PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cheap Disney Tickets?

Nooch
02-24-2012, 07:12 AM
The wife and I are headed down to Disney World for 5 days the first week of May, and I figured I'd check here if anyone knows anywhere to get cheaper park passes?

Just trying to do it as economically as possible :)

tele
02-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Isn't that title an oxymoron?

Check with AAA or craigslist. We went with the kids last year and the best deal, for us, was to do a package through Disney and use a code they sent out.

tuxbailey
02-24-2012, 08:32 AM
http://www.mousesavers.com/

That site will have deals updated frequently.

godfrey1112000
02-24-2012, 08:59 AM
I was able to retro fit one of the old coin changers you wore on your belt when you sold newspapers as a kid, it was able to dispense $20, $50 and $100 bills

you will need a box of money, depending on the age of your children,

If this is the first time and your Kids are under 8 years old, do at least 2 days

Give the kids a break/nap time you will be glad you did, I remember walking out the first day, it will take you about an hour to leave the park
at 430pm it was a war zone, crying kids/tired kids bratty kids everywhere,

we left and opened a couple of bottles of wine and went back the next day

It is an adult experience in dealing with the happiest place on earth, do it once or twice and then show them the beach

Nooch
02-24-2012, 09:14 AM
oh, no, just the wife and i (no kids yet).. we've been going to disney for the last 4-5 years every year, just this year we're trying to do it as cheaply as possible.. (whereas in years past, i would just pay full price for everything...)

PQJ
02-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Cheap disney tickets are the theme park equivalent of a Moots with bad welds.

How old are your kids? If your youngest is under 6 and you aren't Daddy Warbucks, my advice would be to not go. I think the experience is very much wasted on them, and I won't be returning until my youngest is at least that age, and perhaps a little older.

Edit: just saw your post above, so ignore second paragraph but I stand by the first.

oldguy00
02-24-2012, 09:44 AM

How old are your kids? If your youngest is under 6 and you aren't Daddy Warbucks, my advice would be to not go. I think the experience is very much wasted on them, and I won't be returning until my youngest is at least that age, and perhaps a little older.

Respectfully disagree, but I guess it depends on the individual kids.
We took our 3.5 year old boy to Disney Magic Kingdom and Sea World, and he loved both, had a blast. Sure, he wasn't big enough to go on -all- the rides, but more than enough. We stayed at the Swan resort, which had a great pool area (shared with the Dolphin resort).

Keith A
02-24-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm here in Central Florida and I don't have any input on cheap tickets since we usually do the year pass thing for Florida residents. However, I was curious if you were planning on doing all five days at Disney itself? There are a number of parks in the area such as Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Sea World as well as several water parks too. You also have Busch Gardens over in Tampa as an option.

Depending on the age of your kids, you may consider Universal as they have more rides geared towards older kids and adults. Our personal favorites have been Sea World and Busch Gardens...both of these places have a good mix of stuff to do for kids (and adults) of all ages. I also find that both of these parks don't feel quite as crowded and rushed as the other parks.

Most of the places have some connection to other parks and you can do the park hopper option which does save some money if you plan to visit multiple parks.

I personally don't love theme parks and would rather hang out at the beach and relax. If that sounds interesting, you might consider going to Tampa since it is close to the Gulf Coast and you could spend time on the beach and do the parks in that area too.

Finally, if you are spending the whole day at a park...bring some of your own food, snacks and water. Not only doesn't it cost a bunch to get into parks in the first place, but the food is expensive...especially when you are feeding a family. Some of the parks have these meal deals, which can be a little more cost effective. We always would bring food for lunch and then eat dinner either in the park if we were staying late or leave around dinner time and grab a something after we got out.

One last comment, several of these parks have rides that you might get wet (even soaked) so plan/dress accordingly if you want to do those rides.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help if I can.

Idris Icabod
02-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Costco has Disney passes/multi park passes, they are usually fairly good value

Nooch
02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm here in Central Florida and I don't have any input on cheap tickets since we usually do the year pass thing for Florida residents. However, I was curious if you were planning on doing all five days at Disney itself? There are a number of parks in the area such as Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Sea World as well as several water parks too. You also have Busch Gardens over in Tampa as an option.

Depending on the age of your kids, you may consider Universal as they have more rides geared towards older kids and adults. Our personal favorites have been Sea World and Busch Gardens...both of these places have a good mix of stuff to do for kids (and adults) of all ages. I also find that both of these parks don't feel quite as crowded and rushed as the other parks.

