PDA

View Full Version : Calfee?

dsimon
08-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Has anyone had any experiances with there bikes? if so can you tell me the goods and the bads thanks :D

Air Jer
08-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Excellent reputation they have! I've not ridden one but those who have extol their virtues. I am sure many will respond shortly with even more detail and depth. However, if carbon fiber is one's desire, hang around and Serotta will sell you one for $8,000. (Sorry but I still don't get it.) :argue:

Smiley
08-20-2005, 01:25 PM
CSI , check with our resident authority on everything plastic , none other then Calfee Kevan , pm him unless he's out riding his funky fade Serotta colorado :banana:

Chief
08-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Great carbon bikes.

EPOJoe
08-20-2005, 02:31 PM
I just replaced my OCLV which was unceremoniously whacked by a poor driver (with me on it!) with a Calfee Tetra Pro. I'm a VERY happy camper :banana: . Has all the great CF attributes as well as a truly high quality feel and look in manufacturing and design. The Ti dropouts are beautiful. Not sure of what you like in a bike, but I'd say it's worth a test ride, that's for sure.

*Saxon- posting on EPO's computer* EPO is still riding his OCLV... until he gets wacked*

CalfeeFly
08-20-2005, 02:53 PM
I own 2 Calfee's and obviously I love them. Calfee has a forum as well you can access it at calfeedesign.com There was an older forum called phorum that can be accessed there as well.

I do not remember any negative comments from owners. We are a very pleased and happy group. It rides great, climbs wonderfully and is stiff with no flex.

Their service is first rate. Craig is there to talk with as well should you have any questions. The only difference in his frames from the least expensive up is weight. They all ride and handle superbly. This is something Craig is very proud of.

Lemond raced on Calfee's at towards the end of his career. He still owns 2.

jeffg
08-20-2005, 02:59 PM
but I tried hard to like them and just could not. Being close to Santa Cruz at the time, it seemed a perfect match. I have ridden all three models, and liked the ride of the Tetra best, but I like my Parlee much better. The main knock I have against Calfee is their geo, which I find is more suited to criteriums than riding in the mountains. Sure you can go custom for a major upcharge, but then again, it seems as if this is not the forum where one can talk about price ;)

I just rode my Legend today and it confirmed I love this bike and will never sell it, but boy a new one would be out of my price range ...

oldguy00
08-20-2005, 03:05 PM
but I tried hard to like them and just could not. Being close to Santa Cruz at the time, it seemed a perfect match. I have ridden all three models, and liked the ride of the Tetra best, but I like my Parlee much better. The main knock I have against Calfee is their geo, which I find is more suited to criteriums than riding in the mountains. Sure you can go custom for a major upcharge, but then again, it seems as if this is not the forum where one can talk about price ;)

I just rode my Legend today and it confirmed I love this bike and will never sell it, but boy a new one would be out of my price range ...

Yes, they are more like a Cannondale geometry, which for some might be bad, some good. Their 'custom' charge is about $300 I believe, which still puts them cheaper than most of their competitors.... You can also get head tube and seat tube extensions free of charge on the tetra (I think),

jeffg
08-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Yes, they are more like a Cannondale geometry, which for some might be bad, some good. Their 'custom' charge is about $300 I believe, which still puts them cheaper than most of their competitors.... You can also get head tube and seat tube extensions free of charge on the tetra (I think),

True. Custom charge is $500 for a Tetra and $1000 for a DFly, so a tag of about $4500 for a DFly custom.

oldguy00
08-20-2005, 03:21 PM
True. Custom charge is $500 for a Tetra and $1000 for a DFly, so a tag of about $4500 for a DFly custom.

At 2895 for a custom tetra, I'm guessing thats much less than a Parlee with custom geometry. Parlee doesn't seem to list their prices on their new website though.

jeffg
08-20-2005, 03:37 PM
At 2895 for a custom tetra, I'm guessing thats much less than a Parlee with custom geometry. Parlee doesn't seem to list their prices on their new website though.

The comparison would be a Z1 custom to a DFly. I think the prices are pretty close now. When I bought my Hampsten in late 2003 a custom DFly was almost $4K and my Hampsten/Z1x was $2900. A Z1 now runs about $4K. Craig was able to trade on his name more than Bob back then and the prices reflect that.

