PDA

View Full Version : the new serotta site is up

Climb01742
02-28-2012, 09:02 AM
thoughts?

http://www.serotta.com/#!

MattTuck
02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I like the simplicity. It just seems much more streamlined.

I think it looks a bit less polished than before, but I'd rather simplicity than overly complex polish.

I like the new strategy. We'll see if it works.

Elefantino
02-28-2012, 09:15 AM
I though I liked it!

fiamme red
02-28-2012, 09:17 AM
I like that there are now four main models, and that they dropped letters like SE and AE.

But there still isn't enough information on the site. For example, if I know nothing about Serotta's current models, and click on "Legend," there's a picture of a frame with carbon seatstays and one that is all titanium. Options like this need to be explained. Instead there's just some generic stuff:

THE LEGEND IS OUR MOST NOBLE BIKE

Individually engineered and crafted to bring out the champion in you. Introduced in 1993, the Legend is still the only frame available with a fully triple or double butted tubeset. Our in-house handcrafting give us an unprecedented ability to tune each frame to its rider.

cuda2k
02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
I agree there needs to be more information about each model. And the fact that "Individually engineered and crafted to bring out the champion in you." is the first sentence in each model's description is annoying at best imho. The whole thing is done in Flash, and I see very very little that couldn't be done better and certainly faster (and likely easier maintained) in standard html and a little basic javascript/jquery work.

bicycletricycle
02-28-2012, 09:55 AM
pretty sophomore looking. extremely underwhelmed.

fiamme red
02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
I agree there needs to be more information about each model. And the fact that "Individually engineered and crafted to bring out the champion in you." is the first sentence in each model's description is annoying at best imho.I didn't notice that. I agree.

Comparing the various models, these are the rather meaningless headlines for each:

THE MEIVICI IS PERFORMANCE

THE OTROTT IS OUR BEST-RIDING BIKE

THE LEGEND IS OUR MOST NOBLE BIKE

THE COEUR D'ACIER HAS A HEART OF STEEL

Also, I think the word "tuning" is a very generic way to describe the ride of a custom frame. We're not talking about pianos here.

In fact, we are able to tune everything about this bike to each rider.

Titanium and carbon have unique qualities that produce a bike that is light, stiff and infinitely tunable...

Our in-house handcrafting give us an unprecedented ability to tune each frame to its rider.

echelon_john
02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
wow. typos galore. lots of inconsistencies in type size/style. slow to load.

"...double or triple tubesets..."

"...what does it mean to have custom bicycle?"

"....fouder and owner Ben..."

ugh.

this is not a step forward. this is "hey, my nephew does websites."

gavingould
02-28-2012, 10:06 AM
being made in Flash forces a near worthless mobile version on iPhone/iPad.

i like that it scales up/down with browser window size, but the graphics and photos suffer pretty badly, especially on a big monitor.
the facebook/twitter/blogger icons aren't even aligned.

having built a few websites myself, i've always hated Flash because it's a pain in the ass to update content - which leads to never updating the content. could be that i'm a luddite though.

dave thompson
02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm glad someone else sees all this. I hope that the site is a work in progress and what's up there now is merely the beginning, a foundation. I dearly love Serotta and am dismayed to see it so pale. As it sits, the website is uninformative and lame. No snap or sizzle at all. As Dale Carnegie said..."sell the sizzle, not the steak".

rpm
02-28-2012, 10:10 AM
The answer to how Serotta should design its website is easy: Just copy the Seven site. Comparing the Serotta and Seven sites gives an insight into why one company is struggling and the other flourishing. Seven gets marketing and Serotta doesn't. That said, I still have an irrational affection for Serotta because their bikes are so darned good.

maximus
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Serotta is a premium product - their site should be a reflection of that. A company with so much history and sex appeal - I think this site fall very short of the mark. Their brand deserves better.

My career (http://www.allenhopper.com) is built on creating websites. I don't mean to be impolite - I just have a lot of thoughts on the new site - most of them not very positive.

fiamme red
02-28-2012, 10:15 AM
wow. typos galore. lots of inconsistencies in type size/style. slow to load.

"...double or triple tubesets..."

"...what does it mean to have custom bicycle?"

"....fouder and owner Ben..."

ugh.

this is not a step forward. this is "hey, my nephew does websites."Or these, which took me less than five minutes to find:

"We understand a Serotta is an investment that carefully consider and are committed to continuing our service long after your purchase is made."

"Serotta Peace of Mind crash protection program offers each new owner 5-year coverage for the frame and fork and means you can ride a Serotta hard and know your incvestment is protected."

"Absolutely nothing leaves our factories unless Ben himself can put his signiture on it."

timto
02-28-2012, 10:17 AM
pretty sophomore looking. extremely underwhelmed.

Agreed. I think they should have looked harder for a webdev company that would have pulled off a more sophisticated look. The image sizing is off (some stretch going on), the imagery and text still fail to fully delivery the quality and heritage going on that is apparent when you`re holding one of these in your hand.

A proper company that has a proven portfolio you can see and get a feel for will guide the whole process and ensure you've got a world class site. I think the first step that went sideways was when they chose the dev company.

fiamme red
02-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Then there's the bike gallery. I see much better bike photography on the forum galleries every day. The photo of the Meivici (red and blue carbon tint and gold dust), shot from below with the bike leaning against a wall, is completely uninspiring, to say the least.

FlashUNC
02-28-2012, 10:26 AM
The letter kerning and tracking alone makes me sad.

54ny77
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
at least they make good bikes.

websites, not so much.

:rolleyes:

roguedog
02-28-2012, 10:35 AM
+100 sadly

Was hoping for an update and got the wayback machine. 1997 anyone? I initially got the mobile site since I'm on my tablet. Went to full site and was amazed at what i saw. Why are 1 man framebuilder sites better??!

Also agree on the choice of flash being limiting and speaks to outdated understanding of their market and tech (html 5) or at least offer non flash site.

/rant

Sadness..

Agreed. I think they should have looked harder for a webdev company that would have pulled off a more sophisticated look. The image sizing is off (some stretch going on), the imagery and text still fail to fully delivery the quality and heritage going on that is apparent when you`re holding one of these in your hand.

A proper company that has a proven portfolio you can see and get a feel for will guide the whole process and ensure you've got a world class site. I think the first step that went sideways was when they chose the dev company.

maximus
02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
MAVIC'S WEBSITE ( http://www.mavic.com/)

Inspiring, innovative and premium.

Everything I would expect from Serotta.

As was said, they might not understand the value of good marketing. That or the budget just isn't there. At least there is a mobile version.

echelon_john
02-28-2012, 10:42 AM
it's not budget; there are freelancers all over the place who can produce VERY slick, sophisticated websites (as i'm sure you know) on a shoestring.

i honestly don't understand the thinking behind this.

to go live without proofreading doesn't speak to budget. it speaks to mismanagement or not giving a crap. with all the amazing focus on detail on the bikes i can't believe ben would let this see the light of day.

MAVIC'S WEBSITE ( http://www.mavic.com/)

Inspiring, innovative and premium.

