PDA

View Full Version : Pinarello Paris

norcalbiker
02-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Anyone here have or own this frame?
Would like to hear your comment or input about this frame/bike.
Thinking of buying a frame to replace my Look 585 and tranfer all my components.

TIA

dekindy
02-29-2012, 11:00 AM
My buddy is a recreational rider that switched from a Synapse to System Six because he wanted a little more performance and thought the ride of the SS was smooth enough for long rides. PP was way too stiff for his taste. Hope that helps.

the bottle ride
02-29-2012, 11:19 AM
I liked the Prince- I had the opportunity to ride it for about a weeks worth of rides (150-200 miles). It was nice bike, but was clearily thoroughbred- it was a rocket on short hills. But you feel EVERYTHING on the road. But there was something to it...

Look 585 is no slouch either as a race bike, but I thought the ride was more refined- less rode buzz etc. I also happen to like the way they look better so I may be biased.

Given the choice between one or the other I would take the Look.

For reference, I prefer the ride of road bikes that mute more of the road.

I really want to try a KOBH...

cfox
02-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Carbon Pinarellos are super stiff. I rode a Dogma Carbon for a while and it bounced me all over the road. I am pretty light, so maybe that had something to do with it, but it felt borderline unstable to me.

christian
02-29-2012, 12:18 PM
I also want to ride a KOBH. One of the only carbon bikes I'd be genuinely excited to ride for a day.

norcalbiker
02-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Hmmmm.....

Maybe I should just hold on to my Look 585 and save me from spending. I don't have any problem issue with my 585. I have this bike for over 4 years now and I just thought it's time for a change.

KeithNYC
02-29-2012, 02:16 PM
I have an fp6 which is from the same mold as the Paris but uses a lower grade of carbon. Pinarello says this makes slightly heavier and a little less stiff than the Paris.

My point is the fp6 is extremely stiff and fairly harsh. So I'm glad I couldn't afford a Paris at the time..

I'm sure it makes for a fantastic race bike though...

tv_vt
02-29-2012, 02:18 PM
This must be the third or so thread I've seen lately about Look 585 owners getting bored with their ride, and then getting talked back into keeping it. This model has an awful lot of supporters on this forum.

Strikes me as a bit unusual for a carbon bike on a somewhat Ti and Steel Lovers Forum. I haven't seen too many other carbon frames get the kudos like this one. Well, maybe Time frames, too. And the usual custom suspects - Crumpton, Parlee, and Serotta, etc.

El Chaba
02-29-2012, 02:22 PM
.... PP was way too stiff for his taste...

Call your doctor if you have an erection that lasts for more than three hours.....

sailorboy
02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
monococque carbon frames are stiff...too stiff for some people. If you plan on putting stiff wheels like ksyriums or fulcrums on there and using clinchers, be prepared to be knocked around especially on less than perfect roads. Yea, it'll feel like a rocket under acceleration, but there is a price to pay for that.

Go with lugged carbon like a Serotta HSG or similar if you want smoothness AND performance from carbon but with proven race geometry

rice rocket
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
monococque carbon frames are stiff...too stiff for some people. If you plan on putting stiff wheels like ksyriums or fulcrums on there and using clinchers, be prepared to be knocked around especially on less than perfect roads. Yea, it'll feel like a rocket under acceleration, but there is a price to pay for that.

Go with lugged carbon like a Serotta HSG or similar if you want smoothness AND performance from carbon but with proven race geometry
:rolleyes:

tiretrax
02-29-2012, 06:49 PM
The Paris is too whippy in my view, but a very nice bike. I nearly bought a 585 4 or 5 years ago, but opted for another bike. On a trip a few years ago, I rented a 595. I thought that was a fantastic bike.

dekindy
03-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Call your doctor if you have an erection that lasts for more than three hours.....

I would not know but thanks for sharing your vast experience with us.

JEMM
04-02-2013, 08:46 PM
:banana:

HugoBear
04-02-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't think it is worth it. I want to like the Pinarello Paris but have not been overly impressed with it when I have ridden it. If I were in the position you describe, I would keep the Look or explore a Cannondale EVO. I have a R3 and am considering moving away from CF but am not sure that makes sense. Good luck.

kramnnim
04-02-2013, 09:08 PM
I've been very happy with my 586. My 585 is now only used in bad weather.

majl
04-03-2013, 01:18 AM
You should buy it. It will make you faster.

2wheelwill
04-03-2013, 02:09 AM
I just built up a Paris frameset I bought here a few months ago. I love it. Stiff, responsive but stable, and sweet to look at.

Don't mean to start a big debate but I think all this talk about certain frames being too rough is BS.

Yes, the Paris is a stiff race bike. But seriously, run your tires at 80psi instead of 95psi and the bike is as comfy as my Serotta Atlanta. I also own a caad 9 and can make that bike ride like a Cadillac with the right wheel/tire/pressure selection. I personally think bike companies have convinced us that you need a certain bike for racing, one for centuries, one for fondos, etc. Pretty soon they'll be telling us we need one for asphalt and one for gravel.....:eek: