PDA

View Full Version : Steam cleaning bicycles

HenryA
02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Has anyone used one of the small household steam cleaners to clean a bike? I'm interested in an easy way to clean the drive train in particular. I am not asking about pressure washers or a trip to the car wash. Thanks in advance.

dave thompson
02-27-2012, 03:54 PM
No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! Steam will get lube/oil/protection out of places where it's hard to re-do and where it needs to be. If it gets underneath a paint chip........

If your bike is really dirty/filthy, warm soapy water and a soft bristle brush will do what you need. If the bike is normal 'dirty' most often a simple wipedown with Lemon Pledge works nicely. Old t-shirts and used toothbrushes are your friends. Remove the chain (quick-links, a very big help here) and cassette for a thorough cleaning a couple times a year.

I haven't washed any bikes, in the traditional sense, for a couple of years.

MattTuck
02-27-2012, 04:12 PM
No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!

If your bike is really dirty/filthy, warm soapy water and a soft bristle brush will do what you need. If the bike is normal 'dirty' most often a simple wipedown with Lemon Pledge works nicely. Old t-shirts and used toothbrushes are your friends. Remove the chain (quick-links, a very big help here) and cassette for a thorough cleaning a couple times a year.

I haven't washed any bikes, in the traditional sense, for a couple of years.

Word, I'm surprised there's not a brisk market in used toothbrushes. They're great for so many things once they've completed their duties keeping your chompahs clean. :D :D :D I've debated the idea of using my old OralB electric brush to clean RD pullys.

HenryA
02-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Gents,

I know how to clean a bike and how not to clean a bike.

I'm looking for something to make the greasy-part cleaning easier and faster. And I recognize the potential pitfalls of water getting into places it should not. One big advantage of cleaning metal parts with steam is that the heated metal dries very quickly. Another is that a lesser amount of cleaning solvent is needed, if any is needed at all.

An ultrasonic bath works really well for cleaning parts after the bike is apart, but I'd like to cut some crud without or even prior to dis-assembly.

I'll rephrase the question:
Has anyone used a consumer type steam cleaner to clean somewhat dirty and greasy metallic assemblies much like those found on a bicycle?

Steve in SLO
02-28-2012, 12:15 AM
In answer to your Q: Nope, and I have never seen it done or heard of it considered before, and I know a LOT of cyclists,

AngryScientist
02-28-2012, 07:16 AM
In answer to your Q: Nope, and I have never seen it done or heard of it considered before, and I know a LOT of cyclists,

same here.

unless its a show bike, i see no need to get the chain or drive components of a bicycle surgically clean anyway.

cfox
02-28-2012, 08:07 AM
same here.

unless its a show bike, i see no need to get the chain or drive components of a bicycle surgically clean anyway.
this is a great point. I've never understood the ultrasonic bath thing for bike chains. It's a bike chain...not a Rolex. Unless you are riding in an indoor velodrome, a bike chain gets covered with fine dust and grit the second you start pedaling it. Keeping it reasonably clean and lubed is more than adequate. It will last plenty long and then you spend $40-$70 and get a new one. There are plenty of lubes that have solvents that clean a chain and leave behind lube. They all work fine.

HenryA
02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Well one out of five isn't too bad for an answer to a simple question. :crap:

BTW:
Ultrasonics work great for cleaning a nasty derailleur, not just chains as assumed above. And it does matter (to me and the people who own the bikes) that while the bike is apart that it is cleaned thoroughly and completely.

But here I'm asking about steam cleaners for de-greasing small parts and assemblies.

AngryScientist
02-28-2012, 09:11 AM
lighten up - i was just offering my opinion on cleaning a bike to that level.

to the point: i dont think a steam cleaner will work well. steam is hot water, generally, you dont clean greasy stuff with water, since water is not a solvent for oily substances (Like grease). i would imagine that an ultrasonic cleaner, with a fluid that is a better grease solvent, like mineral spirits would work better.

avalonracing
02-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Well if your bike is black you can always use this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Bicycle-Restoration-Kit-Scrub-er-upper-Vintage-MTB-/170792672409?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item27c4095c99#ht_500wt_1309

Germany_chris
02-28-2012, 09:17 AM
A dealership I worked at once had a white shop floor. We used a steam cleaner to clean the floor of grease. I turned the steam cleaner loose on the inside of a my personal tool box drawer. It worked just fine, and yes it uses less solvant but it didn't work enough better to make me want to use it again. That may be because of the location though. I'd use one on cranks and derailleur pulleys and such but I don't think I'd use it on the chain.

keithreynolds
02-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Well if your bike is black you can always use this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Bicycle-Restoration-Kit-Scrub-er-upper-Vintage-MTB-/170792672409?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item27c4095c99#ht_500wt_1309

only 1? might have to buy just to secure future touch-up.
Also, have to ask - was this put up just for this thread?

eippo1
02-28-2012, 09:23 AM
I've talked to my mechanics at length about this topic (work part time in a shop) and they all agree that sparkling clean is not in the drivetrain's best interest. If you ask a Campy mechanic, they'll tell you to not even take the chain off until it's time to discard it.