Everything I would expect from Serotta.

As was said, they might not understand the value of good marketing. That or the budget just isn't there.

54ny77
02-28-2012, 10:44 AM
A good website, with lush detail, graphics and functionality the scale of what Serotta needs to be, I'd estimate starts at around $20k and goes up from there. So, you're probably right.

That said, I bet there's more than 1 good web designer on this forum with the passion for Serotta who could translate that passion in exchange for a frame. Win-win.

The current website does not do Serotta proud. They should've put a really nice 1 page placeholder up and worked on something proper in due course.

That or the budget just isn't there.

firerescuefin
02-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Cool site....in 1996.

Really don't want to pile on...but that's a step backwards :confused:

echelon_john
02-28-2012, 10:57 AM
this was a better option:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=102544&highlight=website

junkfood
02-28-2012, 11:03 AM

+1 Not overly "flashy" and not difficult to execute for competent designers.

Jake

BCS
02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Do we really need the phonetic pronunciation of LEGEND

This website does absolutely nothing to attract potential customers who might not be familiar with the brand. It makes a horrible first impression. If you know how well the bikes ride, the website might be meaningless. If you don't, you are probably going to look elsewhere

crownjewelwl
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
$3800 for a custom steel bike???

bagochips3
02-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Makes me think this was behind the design: "Oh, my nephew makes web sites!"

Either that or they got someone from Craigslist to do it for $500.

roguedog
02-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Dammit. Beat me to it!

As to budget.. i think good freelancers could have done a good job. And really if you're going all in on the direct to consumer model...your website IS your storefront - your ONLY storefront, your only voice, your only champion of your brand - isn't that worth more now than it ever did before?

maximus
02-28-2012, 11:10 AM
There are Wordpress templates that would do more them more justice.

I am part of a small digital firm comprised of guys who used to work various big agencies (ad firms and the like) on big budget corporate accounts. We moved on to work on to things we are passionate about - with a realistic view on our pricing and, in turn, the value we bring to our client.

That said, we would be hard pressed to deliver something custom with a contemporary content management system for anything less than 20k - honestly it would probably be north of that.

That sort of number delivers much more than just a website - its content creation, custom information architecture, marketing council, creative strategy, quality art direction -- and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Anyway, its frustrating to see a site like this go live for a brand that I actually feel a connection to (very literally because my ass sat on a Serotta for a long time ;)

I hope they can sort it out - and at the very least fix the typos.

fatallightning
02-28-2012, 11:11 AM
Terrible typefaces.

SamIAm
02-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Just horrible. Who is in charge at this point? Who is Ben listening to? We need an intervention.

bobswire
02-28-2012, 11:29 AM
You guys are merciless :bike:

I thought it was a new start and maybe rushed to get it up and running. Baby steps.
It's about the bike,even lf LA says it's not. Otherwise we'd all still be riding around on Schwinn Collegiate or Continentals. :rolleyes:

nighthawk
02-28-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure I hate is as much as everyone else. There's a huge amount of room for improvement that's for sure. The striking thing to me was the terribly poor quality of the photos (which might just be the monitor I'm viewing on). The bikes deserve to be better represented. Also, typos should be unacceptable.

Ben posted a message about the new site on his blog:

http://www.serotta.com/apps/blog

I was going to cut and paste it here, but didn't want to step on any toes. He invites people's thoughts on it, so perhaps some constructive criticism could be sent his way.

PQJ
02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I looked at the new site after reading through this thread. It isn't nearly as bad, imo, as many of you think. Probably definitely a work in progress. I like how Ben has simplified the product offering. However, pricing is still off the charts crazy.

nighthawk
02-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I will add this from Ben's blog:

"please remember…this is a soft launch and very much a work in progress. Within the next few weeks we’ll be posting new photos of 2012 production models and finish samples while continuing to add and refine content as we endeavor to bring the quality of our web and Facebook presence up to the level of our bicycles."

echelon_john
02-28-2012, 11:39 AM
I work on lots of websites which are soft launched. Still no excuse for typos or grammatical errors.

Hopefully Ben will listen to the many voices which are happy to give their 2 cents and refine/redo.

Although, and I say this with all due respect to the man for producing great bikes and innovations over the years, he seems a bit tone deaf when it comes to messaging/marketing.

FlashUNC
02-28-2012, 11:49 AM
I work on lots of websites which are soft launched. Still no excuse for typos or grammatical errors.

Hopefully Ben will listen to the many voices which are happy to give their 2 cents and refine/redo.

Although, and I say this with all due respect to the man for producing great bikes and innovations over the years, he seems a bit tone deaf when it comes to messaging/marketing.

+1.

When you're charging, at a minimum, $4k for a frame and fork, the site should feel like a premium experience. If you've cut back on your dealer network and this is your main customer facing portal, its gotta be spiffy and trick.

Things like "tripple butted tubing" don't cut it, soft launch or no.

Heck, Hampsten's site blows Serotta's away.

many_styles
02-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Flash sites are so 1999.

AngryScientist
02-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Still no excuse for typos or grammatical errors.

right on. Serotta should be showcasing their "attention to detail" - not making a mockery of it. that's what people are paying for, after all.

CunegoFan
02-28-2012, 11:58 AM
The whole thing is done in Flash, and I see very very little that couldn't be done better and certainly faster (and likely easier maintained) in standard html and a little basic javascript/jquery work.

Homey don't do Flash. I absolutely despise sites that are all Flash.

krhea
02-28-2012, 11:59 AM
There are Wordpress templates that would do more them more justice.

I am part of a small digital firm comprised of guys who used to work various big agencies (ad firms and the like) on big budget corporate accounts. We moved on to work on to things we are passionate about - with a realistic view on our pricing and, in turn, the value we bring to our client.

That said, we would be hard pressed to deliver something custom with a contemporary content management system for anything less than 20k - honestly it would probably be north of that.

That sort of number delivers much more than just a website - its content creation, custom information architecture, marketing council, creative strategy, quality art direction -- and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Anyway, its frustrating to see a site like this go live for a brand that I actually feel a connection to (very literally because my ass sat on a Serotta for a long time ;)

I hope they can sort it out - and at the very least fix the typos.

In the "land" I live in...Portlandia, having a top notch website designed and implemented is as easy as a quick barter discussion...especially when it comes to a bike/bike frame.
There are guys on the Paceline site who can/could develop a better, more modern, concise and appealing website and who would do it for the price of a custom frame and they're love and appreciation for the Serotta brand.

Very weak attempt at coming back to the market with an inspiring reason to ask folks to chose them when making a frame purchase decision.

Having been in cycling for 30+ years it's really sad to see such a powerhouse brand go from being something I aspired to own to something I now "just happen to own" and would not consider purchasing again for a variety of reasons.

I wish them the best but outta the gate that website is a poor representation of the new leaner, meaner more focused Serotta.

Fixed
02-28-2012, 12:08 PM
change the model names to something i can pronounce
for a start
why no fat tire models with an aging fan club .
cheers :beer:

jpw
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
The site needs to have the info of Moots.com, the personality of ifbikes.com, and load at the speed of light.

I don't need to be told how to pronounce 'Legend'.

maximus
02-28-2012, 12:54 PM
In the "land" I live in...Portlandia, having a top notch website designed and implemented is as easy as a quick barter discussion

I really have to say I resent this uninformed view of web site creation.

What you are saying is reasonable for a small frame builder - but not a company like Serotta.

To be very blunt, their new website wreaks of the sort of sentiment you just offered up.

jpw
02-28-2012, 01:00 PM
+1.

Yes, it's a little embarrassing.

54ny77
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Thuh Payce-line Fo-Rum

:p

The site needs to have the info of Moots.com, the personality of ifbikes.com, and load at the speed of light.

I don't need to be told how to pronounce 'Legend'.

echelon_john
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
My work includes both Fortune 500 web site architecture and content development and web work done on a much smaller scale. I see a lot of companies who have paid A LOT of money for relatively low-quality work, and many smaller companies who have been able to achieve great things by putting the right team on it and making smart strategic decisions about positioning and content, then letting the team run with it.

For a site of the scale of Serotta's, without any real database integration, where the star really is the design, photography, and compelling writing, having the RIGHT individual doing it can be a very economical and feasible way to go, rather than hiring (and paying for) a firm whose capabilities would really be overkill for brochureware.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the sentiment about finding someone and bartering for site work--if it's the RIGHT someone. But I think a bigger problem is that it seems like no one WITHIN Serotta is really owning this. Obviously it's not a priority, or it would have received much more attention over the years.

What you are saying is reasonable for a small frame builder - but not a company like Serotta.

To be very blunt, their new website wreaks of the sort of sentiment you just offered up.

jpw
02-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Where's the trailed Il Viaggio travel bike?

benb
02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Being on a non-mobile browser and not having flash installed I can't see ANYTHING. Nothing other then "you must install flash!" It doesn't even offer the chance to look at the mobile version.

Utter fail, if I was looking at bikes they would be crossed off the list immediately.

Sad indeed as the old site wasn't really that ugly, all they had to do was refresh the models and maybe work a bit on organization/navigation.

Wow! Mobile site is awful as well.. I see a really blurry image of a guy riding, and no pics of the bikes or any real information at all.

fiamme red
02-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Where's the trailed Il Viaggio travel bike?No mention of the TiMax MTB either, or of the Pavé option.

Has the "HSG" acronym (whatever it meant) been discontinued?

Lorenz
02-28-2012, 02:15 PM
To put it up front: I really, really like Serotta and have two of their beauties in my stable. One might say I'm Serotta biased and I would affirm this right away.

Touring the new website only one word comes to my mind: disappointment.

Sure only my opinion – but for my eyes serotta.com lacks most of the things that make up a Serotta frame.

Love to detail? Passion for perfection? Nothing there!

Performance is mediocre, typography is a shame, pictures are distorted and often blurry, details are missing, an alternative-less-flash-monster, user interface and usability concept is non existing, wording is lousy, no user interaction, no words on the recent obstacles...

Something I don't get over: a few weeks ago some highly talented web-guy put up a dummy website here. That one was a blast. By any means far superior.

This for the site – as mentioned before I am Serotta biased – but at the dramatically reduced scope of bikes offered and the current over-pricing I'm hundred percent sure that they will never sell another frame to me. And this is a shame at the rates I'm adding new ones...

One statement on work in progess: you only have one chance to make a first impression.

Cheers, Lorenz

Fixed
02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
their poor web guy
he is getting fried ( sorry )

firerescuefin
02-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Lorenz...well said!

KeithNYC
02-28-2012, 02:24 PM
$3800 for a custom steel bike???

No. For a FRAME. That is so crazy I may be done wanting a Serotta for good.

pedlpwrd
02-28-2012, 02:25 PM
I openned up the site, and started browsing around. At first look I liked the look. Seemed much more simple and not as commercial sponsered. Then, while looking around I realilzed how too simple it was. And the links page isn't working correctly either. I tried to click the link for our forum and ended up at velo news. I was like w-t-f lol. So, I gave up and just came over here.

beeatnik
02-28-2012, 02:29 PM
+1.

When you're charging, at a minimum, $4k for a frame and fork, the site should feel like a premium experience. If you've cut back on your dealer network and this is your main customer facing portal, its gotta be spiffy and trick.

Things like "tripple butted tubing" don't cut it, soft launch or no.

The old site had a ton of grammatical errors. I'm not a grammar nazi by any means, but I began to reconsider Serotta's place on my halo bike list.

krhea
02-28-2012, 02:55 PM

In our area you'd be shocked at the number of creative, functional and outstanding websites that get designed, built and implemented using barter or partial barter.
In my mind Serotta has taken itself from being whatever you thought they were right back to being exactly what you state they aren't...a small frame builder.

I also don't understand why being a small frame builder with a great site is any different than being a large builder with a great site.
Small company or large company, cycling related or non-cycling related, it's 2012 and your web presence is the face of who you are and what you're about, especially if there are no dealers in your area, which is more common now than ever for Serotta.

I guess to me it boils down to this, how do you want to be perceived. You hang your hat on custom built, exquisitely crafted bikes with amazing attention to detail. You have a brand name that is very well known throughout the industry and has/had a lot of cache. A large portion of your consumer base as well as the entire cycling industry either knows or has heard of the troubles you've been dealing with. You come out and make statements about how the company is shifting focus a bit, going in different directions in order to be a viable market player and then your website hits and it looks like something that isn't custom built, isn't exquisitely crafted and shows little attention to detail. In some folks minds, from your description of Serotta as not a small frame builder it looks very bad for a "big, well known and respected" frame builder even with the so called "soft" opening. When you add in the current cost of a Serotta build which puts it into the upper echelon of custom build prices again you wonder why the website doesn't reflect that position of "higher price, more polished look".

I can accept "non-pro" designer web sites from truly small builders and one man shops who put their time, money and energies into fantastic builds for their customers instead of websites but I do expect much more of an effort from the folks at Serotta and see no excuses why it couldn't be better or at the very least, edited properly. To be honest, it's a bad reflection on who they are and where they've ended up in the hierarchy of cycling brands. I never thought in a million years I'd ever be involved in a discussion like this about a brand I admired as much as I did Serotta throughout the '80s, '90s and into 2000s.

I'm not upset as much as just disappointed in the effort. I want Serotta to not only survive but to flourish again like it once did. If I were Ben, the workmanship, the attention to detail and the thought process of the MeiVici would be my benchmark for everything my company did starting now. If my website didn't reflect that level of attention then it wouldn't be public, if my catalog didn't reflect it it wouldn't be printed, if my clinics, my advertisements etc etc etc did not reflect the exact same attention to quailty, detail, workmanship then I'd scrap it and begin again. The MeiVici is their top of the line reflection of their company. Trickle that down so it permeates everything you do and soon perception will become reality.

Sorry about the long post guys.

