PDA

View Full Version : Rx sunglasses or contacts and non Rx?

flydhest
02-23-2012, 07:24 PM
What are people's views. Corrective eye surgery is not in the cards anytime soon, I don't think, so the defective soul that I am, I have to choose between contacts and sunglasses or Rx sunglasses.

What are people's experiences? Which do you prefer, and more importantly why?

Bob Loblaw
02-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I love my Rx sunglasses. Makes a huge difference, especially downhill at speed.

Never could get my mind around contacts, but many do like them. Seems the potential for eye irritation and losing them mid ride is much greater.

BL

Louis
02-23-2012, 07:31 PM
I gave up completely on contacts about 10 years ago - too many minor eye irritations.

But even when I did wear contacts, it was more convenient to do Rx sunglasses on the bike. Between the sweat, wind, dust, etc, my eyes were much happier without the contacts in.

93legendti
02-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I like contacts and sunglasses because you more options and with the contacts I wear, it's easier to order more contacts...

Bruce K
02-23-2012, 07:34 PM
I guess it depends on what you normally wear

If you are a contact person then stay with them - it's cheaper

If you wear glasses then there are lots of good options on Rx riding glasses with lots of different tints as well as transitions

BK

Louis
02-23-2012, 07:35 PM
with the contacts I wear, it's easier to order more contacts...

Good point. I used gas-perms, which I believe are rougher on the eyes than soft lenses.

bargainguy
02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
I like contacts and my oakley m-frames, especially the "Heater" (vented) model that allows sweat through. I do the contact cleaning religiously and it's really not much of a problem.

Don

eddief
02-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Rudy Project has a solution. clear RX underneath, flip sun on the top. Replacement parts are not cheap either, but I love my previous version RB3 model:

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=1&cat_id=1&item_id=SN968692

I also think the website does not effectively describe the whole package.

thinpin
02-23-2012, 08:00 PM
I use Rx rudy project most of the time. However on humid days when climbing I perfer the contacts. I can take the sunnies off when fogging and still see. Cant do that wearing rx inserts. So a combo works for me.

Louis
02-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Replacement parts are not cheap either, but I love my previous version RB3 model:

Eddie, did you ever find a replacement Rx lens frame? From where did you buy it, and how much was it?

TIA

FlashUNC
02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Contacts and regular shades.

Got contacts just for riding and workouts. Mostly wear glasses otherwise, just because I'm lazy.

eddief
02-23-2012, 08:10 PM
or do you use those glasses too :) ?

Today I called Rudy. They stock the RX insert at $85 big ones.

However, the lovely who answered the phone said I could send in my broken one and they would award me a warranty replacement at $20 smaller ones. That seemed reasonable. So went to website, printed out form, and sent in both the offending RX insert and a malfunctioning flip up mechanism. By the way, my insert did not malfunction. I dropped the glasses on the pavement and it cracked. But $20 seems like the right price regardless. $85 seems like a BF.

Eddie, did you ever find a replacement Rx lens frame? From where did you buy it, and how much was it?

TIA

flydhest
02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
So for those who do the Rx sunglasses, what do you do when light conditions change? Do you have the photosensitive lenses that change tint? I have contacts and ride with sunglasses, and frequently have rides where they are on some and off some.

Louis
02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
or do you use those glasses too :) ?

Yup, I also have RB3's.

I ask because the inner frame on my old Bolle's broke, so I was wondering if I should get some Rudy's just in case. At that price I think I'll wait and hope that they'll still have them if I need them.

I'll ignore your admission of grand theft, glasses.

Louis
02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
So for those who do the Rx sunglasses, what do you do when light conditions change? Do you have the photosensitive lenses that change tint? I have contacts and ride with sunglasses, and frequently have rides where they are on some and off some.

The only time this is a problem for me is at the very end of rides, when I push it and find myself riding way after sunset. In my case the Rudy RB3's flip up, so I do last mile or so with the shades up.

Not me:

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/images/action-shots/exception.jpg

Bruce K
02-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Yes, I had my last set of Rx lenses for my Rudy Project Rydons done in transitions.

They are not as dark and my older polarized set (but I can read the computer!), and they don't go as light as non-tinted (but I have driven with them at night).

For everything but the most extreme riding conditions they're fine.

And no fogging as there is no insert.

BK

kayten
02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
I use daily wear disposable contacts underneath my shades. Better option IMHO against Rx lenses. I'm always afraid of losing my glasses during a crash situation, which has happened before.

kio

54ny77
02-23-2012, 09:00 PM
i wish i could wear contacts as it would open up a world of sunglass options. could never get the hang of 'em, however. plus irritated my eyes.

jtakeda
02-23-2012, 09:31 PM
I have RX Sunglasses and wish I had just got contacts. You don't have to carry a pair of regular glasses around for night AND if your vision happens to change it is quite costly to get replacement lenses.

bargainguy
02-23-2012, 09:38 PM
FWIW, contact lens technology has changed a lot since I started wearing them, oh, maybe 25 years ago. First time I had them put in, I almost passed out. Now it's just a matter of course. If you haven't tried a pair lately, might be worth checking out. The thing I love best over glasses is having peripheral vision.

Don

Louis
02-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Personally, even though I'm a 100% glasses guy, I would start off by trying contacts + non-Rx sunglasses with good wrap-around protection for cycling. Especially if you're wearing soft contacts. If that works, great. If for whatever reason it doesn't work, there are several good Rx sunglasses available to the cyclist, some which use tinted Rx lenses, some with separate inserts.

vqdriver
02-23-2012, 10:14 PM
I think it depends on how natural it is for you to wear contacts. Some people just can't wear them, myself included, for whatever reason. Just too uncomfortable, irritation, hassle, etc.... If you wear contacts day to day I'd go with the non rx sunglasses and consider myself lucky to have that option.

deechee
02-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Depends on your prescription.

I have a strong prescription (-5) and I much prefer contacts + regular sunglasses. My prescription sunglasses weigh too much and aren't fun to run in. Also, when you go indoors/tunnel I prefer to be able to take off my sunglasses.

That said, I wear my prescrip sunglasses for commuting. Definitely convenient.

If its your first time, why not go to an optometrist and try? Usually they'll give you the first pair of contacts for free...

farmallguy
02-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I use Rudy project with the Rx insert. They have interchangeable tinted lenses to match the conditions. But I usually use a red Photochromatic which changes with light levels and red has a better contrast rating which helps pick out the potholes in the shade. Lots of flexibility with the insert since you can change the Rx over the years without buying a new tinted lens, and my insurance will cover the Rx lens.

Bob Ross
02-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Which do you prefer, and more importantly why?

Contact lenses are a necessary evil for me; my eyes get very uncomfortable after a few hours wearing them, sometimes to the point of excrutiating pain. So I tend not to wear them very often.

otoh, I love the peripheral vision I get with contact lenses and a nice pair of wraparound cycling glasses! Or, frankly, even a cheap pair of wraparound cycling glasses. But, in addition to the myopia & astigmatism that my contact lenses correct for, I also suffer from age-related presbyopia, which my contacts don't correct for...so if I'm doing a ride that requires a cue sheet, I can't wear contacts.

Mostly, I wear custom Rx cycling glasses, which are bifocals that address myopia, astigmatism, and presbyopia. They were expensive as all fcuk, but worth every penny. If I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd order two more pairs (one w/ nightime lenses, and one with transition lenses).

So, in summary: Rx glasses 95% of the time, contacts + normal glasses 5% of the time.