PDA

View Full Version : Chain stay protectors

ric426
08-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Has anyone come up with something for chainstay protection that's unobtrusive, but will stay put? My Fierte Ti came with a clear stick on protector that was reverting back to it's flat state right out of the box, especially over the decal on the chainstay. I used to use clear vinyl anti slip tape, like you'd use on stair steps, etc., but I haven't been able to find it anymore. I put some on a Merlin mountian bike in 1990 and it's still there.

Spinner
08-19-2005, 01:59 PM
If you have a plastic cutting board, you can press three to four layers of this stuff together being careful to eliminate any bubbles. Then, cut both ends with a razor blade for a nice uniform edge before mounting. ;)

george
08-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Chain stay protectors are like pocket protecters...nerd, nerd, nerd, nerd!!

dirtdigger88
08-19-2005, 03:17 PM

I would like to hear your logic on this one- I think you have been listening to too many bike shop goons

Jason

flydhest
08-19-2005, 03:20 PM
dirt,

I don't get it either. I mean, I'm a nerd, bona fide, but I don't use a pocket protector.

dirtdigger88
08-19-2005, 03:23 PM
lets see

steel- trash your paint

ti- trash your finish

carbon- trash your frame

aluminum- who cares trash away

I guess I am a card carring nerd- clear vinyl protectors on every bike I own

http://www.users.bigpond.com/adriansbruce/cartoons/nerd!.jpg

Jason

ric426
08-19-2005, 03:25 PM

Ok, so I'm a nerd. I can imagine what your chainstay looks like, unless you're just too darn cool to ever have a chain slap.

Kevan
08-19-2005, 03:25 PM
George. It's more like a big white broadcloth napkin, tucked into the collar, protecting a silk tie from a big sloppy plate of lasagna. It's a good thing.

Colorado Cyclist sells 10' strips of Bike Saver tape.

dirtdigger88
08-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Ok, so I'm a nerd. I can imagine what your chainstay looks like, unless you're just too darn cool to ever have a chain slap.

you dont get chain slap when you dont ride

Jason

cpg
08-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Send your frame to JB for a paint job and he installs the finest chain stay protectors. They're really thin and shaped correctly. Of course, JB installs them perfectly. Don't bother asking about what kind they are. He had them cut just for himself.

Curt

pjm
08-19-2005, 03:39 PM
When I had my CSI repainted by Serotta, they gave me one shaped to fit the s-bend chainstay. Hey Serotta - maybe you could offer these through the web store.

dirtdigger88
08-19-2005, 03:40 PM
I will give you a product review in 6 weeks

Jason

Ginger
08-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Yes, I barely noticed the JB chainstay protector until I was about to put one on my Kirk myself. Lovely.

ric426
08-19-2005, 04:48 PM
When I had my CSI repainted by Serotta, they gave me one shaped to fit the s-bend chainstay. Hey Serotta - maybe you could offer these through the web store.

They put one of those on my Fierte too, but it dosn't seem to stick to the Ti or the decal very well. I had troble getting one to stick on my old Merlin MTB too. I wouldn't think that it's harder to stick something to Titanium, but what do I know? I'm just a nerd... :rolleyes:

Chief
08-19-2005, 04:49 PM
For a couple of bucks you can buy at your local hardware store a roll of 3/4-inch by 10-feet 3M Decorate & Repair Tape that is clear and looks to be Mylar. I simply cut a piece to length and apply it. A single thickness seems to be sufficient. Whenever it gets to looking badly, I replace it. Colorado Cyclist also carries a protective tape in a 2-inch width for more than twice the price. I have never used the latter, but 2 inches seems much too wide for this application.

ric426
08-19-2005, 04:53 PM
For a couple of bucks you can buy at your local hardware store a roll of 3/4-inch by 10-feet 3M Decorate & Repair Tape that is clear and looks to be Mylar.

That's the kind of stuff I want, thanks. Time for a run to the hardware store.

george
08-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I would like to hear your logic on this one- I think you have been listening to too many bike shop goons

Jason

I don't mean any disrespect, it's just I never had a chain guard protector on my 2000 steel Rock Lobster or my 2004 Serotta cda. There are not any big visible nicks or blemishes.

ric426
08-19-2005, 10:33 PM
Chief you nailed it! The local hardware store had the 3M Decorate & Repair tape in 2 widths. I bought both sizes and spent less than $3. I cleaned the chainstay with alcohol, laid the tape on and smoothed it as I went. It looks good and I was able to follow the S curve perfectly. Good stuff. It looks like it'll stay in place better too.
Thanks for the tip!

Argos
08-19-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm with George. Plenty of miles. No chain slap. All kids of weather. No chain slap. I have a Decal on my driveside Chain stay. New as the day I bought it, 'cept that it's seen a few thou in miles. No mars on these stays.

ric426
08-19-2005, 11:29 PM
That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion, and you expressed it in a (somewhat) nicer way. I obviously do prefer some form of chainstay protection on my frame and I was asking about alternative ways to do that.

dirtdigger88
08-19-2005, 11:32 PM

i guess I took the nerd, nerd, nerd part wrong- my bad

Jason