PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider 'Light'

Nooch
02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Alright, so I just built up my first wheelset, so my initial question is regarding wheels, but feel free to expand further to any aspect of weight..

How light does a 'light' wheelset weigh (to you)?

I've got these at 1790 grams, dt swiss 350 hubs, dt comp spokes all around, and dt brass nipples on velocity a23 rims. They sure seem light when I'm holding them, but compared to say, a ksyrium elite or sl, they're a good 3-400 grams heavier...

(i should also mention that durability was the goal, so I'm not disapointed by any stretch... just curious! when the rider is 195 lbs, I'd rather have the extra weight)

christian
02-28-2012, 08:58 AM
1360 grams.

AngryScientist
02-28-2012, 09:02 AM
<1500g = light
1500 - 1800, sorta light
>1800 = heavy

gone
02-28-2012, 09:06 AM
<1500g = light
1500 - 1800, sorta light
>1800 = heavy
This.

jr59
02-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Wheels that break under my large self = very bad
Wheels that hold up and don't need truing or service often under my fat a$$= GREAT!

I have no idea of weight, and I don't really care! I want stuff to work and keep on working!

zap
02-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Factoring durability <1250 grams

Nooch
02-28-2012, 09:17 AM
<1500g = light
1500 - 1800, sorta light
>1800 = heavy

Well alright :)

I believe we all agree that rotational mass is the biggest issue with wheels, so looking at the increased cost to a 240s hub just seems silly -- 100 grams off in the center would bring me to 1690 grams, but the rotational mass would remain the same, right?

oldpotatoe
02-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Well alright :)

I believe we all agree that rotational mass is the biggest issue with wheels, so looking at the increased cost to a 240s hub just seems silly -- 100 grams off in the center would bring me to 1690 grams, but the rotational mass would remain the same, right?

The rotational mass, flywheel effect is vastly overplayed. Adding or subtracting a few grams from one rim to another means almost nothing. Say a 500 gram rim to a 450 gram rim. When people say their light carbon wheels seem to 'spin up faster', not because of the weight or where it is but I think because the rim is very stiff.

'Light' depends on the rider, his technique, the wheel's use. There are no absolutes.

Most wheels we build are in the 1600-1700 range. Even really light ones, say in the 1200 gram range only saves...lessee...add the...subtract the...divide by.......about a pound, 450 grams or so on as an example, on your 96,000 gram bike and rider and gear, 'package'.

Designing a wheelset that will do it's job, with quality components and be reliable is much more important than gross tonnage.

Fixed
02-28-2012, 09:38 AM
20 pound bike has been my ideal bike weight forever .
i really like strong wheels
cheers

cmg
02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
i only care about rim weight. it's the rotational mass, flywheel effect is vastly overplayed thing that i concern myself with. spoke/hub weight don't concern me very much. also use lots of spokes.

biker72
02-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Wheels that break under my large self = very bad
Wheels that hold up and don't need truing or service often under my fat a$$= GREAT!

I have no idea of weight, and I don't really care! I want stuff to work and keep on working!
Agree 1000%.... :)
Reliability first then maybe concerned with weight.

giverdada
02-28-2012, 10:45 AM
i agree with angry scientist's sum-up.

i also feel like there's something to be said for really light rims and the whole spin up thing. i also think that it depends on the rim, as it seems that this is a huge tradeoff with my reflexes and their descending vagueness. 32 sapim cx-ray spokes. tune hubs. reflexes, not sure about nipples. not the most confidence inspiring descenders. built a new front clincher on A23 with old hub and double butted round sapims and the thing flies down hills. not sure why. seems it might be the rim. either way, i think light is often overrated, and i like to go with durability and function before grams. take a leak. drink your water bottle. leave the cliff bar at home. there. hundreds of grams "shaved" off. now if i could just pay attention to the scenery and do a better pull at the front...

ofcounsel
02-28-2012, 11:13 AM
At 235lbs (I'm a fatty) reliability is currently much more important to me than lightweight wheels. I just had a set of wheels built up, which I should be getting back today. Mine are Mavic Open Pro CD's, with DT double butted spokes (laced 3 cross) and Campy record 32 spoke hubs.

