PDA

View Full Version : NJ Cycling (Areas conducive to learn for Wife)

mdeeds71
02-29-2012, 12:50 PM
My wife has her new Colorado (thanks to Cyclesport :banana: ) and has been riding on the trainer and for a few days in Florida. I am looking for areas (parks, certain city areas, etc) that would be conducive to her learning and getting more comfortable before doing any pack riding or busier city riding. She is getting used to her speedplays (first time with clipless), handling and shifting still.

Any insights would be great.

As well...trying cross out this year...good courses for training?

Will be moving back to Easton/Allentown PA and will be looking for same there in late spring.

Thanks,

AngryScientist
02-29-2012, 12:53 PM
what part of NJ are you in?

bumknees
02-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Assuming that you're not too far from Cyclesport, 9W is good -- a good mix of flat and hills, with a sizable shoulder.

Of course, I wouldn't take her there until she's completely comfortable with basic handling and clipping in and out. That's what parking lots are for

Nooch
02-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Will be moving back to Easton/Allentown PA and will be looking for same there in late spring.

Thanks,

For this, I know the Bil Strickland (of Bicycling fame, author of Tour de Lance) has a nighttime cross practice during the fall, but I can't recall the details... if you're on twitter hit him up, @TrueBS -- He's a really nice dude and replies to most.

For NJ, come up to cyclesport and have Ramon lead you out on the 'B' Ride either Wednesday evening or Saturday morning -- they'll usually roll out to Piermont, it's a no drop ride, and a great group of people.

Drew (from cyclesport)

fiamme red
02-29-2012, 01:12 PM
If you're near Park Ridge, try the Saddle River path.

gsvelodrome
02-29-2012, 01:49 PM
D&R Canal Bike path, which is completely Flat and goes from New Brunswick NJ to Trenton, then Trenton to Frenchtown.

Also if your around Central NJ, Come try out the Track in Wall, NJ. www.gsvelodrome.com

This will allow her to get used to riding without cars and slowly being added to a group when she's ready. We do allow road bikes for some events and training, and the banking is shallow enough for a beginner or the infield is paved and flat.

sam - gsva

mdeeds71
02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
what part of NJ are you in?

Right now till May in Hackensack.

Thanks

d.vader123
02-29-2012, 11:18 PM
D&R Canal Bike path, which is completely Flat and goes from New Brunswick NJ to Trenton, then Trenton to Frenchtown.

Also if your around Central NJ, Come try out the Track in Wall, NJ. www.gsvelodrome.com

This will allow her to get used to riding without cars and slowly being added to a group when she's ready. We do allow road bikes for some events and training, and the banking is shallow enough for a beginner or the infield is paved and flat.

sam - gsvaDoes that paths start in New Brunswick, NJ and finishes in Bethlehem, PA? Does it stay flat during that entire time?

oldmill
03-01-2012, 05:37 AM
The D&R canal is indeed flat the whole way (well, maybe a slight grade...). It is gravel, but it's pretty smooth and is an excellent option. Once you're on the Delaware River there's a parallel path on the PA side, too. And if you get tired of the canal, the roads in that area offer some wonderful riding.

roydyates
03-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Does that paths start in New Brunswick, NJ and finishes in Bethlehem, PA? Does it stay flat during that entire time?
The Canal Towpath is entirely flat. It does start in New Brunswick but I don't think it goes to Bethlehem. The map on the official site
http://www.dandrcanal.com/park_index.html
seems to end in Milford.

Frankly, I'm not sure the Towpath is a great choice. It's fairly narrow, it's dirt, and it gets a lot of walkers and joggers on the weekend.The cyclists on the path all ride mountain bikes. Assuming your wife's Colorado has road tires, I wouldn't recommend it.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a flat scenic NJ ride, you could do a lot worse than the 20 or so miles from Riegelsville to Stockton.

veloduffer
03-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Another converted rail trail is the Columbia Trail (http://www.traillink.com/trail/columbia-trail.aspx) which is gravel, wide and flat. It is 11 miles long, so 22 round trip. I start in Long Valley, Morris Cty or you can start further south in High Bridge. Here's a list of trails in NJ: http://www.traillink.com/stateactivity/nj-bike-trails.aspx

fiamme red
03-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Right now till May in Hackensack.

ThanksThe Saddle River Area Bike Path is very close to you. It extends from Rochelle Park to Ridgewood.

http://www.traillink.com/trail/saddle-river-area-bike-path---bergen-county.aspx

AngryScientist
03-01-2012, 08:22 AM
The Saddle River Area Bike Path is very close to you. It extends from Rochelle Park to Ridgewood.

http://www.traillink.com/trail/saddle-river-area-bike-path---bergen-county.aspx

yea, and this time of year, it should be pretty clear to do some casual cycling. i used to run there all the time.

johnmdesigner
03-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Take the River road in the Palisade Park. Very few cars, parking lots to practice with your pedals and some good hill climbs. The upper road is now closed to cars for the season. You can easily get a 20 mile ride just staying in the park (up and back).

Not the Slowest
03-01-2012, 10:36 AM
As stated 9W can work if you choose to drive to the GWB Bridge and start there, plenty of weekend street parking.
From Hackensack you can also make your way towards Knickerbocker Road
that takes you towards Piermont with No hills until you reach there.

There is a nice shop in Tenafly that can help you out with routes, But I think 501 goes straight there.

Good Luck
Robert