PDA

View Full Version : Look at the cost of cars!

700 x 23c
08-19-2005, 08:49 AM
I recently bought a nice Honda Accord family car for around 25K(can't remember exactly). This complements our 1999 car which is probably worth less than my bicycle. I had trouble with the concept of owning an "expensive" bicycle, but there is not way I was going to, or will ever likely, part with the money required to own a new BMW-like sedan. I get on the road everyday and see vehicles that cost 2 to 4 times what my new car cost. Imagine how many high-end bicycles they could have owned if they would have simply purchased a very nice Honda!

Everyone spends their money and prioritizes expenses differently. We all love cycling and spend a lot more money and time on the activity than most people think is reasonable. I bet that over the cost of just a few years, cycling cost me less than golf costs some of my buddies.

I am sure this new high-end Serotta will find its market and I look forward to hearing the first ride report that makes it seem like we are all riding on old-harsh aluminum frames.

Ray
08-19-2005, 09:23 AM
The rationalizing has to start really friggin' early for an $8000 bicycle, eh?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

-Ray

JohnS
08-19-2005, 09:27 AM
That's how I afforded my Concours. I bought a Ford Focus instead of a VW GTI.

BURCH
08-19-2005, 09:36 AM
I have a paid off 98 Ford Ranger (that is pretty trusty still). The new Serotta is definately worth more than my truck. I wouldn't have it any other way though.

znfdl
08-19-2005, 09:48 AM
That is why I have a 15+ old Spectrum Ti with over a 100K miles on the frame. I usually put more miles on my bikes in a year than I do my car......

JasonF
08-19-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm a car nut, and on the other side of the expensive bike vs. expensive car equation. I'll troll every day on Ebay looking for a good value in a used bike, but didn't think twice when I bought my 911 last December.

I got a pretty good deal on a Concours 'cross back a few months ago, and just picked up a De Rosa Giro on Ebay Germany. I love hunting for used bikes, but I'll be the first to admit that over time I probably spend(waste) more $$$ on used bikes over getting 1 really, really nice bike.

george
08-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Like 700x23cc said in the original post "Everyone spends their money and prioritizes expenses differently" For me to spend six large on a Serotta CDA last September was money well spent/invested and I am still reaping the benifits and I will continue to buy high end bicycles. I know people how spend thousands of dollars on luxury watches, grandfather clocks, fountain pens, and many more items that tickles their fancy :)

sg8357
08-19-2005, 12:48 PM
[QUOTE=JasonF]I'm a car nut, and on the other side of the expensive bike vs. expensive car equation. I'll troll every day on Ebay looking for a good value in a used bike, but didn't think twice when I bought my 911 last December. snipQUOTE]

As a reformed car nut, I realized that I could ride my bike at 10/10s,
have a lot fun and scare the bejezuzs out of my self. Do the same
stuff in a car and Mr. Policeman comes around to spoil the fun, followed
by Mr. Insurance Agent to clean out your wallet. Also my bike is more
portable than a 911, I can pack the bike up and ride around France.
Getting the 911 to France would involve the Ohio Nat'l Guard and
large green airplanes, so bikes it is. Unless I can find a 1929 Bently
in a barn someplace I'll stick with bikes.

Bobbo
08-20-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm a car nut, and on the other side of the expensive bike vs. expensive car equation. I'll troll every day on Ebay looking for a good value in a used bike, but didn't think twice when I bought my 911 last December.

I got a pretty good deal on a Concours 'cross back a few months ago, and just picked up a De Rosa Giro on Ebay Germany. I love hunting for used bikes, but I'll be the first to admit that over time I probably spend(waste) more $$$ on used bikes over getting 1 really, really nice bike.

Am I the only one cringing at the sight of that bike leaning against that beautiful german road rocket? Get that bike away from the car!