PDA

View Full Version : Nice tires: Panaracer "Race Type D"

HenryA
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I've mostly enjoyed riding Vredesteins for a long while. But from time to time they become hard to get (especially the last year or so) and I've been on Continentals for the last year. I found the 4000s to be very delicate and replaced them with the heavy duty model, the 4000 4-Season. I found these to be really harsh riding but durable regarding road hazards and on the gravel road stretches I sometimes ride. I don't really like the Continental profile, preferring round profile tires. And they are expensive. That said, others may have different sensibilities and preferences.

Anyway here is the tire, second one down:

http://www.panaracer.com/road.php

They mounted up nicely, seemed very balanced and round. These tires remind me of the Vreds in ride quality and seem quite grippy. The extra "PT" belt should make them very puncture and tear resistant. We'll see about that. So far, with 300 miles on them, I am pretty happy with these tires.

If your LBS does not stock them, tell them they can get them from Quality. Expect to pay somewhere in the $50 range.

I'll keep posting as the miles rack up.

AngryScientist
02-28-2012, 01:12 PM
thanks for the rec.

vredestein tri-comps are some of my favorite all around tires out there. good ride feel, and pretty durable. i never really cared for any of the tires in the continental line, they are OK, but nothing special for the price.

steampunk
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
I just put a pair of Type A's in 25c's this past weekend. I was looking for a more durable tire than the Hutchinson Atom Comp 23c's I had. As I am also a 125lb rider comfort is tricky which prompted me to try the Type A's in the 25c size.

At 90F/90R psi they felt really good, almost like a car with a new well-damped suspension. Great road feel and feedback (grip in particular) inspires confidence.

Got to try the flat protection too. I found a very thin glass shard in the tire after my ride (think Indian arrowhead in miniature). It had cut a slit and embedded itself just under the tread like a splinter. Maybe just luck but this did not result in a flat. Construction appears robust.

For the weight curious, the 25c Type A's I got weighed in at 245g and 226g. Package label "spec" said 240g.

Just judging from my 1st 50 miles on them I too would recommend the Panaracer Type xx line.