PDA

View Full Version : sram BB/crank mystery

thegunner
02-25-2012, 06:48 PM
i know we have some shop owner/mechanic gurus here - so i'll throw out a problem i just ran into. i pulled the force crank off my bike to regrease the threads on the bb (random creaking). when i did, the DS dust cap was affixed quite firmly to the base of the crank shaft, pressed against the spider. now i can't get it off :o

any suggestions before i admit defeat and take it to a shop?

RacerJRP
02-25-2012, 07:00 PM
use something like a thin file to pry it up gently....work around the dust cap a little at a time not to damage the rubber or the metal inside. Happens to me every time I swap my quarq.

Hope that helps.

thegunner
02-25-2012, 07:41 PM
any other hints? haha i've been going at it with a really fine tipped file for about an hour now. i'm pretty sure i'm going to end up just breaking it off and buying a new bb at this rate.

FastVegan
02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Why not just leave it on? It will go back where it belongs once reinstalled.

thegunner
02-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Why not just leave it on? It will go back where it belongs once reinstalled.

mostly thinking about when i want to move the SRM from the other bike over to this one. gonna have to remember to swap dust caps on both cranks ha.

FastVegan
02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
I have a few bikes with gxp and I leave the ds
dust cap on the crank arms, rather than removing the cover just leave it on.

thegunner
02-26-2012, 01:08 AM
I have a few bikes with gxp and I leave the ds
dust cap on the crank arms, rather than removing the cover just leave it on.

while i understand this is fine, it technically doesn't solve the query of if i DID want it off...

FastVegan
02-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Try a 90deg pick http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OTC-4515/ also try to soak it in pb blaster, it may destroy the rubber seals, but it will be off.