PDA

View Full Version : Look 585

axel23
02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Interested in opinions on the full carbon Look 585. Any experience over the long haul? Comfort, stiffness, frame anomalies - all that kind of stuff.
Thanks in advance

reggiebaseball
02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Look 585 is one of highest regarded production carbon bikes.
Exceptional ride quality made via lugged construction
discontinued as Look moved to monocoque Asian frames , this frame is made in France and Tunisia.
Look makes Their owntubes in house.

Very fewproblems with these frames that I know of. Check the lugs to make sure there is no separation.

Check year of frame and headset as look mved from integrated fsa to headfit system around 2008-09 but either works great.

Many people who primarily ride other materials like Ti or steel have a 585 as their only carbon frame, it is really highly regarded

BumbleBeeDave
02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
. . . and can vouch that's it's a wonderful riding bike. Mine is a Tunisia frame as far as I can tell and the workmanship is top notch.

Here is my Custom Bike section thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=95350

Are you looking at NOS or a used frame? If used, then I'd just suggest same as you would do for any frame, particularly carbon . . . get lots of pics and vette the seller's rep as thoroughly as you can.

Also try to find out if the frame you are looking at is the normal 585 or the "Ultra" model ,which is made with different carbon to be about 15% stiffer. I've got the regular one, and IT is a rocket sled! . . . Uh, make that a RED rocket sled! :)

BBD

flydhest
02-27-2012, 01:19 PM
they are fantastic. I have one. It is my primary race bike, but I have taken it on 75 to 100 mile rides, as well. My comparison bikes are a Serotta CSi and a Serotta Legend.

I am big. 6'2, currently down to 185 but have been up over 210 with look. It is great for me sprinting or climbing out of saddle. The Ultras are even stiffer and I haven't ridden one, but I am not convinced that I would want a stiffer frame.

Great in terms of both comfort and stiffness for me.

Other specific questions? I highly recommend the bike.

cfacink
02-27-2012, 01:27 PM
I am 6.0 190lbs and have a large...this bike is a pleasure to ride long and hard. The craftsmanship is excellent. If you can find one in new condition I would say buy it. Some days I wish it was not as good as it is because I would love to have a reason to buy another bike....

BumbleBeeDave
02-27-2012, 02:14 PM
My comparison bikes are my Serotta Legend (all Ti) and a specialized S-Works E5 aluminum. The LOOK combines the spring of the Ti and the stiffness of the aluminum very nicely.

LOOK as a long history in Carbon construction and innovation.

BBD

Ken Robb
02-27-2012, 02:53 PM
I had a 381i that was a wonderful bike. I often wondered how LOOK could have improved upon it with later models like the 585 so I would expect one of the later models to be excellent as well.

saab2000
02-27-2012, 04:23 PM
I had a 381i that was a wonderful bike. I often wondered how LOOK could have improved upon it with later models like the 585 so I would expect one of the later models to be excellent as well.

I just sold my 381. It was a terrific bike for me but it was time to move on. One of the real drawbacks was the odd sized 25.0 mm seatpost and the clamping mechanism, which put a lot of pressure on a very small spot of the post. I didn't feel good about this, to say the least.

But the huge plus of the 381 series was the sizing in 1cm increments. This was lost with the move to the 585.

I own two 585s, both in XL size. One is the regular and one is the Ultra. I can't tell if the Ultra is stiffer but it does seem a bit harsher riding. This could, of course, be due almost entirely to the fact that I use Continental Competition tubulars on the Ultra and Veloflex on the regular one. Otherwise the setup is identical.

I am torn on the sizing. I feel as though it's about 1cm too large in the seat tube and the top tube. It is not as dialed in for fit as my 381 was. Still, every other aspect of it is superior. The seatpost is a common 27.2 size and is tightened with a normal clamp. It is stiff. Workmanship is terrific. There is nothing wrong with a 585. There is a lot right with the 585.

If the sizing works for you it is an awesome frameset. Look was one of the original pioneers in carbon fiber construction and it could be argued that they brought it to the mainstream when Greg Lemond, Bernard Hinault and Andy Hampsten took 3 of the top 4 spots at the 1986 TdF on Look carbon bikes. They have been in steady production since then and have had a presence at the top of the sport for a long time. The other carbon makers of the day, Peugeot, Vitus, Alan and maybe some other fringe ones are all gone or reincarnated name brands. Look abides for good reason.