Fixed
02-28-2012, 03:02 PM
http://www.colnago.com/
i like
cheers

echelon_john
great post. you've really captured a lot of the issues here; on the web, small can look big, big can look small, and the barriers to conveying your brand in the way you choose aren't REALLY about budget or complexity--they're about imagination, creativity, and attention to detail.

In our area you'd be shocked at the number of creative, functional and outstanding websites that get designed, built and implemented using barter or partial barter.
In my mind Serotta has taken itself from being whatever you thought they were right back to being exactly what you state they aren't...a small frame builder.

I also don't understand why being a small frame builder with a great site is any different than being a large builder with a great site.
Small company or large company, cycling related or non-cycling related, it's 2012 and your web presence is the face of who you are and what you're about, especially if there are no dealers in your area, which is more common now than ever for Serotta.

I guess to me it boils down to this, how do you want to be perceived. You hang your hat on custom built, exquisitely crafted bikes with amazing attention to detail. You have a brand name that is very well known throughout the industry and has/had a lot of cache. A large portion of your consumer base as well as the entire cycling industry either knows or has heard of the troubles you've been dealing with. You come out and make statements about how the company is shifting focus a bit, going in different directions in order to be a viable market player and then your website hits and it looks like something that isn't custom built, isn't exquisitely crafted and shows little attention to detail. In some folks minds, from your description of Serotta as not a small frame builder it looks very bad for a "big, well known and respected" frame builder even with the so called "soft" opening. When you add in the current cost of a Serotta build which puts it into the upper echelon of custom build prices again you wonder why the website doesn't reflect that position of "higher price, more polished look".

I can accept "non-pro" designer web sites from truly small builders and one man shops who put their time, money and energies into fantastic builds for their customers instead of websites but I do expect much more of an effort from the folks at Serotta and see no excuses why it couldn't be better or at the very least, edited properly. To be honest, it's a bad reflection on who they are and where they've ended up in the hierarchy of cycling brands. I never thought in a million years I'd ever be involved in a discussion like this about a brand I admired as much as I did Serotta throughout the '80s, '90s and into 2000s.

I'm not upset as much as just disappointed in the effort. I want Serotta to not only survive but to flourish again like it once did. If I were Ben, the workmanship, the attention to detail and the thought process of the MeiVici would be my benchmark for everything my company did starting now. If my website didn't reflect that level of attention then it wouldn't be public, if my catalog didn't reflect it it wouldn't be printed, if my clinics, my advertisements etc etc etc did not reflect the exact same attention to quailty, detail, workmanship then I'd scrap it and begin again. The MeiVici is their top of the line reflection of their company. Trickle that down so it permeates everything you do and soon perception will become reality.

jpw
Two further points and then I'm done with the new website.

One. Would this new website enable a prospective buyer to make an informed choice?

Two. Someone tell Mr. B that he should think of a website as if it were a new frame that he's about to design and fabricate.

Climb01742
02-28-2012, 03:08 PM
there's no idea to the site. no differentiation. no answer to the question, 'why you and not (builder name goes here)?' the #1 task of a company coming out of a reorganization is to give a compelling story for its continued existence and relevance. there's none of that here. so f-ing sad.

fiamme red
02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
the #1 task of a company coming out of a reorganization is to give a compelling story for its continued existence and relevance.And a compelling reason for its prices, if they're far above the industry average.

David Kirk
02-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Valuable post - thanks for taking the time.

I think one of the things that can make it more difficult for the 'big' (more like medium) sized guys like Serotta is that there are often too many cooks in the kitchen. A one man shop has the 'luxury' of doing everything himself and has a more clear path to take to get a given message across. They are in effect selling themselves. A bigger biz can have a harder time.......there are other hands in the mix and each of them would like to see things go a slightly different direction. There often isn't a dedicated marketing dept so everyone wears more than one hat and gets involved. With a dedicated professional in-house marketing dept (which only the truly big guys have) they can boil down the message and make it clear. When there isn't, a lot of compromises need to be made and these compromises can water down the end results and thrill no one.

I don't know if this is the case with Serotta at this point but it was that way at times years ago - sales guys with little history in the company all trying to put their mark on it and take it in the direction they favor - and then you have very little true direction.

dave

maximus
02-28-2012, 03:58 PM

I think our points just went full circle.

Given their premium products, premium prices, their history, etc... I do view them as a bigger player in the market. My point about bartering is it just seems more appropriate for a smaller operation - like a artisan frame builder dealing with a passionate web designer.

I would argue Serotta's marketing is in need of more strategy and a level of guidance that I am not convinced you can get from a deal like that. Design aside.

Anyway, I appreciated your last post as it clarified a lot of things. Having been in the web industry for a while, you run across a lot of people who think that their best friend's nephew can handle the job—obviously that is not what you meant.

Jawn P
02-28-2012, 06:20 PM
I think the first step that went sideways was when they chose the dev company.

I honestly don't think they chose a dev company.

Looking at the source code it seems that the site was built with http://www.wix.com/ - which is a site builder for people who don't know how to code. Good for a small biz that otherwise wouldn't have a web prescience, or a portfolio site or something, but for someone of Serotta's caliber, I think they dropped the ball.

A strange choice - as many said, a freelancer could easily be bartered with (I'm available if they want to talk :banana: ) and many people in the biz are doing well with WordPress. With that you'd give a non-techie the ability to update the site, and still have the ability to grow.

I am the web guy for Cyclocross Magazine, and we're getting by on WordPress just fine...

charliedid
02-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Like the current crop of Serotta bicycles it is an utter train wreck in terms of visual/graphic design.

Sorry, consider this one an "epic" fail. My wife, who does this for a living and works at a University said it was "canned" and could have been done by a 1st year web design student.

tuscanyswe
02-28-2012, 06:53 PM
What a dissapointment :/

typos is not okay on a website as been pointed out allrdy alltho i prolly wouldent have noticed many of them..

To have the bike pictures disstorted in the first picture of all the modells, how is it possible they missed that?

They all look enlongated on my screen after i press legend ottrott etc. Non of the bikes in the paceline gallery does so its not my browser. If i click on one of the additional images the disstortion goes away as the picture is loaded but that photo-session has got major other issues, like it wont shut down unless i press another link. Cant go back to just reading about the ottrott or whatever bike i was viewing.

Very poor website for such a great company. Wont affect my feelings for serotta but i bet it does for those who dont know about the frames and is thinking about spending 4k+ on a new one.

CNY rider
02-28-2012, 07:01 PM
That website is pathetic.
I feel very sad looking at it.
I love Ben, love the company, want them to succeed.
Somewhere, somehow, something has gone very wrong and shows no signs of getting fixed.

If Peter Weigle can make us dream about his bikes with just a photo sharing program, why can't Serotta make a good website that inspires us?

drydenfire
02-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Wow this has really bummed me out.

How can someone who's paid so much attention to detail his entire enterpreneurial career put that site out there into the world?

I'll cherish my CDA even more now knowing the clock is ticking on the brand.

Fixed
02-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Wow this has really bummed me out.

How can someone who's paid so much attention to detail his entire enterpreneurial career put that site out there into the world?

