PDA

View Full Version : Which one is a better workout?

norcalbiker
02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
2 to 3 miles jog or 1 hour on a stationary bike?

Which one of these will make you a stronger rider?

Fixed
02-28-2012, 07:09 PM
lot of variables there .

imho :beer:
usually people get better with practice
cheers

Louis
02-28-2012, 07:12 PM

At the same heart rate?

(either way, I don't know the answer, but I figure that it's relevant)

christian
02-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Assuming this is a serious question, and you're not considering periodization etc., I'd answer as follows:

A slow(ish) runner will run 3 miles in about 24-30 minutes, assuming a sub-LT effort. If expending the same effort (sub-LT), an hour's bike ride will be better for "making you a stronger rider."

MattTuck
02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Whichever one you're more likely to do. I hate running. I'd rather spend an hour doing one leg drills on the trainer than 10 minutes running.

For some people, running is the bee's knees.

beercan
02-28-2012, 08:05 PM
i would skip both and do intervals running or on the bike, but running is a good for your bone density

giverdada
02-28-2012, 08:11 PM
whichever one is harder/more difficult.

swimming is the hardest thing for me (other than all racquet sports), so it gives me the biggest workout. resistance in all directions through a dense medium. the tendency of myself to sink. insta-workout.

riding is the most efficient form of human-powered locomotion. you gotta do it pretty hard to have it be pretty hard. and then the workout happens.

running is definitely good for bone density, and i find it does more for my own cardio than riding, and then makes me a stronger rider because i have more muscles of higher strength able to move in more directions with great blood flow.

this should all have been preceded by the disclaimer that i know nothing and i'm terrible at all of the above-listed activities. :hello:

Orrery
02-28-2012, 08:25 PM
I love riding but in the city I find it hard to get a good workout in a short amount of time (stop lights, trying not to get hit by cars, etc). Long open stretches in calmer environs work better.

For me running gives me more bang for the buck.

Bob Loblaw
02-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Riding. But I may be biased. :beer:

BL

laupsi
02-29-2012, 05:34 AM
sport specific is what I would suggest. as for riding being so very efficient and therefore not that beneficial, hogwash! train smart and you will benefit.

despite the high impact effect that running has on your bones and joints, the human body, and yes even w/all the new fangled running shoes, was never designed to run on concrete/asphalt, etc..., over the long period most of us humans will have long term spine, knee and other joint related issues due to years of pounding our bodies into oblivion. if you're going to run do so on a trail or on a track that's suitable for running.

Kevan
02-29-2012, 05:40 AM
I had heard said that there's a 5:1 ratio in miles, cycling:running, in terms of physical workout. I don't know, but I do find running to be a lot harder.

AgilisMerlin
02-29-2012, 06:52 AM
do both, better for the head

rugbysecondrow
02-29-2012, 07:35 AM
Not really an apt comparison. A jog is not really a workout but rather the equivilant of an easy, slow ride. A 3 mile RUN, now that is a different story. I think that is likley more analogous to an hour on a stationary trainer as one will likley push it on a trainer, work on high tempo.

Which is more of a workout? Running will burn more calories per/min for an equivilant amount of exertion. I also think muscle fatigue sets in more quickly than cycling, so I think running is a better workout at the unit level. 60 minutes of stationary riding compared to approx 16-24 min (2-3 miles) of running though, the riding workout will be of course be better because you are working out more than twice as long.

I might also depend on what you are good at, what your goals are and your stength.

Fixed
02-29-2012, 08:50 AM
my dog and i jog/ walk 3 miles everyday . last night she was fired up and before i knew it we were running about a 7 min pace, we stop for her nature call start again bang pain in the groin . so now with my headaches,dizziness i can add groin strain . we walked this morning . i am going dig out my CycleOps Trainer today and give it a try ..
cheers :beer:

jmoore
02-29-2012, 09:04 AM
running sucks

verticaldoug
02-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Not really an apt comparison. A jog is not really a workout but rather the equivilant of an easy, slow ride. A 3 mile RUN, now that is a different story. I think that is likley more analogous to an hour on a stationary trainer as one will likley push it on a trainer, work on high tempo.

Joggers jog in place at stop lights. Runners stand there looking pissed off.

rugbysecondrow
02-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Joggers jog in place at stop lights. Runners stand there looking pissed off.

That is funny. I do push ups or jumping jacks. Not sure what that makes me.

:beer:

laupsi
02-29-2012, 09:09 AM

Which is more of a workout? Running will burn more calories per/min for an equivilant amount of exertion. I also think muscle fatigue sets in more quickly than cycling, so I think running is a better workout at the unit level. 60 minutes of stationary riding compared to approx 16-24 min (2-3 miles) of running though, the riding workout will be of course be better because you are working out more than twice as long.