The Look 585 is certainly a pure race bike. I have no experience with a Colnago or Time or any of the other brands. In some ways it could be argued that the tube and lug construction of the 585 is a bit out of date, but it looks sharp and many folks pay a lot of money for that from Serotta or other brands.

Here is the one I keep out east. Did 50 miles on it today in flat, windy Virginia Beach.... Sorry about the seat bag... It's the bag to hold the spare tubular......

I wouldn't mind trying a Large of the same bike.....

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7069/6790272732_9bfed6c2ea_b.jpg

tv_vt
02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
I love mine!

Here's one on ebay now. Good starting price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Look-585-Origin-Frameset-XL-w-Fork-FSA-Headset-and-Ergo-4-Seat-Post-/110832569204?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item19ce22cb74

kramnnim
02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
I love mine, too.

I want a new frame (just for something shiny and new), but didn't know what to get as an upgrade, so I asked here on the forums- http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=103678

...I'm still at a loss as to what to look (hah) for. Still eyeing the 586, though.

laupsi
02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
I just sold mine, well about 8 months ago, to a starving bike messenger. He needed a new bike, was hit while riding during a delivery, so I sold him mine w/campy recored BB, Chris King HS for $350.00.

Honestly the bike was too big for me but it did ride extremely smooth. Not the lightest for carbon frame given the aluminum lugs but a nice ride all the same.

Go for it!

profkrispy
02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Mine was a wonderful bike, but approx. 1 cm too long in the top tube given the 73 degree seat tube angle. It did everything well. Wish I was into the 695 but it doesn't really do it for me.

http://www.spencesurfboards.com/images/look_update.jpg

flydhest
02-27-2012, 06:12 PM
saab,
If you decide to unload the Ultra, let me know. If I recall correctly, I'm just a bit bigger than you, so the XL is the perfect size for me, explaining why it is a bit large for you.

You in DC much these days? Let me know

saab2000
02-27-2012, 06:25 PM
saab,
If you decide to unload the Ultra, let me know. If I recall correctly, I'm just a bit bigger than you, so the XL is the perfect size for me, explaining why it is a bit large for you.

You in DC much these days? Let me know

Not in DC enough....

The bike is a bit big but yeah, you are an inch or two taller. I'm somewhere between the L and the XL, which is why I'm bummed that they got rid of the 1cm incremental sizing and size-specific geo, both of which were brilliant.

I'm based in Norfolk at the moment which is cycling purgatory but seniority bliss. Going back up north to either DCA or PHL later this spring/early summer. Hope we can ride again!

xodus
02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
I have Look 585 Pro SL, sz. small. This is my go to bike for do it all. It corners like its on rails. Very comfortable, even after 5 hours in the saddle. Stiff, yet compliant. Stable and reliable. For me, absolutely NO complaints!

sjbraun
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Like others, I really like my 585. I lucked into a NOS 2007 frame, fork and headset in 2009, built up but never sold, for $1500.
It rides a lot like my Pegoretti only lighter and generally quicker. Handling wise, it does anything I ask of it. It's quick, but never twitchy.
I'm happy to ride the bike all day and at 15.6 pounds (an XL with a mostly Chorus 10 build, pedals and cages,) it flies uphill.

I'd love to put 25mm tires on it, but I'd like a bit more clearance than 25s allow.

I haven't ridden any of the latest cf, (except for my Look, I'm pretty much a steel guy,) but I can't imagine anyone not being pleased to own a 585.

Steve

gianni
02-27-2012, 11:55 PM
I love the frame the best I've ridden! Bought my first 585 ultra in '08, sold it for an sl3 and found another ultra for this year and could not be happier --although, cosmetically its a little rough... but still okay and I love it.

If anyone has a medium Ultra in clean to mint condition, ping me if you want to sell.

flydhest
02-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Not in DC enough....

The bike is a bit big but yeah, you are an inch or two taller. I'm somewhere between the L and the XL, which is why I'm bummed that they got rid of the 1cm incremental sizing and size-specific geo, both of which were brilliant.

I'm based in Norfolk at the moment which is cycling purgatory but seniority bliss. Going back up north to either DCA or PHL later this spring/early summer. Hope we can ride again!

First round is on me!

axel23
02-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the hugely valuable input. Will decide this weekend and will post pictures if I buy.