I'll cherish my CDA even more now knowing the clock is ticking on the brand.
we all need to buy one
i almost bought one last night
and i am not
even riding right now

Jason E
02-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Redrider told me that he was one of the people working on the website, but I figured he meant overseeing someone that knew what they were doing.

Hmmm.

Peter B
02-28-2012, 09:20 PM
<snip>

I'm not upset as much as just disappointed in the effort. I want Serotta to not only survive but to flourish again like it once did. If I were Ben, the workmanship, the attention to detail and the thought process of the MeiVici would be my benchmark for everything my company did starting now.

This!

Keith A
02-28-2012, 10:02 PM
If anyone wants to make a comment to Serotta, you can do so here...
http://www.serotta.com/apps/blog/welcome-to-the-new-serottacom#comments

Jack Brunk
02-28-2012, 10:11 PM
I can get double butted feathertech titanium frame with a enve 1.0 fork right now for 3700 bucks from a top notch builder. I'm amazed at the pricing that's taking place in the bike frame market. That's 2k less than a legend. No brainer.

pdmtong
02-28-2012, 11:31 PM
it's really sad to see such a powerhouse brand go from being something I aspired to own to something I now "just happen to own" and would not consider purchasing again for a variety of reasons.

+1000

Imagery, navigation, typos can all be forgiven if the content is compelling. Sadly, there is nothing compelling here. I'm sorry to pile on, but this website is a disaster. All that can be said has already been said.

handsomerob
02-29-2012, 12:53 AM
So, no dealers in my region TN, MS, AL, KY.... and only one "fit liason" in TX, OK, AR, LA.... and the cheapest complete bike I can buy is $6k.

with that barrier of entry, my opinion on the new website is moot.

Gothard
02-29-2012, 01:23 AM
At first it crashed my IE.....
Then, well... :(

Rueda Tropical
02-29-2012, 05:29 AM
The site is shockingly bad. I don't know how they expect to survive if they think that level of marketing execution is acceptable for a brand like theirs.

split
02-29-2012, 05:31 AM
Well, I'm up in the middle of the night holding my newborn and I go the serotta site on my iPhone and notice something different...it's a mobile site. Doh!! I read this thread and I cannot view the actual (FLASH?!?!?!?) site. But "browsing" the mobile site gives me chills. This is what I see when I click on Gallery:

http://db.tt/DCzHcOygxxx

I'm panicking, OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. Noooooooooooooooooo

Edit: In the spirit of keeping things constructive, I've removed the screenshot of the gallery. Frankly its embarrassing and it seems like the've removed that link. If you missed it, let's just say if Serotta became a company who sold strawberries, soup, puppies, while you did yoga at a spa, it'd be perfect.

Sorry Ben

happycampyer
02-29-2012, 05:52 AM
Well, they said it was a work in progress—that's already an improvement over what was up earlier in the day...

Honestly, it's puzzling that they would go live with the site without getting more feedback, proof reading, etc.

Joel
02-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Since 1984 I've spent my days (and many nights) marketing various consumer goods and services from the most mundane (AP/DEO & Shampoo) to very exclusive (Luxury Restaurants).

The simple truth is that ALL brandtouch points are exactly that - brand touch points. They all matter. They all speak to the brand itself and like a song - when discordant - the listener is left just with the off note ringing - not the full chorus of the brand.

Many times our brand users contact us - to tell us where we are off note. They - bless their hearts - are trying to save us from ourselves.

I hope that the folks at Serotta are reading this thread. Better to pull the site down for a bit and get to seamlessly align with the rest of the brand than to leave it as an unaligned touchpoint.

rwsaunders
02-29-2012, 05:55 AM
Perhaps reach out directly to Ben et al with your web design advice? The company is obviously going through some hard times and every penny no doubt counts. Hell, we wouldn't be able to converse as a group if it weren't for them, so dig deep folks with your ideas.

From the site...I’ve always had a hard time understanding what the point of a soft launch of a store make-over was all about….or why theatre works debut in Toronto or Edinburg instead of New York or London. I get it now. It’s when it’s time to open the doors to a fresh start, but there’s still some polishing ahead.

veloduffer
02-29-2012, 07:28 AM
I hate to say it but when I first saw the new design, it looks amateurish. Low resolution graphics (and gallery!) and marketing drivel copy. Serotta should be touting:

- Its craftsmanship - made in the US
- Heritage from supporting US racing in its infancy to TdF
- Skilled fitting service to provide the best bike for you - like a custom suit; it's not an off-the-rack fit
- Customer service

I remember one of the forumites put up his own idea of a new site. That was terrific.

I don't know if this is the case, but sometimes, as companies evolve, the founder of a company has to let go of the reigns and hire professional management. The founder should become the visionary, strategist and inspiration, but leave the execution and management (money, marketing, etc) to others who are experts, especially in difficult times. It's a classic business case.

handsomerob
02-29-2012, 10:53 AM

I really can't fathom that a formite put together something on a whim that looks so much better than the actual site.

I understand the thought process (and pride) behind building it yourself.. I too have started a project thinking that I could hack my way through it only to discover that my end result was sub par... But it is important to know when it is time to call a professional.

tuscanyswe
02-29-2012, 11:01 AM
I really can't fathom that a formite put together something on a whim that looks so much better than the actual site.

I understand the thought process (and pride) behind building it yourself.. I too have started a project thinking that I could hack my way through it only to discover that my end result was sub par... But it is important to know when it is time to call a professional.

I agree thats impressive if done in a whim as you say.

Much much better than the actual one, that dont say alot tho unfortunetly.

rugbysecondrow
02-29-2012, 11:02 AM
My thought, it was designed for the elderly with their poor eye sight, that is the only explaination for the large/crappy font. Also, the "Bicycles" section must have been created for the colorblind as it is all grey...no color or pop.

I just don't get it.

I hate to say it but when I first saw the new design, it looks amateurish. Low resolution graphics (and gallery!) and marketing drivel copy. Serotta should be touting:

- Its craftsmanship - made in the US
- Heritage from supporting US racing in its infancy to TdF
- Skilled fitting service to provide the best bike for you - like a custom suit; it's not an off-the-rack fit
- Customer service

I remember one of the forumites put up his own idea of a new site. That was terrific.

I don't know if this is the case, but sometimes, as companies evolve, the founder of a company has to let go of the reigns and hire professional management. The founder should become the visionary, strategist and inspiration, but leave the execution and management (money, marketing, etc) to others who are experts, especially in difficult times. It's a classic business case.

split
02-29-2012, 11:10 AM
i was finally able to put down my tablet and phone and pull up the website on my desktop (uh so 2009 ;)).

:crap:

Serotta Fanboy is not a fan. :no:

Keith A
02-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Just curious, would any of you web designers be willing to help Serotta with a new website? Would you do this for free, barter or $$'s?

