PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between a quality hub and a mediocre hub?

Fishbike
02-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Question pretty much says it. What characteristics separate a quality hub from a mediocre hub? Spinning? Durability? Finish? Sound?

Louis
02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Flange placement is also important.

rkalams
02-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Question pretty much says it. What characteristics separate a quality hub from a mediocre hub? Spinning? Durability? Finish? Sound?

I will say the following:

Quality/Durability of Aluminum Used - Some hubs are softer than others which lead to broken flanges and deformed spoke holes
Pawl & Pawl Spring Design
# of Engagement Points
Weight
Serviceability
Bearing Quality

nightfend
02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
I would argue that most hubs now use the same quality bearings (with a few exceptions like Shimano, or a wheelset that uses ceramics). For the most part, everyone uses fairly generic sealed bearings. But the number of bearings used and their placement and serviceability are huge factors.

Also, the easy of replacing the cassette body has got to be on the list. Especially with aluminum Shimano compatible bodies that get nicked up fairly quickly.

Louis
02-29-2012, 03:45 PM
I just thought of another: seal quality.

I've run basic Shimano hubs for ages and ages in all sorts of rainy conditions without having to clean out / rebuild the hubs. A while back I rode some Topolino hubs in sometimes heavy rain for about 3 hrs and the rear hub managed to pick up all sorts of grit and crud, forcing me to rebuild it.

Fixed
02-29-2012, 03:51 PM
maintenance
cheers

tv_vt
02-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Mentioned briefly in previous post: material used in freehub. Most are aluminum to cut down weight. The good ones use titanium, like Shimano 7700 and 7900, White,..

Do they come with a good skewer (like Campy and Shimano) or none at all (like most of them)?

Suppose number of pawls in freehub, too. I've had no problems with the 2-pawl Mavic hub, but others really diss it.

Did anyone mention noise? I don't like LOUD hubs!

Having lots of drilling options is nice, too (24, 28, 32 hole, etc).

rain dogs
02-29-2012, 05:12 PM
As I understand it, generally, a lower quality hub will be machined whereas a higher quality hub will be machined and then forged.

Forging is expensive due to high equipment costs, but that "hammering" of the hub into shape makes for a stronger shell body than without.

giverdada
02-29-2012, 06:06 PM
As I understand it, generally, a lower quality hub will be machined whereas a higher quality hub will be machined and then forged.

Forging is expensive due to high equipment costs, but that "hammering" of the hub into shape makes for a stronger shell body than without.

true that. i broke a single flange in pieces with a bunny hop gone awry, and it was as blingy cnc as i could get.

HOWEVER: CNC vs. Forging is a great debate, and as i understand it as well, forging is more present among mass produced items, and is often stronger, BUT if soft aluminum (like the white industries') or CNC flanges are laced properly, and going a route other than radial helps with this, then the flanges should hold. fairwheel bikes' hub review mentioned the possibility of spokes seating better in the softer 6000 series aluminum of white industries hubs. and the ringle superbubba i broke was totally incorrectly laced for bling factor (that i didn't understand any more than the engineering fault) - radial non-drive, 3x drive. i digress.

ease of maintenance, non-proprietary parts/tools (chris king cones? puh-leeeease...), durability, beauty.

i don't find weight to be a huge deal, but it's nice when things aren't tanks like my campy 8-speed chorus rear. beautiful though...

Viper
02-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Weight
Strength
Friction
Spock kicks arse
New Star Trek
Science fiction