PDA

View Full Version : Bike fitters in eastern ny

vandeda
08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Hey guys,

Who here has used a bike fitter in eastern NY? What were your experiences and would you go back?

I'm near Albany so my choices are Blue Sky Cycles or Steiner's Sports, both of which have fitters who've been though Serotta's advanced fitting class. Sacha has recommended Paul Levine of Signature Cycles near NYC. The drive to Signature is 2 hours each way, and it's a bit pricey at $375 plus traveling costs. But then again, Sacha trusts him.

So ... anyone have experiences and/or recommendations for me?

Thanks,
Dan

Larry D
08-19-2005, 04:47 PM
If you are willing to drive a couple of hours, check out Fit Werx in Waitsfield, VT (near Sugarbush). Ian and Sarah are very experienced,patient and thorough fitters and Vermont is beautiful. My wife and I each got our Serottas from them. They are great to deal with. Their web page is http://www.fitwerx.com/

David Kirk
08-19-2005, 05:14 PM
I'd give a hardy endorcement for the Folks at Blue sky....you can't go wrong. it's run and staffed by ex-Serottonians.

Dave

keno
08-19-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm a little confused with the $375 price on a fit from Paul. I just bought my Ottrott from him and the cost of fit was included in the bike price, and I know others who have purchased other models from him and he does not charge separately for the fit. Which Serotta are you buying?

As to Paul, he is a premier Serotta fitter, and he teaches the fit classes for Serotta. I have complete trust in his fitting skills. Moreover, his fittings are as complete as you can imagine. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at keno@blast.net.

keno

vandeda
08-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Keno,

The Sacha I mention in my message is Sacha White. Sorry, I wasn't clear about that. I'm getting a Vanilla, and Sacha recommended Paul.

David, I agree with what you say. But, I guess I have to say that good technical skills are part of the process/experience, and while on the phone with Blue Sky (not naming names though), I found myself being defensive in response to some comments made while just inquiring about the process. And I know I'm not the only one who's had such an experience. That is why I'm a bit hesistant and willing to travel some for both skill and service, which is why I asked for some opinions. But I also want to have an open mind too.

Thanks as always!
Dan

David Kirk
08-19-2005, 06:10 PM
If it's not comforatable I'd look elsewhere. Follow your gut.

Dave

Needs Help
08-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Paul Levine's reputation is legendary, but the problem is you first have to get fit by him, and then you have to go back to get the bike setup by him, and then if you find out the position needs some tweaking, you might have to go see him again. With the price of gas, that could get expensive.

CNY rider
08-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I've done a Legend with a fitting, and also had a LeMond built up at Blue Sky. They are the best shop i have ever dealt with. I understand you got a bad vibe on the phone, and you do have to follow your heart, but I can't say enough good things about the folks at Blue Sky.

08-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Paul levine is by far the best shop and fitter I have had the pleasure of using. I drive from near Philadelphia to signature cycles.

The process starts with physical evaluations physical limiters, stretches and interviews then onto the Bike spinning in your current set up and watching the spin scan. as you make changes to the postion You watch the progress Wattage increases, effeciency gains and comfort

Paul has set me up on two bikes as I prepped for 1/2
iron's and IMUSA. The process is very complete. As I was making decsions about my new bike the first person I called is Paul for guidance and advice. The service Paul provides goes far beyond a set up and fitting it extends as far as you need it.
The level of comfort and power I have are direct result of my position. 3-4 hours at a clip in my aero bars or solo centuries on the hoods I am far fresher than those that had been fit by anyone else.
The 375 can be lost on the newest carbon gadget save the money a very refined position will get you alot further than some new carbon bit.

wheelworks
08-19-2005, 07:51 PM
If you go to Blue Sky ask for Liz. She is very good!!

vandeda
08-19-2005, 08:56 PM
so it sounds like ... go to blue sky (and ask for Liz) and get good service, or spend some more and travel some more and get legendary service by Paul (so i guess that's why he's booked for 3 weeks). Wow, that's actually a tough choice.

But ... what's an extra ~$260 for a bike I'll be keeping for a long time?

Hmmmm ...

Thanks all!
Dan

Argos
08-19-2005, 09:06 PM
If Paul did his job properly (which he and the rest of the staff at Serotta do) then Blue Sky should provide you with an equivalent level of service.

The Idea of the school is to create a group of people that speak the same language, interpret phisological information from the fit and translate the information to Ben and Kelly in a uniform, clear, and repeatable fashion.

Not liking the Vibe of a certain person is perfectly understandable, whether it is someone at Blue or Paul (Have you seen his Jersey, very funny). However, when you choose to go to a fitter, the quality of the fit should be equal.

That is the point.

disclaimer: not affiliated with Paul or Blue Sky. Sure they both make a mean PB & J. Yes, I mean the sandwich. I like PB & J.

David Kirk
08-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Liz kicks arse.

Dave

Tom
08-20-2005, 07:09 AM
Anybody there will do a great job, can't speak to the vibe thing cause I am too dumb to notice.

Liz fitted Karen and me to our CSis and Jeff fitted me to the Legend and both of them nailed exactly what we wanted out of the bikes.

My neice went to Fitwerx and they set her up on her existing bike to get a ton more power out of it. You can't lose.

Ahneida Ride
08-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Vandeda

I heartly recommend Rick Trainer at Mountain Cycology in Ludlow Vt,
A sweet senic 90 ride from Albany. Rick is worth trip.
Rick has over 15 years of fitting experience. (802) 228-2722.

I have found the Vt. Serotta Shops superior to the NY shops.
Better attitude !
I visited all the local ( and many not local) shops before I purchased my Legend.

Send me a PM if ya have further questions.

vandeda
08-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm going to weigh my options now. I have more time to weigh my options because I broke my pinky toe today (and pretty bad too according to the doctor in the er) and am currently not allowed on a bike. I'll talk to them in a couple days when I see the orthopedics (or whatever they're called) and see when i can get back on the bike.

Thanks again though!
Dan