PDA

View Full Version : Paceline NAHBS dinner?

David Kirk
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
For years now a number of us have gotten together at NAHBS for a forum dinner and held our glass high to forum friends and to Serotta for giving us a place to hang out.

Well the more things change the more they stay the same so now the dinner would be called the "Paceline dinner" but otherwise it would be the same.

Anyone have interest in getting together and talking bikes and shinny objects?

Dave

fourflys
02-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Dave,
I'm down for it... I've made plans to come up for the show and will have the time... are you thinking Saturday?

Chris

David Kirk
02-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Dave,
I'm down for it... I've made plans to come up for the show and will have the time... are you thinking Saturday?

Chris

Saturday night has always been the traditional night - sounds good by me.

dave

eddief
02-23-2012, 09:21 PM
not challenging, but the American River Parkway is 35 miles of the smoothest, best maintained, ribbon of pavement I have ever ridden on. might be there with bike and hunger.

don compton
02-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Steve Rex has a friend that has a great restaurant "Hot Italian". They love cycling. Check it out.
Don C.

troymac
02-24-2012, 05:53 AM
Sounds fun I'll be coming off my shift from the show.

Dave Wages
02-24-2012, 06:49 AM
My brother and I are in!

David Kirk
02-24-2012, 09:06 AM
My brother and I are in!

Cool - is anyone local to Sacramento and know a good spot for dinner within walking distance of the show?

dave

RudAwkning
02-24-2012, 10:25 AM
If "the two Daves" are in, I guess I'm in too.

troymac
02-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Found a good local spot for dinner. Exchanged PMs with Dave Kirk. The restaurant is called Lucca http://www.luccarestaurant.com/. Talked with manager and he can get us in around 8:00 on Saturday night.

David Kirk
02-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Found a good local spot for dinner. Exchanged PMs with Dave Kirk. The restaurant is called Lucca http://www.luccarestaurant.com/. Talked with manager and he can get us in around 8:00 on Saturday night.

Very cool - I wonder if we could get in earlier? The show ends at 6:00 on Saturday and it would be clean and easy if we could meet right in the show and all walk together to dinner.

Do you think that's a possibility?

dave

troymac
02-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Ill call the GM again and see.We could walk in I'm sure. I'll post after I talk with them again.
Troy

David Kirk
02-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Ill call the GM again and see.We could walk in I'm sure. I'll post after I talk with them again.
Troy

What time do you think would be best? The show closes at 6:00 and I'll be ready to walk out at 5 after. How long a walk is it?

dave

troymac
02-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Talked with manager and got us scheduled at 6:30 for 20 or so.

Johny
02-24-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm in!

troymac
02-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Its about a block and 1/2 .02 mile walk south on J st. The convention center is 1400 J and the restaurant is 1615 J.

August
02-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Count me in.

fourflys
02-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Talked with manager and got us scheduled at 6:30 for 20 or so.

sweet!

stackie
02-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Please count me in also,

Jon

Peter B
02-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Expect I'll be there too. Ari, you in?

David Kirk
02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey there,

I think it's a good idea to bump this thread and put a bow on it.

First - all are welcome and encouraged to join us. It will be a casual dinner with other good folks from the Forum along with a few industry folks, builders and painters. Bringing your family along is very cool - the more the merrier. There will of course be some 'bike talk' but traditionally we end up talking about a wide ranging number of things...........so if your spouse rolls their eyes back into their heads at the thought of more bike talk this will be a welcome respite.

Next - some basic logistics - for simplicity's sake lets just meet at my booth (one of the few places I'll be able to find!) at the close of business on Saturday. We can get together there and then walk as a group over to dinner.

Sound good?

dave

fourflys
02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
sounds like a plan Dave, thanks for thinking of this!

BumbleBeeDave
02-27-2012, 08:30 PM
. . . so everyone will be sure to see it.

Just please, PLEASE somebody take some pictures at the dinner and post them here! :crap: :D

BBD

ckamp
02-28-2012, 12:07 AM
I will stop by! Thanks David for organizing.

Steve in SLO
02-28-2012, 12:10 AM
I will drag GuyGadois along...if he has stopped drooling by then. Looking forward to it! :beer:

dana_e
02-28-2012, 07:40 PM
I live in Sac, woo hoo

I sit best to hit Friday and/or is Saturday usually packed?

Thanks, D

David Kirk
02-28-2012, 08:52 PM
I live in Sac, woo hoo

I sit best to hit Friday and/or is Saturday usually packed?

Thanks, D

The dinner is of course on Saturday but the show has the most elbow room on Friday.

dave

troymac
03-01-2012, 05:53 PM
. . . so everyone will be sure to see it.

Just please, PLEASE somebody take some pictures at the dinner and post them here! :crap: :D

BBD

I will post some photos as i will have my camera from the show as I'm shooting for the NAHBs blog :banana:

akmonkey
03-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm having trouble posting a new thread, so I'll ask a somewhat related question here.

I'm traveling to the show with a friend and we'd like to ride Saturday and/or Sunday morning. Can anyone recommend a shop in Sacramento that rents road bikes? Are there rentals/demos available at the show?

I look forward to meeting some of you guys at Dave's booth on Saturday afternoon.

Jim

fourflys
03-02-2012, 11:55 AM
so it looks like I will not be attending NAHBS or the dinner... I was about an hour into the drive North when my 3 y/o started throwing up in the car... she was looking not very well to begin with so we turned around and came back home...

oh well, have fun and post lots of pictures!

airbonner
03-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Jim
Check here:
http://www.sacbike.org/sacbiking/rentals.shtml

airbonner
03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm having trouble posting a new thread, so I'll ask a somewhat related question here.

I'm traveling to the show with a friend and we'd like to ride Saturday and/or Sunday morning. Can anyone recommend a shop in Sacramento that rents road bikes? Are there rentals/demos available at the show?

I look forward to meeting some of you guys at Dave's booth on Saturday afternoon.

Jim

Jim, you might check here:
http://www.sacbike.org/sacbiking/rentals.shtml

Johny
03-02-2012, 11:44 PM
so it looks like I will not be attending NAHBS or the dinner... I was about an hour into the drive North when my 3 y/o started throwing up in the car... she was looking not very well to begin with so we turned around and came back home...

oh well, have fun and post lots of pictures!

Hope she is ok. Take care.

fourflys
03-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Hope she is ok. Take care.

thanks, she is feeling better now... I just did not want to risk a 10hr drive with a sick 3 y/o...

Johny
03-04-2012, 12:19 AM
thanks, she is feeling better now... I just did not want to risk a 10hr drive with a sick 3 y/o...

Glad to hear that she is feeling better. You did the right thing. There will be another show and dinner for us.

We just finished dinner about half an hour ago. Somebody took pictures so maybe we will see them soon. It was great seeing old friends and meeting new ones. It's nice sitting next to Joe Bell and Brian Smith and chatting with them. Sorry I did not get a lot of chance to talk with many of you...next time. Thanks!

Cheers,

John

troymac
03-04-2012, 02:11 AM
Thanks to all who attended the dinner. Good food fun laughs and better friends. Here is some pics of the folks.

Louis
03-04-2012, 02:39 AM
Good food fun laughs and better friends. Here is some pics of the folks.

A motley crew, if I ever saw one. ;)

Glad you guys are having fun.

Johny
03-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks to all who attended the dinner. Good food fun laughs and better friends. Here is some pics of the folks.

Thank you Troy for making it happen and the pics! It's nice meeting you!

John

Ahneida Ride
03-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Wish I coulda been there !

Steve in SLO
03-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Had a great time talking to Troymac, Karen and Dave. We went out with Mike Lopez afterwards and had a few beers. Joe Bell is also a hoot, and worthy of anybody's business. It was a fun time.

fourflys
03-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Had a great time talking to Troymac, Karen and Dave. We went out with Mike Lopez afterwards and had a few beers. Joe Bell is also a hoot, and worthy of anybody's business. It was a fun time.

so bummed... I think I was looking forward to the dinner almost as much as the show...

Steve- we have to hook up for coffee at least when I roll though SLO this summer...

akelman
03-04-2012, 12:28 PM
so bummed... I think I was looking forward to the dinner almost as much as the show...

Steve- we have to hook up for coffee at least when I roll though SLO this summer...

I share your sense of disappointment. But like you, I was at home with a sick little one. Oh well, there's always next year.

fourflys
03-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I share your sense of disappointment. But like you, I was at home with a sick little one. Oh well, there's always next year.

for sure Ari... BTW- I plan to check out the Hall of Fame in Davis on our trip North this summer... I need to hit you up for coffee as well...

Smiley
03-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Joe Bell having dinner with u guys and he's not painting frames :)

Karin Kirk
03-04-2012, 11:13 PM
The dinner worked out perfectly. Major props to TroyMac for selecting an excellent restaurant and arranging everything. I always enjoy the 20+ person posse that ambles from the convention center to the restaurant, sort of like an annual forum parade. :)

Our end of the table contained Steve (in SLO) Guy Gadois (AKA Dan), Troy and Ken. It's always so fun to meet like-minded forum folk and it's a highlight of NABHS.

Sacramento wins hands-down as my favorite NAHBS host city yet, no contest! Fantastic weather, a very pleasant setting and most of all, an abundance of cycling enthusiasts. 3 days at the show flew right by with all the neat conversations we had.

Looking forward to next year! :beer:

troymac
03-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Yes it was a fun time great to meet the Kirks, Steve Dan & and others. Dave you've got a real winner for a partner in life. To everyone thanks for a wonderful time and I'm pleased you enjoyed our city. We'd love to have NAHBS back. :hello:

pdmtong
03-04-2012, 11:40 PM
I am sorry I missed it...after meeting dave, karin and dave (wages) I am sure it would have been a lot of fun just to talk story with them...rather than mundane stuff like STA and welds...

Peter B
03-05-2012, 12:03 AM
I am sorry I missed it...after meeting dave, karin and dave (wages) I am sure it would have been a lot of fun just to talk story with them...rather than mundane stuff like STA and welds...

Indeed it was!

GuyGadois
03-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Thanks Troymac for organizing the dinner - awesome place. Good time chatting with Dave, Karin, Ken and all others. Thank to Steve for getting me home safe even with an accelerator that occasionally got stuck in the open position :eek:

Cheers

GG