted to racket away from the office I guess...

Lesson learned: There are no short cuts. Miles and effort are required.

Elefantino
03-01-2012, 06:01 AM
A training partner who is better than me.

William
03-01-2012, 06:08 AM
Viper...really? If it's YOU then welcome back

There's one way to tell for sure..... (Viper), what literary giant accompanied you to the first Rhode Island Ramble....that still lives in my house? ;)

William

witcombusa
03-01-2012, 06:41 AM
Single biggest game changer is still air in the tires......

David Kirk
03-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Full custom D2 shoes.

dave

Climb01742
03-01-2012, 06:45 AM
a goal.

saab2000
03-01-2012, 07:04 AM
A properly fitting bicycle. Perfect contact points. Perfect position. Riding bliss.

victoryfactory
03-01-2012, 07:09 AM
You can't enjoy cycling and keep progressing if you are uncomfortable
on the bike. How can you ride with burning feet or aching butt or numb hands
or sore neck or back?

It's comfort and control at the contact points that is the biggest
factor in allowing us to continue cycling.
All else flows from there, more comfort means more time in the saddle which
translates to better technique, fitness, range and enjoyment.
So many riders quit due to discomfort.
I'd start with finding the perfect (or as close to perfect) pedals & saddle & bars
For me right now it's Speedplay and Aliante and Easton EC 90

(Looks like pedals/shoes is the big winner on this question)

VF

bumknees
03-01-2012, 07:24 AM
a saddle that doesn't bother me... unfortunately for me, that saddle is a Brooks Swallow...$$$

that one thing (okay, along with a properly fitting bike) keeps me riding longer

oldpotatoe
03-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!!

Like Eddy once said, 'ride lots'...period.

flydhest
03-01-2012, 07:50 AM
I would echo Climb and Elefantino.

Deciding that I wanted to race, actually matter in the race. Be in contention for the win or work to make sure my teammates did. That mattered a lot. Riding with people faster than me, and where I was not always dictating the pace.

Those two things have made the difference when I have been fast(ish).

One possible new addition, though, is that a buddy just made me hip to Sufferfest. Their motto "I will bust my ass today so I can kick yours tomorrow." is pretty choice. Anything that will keep me riding through the winter will be a good thing.

Ti Designs
03-01-2012, 09:58 AM
I learned how to ride...

weiwentg
03-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!!

Like Eddy once said, 'ride lots'...period.

no we don't have a winner - unless he was throwing Bud down the drain.

bheight1
03-01-2012, 10:45 AM
-17 stem = going lower

crownjewelwl
03-01-2012, 10:50 AM
spanish tenderloin?

jh_on_the_cape
03-01-2012, 10:56 AM
most people do not mention equipment. once you have a decent fitting bike, it's very small increments until you drop $2k on wheels.

my 2 major things were:
1. getting off the bike and training for a marathon. i lost weight, got in much better shape, and trained my mind and body for long efforts.

2. getting off the bike and doing yoga/pilates: increased flexibility and strength.

19wisconsin64
03-01-2012, 07:30 PM
...they were the night-and-day revelation to me when i switched from running shoes! they transformed my '83 Motobecane Jubilee Sport from "nice ride in the countryside" to Tour De France wannabe. "wannabe" being the operative word in that last sentence, but it changed the whole cycling experience for me. since have switched to clipless pedals, but still remember by first set of Detto Pietro cycling shoes!

well, that and Lycra shorts!

cheers

AgilisMerlin
03-01-2012, 08:57 PM
spanish tenderloin?

oh my,

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/contador-on-a-cow.jpg

BobC
03-01-2012, 09:25 PM
You'll probably laugh but:

the heaviest set of 36 spoke training wheels with gatorskins (or some other type of heavy duty tire). 32 if you cannot find 36 anymore.

Here is why. Show up at your local weekly ride with everyone else riding the super-sleek uber-aerodynamic $2K carbonic wheelset. Hang with them riding your heavy wheels --> then come race time they are still on the same set of wheels & you have upgraded. See who is faster then.

Did that for years on Weinmann concaves. My favorite wheelset of all time.

echappist
03-01-2012, 09:42 PM
SRM
this. Though getting a good fit that allows me to take advantage of my slammed stem is also important.

well, actually, powermeter and a thinking brain. Threshold power went from 260W to 310W since i started training with power in November 2010, though most of that came in the last four months as I gained 40W after taking advice from someone really really fast. To be fair, I might have been at 280W in peak form in 2010.

stephenmarklay
03-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Inside ride rollers. Allowed me to train huge ugly winter hours.

weaponsgrade
03-02-2012, 01:25 AM
When I first started biking (mtn biking) I was using toe clips. I remember feeling a huge difference in control and efficiency when I went to clipless. Since then I've gone from thumbshifters to rapid fire, 7 spds to 10, square taper to external BB, Ergo, STI, Double Tap, but nothing made as big a difference as toe clips to clipless.