The best way to clean derailleurs is with a brush, some degreaser and compressed air.

avalonracing
02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
only 1? might have to buy just to secure future touch-up.
Also, have to ask - was this put up just for this thread?

No, I just happen to come across it this morning when doing the daily "I'll check check ebay as I finish this cup off coffee... No really, I'm not going to buy anything, I'm just looking" thing.

toaster
02-28-2012, 10:46 AM
How is steam going to get your drive train clean?

Do you plan on blasting the drive train with pressurized steam or will the heat cause the dirt and oil to become more viscous and run off?

Soap works by attaching itself to molecules of water and molecules of oil or dirt and then being able move with the water off the surface it is cleaning. Water alone will not get much dirt or oil loose and hot water only a bit more.

Solvent or detergent soap is the only way you're going to accomplish cleaning a drive chain. I don't see steam doing anything worthwhile unless you add an agent to it.

Louis
02-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Paper towels and Simple Green.

It's not as if you have to eat off the thing, just ride it.

jmoore
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
I don't think it could hurt if say you aimed the steam at the point where the chain comes off the front chainring at the 6 o'clock position. All you are doing is blasting off the gunk from the chain. As long as you aren't aiming directly into the BB, the I don't see any issues with trying it.

ymmv

Kontact
02-28-2012, 11:28 PM
The point of using mineral spirits or even diesel is that it leaves at least some lubrication behind, and has no gas pressure to force its way into places where it can't be replaced.

Steam has both pressure and enough temperature to vaporize all lube and replace it with water vapor. I don't understand what good that achieves. Gasoline acts similarly, and will quickly rust a chain.

If you want improved performance, try using warm solvent or soapy water. The current clean tank non-mineral spirit option is warmed citris water.

ultraman6970
02-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Baby wipes are cheap and good. They get rid off of grease and dust like nothing.

Peter B
02-29-2012, 12:12 AM
Keep it clean to begin with.

I ride 100 miles. Takes 5 or 6 hours. Then I spend 10 minutes with a rag & 409 & even a q-tip if I'm really feeling anal; frame, components and wheels clean. Dribble some pro-link lube on the chain, wipe it down. Repeat if it was a wet/dirt ride. Floss the cassette and I'm done.

UKBROOKLYN
02-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Sorry but I have to say it.. Just when I was thinking how well informed the Paceline crew are... how could anybody ever ever think that a steam cleaner would be a good idea on a bicycle.. The whole thing is to keep water and water vapor out of your bearings and special rustable and corrodible bits.. A steam cleaner will introduce that great enemy right where you don't want it... Come on.. a bike is small enough how long does it possibly take to run a cloth over yr frame. And as far as drive train goes.. get a chain cleaner.. do it right..
Three ways to do it.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMGxiLc8jHE

victoryfactory
02-29-2012, 04:16 AM
Henry

there is a middle ground that allows you to get a very clean
bike fast without ripping the paint off or resorting to time
consuming tedium
spray the greasy bits with finish line citrus degreaser
brush the nasty stuff quickly
rinse with garden hose
dry with old t shirt
re lube with prolink

I've been doing this on all my bikes for many years and
have never had a problem
the whole procedure takes ten minutes

every Month or so I strap on the vicious spitting chain
cleaning device for a more thorough chain wash

VF

HenryA
02-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Sorry but I have to say it.. Just when I was thinking how well informed the Paceline crew are... how could anybody ever ever think that a steam cleaner would be a good idea on a bicycle.. The whole thing is to keep water and water vapor out of your bearings and special rustable and corrodible bits.. A steam cleaner will introduce that great enemy right where you don't want it... Come on.. a bike is small enough how long does it possibly take to run a cloth over yr frame. And as far as drive train goes.. get a chain cleaner.. do it right..
Three ways to do it.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMGxiLc8jHE

If you want to be sorry, be sorry for your own inability to read and comprehend the question.

I want some better method for cleaning really nasty bike drivetrains before taking the bike apart. All the oil and grease is going to be replaced at assembly and I fully understand the potential for bad effects from a typical "car wash" bike clean up.

Thanks for all the input and especially the parts that answer the question. The good news is that when this thread pops up in a search, it'll be abundantly clear not to car wash a bike.

jmoore
02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all the input and especially the parts that answer the question. The good news is that when this thread pops up in a search, it'll be abundantly clear not to car wash a bike.

LOL!!

lemondvictoire
02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Has anyone used one of the small household steam cleaners to clean a bike? I'm interested in an easy way to clean the drive train in particular. I am not asking about pressure washers or a trip to the car wash. Thanks in advance.

I used one to clean a just a cassette and it didn't do a very good job of cleaning it at all! A home steam cleaner is just good for home stuff only and just the sprays the dirty around(messy). Was a true waste of time and later just used simply green w/brush! Also tried a ultrasonic cleaner and it worked for a while and unit overheated(home type unit=Garbage)! :crap: