PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Socks...

veggieburger
02-28-2012, 01:47 PM
About 4 or 5 years ago, a friend introduced me to Merino wool-blended socks, and I haven't looked back. I don't think I wear 100% cotton anything, but to my overall comfort, the socks make the biggest difference. Teko, Smartwool, Bridgedales...some of my favorite brands.

I have heard Sierra Trading post has some good sock prices from time to time. Anywhere else I should be looking?

AngryScientist
02-28-2012, 02:07 PM
About 4 or 5 years ago, a friend introduced me to Merino wool-blended socks, and I haven't looked back. I don't think I wear 100% cotton anything, but to my overall comfort, the socks make the biggest difference. Teko, Smartwool, Bridgedales...some of my favorite brands.

I have heard Sierra Trading post has some good sock prices from time to time. Anywhere else I should be looking?

if there is an REI anywhere near you, that's a good place to browse. they have a very nice selection of wool typed socks for all purposes, from running to cycling to hiking. i believe they may even have their own house branded wool blend socks. i'm wearing a very nice pair of smartwool running socks right now from REI, as a matter of fact. love them. they really wear well too, i've had these for what seems like ages and they are still as snug and cushy as when i got them.

gdw
02-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Try Amazon, Moosejaw.com, The Sock Company, or Backcountrygear.com.

Two other top brands are Darn Tough from Vermont and Wigwam.

AngryScientist
02-28-2012, 02:10 PM
i have always said, if i were stupid rich, i would wear a new pair of socks every day, and just donate the used ones. that new sock feeling is the bees knees.

yatescc
02-28-2012, 02:16 PM
If you can swing it. Darn Tough socks are awesome. They are made in Vermont and come with a lifetime warranty.

http://darntough.com/

buldogge
02-28-2012, 02:22 PM
I usually just use Wigwam Hikers (everyday use), and Costco sells unbranded 'made in the usa' hiking socks that bear a striking resemblance to the Wigwams.

-Mark in St. Louis

veggieburger
02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
I usually just use Wigwam Hikers (everyday use), and Costco sells unbranded 'made in the usa' hiking socks that bear a striking resemblance to the Wigwams.

-Mark in St. Louis

Yes, those Costco socks are a great deal...

Steevo
02-28-2012, 02:57 PM
I love the Smartwool socks for hiking, cycling and skiing. I'm about to break in some new Ibex socks shortly. We'll see how they compare. I'm very happy with other offerings from Ibex.

MattTuck
02-28-2012, 03:03 PM
also check out http://www.dahlgrenfootwear.com for Alpaca awesomeness.

Louis
02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
This is a timely thread. I've been wearing my new Danners to work to break them in, and realized the other day that some of my hiking socks are over 30 years old...

buldogge
02-28-2012, 03:08 PM
I've never had alpaca socks...but...I've got a Kuhl alpaca "sweatshirt" and it is really comfy/nice!

-Mark

also check out http://www.dahlgrenfootwear.com for Alpaca awesomeness.

buldogge
02-28-2012, 03:09 PM
I'd say "stop being a cheapskate and buy some new ones"...but...I don't want you to divert funds from finishing the Kirk! :p

-Mark

This is a timely thread. I've been wearing my new Danners to work to break them in, and realized the other day that some of my hiking socks are over 30 years old...

Louis
02-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I'd say "stop being a cheapskate and buy some new ones"...but...I don't want you to divert funds from finishing the Kirk! :p

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

What can I say, my clothes tend to last a long time.

Germany_chris
02-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Army surplus store..

If you can take OD Green..they have a wool foot and cotton top and wear like iron..

wc1934
02-28-2012, 08:33 PM
+1 on the Wigwams, which can be purchased almost anywhere - rei, tj max etc

tetsuo
02-29-2012, 01:36 AM
check out ICEBREAKER for all your new zealand merino needs

TimmyB
02-29-2012, 02:18 AM
I'm a big fan of the house brand rei (organic) merino wool. Pick 'em up from rei-outlet.com and save a couple bucks. All of mine are from the outlet - don't look like blems to me! Once I got one pair, I gave up "regular" socks. Wool socks forever :beer:

EDIT: and the rei ones come in a variety of thicknesses depending on purpose!

Birddog
02-29-2012, 06:42 AM
There is at least one major maker that emblazons their sock with MERINO; closer inspection tells you that it is only around 20%. I can't remember which, but it is either Woolrich or Wigwam. Always check for % merino content. It should be 70% or more to be worth a flip.

echelon_john
02-29-2012, 06:50 AM
point6.com