PDA

View Full Version : Feeler for a Northern New England Ramble

MattTuck
02-29-2012, 03:18 PM
As a complement to William's Rhode Island Ramble, I'm curious if there's any interest in having a forum ride in Northern New England. I'm thinking VT/NH, and could come up with a variety of terrain from flat roads along rivers to mountain passes.

Just curious if there's such interest. This would be a supplemental ride, not competition to William. And I'd think it would happen in the early Fall, maybe Mid-September.

nighthawk
02-29-2012, 03:35 PM
I may be interested, depending on how far north. I'm just south of VT in western, MA. Got a sense of where in the state(s)?

William
02-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Depending on when and where I could be in. :cool:

William

MattTuck
02-29-2012, 03:42 PM
I may be interested, depending on how far north. I'm just south of VT in western, MA. Got a sense of where in the state(s)?

Depends on the numbers of people involved and what they wanted to get out of it, in terms of distance and terrain. I am in the Upper Valley which has a ton of great roads. If people wanted bigger hills (I think the biggest ones around here are probably ~1,000 ft. of climbing, we could go up to the White Mountains in NH, or possibly ride out the Chelsea, VT. There are some nice hills out that way. If people are more interested in flat, the roads along the river are relatively flat.

At this point, I'm just curious if there's interest. If so, there are many options to make people happy.

BumbleBeeDave
02-29-2012, 03:43 PM
. . . and I would definitely be interested.

BBD

Bruce K
02-29-2012, 03:46 PM
I'd be intetested but now you're getting into cross season so I'd have to check the race schedule

BK

tv_vt
02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
I think I live across the river from MattTuck. Count me in as route consultant and, hopefully, participant.

Thom

tele
02-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm intrigued....wont have a definite answer until some more details emerge.

Kevin

4Rings6Stars
02-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Add me to the "interested" camp but can't commit. Also interested in the RI Ramble but my grad school and CPA review courses this summer have every saturday booked :(

pitonpat
02-29-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm in as long as it's not the first weekend of September......I'm riding the 3 Notches Century (from North Conway, NH) that weekend.

dsimon
02-29-2012, 06:29 PM
can you do it the 2nd thru 9 April Ill be in the area then :beer:

mistermo
02-29-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm intrigued....wont have a definite answer until some more details emerge.

Kevin

ditto. For me, there's a big difference between norther VT/NH and southern.

AngryScientist
02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
matt -

pm'd ya. a few of us were thinking about a vt 6-gap ride in the sept timeframe. we may be able to work something together. :beer:

572cv
02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
if the timing is right. I'm in northwestern VT, what we call the West Coast of New England... we'll see what emerges for a date.

AgilisMerlin
02-29-2012, 07:44 PM
climbing notches turns a ramble into rumble

tv_vt
03-01-2012, 08:03 AM
I've posted links in the Rides section to two organized rides in Vermont and New Hampshire, if you're just looking for some great rides up here. See the Prouty and Tour de Kingdom. Both have up to two day, back to back Century options.

The Prouty is a cancer fundraiser - the two day Ultimate requires some pretty steep fundraising, but is a great event. Mid-July.

The Tour de Kingdom is a lower key event run out of northern Vermont (based in Newport) and features a 'granfondo' - back to back timed centuries Saturday and Sunday. Early June.

These two events have been among the highlights of my summer biking the last few years.

Thom

achurch
03-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Would be driving down from Montreal. Sounds like fun!

eippo1
03-01-2012, 09:39 AM
I'd be interested, especially since I'll be out of town for D2R2 and am looking for another great ride in awesome country.

BumbleBeeDave
03-01-2012, 10:05 AM
. . . Ultimate is indeed $2500, but it looks like that's only for their 200 mile :eek: challenge ride. They also have individual adult registration that's only $150 minimum and it looks like you can do anything up to and including the Century for each day for that.