I might also depend on what you are good at, what your goals are and your stength.

does better workout = burn more calories? are your getting a training specific workout? are both done at the equal HR's? where does your body feel most comfortable training, riding or running? are you in need of a change or workouts? are you attempting to cross train?

sorry, but these questions and more must all be factore into the final conclusion. the question, open as it was, if serious, should only be answered by a trained person, either yourself if you know your body well and you know your goals or a fitness instructor who also carries the same interest in your well being.

Gummee
02-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Over the years I've noticed that running helps my riding more than riding helps my running.

So I actually got out and *gasp* ran last nite. Ya see... its my 2-year anniversary of my first hash ever today. Yup. Started hashing 29Feb04! World Hash Day.

...and my legs are sore this AM. Since I haven't run a step in at least 6mos, I was expecting this. I managed to keep up with the pack. All I was looking to do. Once I got going, the legs remembered what to do. :thumb My stride opened up, I got going quicker, and things started to click.

M

killacks
02-29-2012, 09:24 AM
I actually run more than I ride, currently. I think that the running has proven to be VERY beneficial to my cardiovascular fitness, to the extent that it is much easier for me to engage in low-high efforts on the bike, as well as recovering and repeating these efforts over the course of a ride.

I also echo the comments about more "bang for the buck" when running vs. cycling, in terms of time spent achieving personal fitness goals.

Finally, I don't always enjoy running, but I don't mind it as much as I used to.

rugbysecondrow
02-29-2012, 09:31 AM
does better workout = burn more calories? are your getting a training specific workout? are both done at the equal HR's? where does your body feel most comfortable training, riding or running? are you in need of a change or workouts? are you attempting to cross train?

sorry, but these questions and more must all be factore into the final conclusion. the question, open as it was, if serious, should only be answered by a trained person, either yourself if you know your body well and you know your goals or a fitness instructor who also carries the same interest in your well being.

Indeed, it was opened ended but I guess I didn't take the question as seriously as you did as I find working out fun. Try something, see if it works, continue doing it or not. That is how I happend on to riding. The OP asked and folks are answering. Most people who both run and ride will testify that running take "more" than riding. There is no mechanical advantage,while riding, one can coast, down shift, pedal downhill etc, Running is more constant. HR being equal, running burns more calories but I also think that it is harder, thus pushing your body further for a good workout.

This is my bias peeking through, but I think most of us can benefit from cross training. Running/swimming/strength training/basketball etc all have some cross training attributes that can benefit riding. Being a one trick pony seems like a recipie for disaster and injury.

laupsi
02-29-2012, 09:46 AM
There is no mechanical advantage,while riding, one can coast, down shift, pedal downhill etc, Running is more constant. HR being equal, running burns more calories but I also think that it is harder, thus pushing your body further for a good workout.

This is my bias peeking through, but I think most of us can benefit from cross training. Running/swimming/strength training/basketball etc all have some cross training attributes that can benefit riding. Being a one trick pony seems like a recipie for disaster and injury.

at some point there ain't "nothin fun" about training. initially it's all pie in the sky, no? question referenced about riding on a trainer, not much "fun" in that either if you ask me and no "coasting".

if someone is "trained" as it were in running then the ave. HR would actully be lower while doing a routine jog as opposed to riding a trainer at a high cadence or w/ample resistance on a bike. the same is true if this person is an avid cyclist, running would tax the aerobic engine a bit more but the level of exertion would be perceived as much greater at anaerobic intensities given a decent amount of time involved during the effort while running.

not trying to be overly serious, my point is simple; there's much to the question at hand and opinions really don't serve well when there isn't much thought to the reasoning.

rugbysecondrow
02-29-2012, 09:50 AM
not trying to be overly serious, my point is simple; there's much to the question at hand and opinions really don't serve well when there isn't much thought to the reasoning.

I am trained up at both, as I do triathlons, so I can feel the difference in how my body reacts to both. I agree with your greater point, it is very open ended and more background is needed.

Fixed
02-29-2012, 09:52 AM
running is weight bearing it is always harder .
but not more fun ,
cheers imho :beer:

laupsi
02-29-2012, 10:25 AM
I am trained up at both, as I do triathlons, so I can feel the difference in how my body reacts to both. I agree with your greater point, it is very open ended and more background is needed.

and I do not run as I am a terrible, horrible, "heavy runner" despite weighing only 165 lbs. for me running is a chore better left to those like yourself who have the ability to do so... don't think I could ever adapt to it and therefore I would always choose riding, whether on the road on on the trainer.

rugbysecondrow
02-29-2012, 10:37 AM
and I do not run as I am a terrible, horrible, "heavy runner" despite weighing only 165 lbs. for me running is a chore better left to those like yourself who have the ability to do so... don't think I could ever adapt to it and therefore I would always choose riding, whether on the road on on the trainer.