54ny77
02-29-2012, 11:58 AM
It is confirmed: Serotta is secretly being run by 80+ year old retired auto industry executives, the guys responsible for living in their own world, ignoring customers entirely and bringing us gems like the Gremlin, Fairmont, and Chevette.

echelon_john
02-29-2012, 12:04 PM
keith--sent you a pm

54ny77
02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
here's the best photo of my serotta that i've got. maybe someone can use it.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/IMG_2677.jpg

William
02-29-2012, 12:15 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SElSSv-91A0/S6mh0KDQqKI/AAAAAAAAAQ4/5oOODbOa0OI/s1600/ottrott+ht.jpg

William
02-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Don't use this one though....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MoU-eOZkkD4/TCUYnpRtYgI/AAAAAAAAANU/l_bVP1G_Hgs/s1600/pete.jpg

William :)

pdmtong
02-29-2012, 12:29 PM
The last vestige of racing heritage
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/features/?id=2005/kodak_sierra

pix
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2005/features/kodak_sierra/sn_camp_3_05_0133_N

krhea
02-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Just curious, would any of you web designers be willing to help Serotta with a new website? Would you do this for free, barter or $$'s?

Keith, contact me directly to discuss. I'm not a web design guy but have direct connects to some very good ones who also happen to be serious cyclists/business people who understand marketing, branding, social media etc.

KRhea

redir
02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I am a professional web programmer and designer and would have to concur with almost everything folks have said (without reading every post). The thing that struck me right off the bat was the depressing gray overtone and use of (or lack of) color on the home page. Flash is a horrible platform for an entire web site and should be used very sparingly if at all.

The rich history of Serotta bikes from pro pelaton to amateur century rides should some how be incorporated in the design. Serotta history IMO is a HUGE marketing point.

If the budget is low then crowd sourcing could be a good way to go but I wouldn't expect a great site from it. Realistically a site like that would be easily $15k and up. A web site is not all about pretty design it's about selling a product. Pretty design helps and is nice and there are a lot of people capable of doing it but a functional design that gets you to reaching for your wallet is why there are professionals in this field.

lemondvictoire
02-29-2012, 12:51 PM
I can get double butted feathertech titanium frame with a enve 1.0 fork right now for 3700 bucks from a top notch builder. I'm amazed at the pricing that's taking place in the bike frame market. That's 2k less than a legend. No brainer.

Another USA titanium builder also has highend road frames with fork/headset for under $3k and Serotta doesn't have anything at this price point. $7K + for a complete ti bike is just getting over the top! My first and only Serotta is a Fierte IT from Ebay. Not sure if Serotta will make some limited Factory direct special editions to compete. I'm sure in time their website will have more pics and descriptions on what makes a Serotta special !

split
02-29-2012, 01:01 PM
I've got some time off this week. It's not my full time job but I'd help out for a new frame! What I put together can easily be made functional. But again, a good site needs good content to work with. You need professional photographers and writers too.

Jawn P
02-29-2012, 01:55 PM

Certainly would on my end here! Even if someone else is brought on as a project manager, I'd gladly lend a hand.

maximus
02-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I'd personally be willing to lend a hand. If they don't have a budget for a full build from the ground up, I have some ideas on how to help and some design/tech skills to back them up. We could have something up pretty quickly.

If there is a budget and want something engage on a more strategic level- my company (who happen to be comprised of some pretty passionate cyclists) would be willing to work out a discount.

If the parties responsible want to PM me, I would be happy to provide more background on myself - and the company if there is any interest in hearing more on that end.

jpw
02-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Perhaps we've missed something in our haste to condemn. Maybe, just maybe (and I'm trying to see the positive possibilities here folks, really I am) Serotta has a devilishly devious strategy. Put out an absolutely poo website to get the community so enraged that it will create an Oscar winner...for free. Clever boy that Ben. I prefer this idea to the horrible alternative reality, that this new website is actually the best they can come up with.

The thing of it is, if this is actually the best they can come up with, and allied to their already stratospheric prices and contracted dealer network, there is little chance that the company will survive. Therefore, why then would anyone now want to spend their money on a new Serotta when within a year the frameset will likely have meaningless 'lifetime' warranty and crash protection cover? It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, and a terminal downward spiral.

The only reason to buy would be the 'kudos' of being able to say that "I have one of the last Serotta's never to come out of the factory". I'm being pessimistic, but Ben needs to be sat down and given a good talking to before it's too late.

Poo. Sorry Ben, but it is. Take good note of Clayton Christensen's thesis on what happens to companies that move ever upward and eventually find themselves at the very top of the market.

FlashUNC
02-29-2012, 02:24 PM
I'd be happy to write copy/proof read the thing, since nobody seems to have done it this last time around.

rugbysecondrow
02-29-2012, 02:31 PM
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/

Hire the folks who did this one.

Easy site to drive
Sells a story
Branding
Cool

Very, very effective IMO

jpw
02-29-2012, 02:40 PM
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/

Hire the folks who did this one.

Easy site to drive
Sells a story
Branding
Cool

Very, very effective IMO

Visually uninspiring..to my eyes. Dark, dull, muddy - who needs that through the winter months?

It has info (all important), but needs to be brighter, lighter, and have more 'personality'.

Peter White Cycles has much to admire.

Example;

"This web site can only be viewed with a computer. So, if you're having trouble viewing this site, and don't have a computer, that could be the reason."

martinrjensen
02-29-2012, 03:12 PM
It seems a bit slow to load, but then again I am accessing it from the Aleutian Islands in Alaska.....

justinf
02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
All due respect to the designer of that site (because I'm guessing they are on this board), it's simply awful. Scores of upstart garage builders have far superior sites. Wow.

rugbysecondrow
02-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Visually uninspiring..to my eyes. Dark, dull, muddy - who needs that through the winter months?

It has info (all important), but needs to be brighter, lighter, and have more 'personality'.

Example;

"This web site can only be viewed with a computer. So, if you're having trouble viewing this site, and don't have a computer, that could be the reason."

You may be right, but that guys sells leather bags for 600 bucks when similar bags are sold for 350. Marketing, branding, a kick ass story and an easy website means cashola.

Peter White Cycles...his website is awful. Unless you are joking I cannot even fathom why somebody would use his as an example.

Orrery
02-29-2012, 06:27 PM
^I agree it isn't that flashy/modern but I have to admit to getting sucked into his site after reading about some Specialites TA cranks/chainrings and continuing for around an hour one morning this week. The content interested me.

The tongue-in-cheek part works for his site but it wouldn't for the Serotta site.

Fixed
02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=jpw]

Example;

this works too
cheers

rugbysecondrow
02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
^I agree it isn't that flashy/modern but I have to admit to getting sucked into his site after reading about some Specialites TA chainrings and reading for like an hour one morning. The content interested me.

The tongue-in-cheek part works for his site but I'm not sure it would for the Serotta site.

He has an informational site, but quite different than what a sexy Serotta site should be. I have read about his lights, but I have yet to purchase anything from him. It doesn't help that he seems like an objectionable person.

I would add, since the above photo references Rivendell, that is a perfect example of branding, website, image etc. They even get folks to over pay for many products because of image.

Orrery
02-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Agreed, it's definitely not the same kind of site I would envision for Serotta.