Looks like the Tour de Kingdom would be $200 for the two weekend days of riding. Those costs seem fairly reasonable to me for supported, cued and mapped rides. The TdK web site also has quite a few photos and it looks like a beautiful area.

The TdK is June 2-3 wekeend, and Prouty is July 14-15. Either one could be doable for me. especially if there's anynbody attending who would be interested in sharing a motel room.

BBD

AngryScientist
03-01-2012, 10:08 AM
. . . Ultimate is indeed $2500, but it looks like that's only for their 200 mile :eek: challenge ride. They also have individual adult registration that's only $150 minimum and it looks like you can do anything up to and including the Century for each day for that.

Looks like the Tour de Kingdom would be $200 for the two weekend days of riding. Those costs seem fairly reasonable to me for supported, cued and mapped rides. The TdK web site also has quite a few photos and it looks like a beautiful area.

The TdK is June 2-3 wekeend, and Prouty is July 14-15. Either one could be doable for me. especially if there's anynbody attending who would be interested in sharing a motel room.

BBD

those both sound fine, but i'd be more interested in riding with a small group of good guys than doing a charity ride. Unsupported exploring up in that neck of the woods is good times, particularly if someone in the group is familiar with the territory. just my 2-cents.

BumbleBeeDave
03-01-2012, 10:22 AM
those both sound fine, but i'd be more interested in riding with a small group of good guys than doing a charity ride. Unsupported exploring up in that neck of the woods is good times, particularly if someone in the group is familiar with the territory. just my 2-cents.

. . .but there's also something to be said for having maps and support and know someone familiar with the area has mapped out the ride.

BBD

jh_on_the_cape
03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
I will be in the mad river valley the 4th of july week.

I had hoped to bring my road bike to stop into fitwerx, and hope to ride the app gap, lincoln gap loop. maybe then roxbury gap / rochester gap on the other side (different day).

so if it's near there i would like to stay in the loop.

Ti Designs
03-01-2012, 11:51 AM
. . .but there's also something to be said for having maps and support and know someone familiar with the area has mapped out the ride.

Isn't that what locals are for? I remember on the Giro Del Toga some guy took us on a really great loop with a nice little climb, and a store to stop and get drinks. Do you really need more than that?

merlinmurph
03-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Isn't that what locals are for? I remember on the Giro Del Toga some guy took us on a really great loop with a nice little climb, and a store to stop and get drinks. Do you really need more than that?
Besides, there aren't a whole lotta roads, i.e. options, to screw up on

MattTuck
03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
climbing notches turns a ramble into rumble

When I read that, I just had to make this graphic. Too funny.

Consider this a teaser. There's enough interest from this thread, I'll try to put something small together this year, even if it is just a small group. If successful, maybe something bigger next year.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ckw6EKn4p0M/T0_DIEdF-6I/AAAAAAAAAmg/NHjskMvyC7w/s912/Picture2.png

Tom
03-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Maybe I take you guys up Ascutney or something.

Not living there any more but siblings and parents are scattered about. My sister has said more than once that she'd be glad to lodge a training camp in her place north of Orford when she's not doing writer's retreats and whatnot. She does have an enormous house, head up the hill and you wind up over by the Kancamagus, down the hill and you're in the river valley. Lots of choices.

Ti Designs
03-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Maybe I take you guys up Ascutney or something.

Ascutney is the training hill I've reserved for doing really stupid things, like not taking coaching seriously enough and showing up with a 42x25 as a low gear - ouch. By far the dumbest thing so far has been the ride up and back on the fixed gear. The ride us was hard, but I expected that. The ride back down almost killed me. So now I'm thinking ride out (110 miles), meet the group, ride up, ride back down, eat a lot, have a few beers, ride back home. Yup, that's just about stupid enough! Sign me up!

avalonracing
03-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I stayed at a friend's family house in Brandon two years ago and rode some of the Gaps. It was great and I'd be up for doing that again.

beungood
03-10-2012, 09:13 AM
I love Vermont and New Hampshire ,I would be interested.