Johnnyg
03-02-2012, 06:20 AM
once upon a time it was the 90s and i was a teenager and heart rate monitors were the big deal. my dad told me that if i was serious about getting faster on a bike, i would need to use numbers to train, and i would need to ride my road bike more than my mountain bike.

he was usually right.

so i got out there and did hill repeats and one-legged drills and everything else that the heart rate monitor book said i should. i did it all on my dead-metal cannondale that was red and perfect to me and the first bike i ever helped build up from scratch.

one day, without the heart rate monitor, i came back from an easy mountain bike ride and surprised myself with how fast i flew up the hill on my parents' driveway. it was like lance said after he lost a bunch of weight and got into the mountains and attacked gotti - effortless. flew right up the thing, barely breathing heavy, wondering what had just happened. somehow, i had gotten fast!

evidence one: heart rate monitor = faster.

the next year, i was racing in the high school mountain bike series and had just gotten a dream bike and was putting it through its paces in tight singletrack and hairpins and off camber uphill switchbacks. the tires bit into every single surface, and i didn't spin out once. every surface, from uphill to off camber to roots to dirt-leaf-dry-mixture, was conquered. i could get up hills i'd never do before, and i could rail turns i would have braked way more for.

evidence two: S-Works tires at 127 tpi = better.

so: is there stuff that you've used/had/acquired that made you feel like you were going from a tractor to a porsche (on pavement) for speed, or from novice to pro ability in one equipment change? just curious. (and i know: it's not about the bike...)
My Envy clincher wheels. Love them. No adjustments in 20,000 miles.

temeyone
03-02-2012, 07:27 AM
When i went from Ultegra/Open Pros to HED Bastogne wheels, it made a pretty serious difference. But changing jobs to one that allowed me more time to ride was the greatest move ever in terms of performance. You can be an amazing athlete on a bike with downtube shifters and make a lot of jaws drop.

torquer
03-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Airbus A320 (or maybe it was a Boeing 7x7) that took me to California for a February cycling camp. That gave me a headstart on mileage (and form) for the whole rest of that year.

old_fat_and_slow
03-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Uhm..........., if you're even remotely close to LA, I'll be drivin' my truck over soon to relieve you the hassle of steps 1-3 for the forseeable future. You'll have tah stock up on several cases though, to make it economically viable for me. BTW, I prefer Fat Tire, and all other variants brewed by New Belgium brewing. Let me know when I should fire up the truck.

tv_vt
03-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Lots of good replies in this thread, and a lot of light-hearted comments. I'll take the question seriously and say these:
Skinsuit
STI type shifters
Good wheels (low spoke count, low rolling resistance tires)
Decent enough, responsive enough, stiff enough bike (they do make a difference!)
Stiff enough shoes
Getting in 2000 miles by mid-summer - after that, I'm ready to kick it up a few notches. I see a big difference after the 2K mark in fitness.

Thom

giverdada
03-02-2012, 09:31 PM
you know, i forgot about this one until we were headed to the bike show today in my brother's truck, and we took this corner as part of the route: my serotta legend ti was the first bike that was lightyears ahead in its handling capabilities. apparently ti bikes aren't great at descending because of their lack of stiffness or something, but this corner is a 90 degree turn on ****e pavement right next to a jailhouse, and the first time i tried to do it, just to see if the bike would make it, my jaw dropped. the bike was much more ready for such late-response turning than i was, and it was like being strapped in to something and taken for a ride. grinning. silly. amazing. for a ti bike that was too flexy and did end up cracking under my fat ass (seat tube crack anyone? ugghh...), it could RAIL turns. still working on getting my confidence up there with my custom steel frame now, but it does the same thing when i'm brave enough to ask it.

stien
03-02-2012, 10:34 PM
When I first started biking (mtn biking) I was using toe clips. I remember feeling a huge difference in control and efficiency when I went to clipless. Since then I've gone from thumbshifters to rapid fire, 7 spds to 10, square taper to external BB, Ergo, STI, Double Tap, but nothing made as big a difference as toe clips to clipless.

Square taper BBs spin soo much better than the external bearings that I've used (megaexo and Shimano, DA and Ultegra, even brand new), but that's neither here nor there.