Jason E
02-29-2012, 06:46 PM
I love'em, but I do not think anyone should help them with more than suggestions. They need to find the help they need, value it by paying for it, and earn their direction.

A handout is not what they want, and NOT what they need.

If the group does it for them they are the same corporate underneath, and that much closer to the failure JPW describes, but with a false sense of health.

If they choose it, and purchase it, they value it. If they survive, they earned it, and if they fail they know they did their best.

I could not imagine them accepting that sort of help, and would be disappointed to hear they did.

Climb01742
02-29-2012, 07:35 PM
I love'em, but I do not think anyone should help them with more than suggestions. They need to find the help they need, value it by paying for it, and earn their direction.

A handout is not what they want, and NOT what they need.

If the group does it for them they are the same corporate underneath, and that much closer to the failure JPW describes, but with a false sense of health.

If they choose it, and purchase it, they value it. If they survive, they earned it, and if they fail they know they did their best.

I could not imagine them accepting that sort of help, and would be disappointed to hear they did.

this feels close to the truth. the new site is a symptom, not the cause. it's noble of folks to offer their help but the true issues feel deeper, sadly.

HomardBreton
03-01-2012, 01:59 AM
...well ( takin´a deep breath ) - due to all respect to the designer of this site; and I really don´t want to impress impolite or smth:

The effect of the site is not as positive as I would like to see it. There are a lot of things you can discuss about .... but the main thing is, that there is no soft-launch of a website, it´s the first and consisting impression of a brand. ( especially when you announce it ). It´s their card for the market in their business.

And if you would like to be top of the top - serving the last 2 % of the market with bikes tagged an astronomic price on...than you should present your brand in this way. And that´s actual DEFINETELY NOT the way to be successful in this segment.

I´m really, really sad about this development...

( personal opinion: Serotta should ask the Porsche Consulting for optimizing economic / engineering and marketing processes ... Porsche was in the same situation like Serotta in the early nineties, had made the turnaround and is now the most profitable car manufacturer worldwide... )

johnnymossville
03-01-2012, 08:56 AM
They really should bring back the old site with a few minor changes/new photography.

The new site is lackluster.

redir
03-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I just read an interview this morning with Joe Parkin who many of you may know was a pro in the late 80's - 90's. Was a great interview to read and one of the questions was "of all the bikes you have ridden as a pro over the years what was your favourite?" His answer was a Serotta Ti bike and he went on to describ how during the Tour Du Pont the pelaton was descending together at 50MPH and he was casually riding no handed pouring a coke into his water bottle. The point of course being it was one of the most stable rides he ever rode.

As I've said that's the kind of image that can sell bikes and as a designer I would incorporate that into a web site.

Tom
03-01-2012, 11:07 AM
The tongue-in-cheek part works for his site but it wouldn't for the Serotta site.

On the Legend page: "Legend (Leh-Jend)"

That's not hysterically funny? I love it.

johnnymossville
03-02-2012, 09:53 AM
...As I've said that's the kind of image that can sell bikes and as a designer I would incorporate that into a web site.

Yep. I've heard that and it's the kind of thing that sells bikes.

billspreston
03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Very disappointing indeed. Can't really add much that hasn't already said. Some very good points made by professionals and non-professionals alike. Last year's site was much cleaner, I can't understand why they took such a step backwards.

I put together Jim Kish's new website (http://kishbike.com). We did the job as a barter situation and I think we both got what we wanted out of the deal. We've worked together on a few web/print projects now. Jim is a good dude.

I would be happy to discuss helping out Serotta in a similar fashion. Does anyone know who the appropriate person to contact about that would be?

It can be totally redone for under/around 10 grand, in my opinion, as they don't need much DB/CMS work unless that's something they are really after.

krhea
03-02-2012, 05:48 PM
I put together Jim Kish's new website (http://kishbike.com). We did the job as a barter situation and I think we both got what we wanted out of the deal.

Like I said way back in this thread, good things can happen when barter is involved.
You did a great job on that KISH site Bill, congrats. It's simple, clean, easily read and followed, excellent detailed pics and full of the right kind of info a potential customer is looking for.
That's the level of expertise and experience I'm used to dealing with locally on barter deals. Nicely done and I can see why KISH would be pleased.

BumbleBeeDave
03-02-2012, 06:02 PM
. . . is dead. :confused:

BBD

Very disappointing indeed. Can't really add much that hasn't already said. Some very good points made by professionals and non-professionals alike. Last year's site was much cleaner, I can't understand why they took such a step backwards.

I put together Jim Kish's new website (http://kishbike.com). We did the job as a barter situation and I think we both got what we wanted out of the deal. We've worked together on a few web/print projects now. Jim is a good dude.

I would be happy to discuss helping out Serotta in a similar fashion. Does anyone know who the appropriate person to contact about that would be?

It can be totally redone for under/around 10 grand, in my opinion, as they don't need much DB/CMS work unless that's something they are really after.

54ny77
03-02-2012, 06:17 PM
works fine. bad link, probably forgot the pin (eh, bad bike humor...).

http://www.kishbike.com

billspreston
03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Ah yes I had the link within parenthesis and the auto-hyperlink thingie included it in the tag. Fixed :beer:

Like I said way back in this thread, good things can happen when barter is involved.
You did a great job on that KISH site Bill, congrats. It's simple, clean, easily read and followed, excellent detailed pics and full of the right kind of info a potential customer is looking for.
That's the level of expertise and experience I'm used to dealing with locally on barter deals. Nicely done and I can see why KISH would be pleased.

Thanks for the compliments :) Working on content you actually enjoy makes it a little easier to take on jobs for lower than you normally might. It was a good experience and getting a custom ti bike in return was a fun carrot to chase after.

A few years back, I contacted several different builders offering to revamp their dated websites. I would say half of them thought my barter offer was way too HIGH (sigh) and the other half felt that a nicer website wouldn't have an actual effect on their business (too long of a queue as it is). I think Jim gets it and I hope his business benefits from that recognition.

Have to say I'm surprised by the overall reaction by the forum to the new Serotta website. Not that the reaction isn't warranted, just surprised that so many people recognize the positive/negative impact a website can have on a business. It's a good thing.

McQueen
03-02-2012, 09:19 PM
I felt compelled to comment on the Serotta.com blog about the new website, which I just now had time to check out.. I know a lot of this has been covered, but my thoughts...

"I am the owner of two Serotta's, and apparently something happened to the Serotta site while I was out for a coffee, apparently it was hacked by a web programmer from 1997.

I don't mean this to be too disparaging, but the old site would have been a completely ample placeholder until you had something more solid than this 'soft launch". Seriously, there were useful tools - when I was building my Meivici AE, you had the custom color app where you could try out different color combinations - that kind of stuff helps sell bikes.

It seems ridiculous to trash it in exchange for a flash site that from a technology standpoint "sucks" - I have a decent DSL connection on pretty solid performance quad core i7 iMac and the thing is slow to render, and when it does render, it's what, a picture. Nothing that html couldn't have handled.