I imagine they'll come in somewhere between 1700 and 1750 grams. Not light, but they should be strong enough to hold my weight mile after mile. I'll put them on the scale when I get them in my hands.

I'm just getting back into riding after being off the bike for about 10 years. I started MTB riding on my local trails in December, and been riding about 3-4 times a week, getting a total of about 6 1/2 hours in on the MTB each week. My cardio has seen a noticeable improvement, and I've dropped a little weight, though admittedly not as much as I would have hoped :)

I hope to start getting more riding in as I build up my road bike... Hopefully, if I can keep it up, by the end of the year, I can celebrate with buying some lightweight wheels!

krhea
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
The rotational mass, flywheel effect is vastly overplayed. Adding or subtracting a few grams from one rim to another means almost nothing. Say a 500 gram rim to a 450 gram rim. When people say their light carbon wheels seem to 'spin up faster', not because of the weight or where it is but I think because the rim is very stiff.

'Light' depends on the rider, his technique, the wheel's use. There are no absolutes.

Most wheels we build are in the 1600-1700 range. Even really light ones, say in the 1200 gram range only saves...lessee...add the...subtract the...divide by.......about a pound, 450 grams or so on as an example, on your 96,000 gram bike and rider and gear, 'package'.

Designing a wheelset that will do it's job, with quality components and be reliable is much more important than gross tonnage.

In the "world of numbers" I agree with Angryscientist...however, in the "real" world I agree with Oldpotatoe.

Louis
02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
W <= 1500g without skewers = light

Ramjm_2000
02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
<1500g = light
1500 - 1799, sorta light
>1800 = heavy

Minor change but pretty much agree.

Bob Loblaw
02-29-2012, 08:12 AM
I agree with this if you're talking straight numbers. I'm more interested in how a bike feels and responds to acceleration.

A lighter wheelset will USUALLY 'feel' snappier and more responsive, but that's not always the case. A lightweight wheelset can feel like a sluggish power sponge. Likewise a more robust wheelset can spin up crisply and efficiently, and 'feel' lighter than it is. As OP said it depends on bike, rider, terrain, etc., not to mention the skill with which the wheel was built.

BL

<1500g = light
1500 - 1800, sorta light
>1800 = heavy

keevon
02-29-2012, 09:13 AM
They sure seem light when I'm holding them, but compared to say, a ksyrium elite or sl, they're a good 3-400 grams heavier...
Mavic is notorious for unrealistic advertised weights. Your 1790 gram wheelset is going to be very close to a Ksyrium Elite, and within a couple hundred grams of the Ksyrium SL.

Wheel weight is all mental. I have a handbuilt wheelset that was originally built with alloy nipples and fancy lightweight spokes, coming in around 1475 grams. I have since replaced all the nipples with brass and rebuilt the rear wheel with heavier spokes, probably adding 75-100 grams in the process. Guess what? The wheels feel exactly the same and are more durable to boot.

oldpotatoe
02-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Mavic is notorious for unrealistic advertised weights. Your 1790 gram wheelset is going to be very close to a Ksyrium Elite, and within a couple hundred grams of the Ksyrium SL.

Wheel weight is all mental. I have a handbuilt wheelset that was originally built with alloy nipples and fancy lightweight spokes, coming in around 1475 grams. I have since replaced all the nipples with brass and rebuilt the rear wheel with heavier spokes, probably adding 75-100 grams in the process. Guess what? The wheels feel exactly the same and are more durable to boot.

Reality, what a concept.

Joachim
02-29-2012, 11:18 AM
This might sound totally weird, but I think Old Potatoe will concur.... I recently found that really light alloy tubular rims (around 330-390 grams) with high spoke counts, 36h and 32h, with light-ish hubs (White Ind H2/H3, DT240s, even Record) will build up to really light (1300 -1400gram), RELIABLE, everyday wheels. I guess you can call it go back to the old school.

So back to the original question, I consider 1300-1499 light for alloy rim wheels.