PDA

View Full Version : How often does you saddle wear out?

flydhest
08-19-2005, 01:13 PM
I just noticed that my 4 year old saddle is wearing out on the side. The leather is worn through a bit and some padding/shell is showing.

Had this happen on another saddle--Rolls Selle San Marco--that I love and ride on my fixie despite the wear.

How often do you wear out saddles?

Spectrum Bob
08-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Flydhest,
Your saddle is just trying to match your bibs. ;)
Spectrum Bob

lnomalley
08-19-2005, 01:37 PM
shoot, i go through at least a couple a season. 2 during the winter months during base miles (rain and long long rides, and 1 or two during the race season.. usually because of a crash). so if you got 4 years.. that's epic. minimum without racing would prolly be 2.... (aspide).

usually the 'spine' starts to get too flexy or droops or the leather just wears out. and i'm light-ish too.... so.

harlond
08-19-2005, 01:39 PM
I just noticed that my 4 year old saddle is wearing out on the side. The leather is worn through a bit and some padding/shell is showing.

Had this happen on another saddle--Rolls Selle San Marco--that I love and ride on my fixie despite the wear.

OT, and you may already know this, but Nashbar is selling NOS San Marco Rolls for $24.95. Got 2 last weekend with a coupon for under $20 each.

Sandy
08-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Not such an easy question to answer and get much useful or accurate info. Saddles, like tires, chains, cassettes,... wear out as a function of use. Some cyclists have multiple bikes, and hence wear out saddles, on a time basis, much slower than if they only had one bike. There is a tremendous difference in the number of miles that a cyclist rides. Even riding styles and rider characteristics, such as weight make a significant difference relative to saddle wear.

The saddle on my CSi wore out while it was being used on my Ottrott. A new saddle on my CSi will never wear out at the present rate of riding my CSi, since the CSi sits and is never ridden.

A better question might be how many miles do you think that you get on your saddle. But to better answer your question, which is a good one, my saddles lused o last about 3 years or so, now about 2 years.

So So Sandy

Andreu
08-19-2005, 01:51 PM
about 4-5 years out of a saddle but I have a winter bike which takes some of the mileage load off. I would be interested to know how long a Brooks saddle lasts?
Thanks
A

MartyE
08-19-2005, 02:03 PM
about 4-5 years out of a saddle but I have a winter bike which takes some of the mileage load off. I would be interested to know how long a Brooks saddle lasts?
Thanks
A
treated well a Brooks can last decades!
Anyone have an idea of life expectancy of an Aliante?

marty

Smiley
08-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Fly , better your saddle wearing out then your shorts , Oh Holey one :)

Try riding a Brooks , real men ride real leather buddy

zap
08-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Most of my saddles are 11+ years old. And get this, they have carbon fibre rails too!

Real men ride carbon fibre made by teutonic gods

george
08-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Ride it untill your a$$ tells you to but a new one :D

weisan
08-19-2005, 02:59 PM

May I suggest you reserve your most intense workout within the four walls of your bedroom instead of taking it out on a saddle built specifically for a different purpose.

ps. Sorry fly-pal, you and csb often being the chief instigators of body-parts-related-discussions around here, I couldn't resist when the opportunity presents itself. :D

keno
08-19-2005, 04:38 PM
in my short riding career on two San Marco Regal saddles and no thought of replacement yet. I don't count the marks and tears from leaning against bad materials, including the road from time to time, as wearing out.

keno

wasfast
08-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Anyone have an idea of life expectancy of an Aliante?

I have 2 of them and both have issues with less than a year of use. They're both Ti rails models. Neither have been crashed or abused in any way except for having my butt placed on them :-)

The rails on one of them have come loose in the rear where they are overmolded on the plastic portion. It squeaks despite some lube. It's currently on my winter bike.

As far as the plastic portion wearing out, probably never.

palincss
08-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks
A

I got 20 years out of the Brooks Pro on my old Paramount (bike was stolen after that). My Spectrum Ti has a Brooks Pro on it that went into service in 1991, easily 20,000 miles ago.

Air Jer
08-19-2005, 05:51 PM
I have heard others say and I have read elsewhere that there are many Brooks saddles out there that have 20+ years of use. I can't confirm but if God allows me enough time on the face of this earth, I will check back in with you in 18 years an let you know. In the meantime, both of my road bikes have B 17s now and I will never sit on any other saddle due to the comfort.
I am still astounded. $8,000 for a frame? That's another thread but my jaw dropped when I read that. I bet a Brooks outlasts it!