DfCas
08-20-2005, 03:46 PM
I have the Luna Pro,the cheapest model,and it is a pleasure to ride.I've had it since 5/02,and its the first frameset I've had that kept me from looking at other frames.I just can't ask for it to be stiffer,more comfy or responsive.I'd like to find a high end Serotta to ride in my size,but there are no dealers in my area.

As far as stock geometry,I've heard the criticism that they are crit geo's.I was a little concerned before I bought without a test ride,but I really like the handling.I don't race road or crits but I like the handling.

IN MY SIZE 60,compared to Parlee,the bottom bracket of the Calfee is 3mm lower,and the other angles are the same,so I don't understand the claims that Calfee's are more crit like than Parlee.I don't know about smaller sizes.

With the influx of cheaper Taiwan made carbon frames,I wonder how Calfee,Parlee,and now Serotta are gonna do.I hope they do well,for without innovaters things will go stale soon.

dan

1centaur
08-20-2005, 03:57 PM
I have lots of nice bikes and love carbon - have a Calfee Tetra Pro, a Crumpton and a Parlee Z1x. They are all very high quality bikes - I rode the Parlee and Calfee today back to back and have no complaints about either - construction is top notch. Very few bikes have the consistent enthusiatic following of Calfee, so if you like CF, like the looks and the geometry works for you, you won't go wrong with a Calfee.

rnhood
08-20-2005, 03:59 PM
I have a Tetra Custom. The custom part in my case is that it is built with the geometry figures that Serotta specified on their standard 62cm frames. These figures are just a touch relaxed from the geo figures used by Calfee on their standard frame (equivilent size). I did this on the advice of the dealer who, by the way, also sells Serotta.

The Tetra an effortlessly efficient bicycle. The moment I step on the pedal the bike just zooms away. I have no chain rub under any circumstances, not even when I am mashing my full weight of 200+ lbs plus any additional force I can generate. The bottom bracket is simply immobile, period. Big difference from other bikes that I have owned in the past. Going uphill on this bike is a lot different than any bike that I have owned in the past. No longer do I dread it. I merely slow down and keep a steady consistent pace - and enjoy it.

On the road the ride is quiet and refined. It feels damped, but not dead like some carbon bikes can feel. It's always a pleasure to be cruising and manuevering on good paved roads. Handling manners are nimble and precise. It goes exactly where I point it - quickly, and without hesitation or restraint.

As the condition of the roads degrade, ie., pot holes, ruts, discontinuities, variable gravel, etc., the ride also noticeably degrades. And when hitting ruts and potholes, the feedback is abrupt and instant. The frame is very stiff in this respect. Brutally stiff I might say. One has to always watch the road ahead and prepare in advance for imperfections like ruts and potholes. I have compensated for the stiffness by adjusting tire pressure to 100 lbs and this has been a godsend. I still have to watch for potholes but, the gravel stuff and ordinary chips here and there are no longer bothersome.

Fast descents are a blast. Here the bike feels very stable and in full control. Sometimes I think going downhill is what this bike does best - it's manners seem impeccable.

To sum up; the bike comes out of the stiff, lightweight racer style camp. Efficiency is absolutely top-notch, handling manners are very competent, and the ride, well, it sort of depends on the road. On smooth roads I don't know how it could be any better. On rough roads it's acceptable - though at times I wish for a bit more forgiving nature.

And lastly, Shimano 10-speed (Dura-Ace in my case) has also instilled it's fair share of riding pleasure. The smooth, precise and reliable shifting performance is indeed something to write home about.

1centaur
08-20-2005, 04:18 PM
At that size frame, did you get the super stiff tubes? I specified extra stiff on my stock 58, and I don't think of the Tetra as unusually stiff when it comes to road feedback - Calfee uses thicker CF than some (frames are a little heavier than others) and I find it damps all road bumps including the big ones better than others (without being dead at all - it's comfortable but provides good feedback).

You get all gears without chain rub? Including cross chaining 39-11 or 39-12? I have never had a bike do that even without load - how many trims do you get on your DA10?

Your relaxed geometry probably has a lot to do with descending prowess. The one knock on Calfee's stock geometry is twitchy handling - that it's more of a crit bike (this is not a universal opinon, just the one negative you occasionally hear in a chorus of praise just about no other bike, perhaps excluding Serotta, enjoys). I certainly think a custom Tetra is a great choice for people who know what they are doing with geometry.