I'm guessing you still make a Meivici AE? Nothing on your site about it.. Is my bike now a collectors item, or is the website just in the 'soft launch' phase, where you can't even list the models you sell?

What's the point of the new website? What's it bring to your brand that the old one didn't? It fails in so many ways, well, as a loyal Serotta owner, it's disappointing."

McQueen
03-02-2012, 09:47 PM
But, I just accessed the mobile site with my iPad. Why even bother, the pictures, that seemingly take ages to render, don't even seem sharp. The best part is you click on Meivici, and then there's a sentence about the bike. But then below there is a button to "show more". Clicking it moves everything down a line and shows a blank line with no text.

I'm dumbfounded at the turd that was just laid at Serotta.com

Many of you are too kind and polite. This is an epic fail.

Somebody tell me, did they discontinue the AE?

prometheus20
03-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Its a sad site, and a sad sight. Don't know who Ben has designing it, but such fine bikes deserve a much better, more detailed presentation. I hope Serotta can survive and thrive.

OTB
03-02-2012, 11:15 PM
From the http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/company/history/2001-2010.aspx website:

January 26, 2001
Continental Airlines was again named "Airline of the Year" by the aviation industry's leading monthly trade publication, Air Transport World. As recipient of the same honor in 1996, Continental is the first airline to receive the coveted "Airline of the Year" distinction twice in five years.

Seems very familiar...

goblue
03-03-2012, 12:00 AM
web site...***???

goblue
03-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Horrible website.

jpw
03-03-2012, 03:31 AM
Agreed, it's definitely not the same kind of site I would envision for Serotta.

You're right. PW has a 'voice', a persona, and Serotta is a dead fish by way of comparison in that regard.

jpw
03-03-2012, 03:38 AM
It's come to the stage where I'd be thinking twice about putting a deposit down on a new frame because at the back of my mind I'd be wondering if the company might close on me before it gets made and delivered to the dealer.

happycampyer
03-03-2012, 06:21 AM
It's come to the stage where I'd be thinking twice about putting a deposit down on a new frame because at the back of my mind I'd be wondering if the company might close on me before it gets made and delivered to the dealer.Having seen a number of bikes that the factory has recently delivered to Signature, I would say that your concern is grossly exaggerated. The bikes are as beautifully constructed and finished as always, and the lead times seem to have evened out. I personally wouldn't hesitate buying another.

The new website is a pos, in most ways worse than the prior one, but as we all know Serotta's lack of internet savvy over the years has been leh-jend-ary, almost diametrically opposed to the quality of their product. I think that there have been a number of constructive criticisms and suggestions in this thread, which I hope (expect) that someone at Serotta is reading and will take to heart, asap.

dekindy
03-03-2012, 08:33 AM
It's come to the stage where I'd be thinking twice about putting a deposit down on a new frame because at the back of my mind I'd be wondering if the company might close on me before it gets made and delivered to the dealer.

What dealer? Have you looked at the new list?

54ny77
03-03-2012, 09:23 AM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/Legend1.jpg

Having seen a number of bikes that the factory has recently delivered to Signature, I would say that your concern is grossly exaggerated. The bikes are as beautifully constructed and finished as always, and the lead times seem to have evened out. I personally wouldn't hesitate buying another.

The new website is a pos, in most ways worse than the prior one, but as we all know Serotta's lack of internet savvy over the years has been leh-jend-ary, almost diametrically opposed to the quality of their product. I think that there have been a number of constructive criticisms and suggestions in this thread, which I hope (expect) that someone at Serotta is reading and will take to heart, asap.

Fixed
03-03-2012, 09:37 AM
good points
thanks for the other view
cheers

maybe they say we don't build web sites
we build great bikes
we are busy
testing riding and building
the worlds best bikes

rugbysecondrow
03-03-2012, 09:43 AM
If they don't fixed the web, they won't be making too many more bikes. Trimmed dealer network and a poor individual customer interface (web) spells T R O U B L E.

572cv
03-03-2012, 11:18 AM
A company with which I am involved finally found the energy and focus to redo its website. In three months since it went live, sales (on the site) are up close to 30% without any advertising. It will have been worth the effort to get it right. Evocative photos of product and a bright cheerful cast are key, along with easier user interface.

nbrewste
03-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Wow. What is there to say that hasn't been said -- the site is, plainly, a step backwards. Laughably bad.

Has there been no thought to the weight that the Serotta brand carries? Every expression of that brand, from the website to show booths to the bikes themselves should be aligned in one clean, high-end direction. Just take a look at Firefly or Vanilla, two examples of similar (but smaller) custom bike brands that understand their image and articulate it well.

You could make a templated Wordpress website in a week that looks (and functions) better than this new Flash abomination.

It's incredibly frustrating to see a great brand fall as a result, in part, to such preventable mistakes -- I'd expect such from a know-nothing upstart, not a brand with a successful 30+ year history...

For fun, take a look back at the Serotta web designs of old -- http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.serotta.com...

avalonracing
03-03-2012, 05:48 PM
If they don't fixed the web, they won't be making too many more bikes. Trimmed dealer network and a poor individual customer interface (web) spells T R O U B L E.

No doubt. Either you need a great dealer network or a slammin' web presence (preferably both) if you want to sell bikes.

Jason E
03-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Wow. What is there to say that hasn't been said -- the site is, plainly, a step backwards. Laughably bad.

Has there been no thought to the weight that the Serotta brand carries? Every expression of that brand, from the website to show booths to the bikes themselves should be aligned in one clean, high-end direction. Just take a look at Firefly or Vanilla, two examples of similar (but smaller) custom bike brands that understand their image and articulate it well.

You could make a templated Wordpress website in a week that looks (and functions) better than this new Flash abomination.

It's incredibly frustrating to see a great brand fall as a result, in part, to such preventable mistakes -- I'd expect such from a know-nothing upstart, not a brand with a successful 30+ year history...

For fun, take a look back at the Serotta web designs of old -- http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://www.serotta.com...

This is awesome! July of 1998 is better then March or 2012. Amazing.

likebikes
03-03-2012, 07:25 PM
wow, this is sad

likebikes
03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
rip serotta?

sirroada
03-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Wow. I thought they built high end custom frames. By the looks of their website they hired an amateur to put it together. As a paying customer, I would assume their bikes are of the same quality. Fuzzy picture quality, typos, grammatical errors. Serotta...does Ferrari's website contain any of these qualities? If you are the Ferrari of the bike world your website better mirror that.
Serotta, what happened to you guys? I love your bikes. I used to be proud to ride a Serotta. Now I'm embarrassed for you guys. Whoever is running your business is taking it in the entirely wrong direction.

russ46
03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Well, I finally visited the new Serotta website after skimming through some of the posts on this thread the past few weeks. I thought I would see what I hoped - it can't be that bad - unfortunately it is. There really isn't anything of substance on the site.

I own a Concours & think it's both a work of art & a great ride. I would love to see Serotta prosper & continue making beautiful machines. Unfortunately, the lack of marketing skills within Serotta that I have witnessed over the past few years makes their future doubtful.