PDA

View Full Version : there is nothing I like less....

bikerboy337
02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
than cutting the steerer on a nice new expensive fork...that seems to be the only build item that I worry about....haven't messed up yet, but the thought of miscutting an enve 1.0 makes me anxious...

was successful this am, but still, I doublecheck my measurements again and agian and stress witn each pass of my hacksaw...

that is all

:beer:

gone
02-23-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't mind doing it but this is definitely one of those "measure once, cut twice" kinds of things.

Or is it the other way around :confused:

cmg
02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
what hacksaw blade did you use? i'll be doing this soon and i'm wondering.

Fishbike
02-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Installing saddles on certain seatposts often makes me utter a few naughty words. So much harder than it should be.

AngryScientist
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
there is nothing i like less than cutting an expensive fork steerer....

http://cubiclebot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/first-world-problems.jpg?cb5e28

bikerboy337
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
used a 32 tpi blade,make sure its newish or new, a cutting guide and scotch tape around the steerer...I'm told the tape helps, not sure,but figure it can't hurt.... Just measure a few times, mark, and cut slowly, don't put a ton on pressure onit as you cut..

its reqlly easy, I just always worry that I've measured wrong... Once its cut, there is no going back...

Louis
02-23-2012, 10:21 AM
If you're really worried, cut it long and use a spacer on top of the stem. After a few weeks of riding, when you're convinced that it's right, cut it again.

Joachim
02-23-2012, 10:23 AM
If you're really worried, cut it long and use a spacer on top of the stem. After a few weeks of riding, when you're convinced that it's right, cut it again.

+1. With a new fork or new frame, I leave a 12mm CK spacer on top. Once I'm happy with the fit, I cut and drop it down to a 6mm CK spacer on top.

thwart
02-23-2012, 10:40 AM
... and don't cut all the way through... it'll tend to splinter. Do a cut from the other side at the very end.

And careful with that file, Eugene. It'll tend to do the same splinter thing.

Don't ask me how I know...

MattTuck
02-23-2012, 10:40 AM
+1. With a new fork or new frame, I leave a 12mm CK spacer on top. Once I'm happy with the fit, I cut and drop it down to a 6mm CK spacer on top.

Depending on your fitness/flexibility through out the year, it's not always a bad thing to have some extra play. Start it a little higher in the spring, lower it as the season progresses.

Depends if you're a go getter and ride/stay fit all winter, or if you're like me, and find yourself every spring saying "next winter, I'm going to ride more and stay in better shape."

gone
02-23-2012, 11:42 AM
And careful with that file, Eugene.
Vague Pink Floyd reference :D

Dave Wages
02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
than cutting the steerer on a nice new expensive fork...that seems to be the only build item that I worry about....haven't messed up yet, but the thought of miscutting an enve 1.0 makes me anxious...

was successful this am, but still, I doublecheck my measurements again and agian and stress witn each pass of my hacksaw...

that is all

How about cutting a frame in half to braze in couplers!

The first time I did this at Waterford it was a bit nerve racking. Now, after doing a few hundred or so it's pretty much old hat, but still a bit strange hacking a section out of the top and down tubes of a finished frame.

cmg
02-23-2012, 03:57 PM

The first time I did this at Waterford it was a bit nerve racking. Now, after doing a few hundred or so it's pretty much old hat, but still a bit strange hacking a section out of the top and down tubes of a finished frame.

happen to have a photo of the finished product? looks kind of cool.

fallen86
02-23-2012, 04:12 PM

i think that takes the cake on nerve wrecking-ness

Dave Wages
02-23-2012, 04:15 PM
happen to have a photo of the finished product? looks kind of cool.

Here are a couple pics of the unfinished frame shown above. One of the complete bike, and another nice shot of the couplers. This bike was on display at last year's NAHBS in Austin.

Cheers,
Dave

Chance
02-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Isn't that why you guys get the big bucks? ;)

By the way, very nice work on finished product.

oldpotatoe
02-23-2012, 06:07 PM

that is all

"Cut it 3 times and it's STILL too short"

BTW-for the other guy, use a new 32 tooth hacksaw and a guide and all will be OK

Bob Loblaw
02-23-2012, 07:14 PM
I do it sort of backwards, such is my degree of paranoia. I assemble the bike completely and then do the fit, even take a round-the-block test ride, before I cut the fork. Once the fit is in the ballpark, I mark the spot on the steer, disassemble the front end and make the cut. It is a bit more work but I like it.

BL

Dave Wages
02-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Isn't that why you guys get the big bucks? ;)

By the way, very nice work on finished product.

Where are these big bucks you speak of?... ;)

Thanks for the compliment.

Cheers,
Dave

cmg
02-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Nice work Dave. Saw it in Austin last year.