Kevan
08-20-2005, 04:49 PM
but I was busy riding mine. I own a Luna and can't imagine needing a better CF bike than this one. This model is a terrific deal and Craig himself says it has the same exact ride characteristics as that of the Tetra ( I will tell you the Dragonfly feels differently to me.). The build using gussets, those webbed extensions on the lugs which are so trademark Calfee, and either you love'm or hate'm, add the stability that makes this one super frame.

That said, I enjoy my Serotta too for the differences in character it offers. I see a future of more and different bikes, and the Calfee will stay on in the mix.

My 14 yr old son has a sparkle in his eye invisioning the day he gets it. I'm squeezing tennis balls, keeping my hand strength up.

rnhood
08-20-2005, 05:41 PM
1Centaur, yes my Tetra has the super stiff tubes. The stiffest offered. And, it is evident. I don't notice any chain ring rub even when cross-chained. However, I don't remember purposefully mashing it in this gearing trying to get rub. I may have, but I just don't remember right now. I have ridden this gearing and certainly don't recall any rub though. If a shift doesn't quite end up correct for whatever reason, one trim and it's perfect.

Some would probably not even consider my bike stiff but, we all have our preferences and I am probably a bit more sensitive to stiffness than others. However, my Tetra is not as stiff as some others like the Klein I rode before. The general road feel I get from the Calfee is superb - especially on good pavement.

BumpyintheBurgh
08-20-2005, 06:17 PM
I own a Tetra Pro and it's a great ride but so is my Legend Ti and CSI. In addition to the bike's reputation, geometry, fit and ride, I think it's also important to examine the monetary value.
For example compare:
Calfee Tetra Pro - $2395 frame only
Leopard Carbon - $2499 (complete bike including Ultegra shifters, brakes, FD, RD, cassette, chain, FSA Platinum Pro Ti bottom bracket, Carbon compact crankset, carbon fork, handlebars, stem, seatpost, Velomax Circuit wheelset, and Fizik Arione saddle.
I'm not trying to promote Leopard but that seems to be a hell of a bargain plus they throw in free shipping, lifetime frame warranty and a 30 day try it, if you don't like it return it for your money back guarantee.
Sure it's made in Taiwan not California, isn't high modulus, may be bonded with Superglue and is probably prone to galvanic corrosion but is the Calfee that much better that you'll notice the difference other than the amount of cash in your wallet.
There are so many carbon frames available now and so much marketing hype that the choice can be mind numbing. My advice, forget the Calfee, sell your first born and make that down payment on a Serotta Meivici. At $8,000 doesn't it have to be the best.

dnovo
08-21-2005, 08:20 AM
I could not be more pleased with my Dragonfly Pro. I replaced my Tetra Pro with the Dragonfly a few years ago, and have many happy miles on it. A great group of people to deal with, as well, who are dedicated to making their customers happy. Go for it. Dave N.

CJH
08-21-2005, 08:44 AM
How about Crumpton! $2700 full custom incl. forks! Lot's of great reviews on this forum just search the older threads! If and when I go carbon I'd certainly consider one unless by then Mike Burrows has come out with a nice monocoque road creation hmmm. Now that would be something to write home about!!! :bike:

1centaur
08-21-2005, 12:39 PM
"How about Crumpton!"

Since I own both - yes, a very reasonable choice. Still have not done my official comparo, but have been riding the Calfee the last 2 days after a lot of time on the Crumpton and the Parlee and I'd say the Crumpton is a very equivalent choice that might get the nod vs. Calfee for weight (mine was 1089 grams before paint for a 57ish with a 2 degree sloping TT - no massive slope to reduce frame weight), wider tubes (if you dig that aesthetic) and a wishbone fork is for some reason you don't like the Calfee gussets or the narrower tubes - ridewise they are very similar; last time I checked Nick's warranty was 10 years and Calfee's was 25 - though we'll all be riding something nano by then :) Nick is very easy to work with too, and understands that paint can be very important to the buyer.

Saxon
08-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Yesterday was the first time I had a chance to do any serious climbing and descending on my Tetra. Just a joy on the big hills. I'm trying to think of something to say that's not a cliché... Effortless has been mentioned before, so I'll go with that. Effortless! I had more fun on the descents, though. Lively and stable. It took the fast, downhill corners with authority and just felt groovy. The only detraction I can find with this particular bike (with Race-X-lite wheels) is that it seems to take the big ruts and bumps with a substantial jolt. That's what steel's for, I guess. It makes a great counterpoint to my CSi.