PDA

View Full Version : Campy Shamals or HED customs (lame thread alert...)

wooly
02-26-2012, 02:21 PM
I know this is a silly post but I need some guidance to snap me out of my funk. You see I am planning a new "acquisition" next weekend at the show. And I've made the major decision to switch back to Campy. So chorus is on order and will be here on Tuesday. As a side note, I am weak and on the verge of changing the order to Record but that's another topic.

Now I am vacillating between 2012 Shamal Dark Label wheels or HED Belgiums laced to King R45 hubs. Both are about the same price. The HED's will take a bit longer to get because of a shortage of lower hole drilled rims from my wheel builder.

Now the frame they are going on. I got supremely lucky, and with a little help to my pal pdmtong here on the forum, I am picking up Richard Sachs' show bike next week. I went back and forth with E-Richie to ensure the frame would fit. Stars aligned because I think it's going to be perfect.

So the wheels are going on a lugged steel classic.

I've ridden both sets but never back to back. I had Shamals back in 2009 on a Parlee. But I currently have HED's laced to King r45's on my Speedvagen. They are fantastic but because they're Shimano, I am having to purchase a new set (too much $$ to convert). Plus I am thinking of getting gold hubs with black spokes and Belgium rim. Think the gold will go nicely with Richards yellow logo.

Nonetheless, I've been back and forth on this for two weeks and need to place the order for either one of these to ensure I have some wheels i can ride with the bike when I get her home from Sac-town.

Any thoughts, words of wisdom or a slap in the face to snap me out of this?

gone
02-26-2012, 02:39 PM
First off, congratulations on the Sachs! Cool score.

My vote is for the Heds. I've built a few sets of these and love the ride and I think the wheels as you describe them would look killer on the Sachs depending on the rest of the build.

Naturally, you'll post pictures when it's built so we can all drool!

Lovetoclimb
02-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Ridden the HED Ardennes before, C2 rims with the HED hubs, they were great. Not the best life out of the hubs, but you will have that solved by adding arguably the best on the market in CKs. While I do not have anything bad to say about Shamals, I would argue the handbuilt CKs to HED C2 rims are a much better wheel. I am currently building my Record 32 spoke hubs to the Velocity A-23 rim, a lower cost version of the HED C2.

Either way you go though you will have some nice hoops.

wooly
02-26-2012, 02:46 PM
I thought about the A23's. Especially because they are more readily available than the HEDs right now.

wooly
02-26-2012, 02:48 PM
First off, congratulations on the Sachs! Cool score.

My vote is for the Heds. I've built a few sets of these and love the ride and I think the wheels as you describe them would look killer on the Sachs depending on the rest of the build.

Naturally, you'll post pictures when it's built so we can all drool!

Thanks and yes, obligatory pics will be posted. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. All that I've been staring at are these:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9866331@N08/sets/72157629347735863/

Fixed
02-26-2012, 02:52 PM
ask R. S. i know you already know what nice cat he is ...
if it were me i'd lean toward campy wheels
imho :beer:

Uncle Jam's Army
02-26-2012, 03:02 PM
You know my thoughts on this one, wooly. Good luck with the decision. Fine wheelsets either way. Looking forward to seeing the RS in the flesh.

Grant McLean
02-26-2012, 03:27 PM
For $670 i'd likely just get Eurus

http://www.shinybikes.com/campagnolo-eurus-pair-wheels-black-clincher-2010.html

-g

firerescuefin
02-26-2012, 04:04 PM
HEDs and Kings :cool:

Ligero
02-26-2012, 10:40 PM
The HED's will take a bit longer to get because of a shortage of lower hole drilled rims from my wheel builder.

HED is no longer selling the lower hole count Belgium rims to anyone. They said custom builders had become too much competition to their prebuilt line of wheels that use the same rim. So there is not a shortage of rims, they are no longer available. It really sucks because that was my favorite alloy rim and would be the only alloy rim I built with if I had the choice.

akelman
02-26-2012, 10:48 PM
HEDs and Kings :cool:

What he said. Also, dude! That bike is amazing!

Blue Jays
02-26-2012, 11:42 PM
I own Campagnolo Shamal wheels (love 'em) and have similar HED wheels en route.
For the inbound RS you've suggested, I would opt for the Shamals. Enjoy your new bike!

Uncle Jam's Army
02-27-2012, 02:16 AM
HED is no longer selling the lower hole count Belgium rims to anyone. They said custom builders had become too much competition to their prebuilt line of wheels that use the same rim. So there is not a shortage of rims, they are no longer available. It really sucks because that was my favorite alloy rim and would be the only alloy rim I built with if I had the choice.

Are you serious? I assume this covers 24H? If so, that's a bummer.

Lionel
02-27-2012, 04:38 AM
RS + campy = good taste.

Record with the red accents will be nice with the Sachs red (it's red right?).

On the wheels, I would go with the Hed but I would not put a gold hub in there. Gold and the Sachs yellow decals would not be such a good match IMO.

veloduffer
02-27-2012, 07:30 AM
If you check my gallery link, I've got my Sachs on Velocity A23 rims laced to silver White Industries hubs and silver spokes. Very classic looking. I heard that the Velocity rims are now available in silver, so that would be even nicer.

fatallightning
02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Is this why I keep waiting and waiting for qbp to come back in to stock on 28h belgiums and it ain't happening?

oldpotatoe
02-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Is this why I keep waiting and waiting for qbp to come back in to stock on 28h belgiums and it ain't happening?

A23, nice rim. I have build enough of both to see that the A23 is a nice rim..also available in 28h.

oldpotatoe
02-28-2012, 08:10 AM

This is actually quite encouraging. By being a luddite in terms of selling hand built wheels only, I am having an indirect effect on those who have wheelsouttaboxes. Good, more power to Custom wheelbuilders!!

wooly
02-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. I decided to have a pair of HED Belgiums built up with black King r45 hubs and black Sapim CX Ray spokes, 24/28. The gold hub idea could've back fired on me so I went with a safe color. Cannot wait to get them.

Lionel
02-28-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. I decided to have a pair of HED Belgiums built up with black King r45 hubs and black Sapim CX Ray spokes, 24/28. The gold hub idea could've back fired on me so I went with a safe color. Cannot wait to get them.
:beer:

timto
02-28-2012, 10:31 AM

Yeah good call... i'd have done the same.

So is this your new steed? OH SWEETNESS!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7044/6887851279_7e76409980.jpg

wooly
02-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Yeah good call... i'd have done the same.

So is this your new steed? OH SWEETNESS!!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7044/6887851279_7e76409980.jpg

Yep - that's her!

firerescuefin
02-28-2012, 10:33 AM

Good call on the black hubs (and the build). Don't overthink it :)

Jeff N.
02-28-2012, 02:09 PM
I own Campagnolo Shamal wheels (love 'em) and have similar HED wheels en route.
For the inbound RS you've suggested, I would opt for the Shamals. Enjoy your new bike!
Absolutely. The Shamal Dark Labels are the most awesome wheels I've been on. Smooth rolling, brute-strong, not to mention great looking. Wups! Looks like I'm a little late.

pdmtong
02-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Yep - that's her!

so if a woman buys a bike she refers to it as "him"? I guess that makes sense since the contrary is not how I roll. :)

yes, beautifully classic!

Lionel
02-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Getting rid of that SRAM thing is a good idea.