I weigh 225, so I have had to work at not being a heavy runner. I understand completely. :beer:

giverdada
02-29-2012, 07:18 PM
sport specific is what I would suggest. as for riding being so very efficient and therefore not that beneficial, hogwash! train smart and you will benefit.

despite the high impact effect that running has on your bones and joints, the human body, and yes even w/all the new fangled running shoes, was never designed to run on concrete/asphalt, etc..., over the long period most of us humans will have long term spine, knee and other joint related issues due to years of pounding our bodies into oblivion. if you're going to run do so on a trail or on a track that's suitable for running.

http://maninblue1947.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/faujasingh3.jpg

giverdada
02-29-2012, 07:21 PM
oh, and i forgot: in case anyone is looking for the most bang for buck against the scale of TIME, it's running. it takes me forever to get ready for a ride, and i'd be well into a few miles by that time for running. got a half hour before picking up the kids? that's a good 5 miler. killer workout. arrive sweaty. take beasts home. got a half hour before picking up the kids? i might get the embrocation on my right knee done by that time, and only if i didn't screw up and put it on before the chamois butter...

MattTuck
02-29-2012, 07:24 PM
That is funny. I do push ups or jumping jacks. Not sure what that makes me.

:beer:

it makes you a bad ass.

rbtmcardle
02-29-2012, 07:33 PM
Running is terribly hard for me, I have spent my entire life speed skating and cycling... And though it has done wonders for my legs and aerobic capacity... I can't run to save my life... I probably should run, as it would most certainly be the quickest kick for me aerobicly..

Best advice I will always remember from this forum... I think it was it designs.. Forgive me if it was someone else - generally we cyclists never ride hard enough, nor easy enough - for me that means, group rides generally aren't for training, they are for socializing, which for me is as important as the health benefits / training.

giverdada
02-29-2012, 08:53 PM
it makes you a bad ass.

rugby is rocky. i bet he does uppercuts and jabs too. that. is. awesome.

laupsi
03-01-2012, 05:37 AM
Forgive me if it was someone else - generally we cyclists never ride hard enough, nor easy enough - for me that means, group rides generally aren't for training, they are for socializing, which for me is as important as the health benefits / training.

come ride w/me, oxygen becomes awfully scarce after the first hour on my hard day

rugbysecondrow
03-01-2012, 07:55 AM
rugby is rocky. i bet he does uppercuts and jabs too. that. is. awesome.

That is my mental image when I am working out, the truth is likely something closer to this: :)

norcalbiker
03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
I asked this questions to see what everybody does.

I have done both in the past 2 days. Jog one night for 2.5 miles with some sprint here and there. Rode my stationary for a little more an hour last night.

After doing those and reading all the comments, I have decided to do both. I will riding my stationary more than jogging though. Simple because of the following:

1) I can drink while working out.
2) I can stop whenever I want or continue if I have the desire.
3) I watch TV while doing it. (biggest plus)
4) Check my email while spinning (LOL)
5) Won't be chase by a dog or get mug or get shot while jogging. (Live in a bad area).

Anyways, thank you for all the input.

Fixed
03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
I asked this questions to see what everybody does.

I have done both in the past 2 days. Jog one night for 2.5 miles with some sprint here and there. Rode my stationary for a little more an hour last night.

After doing those and reading all the comments, I have decided to do both. I will riding my stationary more than jogging though. Simple because of the following:

1) I can drink while working out.
2) I can stop whenever I want or continue if I have the desire.
3) I watch TV while doing it. (biggest plus)
4) Check my email while spinning (LOL)
5) Won't be chase by a dog or get mug or get shot while jogging. (Live in a bad area).

Anyways, thank you for all the input.
good decision imho
cheers

rockdude
03-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Which one of these will make you a stronger rider?

If you really want to be a stronger rider then ride your bike. This is comes from an ex competitive runner. Specificity is what you want. Any physiologist worth there salt will tell you that.

Running is not bad, it will help develop the cardo system but so does riding but in a more specific way. To take this further out, if you want to be a stronger Cyclocross racer you better not train like a road racer, or you will get you butt kicked. Training for what you want to be good at, is the best way to spend your time.