Most of the places have some connection to other parks and you can do the park hopper option which does save some money if you plan to visit multiple parks.

I personally don't love theme parks and would rather hang out at the beach and relax. If that sounds interesting, you might consider going to Tampa since it is close to the Gulf Coast and you could spend time on the beach and do the parks in that area too.

Finally, if you are spending the whole day at a park...bring some of your own food, snacks and water. Not only doesn't it cost a bunch to get into parks in the first place, but the food is expensive...especially when you are feeding a family. Some of the parks have these meal deals, which can be a little more cost effective. We always would bring food for lunch and then eat dinner either in the park if we were staying late or leave around dinner time and grab a something after we got out.

One last comment, several of these parks have rides that you might get wet (even soaked) so plan/dress accordingly if you want to do those rides.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help if I can.

In the interest of not renting a car, our MO is to stay on disney property, take the magical express to and from the airport, and avoid the other parks.. we just enjoy the area, the parks, the rides -- sure it's the same thing every time, but it brings us back to our youth, and there's nothing wrong with that. the happiest place on earth certainly rings true for my wife, and for me, it's a matter of consistency -- i know what to expect as far as service and whatnot from the trip.

so yeah, all 5 days will be spent at the disney parks.

Chad Engle
02-24-2012, 11:05 AM
We bought ours direct from the Disney website. They honored deals that were offered after we purchased our package, just had to keep checking the website. Pretty good deal, iirc we ended up getting our meal package for free. :beer:

Bradford
02-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Mousesavers is a good source. You won't save a ton, but you'll save a couple of bucks.

There are plenty of ways to save money at Disney...just not with tickets. Check out the DIS boards and start to read through as many threads as you can to find ways to save money. Sometimes getting an annual pass gets you discounts on lodging that makes it worth while. An annual pass also enables you to buy a Tables in Wonderland pass, which gets you discounts on food and can save you money if you are planning to eat there.

I like your plan of not renting a car. I'd rather stay at a Disney hotel (or the Swan/Dolphin) and take their transportation.

I've been to Disney about 20 times, the last 3 with kids. I'd go every year if I could. I've been alone, been with just my wife, and started my son off when he was one. All are great experiences, you just do different things depending on who is there. Five days is not nearly as many as it sounds like. PM me if you want more info, or just spend a ton of time on the DIS boards.

Nooch
02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
We bought ours direct from the Disney website. They honored deals that were offered after we purchased our package, just had to keep checking the website. Pretty good deal, iirc we ended up getting our meal package for free. :beer:

yeah, i've got my fingers crossed they offer up a free meal plan before we go...

tele
02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
yeah, i've got my fingers crossed they offer up a free meal plan before we go...
keep checking there or mousesavers, thats where I got a code for like 30% off our room, which was big $$. They applied the code retro so it pays.

Joel
02-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Yes, to most of the above, you need to scout around.

Now for what not to do.

Don't buy tickets from the guys who have the little booths set up at various gas stations offering 'discount' tickets. There's been a ton of fraud and you're going to hate life - and your kids will hate you - when you show up at the park and can't get in.

Big tourist racket down here...

GuyGadois
02-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Craigslist. Done it and you can save a bunch. We also buy a multi day pass at Costco and it is usually the cheapest I have found.

GG

AngryScientist
02-24-2012, 01:26 PM
i've done this a few times, not the cheap way though. if we go again, i would prefer to stay at the swan/dolphin/boardwalk. the more adult side of disney, so it seems.

now, you may think there is not much of an opportunty for cycling workouts in disney - you would be wrong. alternate these two workouts and you'll come back to NJ ready to kick some butt. :D

w/o #1:

rent the surry bike, the big one for an hour: proceed to ride the "bike", by yourself criterium style around the big lake, for an hour. now there's a workout.

http://www.industrialbicycles.com/imagesindustrial/Surrey10.jpg

w/o #2

swan boats my friend, swan boats. find the fittest looking guy at your hotel and call him out to a swan boat race. winner takes all. put your heart and soul into pedaling that thing. money.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cIEJkD82e60/TA8UPMoeAdI/AAAAAAAAC14/YmfFfFXR5Sw/s1600/swan-boat.png

Nooch
02-24-2012, 01:31 PM
and here i was going to stuff the fixed gear (if it hasn't sold) in a box and bring it with me...